• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport is extremely limited in offline mode (no saves, unlocks, etc..)

WoolyNinja

We live in a connected world where everyone is connected 24/7 yet people are up in arms about this game requiring online. I don't understand the controversy here. And I'm getting old, so you'd think I'd be the one resistant to change?

I'll say it once more but if you enjoy Gran Turismo, or racing games in general you really need to at least find a way to try GT Sport. This is the most fun I've had with a racing game in years and I LOVE F1 2017 (just look at my post history -- it was all I could talk about a few weeks ago). This game does online racing right. If that means needing to be always connected to the internet so be it. I play games to enjoy myself and I'll be doing that with GT Sport.

GHG

Gold Member
leonardo-dicaprio-shutter-island.jpg

Stop it you guys!

I don't understand how you're still here.

farisr

We live in a connected world where everyone is connected 24/7 yet people are up in arms about this game requiring online. I don't understand the controversy here. And I'm getting old, so you'd think I'd be the one resistant to change?

I'll say it once more but if you enjoy Gran Turismo, or racing games in general you really need to at least find a way to try GT Sport. This is the most fun I've had with a racing game in years and I LOVE F1 2017 (just look at my post history -- it was all I could talk about a few weeks ago). This game does online racing right. If that means needing to be always connected to the internet so be it. I play games to enjoy myself and I'll be doing that with GT Sport.
My home connection is completely stable.

I have an issue with this.

I don't want my gameplay time to be effected by when they decide to take their servers down for maintenance. My time is limited already, it just puts another additional annoyance if my free time during the week happens to coincide with their servers going down.

And this is Sony we're talking about. They are not known to keep running their online services forever.

I don't support this kind of a thing for games that don't justify it, and GT Sport definitely does not. Obviously Sport mode and online multiplayer is reliant on their servers, so if the game was just that, there'd be no point in complaining. But the game does have an offline portion which you can make progress in and earn cars with and that should not be stifled by something like this.

Drifters

If you guys want to embrace the online so much, go ask us PES users over the years how "Fun" their game is when the servers are offline.

Who owns the Gran Turismo ip? Is it possible for Sony to cease relationships with polyphony and give the franchise to some other developer?

rokkerkory

Just because everything is moving towards IoT ie always connected doesn't mean you have you have to be just to enjoy a game. What about millions that dont have reliable internet?

It's like the reveal of xbox one where always on was mandated and that was wrong too.

Crayon

farisr

Who owns the Gran Turismo ip? Is it possible for Sony to cease relationships with polyphony and give the franchise to some other developer?
polyphony is a Sony internal studio. It's Sonys ip. This won't happen unless a gt game comes out and bombs big time. And that isn't going to happen with this one that's for sure.

polyphony is a Sony internal studio. It's their ip. This won't happen unless a gt game comes out and bombs big time. And that isn't going to happen with this one that's for sure.

Could Sony remove Kazunori from the studio and put somebody else in charge then?

I know it’s not going to happen, but it’s just an hypthetical. Could it happen?

farisr

Could Sony remove Kazunori from the studio and put somebody else in charge then?

I know it's not going to happen, but it's just an hypthetical. Could it happen?
Well if we're just talking hypotheticals, sony could hand tell Naughty Dog to make a GT game if they felt like it, they have full control over the IP and what happens with it, as well as their internal studios.

But yeah so far, despite baffling issues in GT games over the years, it still sells like hotcakes, and as long as that keeps happening, Sony seems to have no issues letting things continue as they are.

This is however the most drastic change a GT game has had, so while this game is guaranteed to sell a lot, word of mouth may not be so kind and could effect the next game in the franchise (and possibly the sales legs of this title after the first few weeks). But again, this is only if the word of mouth is bad.

Fukuzatsu

I'm not too fussed about online checks, BUT I always hope that when the servers go offline that they eventually patch it to allow for offline play. Whether that entails making it so all cars and tracks are available without saving, or modifying it to allow offline saving, I don't know, but something would be good.

I say this because some time ago I bought GT5 after hearing it was fun (though of course the multiplayer was dead), and I think it goes without saying that if I had booted that game up only to find it basically didn't function, I would've been pretty unhappy.

And talking about server shutdowns, Sony's not been fantastic about them lately--just look at Gravity Rush 2.

DC without the online challenges during the race would not be very DC

I've never used any of the online features in DC and always had a blast playing. With the amount of offline content available, there's no need. Polyphony should've taken a few lessons from all the things DC did right. Its SP tour content is much more engaging than GTS's challenge mode.

cakely

Ok, so I did a little science with the game.

Booted up GTS, then took my PS4 offline.

I was able to play arcade mode with no issues, and for winning, I was given a reward in credits (about 6000cr). This added to my total.

However, the "save button" was greyed out at this point, meaning, the additional credits weren't yet on my online account. When I reconnected to the network, I was able to save without issue, and then credits went on my account.

If I closed GTS, or turned off the PS4 before reconnecting to the network, the credits were lost, permanently.

If I put the PS4 into safe mode, then brought it back, and then connected to the network, the credits were saved.

TLDR; GTS does NOT have a local save. You can accumulate credits while offline but they need to be saved when your console is online.

TLDR; GTS does NOT have a local save. You can accumulate credits while offline but they need to be saved when your console is online.
Ouch.

So this is about as minimal as possible offline support for these modes, only fitting for short outages where you don't leave the game session. Was hoping it would at least persist after the game had closed, and then uploaded next time you played provided connectivity was restored.

Thanks for the testing.

Fredrik

Forza too?

This shit in general is unacceptable.

This industry is fucked.

Playing FM7 and being bombarded with loot boxes, hearing the SW Visceral news, Activision steering people to loot boxes...

What a fucking depressing time...
That's a bug on Maintainance side, people are already playing Forza 7 offline. But yeah even if it's a bug it's a problem since their offline permission system obviously isn't 100% working, which it needs to be. And considering the always online defense force here and how popular GT and PS4 is, Yup this industry is f***ed, in 2 years or so this will be the norm, it happened to online gaming subscriptions, it'll happen with this. People need to speak up, but too many aren't.

I can see how people would buy it assuming it's like all the past ones. The subtitle "sport" is supposed to convey the difference somehow but it doesn't do a very good job.

Of course they will. Quite a lot. Doesn't mean a 2017 iteration of a 20 years old franchise isn't allowed to reinvent itself. It will - and has already - pissed off a lot of fans, but will attract new fans who expect that a racing game on a console finally nails online racing by motivating players to drive (more) fair and do everything to prevent online cheating, which is one of the most frustrating things that can happen, FIA license or not.

Having said that, I actually belong to the first group (the pissed off ones) and will buy the game later once more offline content is present (a discount wouldn't hurt, either).

Last word, people blaming they need to connect a console to the internet in 2017 starts getting funny. For the love of god, I have fucken light bulbs and what not connected. As if more than one percent of those getting their jimmies massively rustled here haven't connected their console to the internet all the time anyhow...

Well I have an issue with it, because on starting the game for the first time early this morning, all I'm met with is "can't connect to servers"

If you are going to insist that people are always online, then make sure you are always online yourselves you fucking arseholes.

Crayon

Of course they will. Quite a lot. Doesn't mean a 2017 iteration of a 20 years old franchise isn't allowed to reinvent itself. It will - and has already - pissed off a lot of fans, but will attract new fans who expect that a racing game on a console finally nails online racing by motivating players to drive (more) fair and do everything to prevent online cheating, which is one of the most frustrating things that can happen, FIA license or not.

Having said that, I actually belong to the first group (the pissed off ones) and will buy the game later once more offline content is present (a discount wouldn't hurt, either).

Last word, people blaming they need to connect a console to the internet in 2017 starts getting funny. For the love of god, I have fucken light bulbs and what not connected. As if more than one percent of those getting their jimmies massively rustled here haven't connected their console to the internet all the time anyhow...

The game is fire and I'm sure many people will be pleasantly surprised when it's not what they expected. But I'm still thinking the sport moniker was meant to communicate this move to a competitive service platform... An it doesn't adequately do that.

All said, tho its not really a big deal. For better or worse, the new GT is an online game and you can't please everyone.

Kashiwaba

Well if we're just talking hypotheticals, sony could hand tell Naughty Dog to make a GT game if they felt like it, they have full control over the IP and what happens with it, as well as their internal studios.

But yeah so far, despite baffling issues in GT games over the years, it still sells like hotcakes, and as long as that keeps happening, Sony seems to have no issues letting things continue as they are.

This is however the most drastic change a GT game has had, so while this game is guaranteed to sell a lot, word of mouth may not be so kind and could effect the next game in the franchise (and possibly the sales legs of this title after the first few weeks). But again, this is only if the word of mouth is bad.

Judging from the smooth launch and no Problems with online play on first day, i don't really think the game will have a bad word of mouth, unless somehow psn servers gets messed up sometime soon or something unexpected happens. Most ps4 are probably connected online and i doubt anyone will notice the game not working (sp not fully accessible offline) i know that i didn't notice that till i read this thread and i consider myself more knowledgeable about gaming news than the average gamer.

Surfheart

I can accept that an internet connection is required. I haven't really followed the game other than being aware that a new "GT" game is coming out. I knew that they were concentrating on multiplayer but I didn't realise that it would to the detriment of the other traditional modes.

I admit that the old caRPG stuff was getting a bit stale, been there and done that so many times in both Forza and GT franchises, but it seems on first glance that the sport mode seems very limiting in that there are only 3 races a day, you may end up being unable to play at all if you can't play at certain times due to real life interruptions or at the least will be stuck with nothing to do but qualifying laps while you wait for the race to start. Then I heard that the competition mode is not live yet and that when it does start that you can only compete in a single round?

Is there at least some sort of progression in the single player modes? Any incentive to play them? I'd take something as simple as gold/silver/bronze cups.. this is a video game after all.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Oh how the tables have turned. This thread is hella interesting.

Kashiwaba

I can accept that an internet connection is required. I haven't really followed the game other than being aware that a new "GT" game is coming out. I knew that they were concentrating on multiplayer but I didn't realise that it would to the detriment of the other traditional modes.

I admit that the old caRPG stuff was getting a bit stale, been there and done that so many times in both Forza and GT franchises, but it seems on first glance that the sport mode seems very limiting in that there are only 3 races a day, you may end up being unable to play at all if you can't play at certain times due to real life interruptions or at the least will be stuck with nothing to do but qualifying laps while you wait for the race to start. Then I heard that the competition mode is not live yet and that when it does start that you can only compete in a single round?

Is there at least some sort of progression in the single player modes? Any incentive to play them? I'd take something as simple as gold/silver/bronze cups.. this is a video game after all.
There is a race every 20 minutes and there is lobbies + there is sp races in arcade and driving school, the game is not short on contents at all it's just how it's presented and how people nitpick.

From my post in the OT:

There is Driving School, Missions and Circuit Experience, as well as Single Race, Time Trial, Drift Trial and Custom Race in Arcade mode. All net you credits, driver XP and mileage. Driver XP levels you up and unlocks some early features as well as tracks in Arcade mode. Mileage is another type of currency that you can spend on select Cars, Driver Gear like helmets and poses and Livery options like colors and design elements. You also get random car prizes at certain level ups, and when completing game and event milestones.

That's all outside of Sport mode, the competitive multiplayer skill-ranked races. There's definitely progression to be found in the non-Sports modes.

All of that stuff still feels like a career mode to me, but laser focused on improving your skills, your understanding of racing with others, and mastering each track. I can learn more in 30 minutes of Circuit Experience than in days of effort in the career modes of other games.

Gradly

I wonder why people who played the beta or the full game earlier didn't mention that specifically, or they did? I hate online stuff and I may have waited a bit before I decided to purchase the game. The game is downloaded but still gonna check it out after I finish work

Kashiwaba

I wonder why people who played the beta or the full game earlier didn't mention that specifically, or they did? I hate online stuff and I may have waited a bit before I decided to purchase the game. The game is downloaded but still gonna check it out after I finish work

Beta was about stressing online servers and always being online.

There was no offline support at all in the demo, so that they could use the connection to verify when to end it.

Crayon

In the trial last week, when you were diconnected, everything stopped working but that was expected because it was a limited trial.

There was supposedly some clarification about arcade mode, etc being available offline, but the fact that it can't save your progress offline is news to me and apparently many more.

score01

It's like the reveal of xbox one where always on was mandated and that was wrong too.

Can someone explain to me how this is like the Xbox reveal where all games were drm’ed and needed an online check every 24 hours in order to carry on working?

Aren’t there other online only games? How different is this from an MMO’s online requirement? It sucks that the arcade component doesn’t save if there is no internet connection but I’m struggling to see how these two scenarios equate?

c0de

“Who isn’t connected to the internet in 2017?”

Well, there are of course now even more people connected to the internet than in 2013, this is still growing. But the internet access itself as a service didn't really get better in terms of outages so the argument is still: what happens when you are offline. That most people connect their consoles to the internet nowadays is a given like 4 years ago.

Gradly

Beta was about stressing online servers and always being online.

There was no offline support at all in the demo, so that they could use the connection to verify when to end it.

In the trial last week, when you were diconnected, everything stopped working but that was expected because it was a limited trial.

There was supposedly some clarification about arcade mode, etc being available offline, but the fact that it can't save your progress offline is news to me and apparently many more.

Aha I see. I hope that progress save issue gets patched because it doesn't make since. Personally it's not an issue as yesterday I installed a 100mb internet connection and got KS8500 so I'm ready to try it in 4k/HDR but before that I had horrible internet connection with average of 4mb. Anyway, Always online sucks no matter what

Many people in beta thread pointed out that saves are online only, its where I actually heard about it for first time.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Well, there are of course now even more people connected to the internet than in 2013, this is still growing. But the internet access itself as a service didn't really get better in terms of outages so the argument is still: what happens when you are offline. That most people connect their consoles to the internet nowadays is a given like 4 years ago.

Oh I agree. But the use of that as an argument in favour of something Sony is what’s interesting.

oti

Banned
Exactly. There is no 'single player' and 'multiplayer' progress. Its one progress. The cars you get to play in 'single player' are the same ones that you can use to play 'multiplayer'... even the "Scape" mode is locked to the cars you own.

You play and you progress. It's like if you would play a Call of Duty campaign, earn points and buy stuff (weapons, perks etc) for the online mode. NO! Those modes are separate: which is also a reason why some people don't even touch the single player content.

Yeah it can be annoying when they do some maintenance... but it also makes the game better as a whole: The game is focused on the online races. To do so they expect you to be a good driver and earn the cars based on your own ability. Having the 'single player' locked to online saves (WHICH IS NOT PS+ LOCKED) is a measure to make sure the system works. You play the challenges, get the licenses, earn some cars for that, but you are also getting better at the game, respecting the brake points and such thing, all this counts for you to come online and DONT BE A STUPID DRIVER.

Thanks for this post, it cleared up some stuff for me who didn't really know what this GT was all about. Sounds more like they have a vision and are ready to compromise traditional singleplayer elements to fully embrace that vision. Sounds more avant-garde than a company taking features away. In the end it's still pretty awkward, now I can appreciate their reasoning behind those decisions though.

Gradly

Many people in beta thread pointed out that saves are online only, its where I actually heard about it for first time.

I didn't follow the game news like crazy but at least there was no thread like this one created about it. It's definitely a big news worth spreading

Syriel

I can't tell who's being deliberately stupid or actually surprised anymore, so instead of talking in circles let's clear up everything:

They should put the online requirements on the back of the box!

They put it on the front of the box.

Of course none of that is actually mentioned on the PSN store page.

Welcome to the future of motorsports – the definitive motor racing experience is back and better than ever only on PlayStation 4.

Gran Turismo Sport is the world's first racing experience to be built from the ground up to bring global, online competitions sanctioned by the highest governing body of international motorsports, the FIA (Federation International Automobile). Create your legacy as you represent and compete for your home country or favorite manufacturer through multiple race class, including GT3, Prototype, Rally, and more.

VR Optional: Supports most vehicles and all tracks in dedicated PS VR Mode.

Online features require an account and are subject to terms of service and applicable privacy policy (playstationnetwork.com/terms-of-service & playstationnetwork.com/privacy-policy).

Online Play (Optional)
PlayStation®VR Compatible
PlayStation®Camera Compatible

Software subject to license (us.playstation.com/softwarelicense). Online features require an account and are subject to terms of service and applicable privacy policy (playstationnetwork.com/terms-of-service & playstationnetwork.com/privacy-policy). One-time license fee for play on account's designated primary PS4™ system and other PS4™ systems when signed in with that account.

© 2017 Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc. Developed by Polyphony Digital Inc. Manufacturers, cars, names, brands and associated imagery featured in this game in some cases include trademarks and/or copyrighted materials of their respective owners. All rights reserved. Any depiction or recreation of real world locations, entities, businesses, or organizations is not intended to be or imply any sponsorship or endorsement of this game by such party or parties. 'Gran Turismo' logos are registered trademarks of Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...h36ugKeEAAYASAAEgIvsPD_BwE&emcid=pa-st-111690

So while it's fun being a smartass on a forum, it would be very easy for someone to miss the whole "Online Only" thing.

Physical buyers are covered. Digital buyers get misleading text.

Ok, so I did a little science with the game.

Booted up GTS, then took my PS4 offline.

I was able to play arcade mode with no issues, and for winning, I was given a reward in credits (about 6000cr). This added to my total.

However, the "save button" was greyed out at this point, meaning, the additional credits weren't yet on my online account. When I reconnected to the network, I was able to save without issue, and then credits went on my account.

If I closed GTS, or turned off the PS4 before reconnecting to the network, the credits were lost, permanently.

If I put the PS4 into safe mode, then brought it back, and then connected to the network, the credits were saved.

So, storm in a teacup then?

Top Bottom