• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport is extremely limited in offline mode (no saves, unlocks, etc..)

Maloney

I knew from the start this was an online focussed game. By and large I don't partake in online games because I just don't have the spare time to put in to it. And with that in mind I decided to give it a miss.

Come the playable beta, I had a quick play on arcade and by the time I had finished the servers were down, which I had a bit of a rant about. Once the servers were back up I played some online, and it is indeed a great game.

I've been teetering on the edge of buying since. As much I love GT, this sort of online requirement really bugs me though.

It's my loss but I'm voting with my wallet. I'll only pick this up when it's in the bargain bin because I just can't spend 50 quid on a game that may not work because I'm offline for whatever reason, be it my internet or Sony servers.

Sintoid

I can understand the choice of making a racing game mainly online but each of the compliant made here have reason to be. Console market is different from PC mainly because of online paywall so my question is: why don't you (Sony and Microsoft) give one month of online subscription included with the game (even fifteen days are ok)? How much does a Plus/Live month costs? 3-4 euros? You can hide that cost in the final price of the game if you don't want to give it for free, no one will blame you but at least you won't have consumers completely blocked from playing games you sell at full price.
That's how it worked in the early days of XBox live if I remember correclty

No saves? Fuck off.

These kind of games need a "Requires Plus membership" sticker on the cover.

$60 for a demo, disgusting.

I can understand the choice of making a racing game mainly online but each of the compliant made here have reason to be. Console market is different from PC mainly because of online paywall so my question is: why don't you (Sony and Microsoft) give one month of online subscription included with the game (even fifteen days are ok)? How much does a Plus/Live month costs? 3-4 euros? You can hide that cost in the final price of the game if you don't want to give it for free, no one will blame you but at least you won't have consumers completely blocked from playing games you sell at full price.
That's how it worked in the early days of XBox live if I remember correclty

You only require plus to access sport mode. It's not $60 for a demo at all, even without plus you can still save your progress and engage with various online features, just not races against other players (to be expected). Sure, it's a game that's very heavy on online features, but at least you can still play all the races / with all the cars while offline. Content wise, it's almost all there and if you have any form of internet connection you can access all but direct online races. No one is 'completed blocked off from playing the game' here.

It's fair enough to be disgruntled, but let's not misrepresent the issue.

farisr

Sometimes electricity goes out. I will not purchase a vacuum cleaner.

Please understand folks.
adamfzjil.jpg

dose

It's possible that they may patch out the online requirements when that's due to happen.
I really can't see that happening. I don't recall any dev/publisher ever doing that and if they have they are the exception. So yes, once the servers are taken down you won't be able to play GTS.

Sintoid

You only require plus to access sport mode. It's not $60 for a demo at all, even without plus you can still save your progress and engage with various online features, just not races against other players (to be expected). Sure, it's a game that's very heavy on online features, but at least you can still play all the races / with all the cars while offline. Content wise, it's almost all there and if you have any form of internet connection you can access all but direct online races. No one is 'completed blocked off from playing the game' here.

It's fair enough to be disgruntled, but let's not misrepresent the issue.

I know, you're right but think about it. 15 days of included online gaming is that an unaffordable price to pay or it could give the opportunity to try the online features and maybe appreciate them and buy a full Plus Subscription?

horkrux

It sucks that it doesn't work for you, but the fact that its not universally an issue explains pretty obviously why there's less noise made. There would likely be less noise regardless, because someone having their PC offline is probably a lot rarer than having a console offline in the first place, but combine that with it actually working, and not being an issue with the game itself, and you have your answer. It's a Windows Store issue if anything, and the Windows Store certainly doesn't have a history of dodging criticism.

Also, if it helps, it appears that you can toggle the offline permissions as many times as you want, so long as its the same PC. I just took the risk for you.

Now try and reboot your PC with the connection still turned off -> stops working.

I don't know whether that's a problem on my end, but it makes the feature less useful.

FinalAres

Two things:
2. Even if I were to entertain the thought that potential currency cheating is some extremely horrible thing for other players, it would be no problem and not much work at all, to allow for offline profiles for single player modes, where, if you play in those modes, you can only earn credits for local play.

I'm only highlighting the second point because on the first point we just fundamentally disagree, there's no conversation to be had there. Not to edit what you're saying.

On point 2...but this is an online game. And you're asking for an offline mode...Fine you like offline games. That's not what this is. So why are you asking for a different game? There's a point where you're no longer criticising the game for its faults, but criticising the game for what it is. I see exactly the same thing with FF14 and FF11 all the time. People criticise those games simple for being MMOs. It's laughable.

Synth

Now try and reboot your PC with the connection still turned off -> stops working.

I don't know whether that's a problem on my end, but it makes the feature less useful.

Not in a position for a reboot right now, but I'll assume its consistently reproducible, as it would make sense to explain the different experiences.

That wouldn't change the fact that it'd be a Windows or Windows Store issue, and not a Forza Motorpsort issue. Before my brother got FM7 working offline, he was similarly unable to play any other Play Anywhere title offline. Maintenance was questioning why Forza Motorsport 7 wasn't being called out for always-online requirements, and the reason is because it doesn't actually have any. It got mercilessly dragged for the issue it did have (lootboxes), and is actually the reason I had to get someone else to try FM7 offline, because I refunded my own copy as a result of that, and still don't own it.

akileese

I remember them saying it was online focused initially and in the run up, but around this summer we started to get those reports about how it was 85% single player content. This whole thing seems weird as hell. I'm wondering if preorder numbers were lagging because of the online focused content so they decided to change up their marketing message this summer?

//DEVIL//

If they dont fix the game to be offline as well. I am not gonna buy the game for 10$ even.

I am a collector. i still have GT on PS1. I dont play it, but from time to time I show it to my friends for giggles on how graphics and game improved. I wont be able to do that when Sony shutdown their servers few years from now. so pass.

i said the same thing about the last Need for Speed game. and still didnt buy it when its dirt cheap.

to me Online only games should be Free to play. but if i am paying upfront for a fucking game. i better be able to play it any time I want any year I want. Period.

-1 sale from me ( which means nothing to Sony i know)

Crayon

“Who isn’t connected to the internet in 2017?”

Oh I see. So when Ms had a whole console that needed to be online to tie disc purchases to one person and train a camera on you, and everyone said Sony would do it too, this is what they meant. So they were right: Sony, too. Gosh how the tables have turned.

AerialAir

Banned
No saves? Fuck off.

These kind of games need a "Requires Plus membership" sticker on the cover.

$60 for a demo, disgusting.

/thread
Honestly, anyone interested in a carrear mode and offline play is better off with PC2, the better racing game for PS4 at this point IMO.

Kill3r7

I read that in the commentogracy voice.

As it was meant to be read. All kidding aside, at first glance GTS does not look like the sort of game you play for 30min here or there. That said, if they pull it off, the game has the potential to be one of the best competitive online racers ever. Arguably the best depending on how well the ranking system is implemented.

otapnam

As it was meant to be read. All kidding aside, at first glance GTS does not look like the sort of game you play for 30min here or there. That said, if they pull it off, the game has the potential to be one of the best competitive online racers ever. Arguably the best depending on how well the ranking system is implemented.

The races are every 20 minutes. You could plan to start one at a specific time and get your 30 minutes in daily

Kill3r7

The races are every 20 minutes. You could plan to start one at a specific time and get your 30 minutes in daily

Operative word is plan. Outside of Destiny raids there is little planned/scheduled gaming time in my life. With work, wife and two kids my schedule is not my own.

EDIT: Anyhow, my opinion might change as I spend more time with the game.

spwolf

indeed... and plus you likely need 10 minutes to set qualifying lap properly.

So easily get 20-30 minutes of gaming per day with it, and sense of accomplishment as well.

Y'all can be salty or be defending, but this is being mentioned by reviewers and is affecting the review score. Surely, publishers and developers care about metascore more than pleasing FIA, and this game getting a high 70 is not a good sign.

Tomeru

Y'all can be salty or be defending, but this is being mentioned by reviewers and is affecting the review score. Surely, publishers and developers care about metascore more than pleasing FIA, and this game getting a high 70 is not a good sign.

The only thing that matters are sales, and there is no indication yet of that. Review scores don't matter for racing games (from what I can tell).

Behlel

Its not the same thing, Overwatch is an online multiplayer game, which is fine. GT:Sport has a single player component which doesn't work if you are offline.
Just like diablo 3 on PC, and there was a lot of lag in the first weeks of release. And yet it sold a tons of copies.

shandy706

The only thing that matters are sales, and there is no indication yet of that. Review scores don't matter for racing games (from what I can tell).

..and that's helping make games worse unfortunately. People buy games up front, full price, despite bad practices. I now buy all games I want at a discount, or as cheap as I can if they have things I don't like in them.

See Shadow of War...and I'm sure Battlefront II will sell TONS. I really want BFII....but I'm going to hold off till it's cheaper.

I fully expect GT:S to sell truckloads.

Top Bottom