• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport is extremely limited in offline mode (no saves, unlocks, etc..)

..and that's helping make games worse unfortunately. People buy games up front, full price, despite bad practices. I now buy all games I want at a discount, or as cheap as I can if they have things I don't like in them.

See Shadow of War...and I'm sure Battlefront II will sell TONS. I really want BFII....but I'm going to hold off till it's cheaper.

I fully expect GT:S to sell truckloads.

GT:S will sell truckloads maybe down the line when it's half off, but not at launch.

cakely

If you cant save your progress you cant play the game. End of story. The edge case of "I can technically boot the game as long as I never turn off my system is some 1985 NES bullS#!t.

I'm not "defending" the way this was implemented but you actually can play a portion of GTS offline. GTS is slightly less restrictive than a server-side game like Destiny, Overwatch or Diablo III PC. It's not ideal, but at least it's something.

Luckydog

I'm not "defending" the way this was implemented but you actually can play a portion of GTS offline. GTS is slightly less restrictive than a server-side game like Destiny, Overwatch or Diablo III PC. It's not ideal, but at least it's something.

This was less a statement on you defending and more a statement on what they are doing is crap. There is nothing wrong with an online only game, I just don't think they properly marketed it that way no matter what the defense force says. I think most people expected the online racing to be the meat of the game. Few thought you couldnt even pass license tests and gain money offline.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sometimes electricity goes out. I will not purchase a vacuum cleaner.

Please understand folks.
I buy console games that require electricity, but not those that require internet. Basically the same thing as vacuum cleaners here.

I'm only highlighting the second point because on the first point we just fundamentally disagree, there's no conversation to be had there. Not to edit what you're saying.

On point 2...but this is an online game. And you're asking for an offline mode...Fine you like offline games. That's not what this is. So why are you asking for a different game? There's a point where you're no longer criticising the game for its faults, but criticising the game for what it is. I see exactly the same thing with FF14 and FF11 all the time. People criticise those games simple for being MMOs. It's laughable.
Gran Turismo is not an MMO though. I do not complain about the online requirements of FF11 / 14, they are inherent to the design and cannot be avoided. But having an optional offline counter for currency is nothing difficult to do or strange thing to ask for. Demanding online for single player content is absolutely unreasonable.

I'm not thrilled about this but in the end I bought the game because the positives outweighed the negatives, for me personally.

When the time comes, I would like to see Sony put out a final patch allowing for offline progression and saving when they inevitably shut down the servers.

Eh, it kinda makes sense that the progression system would require you to be online.
I can buy into the whole "cheaters" thing.

You can still play arcade, split screen, VR mode, while offline right? Progress just won't be accumulated?

I think anyone with a stable internet connection (a lot of ppl) shouldn't pass on the game simply because it requires it. From the demo I played there are so many positives that passing on it for that reason is silly.

I know, you're right but think about it. 15 days of included online gaming is that an unaffordable price to pay or it could give the opportunity to try the online features and maybe appreciate them and buy a full Plus Subscription?

Probably isn't worth the paper you'd have to print the codes on, to be honest. I imagine it's quite a bit of extra effort to push codes out, and they probably have data that reflects that there's not much benefit from that type of strategy.

Could be wrong though. Maybe Sony are just sleeping on what could be, a good opportunity to promote plus, and all the while allowing people without plus to experience more of their game. In general though I imagine the people without plus just don't want to play online.

Vuci

..and that's helping make games worse unfortunately. People buy games up front, full price, despite bad practices. I now buy all games I want at a discount, or as cheap as I can if they have things I don't like in them.

See Shadow of War...and I'm sure Battlefront II will sell TONS. I really want BFII....but I'm going to hold off till it's cheaper.

I fully expect GT:S to sell truckloads.

Is GTS requiring online (the entire focus of the game has been online competitions) really as bad or worse than the loot boxes in other games? Seems like it based on the reactions here.

Cheat prevention alone seems like a valid reason to have this for me.

MaDKaT

Is GTS requiring online (the entire focus of the game has been online competitions) really as bad or worse than the loot boxes in other games? Seems like it based on the reactions here.

Absolutely. No reason offline progress should require and internet connection.

Kaze13

If you enjoy "racing" in racing games, then this is the game for you. All I know is that I am immensely enjoying this game. I think about it every moment of my day. I found that I am playing the single player stuff more at the moment rather than going online. The drive of getting golds in all sections and, eventually, trying to be my friends' times on my leaderboard is good fun. I'll eventually fall into playing Sport mode all the time.

If you enjoy "racing" in racing games, then this is the game for you. All I know is that I am immensely enjoying this game. I think about it every moment of my day. I found that I am playing the single player stuff more at the moment rather than going online. The drive of getting golds in all sections and, eventually, trying to be my friends' times on my leaderboard is good fun. I'll eventually fall into playing Sport mode all the time.

So the guys who like Driveclub and are serious about it and really skilled, but don't like GTS, they're not enjoying "racing" really.
Guys like Rubens Barrichello and Dale Earnhardt Jr. who race in iRacing (without getting paid for it) but not console games, they don't like "racing" I guess.
[of course there are famous guys who play everything a little, like Hamilton and Verstappen]

No, common man, don't make these generalized statements.

mike6467

Ugh, I was trying to reconcile my apprehension with what I was seeing here and then pick up the game. Then I watched the GB quick look and Jesus. It pretty much nailed the coffin shut. Maybe next time? I guess I need to give Project Cars 2 a look.

farisr

Lots of people with super duper solid internet connections having issues with their saves due to server hiccups in the OT over the last few hours. But hey, it's totally not an issue at all.

GHG

Gold Member
So theoretically, you'd need to wait 20 minutes to race?

You have 20 minutes to qualify and set up your car.

That's the point of there being a waiting period before the race.

If you want constant back to back races then there are lobbies for that.

TBiddy

They actually changed it tonight to every 5 minutes, so it does appear they're listening to feedback.

You have 20 minutes to qualify and set up your car.

That's the point of there being a waiting period before the race.

If you want constant back to back races then there are lobbies for that.

Thanks, that sounds a lot better. The plan is to buy a cheap PS4 somewhere down the line to play GT:S, just as I did with GT5 and GT6.

Hopefully the worst kinks (such as the 20 minute wait and no offline-progress) has been ironed out by then.

Absolutely. No reason offline progress should require and internet connection.

The issue is that single player stuff can affect multiplayer.

A good example of this is console Diablo 3. If you play online with randoms, its guaranteed you will mm with someone with modded gear or boosted levels from modded save files.

farisr

A good example of this is console Diablo 3. If you play online with randoms, its guaranteed you will mm with someone with modded gear or boosted levels from modded save files.
The game itself lowers the power levels of cars accordingly in online matchups anyways, so that's not really an issue here.

Allowing credits. exp, mileage to be earned offline and that progress kept would have zero effect on multiplayer matches.

c0de

Then Sony should fix the way they save the files on disk, with proper encryption. If games are already broken online, they should fix that instead of going the way of GTS. All games would benefit from that then.

99Luffy

Banned
People will get mad, and then forget. No one complains about blizzard games anymore and they had a disastrous diablo launch. And every blizzard launch since has had problems with achievements being missed because of server outages.

farisr

People will get mad, and then forget. No one complains about blizzard games anymore and they had a disastrous diablo launch. And every blizzard launch since has had problems with achievements being missed because of server outages.
Yeah, just like they forgot for Hitman and need for speed right. Oh wait... one patched out most of its always online stuff and the other had its next entry in the franchise that went out of the way to advertise the game can be played offline.

cilonen

The bigger problem is that GT Sport is simply just extremely limited. I feel quite cheated TBH.

It's another Street Fighter 5 situation but there's no promise that the rest of the game will appear over time.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Yes, a lot worse. For game types that are built around heavy grind anyway, lootboxes are just a reduction of the nuisance but not necessary to play the game properly. Online requirements will kill the game after a certain point of time.

Pikma

Banned
Anyone want to do the rounds on the Xbone announcement thread on a per username basis with regards to this thread ?
What are you looking for here? What kind of information such a dumb and time wasting task would give us? Is there something in particular you want to prove?

GHG

Gold Member
Anyone want to do the rounds on the Xbone announcement thread on a per username basis with regards to this thread ?

Anyone want to do the rounds on seeing how many people are falling into the trap of false equivalence?

farisr

What are you looking for here? What kind of information such a dumb and time wasting task would give us? Is there something you want to prove?
No idea, do they want to compare the people who are against this here and see if they were against it there. Do they think that the people that are against it here were defending the xbox stance in that thread (basically implying xbox fans are the ones bringing up an issue with a playstation exclusive)? No idea what they want to accomplish.

But hey I'll make it easy for you 54-46!, I was a big opposer to the always online DRM thing for Xbox. And was even making a lot of facebook posts letting everyone I know that was into gaming, know how bad it was. (I rarely ever share anything gaming related on facebook) You're welcome.

Jumeira

Banned

Its a awful proposition, i cant play if Sony's servers are down (which will happen). Im still shocked at how the game monopolises so many features for online. Why not focus on making things more secure locally? this online requirement for saves is unacceptable, worse then loot for me, as it obstructs the entire game based on Sony's investment into thier services. Very troubling.

Laws00

I still hate blizzard for that. That's why I bought console release of Diablo 3

I can get over the game being limited offline but not being able to save your progress is a no no for me.

lupinko

No saves? Fuck off.

These kind of games need a "Requires Plus membership" sticker on the cover.

$60 for a demo, disgusting.

Actually, Sony in Japan has that on the cover for games like GT Sport and Overwatch, but you know Sony in the west would rather throw Console or PS Exclusive at you instead.

IISANDERII

Lootboxes are definitely worse. Being unable to play for a small fraction of the time due to connectivity issues is a con for GTS still.

But lootboxes pervade a game's design probably close to 100% of the time. The increase in grind alone can effect your tolerance for carrying on with the story for example. Fun gameplay will turn tedious if it's overly repetitious, costumes or skins will often be locked behind lootboxes etc.

Top Bottom