• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport is not Gran Turismo 7

Thank god we've finally got some sort of clarification. Many people (including me) were wondering whether this would be a mainline series entry (i.e. reboot of the series with a name change) or whether it was just like a prologue (but without the "prologue" bit). It's finally came directly from Sony that it's pretty much a prologue but with more content. I still don't think it's the next mainline entry in the series; that's reserved for GT7. I think this is just something to hold people off whilst receiving revenue to help further GT7 development, although this is just speculation of my part. I mean apparently it's full price too if we take Amazon's listing as word?

"Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's president and CEO Jim Ryan provided some clarity in the wake of Sony's conference at Paris Games Week.

"We're not announcing Gran Turismo 7 at this stage," he told Eurogamer.

"Fair to say [series director Kazunori Yamauchi] has been making these games for some considerable time now. I think it's reasonable to assume that something else might come down the road. Is it a Prologue? No, I think it'll be more than that.

"The old days, when the games were offline, the experience was defined by what's on the disc. You had a distinction between a Prologue and a full GT, it was very stark. When the game becomes more of an online connected experience, that distinction blurs. This will be much more than a Prologue type experience."

More at the article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-28-gran-turismo-sport-is-not-gran-turismo-7

Well it is called GT Sport and not GT7 sooo

Well there is no need for that sarcastic comment. People were still confused as to whether GT Sport had replaced GT7 and was akin to the next main line entry for the series. A lot of people were confused about this bud. All you have to do is check the GT7 Sport thread yesterday...

gtj1092

Um it's not any more clear lol. It's seems as if he is saying people who buy sport can upgrade it to a full gt7.

Um it's not any more clear lol. It's seems as if he is saying people who buy sport can upgrade it to a full gt7.

Well I personally believe it is clear as he said that it's not a main series entry like GT7 (or that it has replaced GT7), but rather it's just like a prologue of some sort (of course with a bit more stuff than the typical prologue). Not sure what you mean by the bolded sentence though?

Sounds like it'll be a spin off then. A bit like Forza Horizon and Forza Motorsport (obviously not open world though). Huh, guess I was wrong.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Well let's see how much content they'll offer. I wouldn't want this to be a game with a short campaign and with focus on multiplayer & esports.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The constant references to Prologue make me even more confused. Is Sport going to eventually lead in to 7?

Sounds like it'll be a spin off then. A bit like Forza Horizon and Forza Motorsport (obviously not open world though). Huh, guess I was wrong.

Wouldn't say it's a spin off. Not sure if you've played the previous GT prologues, but it's basically like that (except with a bit more content this time around).

The constant references to Prologue make me even more confused. Is Sport going to eventually lead in to 7?

Pretty much; at least I think it's that way otherwise being a spin-off wouldn't make any sense.

They do this type of prologue for the same reason Konami did Ground Zeroes: To boost the production budget of the main title (w/increased pre-release revenue) and to expand the audience with a taster that is more substantial than a demo with a single track (may be helpful for those non-PS3 owners who now own a PS4).

Man

Eh. This is clearly not a prologue situation.

It's not "GT7" as much as it is not "GT XL" or "GT 2016".

It's a franchise reset is what it is.

It seems to be full price too so I think its pretty big I say.

Well wasn't GT5 prologue $40? If what they said is anything to go by, because it offers a bit more than the typical prologue, it seems sensible to appreciate why it costs $60. What I meant is that it's not the next big Gran Turismo nor is it replacing Gran Turismo 7.

I bet this goes back and forth a bunch between now and the games release. One exec will say one thing and another, another.

I think GT Sport is something different. PD taking on the Service model of a online focused game that is updated and supported for a long time.

It is a new direction for the series. Not sure "GT7" is on the cards but maybe if this game tanks who knows, maybe the 7 could be a safety net. TBH it makes sense to drop numbers anyway once you get to a point unless you want to get all Final Fantasy crazy.

This is kind of balls. I think everyone would rather they moved away from the 'Prologue' style of games and just concentrated on full instalments. If they're having trouble releasing games more regularly maybe they need to cut down on the number of cars from 1200 to 200 and increase their studio size, for goodness sake!

Eh. This is clearly not a prologue situation.

It's not "GT7" as much as it is not "GT XL" or "GT 2016".

It's a franchise reset is what it is.

What makes you think that ^^

Also, I compared it to a prologue situation but of course it's not exactly the same (as it has more content), but I'd still argue that it's not the next big Gran Turismo game (unless I'm missing something here lol, I don't mind being proven wrong). I just thought the numbered ones, like Gran Turismo 7 would be the next main line entry in the series?

Wouldn't say it's a spin off. Not sure if you've played the previous GT prologues, but it's basically like that (except with a bit more content this time around).

I had GT5P, and this sounds like it'll be a lot more content rich than that was. I don't think this will be a similar situation from what we've been told so far. Time will tell, though.

Creating a game and to get it right takes a long time.

It's a lot better getting GT Sport than waiting even longer for a yet unannounced game. I'm defintetely buying it.

I had GT5P, and this sounds like it'll be a lot more content rich than that was. I don't think this will be a similar situation from what we've been told so far. Time will tell, though.

Fair point. You're right, only time will tell. What I mean though is it'll be like a prologue (but not exactly like it) as it will have much more content hence warranting a full price tag I think? Speaking of which...

It seems to be full price too so I think its pretty big I say.

Is there confirmation to it being full price?

Loudninja

Fair point. You're right, only time will tell. What I mean though is it'll be like a prologue (but not exactly like it) as it will have much more content hence warranting a full price tag I think? Speaking of which...

Is there confirmation to it being full price?
No confirmation just an Amazon listing they just out up

Damn sony you really are missing a geat opportunity, ps4 is on fire in europe, gt6 ot gt7 with mind blowing graphics should have been out already on ps4.

So basically GT Sport is like GT 7's Prologue, mixed with an online championship / competition. Good to get that cleared up though.

Damn sony you really are missing a geat opportunity, ps4 is on fire in europe, gt6 ot gt7 with mind blowing graphics should have been out already on ps4.

Well they did release GT6 on the PS3 one month after the PS4 came out. I think that says it all regarding how much (IMO) they screwed up. At least it should have been cross gen which would have possibly helped PS4 development of their next PS4 game. (Although I'd say that's mainly due to it being in development for PS3 for a long time). So yeah, that's caused quite a few problems tbh.

So basically GT Sport is like GT 7's Prologue, mixed with an online championship / competition. Good to get that cleared up though.

Pretty much; that's what I'd like to think (so I don't get confused any further!)

So it's another one of these "what does your heart tell you?" pitches where they don't want to just tell you what the damn product is that they're trying to sell you.

Though, to be fair, it sounds like Jim Ryan just genuinely doesn't know and probably wasn't the right person to ask.

jett

D-Member
I'm not sure they've clarified anything. Not sure how they didn't see this confusion coming.

So it's another one of these "what does your heart tell you?" pitches where they don't want to just tell you what the damn product is that they're trying to sell you.

Though, to be fair, it sounds like Jim Ryan just genuinely doesn't know and probably wasn't the right person to ask.

Yes, it's possible Jim Ryan himself is confused. :p Only Kaz can answer this.

Whompa02

I dony understand the 7-77 age thing, at all, in that case.

Why would they put that in? Obviously younger kids can appreciate it, and it goes against the 100 years messaging too. Just looks like an accident that that is edited in...especially if this isn't considered 7.

so when Yamauchi said in that Interview - that we don't have to wait until 2017 to play the next Gran Turismo - he was referring to Sports

which means the first mainline GT will come out 3-4 Years after the launch of the Ps4 :(

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The sales better be there because its hard not to look at Polyphony as a wildly out of control money-sink. GT's performed in the past but its feeling relic like at this juncture. GT6 on PS3 was a missed target and a half.

JamboGT

The sales better be there because its hard not to look at Polyphony as a wildly out of control money-sink. GT's performed in the past but its feeling relic like at this juncture. GT6 on PS3 was a missed target and a half.

I doubt there is a studio Sony has that had made them more money, impressive while being an out of control money sink!

I dony understand the 7-77 age thing, at all, in that case.

Why would they put that in? Obviously younger kids can appreciate it, and it goes against the 100 years messaging too. Just looks like an accident that that is edited in...especially if this isn't considered 7.

Did the 5 in Gran turismo 5 prologue mean it was GT5?

This clears up about 0% of the confusion.

Is it a prologue? No direct answer.
Is GT7 being made? No direct answer.
Can you upgrade from Sport to 7? No direct answer.

Whatever Sport is, it looks cool enough.

GT6 released on PS3 after PS4 had been released and the fever was surrounding their new console, and after the huge Black Friday push. It was a nightmare launch for GT6. Presumably this one will be launched better with better marketing and release timing.

Top Bottom