• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - July Update 1.23 in detail

Skyn3t

Banned
New Vehicles
Seven spectacular new vehicles have been added to Brand Central this month, from the historic Mercedes F1 machine that won the championship with Lewis Hamilton behind the wheel, legendary Ferraris, and K-Cars which represent the unique side of Japanese car culture. Take a look at the complete line-up here:
  • Mercedes-AMG F1 W08 EQ Power+ 2017
  • Daihatsu Copen Active Top ’02
  • Honda Beat ’91
  • Honda S660 ’15
  • Ferrari 250 GTO CN.3729GT ’62
  • Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car
  • Mazda 787B ’91
New Track – Sainte-Croix Circuit (A / B / C)
Based on the scenic Lake of Sainte-Croix in the Provence region of France, this original 10km course (with three distinct layouts) features tricky radial corners, long straights, and requires high driving skill to achieve fast lap times. The track is truly designed to test drivers’ adaptability. Furthermore, all three track variants are also playable in reverse, making six unique races possible.
GT League
Adding to the GT League line-up, we’ve introduced three new events to test drivers of all skill levels, including:
  • Light Weight K Cup – Beginner League
  • Nostalgic Car Festival – Amateur League
  • Mercedes AMG Grand Prix – Professional League

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...port-july-update-new-cars-league-events-more/

AVAILABLE NOW

Last edited:

scydrex

The update also introduced microtransactions at least for Japan right now. GT Planet: Microtransactions Have Arrived in Gran Turismo Sport

Gran-Turismo-Sport-Microtransactions-PlayStation-Store-1200x675.jpg

Last edited:
It also seems pointless to buy. You get a free car every day, and money isnt super hard to get if you drive a lot. Someone is going to buy one of these cars and then the next day they will get a second one as their daily lol

Redshirt

Banned
It's targeting the whales who need to collect them all. It doesn't affect me personally so fairly inoffensive, but shitty nonetheless.

As for introducing MTX late, that seems to be a trend. Avoid the negative press while hype is at its greatest.

Or knowing Polyphony, it just took them this bleeping long to code it.

Redshirt

Banned
Car packs are new content someone had to work on. I don't mind supporting a studio that way.

This a bit different. Although not sure GTS could sell car packs like Forza since it's a work in progress. Maybe when the initial promises are reached.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Solid update, i wonder if they fixed the flames in 4K mode. And the new track looks lovely, perfect for hypercars.

Last edited:

nowhat

This a bit different. Although not sure GTS could sell car packs like Forza since it's a work in progress. Maybe when the initial promises are reached.
Apparently (as of now) you can purchase only cars that cost up to 2M credits. Anything beyond that, you'll need to play the game (and win the credits for it) in order to buy those.

mad597

Banned
Add MTX's late after saying they wouldn't and you see Sony fans defend them. I wish I could garner a cult like Sony has.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Add MTX's late after saying they wouldn't and you see Sony fans defend them. I wish I could garner a cult like Sony has.

Oh JFC, all fans defend their silicon of choice. Fanaticism is alive in well in ALL FACETS of human life, lol.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Holly shit the new tire phyiscs are a game changer. Before the update you coulnd't full throttle the La Ferrari or the 458 in second gear without wheelspining. Now you feel when its gonna spin and you can full throttle it even in the first gear. Even the counter steering is much better and more precies. And the new track looks really good outside the pop ins from close range wich is a bit annoying. Anyway great stuff, gg to PD really solid update.

thelastword

Banned
More awesome updates. PD and former EVO developers are classless this generation for after launch support, just immaculate. Can't wait to see what they do for their next spec update for the holidays.

Adding micro-transactions months after release when devs promised there would be no paid content whatsoever. Bad move.

Last edited:
I'm not defending the game with the following. Actually i don't really like it that much, but these "MT's" don't really give you any competetive edge, are only for cars of specific CR value and don't really affect the meta of the game like amount of time needed to grind for CR.

It's like DLC car packs that you can buy with either ingame money or real money. It's not lootcrates with race bonuses or usual p2w stuff.

thelastword

Banned
I'm not defending the game with the following. Actually i don't really like it that much, but these "MT's" don't really give you any competetive edge, are only for cars of specific CR value and don't really affect the meta of the game like amount of time needed to grind for CR.

It's like DLC car packs that you can buy with either ingame money or real money. It's not lootcrates with race bonuses or usual p2w stuff.
I'm pretty sure the detractors know that, they just want to raise a stink on everything now. I mean some one is even complaining about a free track for crying out loud and how he'd like more real-life racing tracks, yet the tracks people have been asking for the most, are; (Trial Mountain, Deep Forest) etc...But yet, it's free content....free.

So Forza removes them and GT adds them??? lol

Wasn't aware GTS had loot crates.....

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

How is Gran Turismo Sport? Is it RPG-like like the other Gran Turismos, so it's a great single player or not?

It's built for the multiplayer online. It was never meant to be a meaty single player game like previous entries.

They've added a single player campaign and challenges after release though and it was like 20 hours of stuff when I did it.

Three

How is Gran Turismo Sport? Is it RPG-like like the other Gran Turismos, so it's a great single player or not?

GT Sport is more for good online racing. There is still a meaty single player part but things frustrate me there. Like doing some really hard challenge and then just getting a duplicate reward car. It starts to annoy you like that. Some of the text is wierd as well like there is some lost in translation stuff going on. Anybody notice that the update said cars up to 200 Million then said 2 Million on another screen? When I saw that I thought 'what car is 200 Million!'.

thelastword

Banned
GTS is about learning to race properly and having a nice set of SP content to hone you to that end. Traditional races were implemented (Your sunday cup, FF race et al), in a campaign mode. Personally, I can't have enough of race experience..... and Sport Mode is just stellar and uncontested in the racing online experience...

I personally love doing license tests in GT games and its there, you get cars every day and pretty much after most things. The progression and rpg sytstem in the background is pretty good and genius. People complain of the pictures of car parts you saw in prior GT's that's missing..., but in truth, the tuning in GTS is still pretty deep and there's never been a GT game with so many options covering anything from your screen, OSD, racing options, driver and gear, car paints and stylizing etc..etc. etc...Also many options whilst you race.

The game is pretty great with the best driving model and it's the most realistic racer you'll see this gen on a graphical level. You can get it on a sale, doesn't matter. I paid $60.00 and it's racing nirvana, no racing wheel (included TM)..

Vtecomega

Banned
As a car enthusiast that races cars once a month, I'll boot up gt sport when there's a new update and turn it off within 10 minutes due to how horribly boring it is. It has been the same feeling for over a decade now with GT and it hasn't evolved in the slightest. Although that could be said for all racing games.

The cars all feel so boring and sterile to drive and the updated tyre physics is subtle at best. Cars all still sound digitized? for the lack of a better word.

I think all racing games fall flat because its very hard to convey the actual feeling of driving a 500hp car. There is no sense of g forces throwing you back into the seat, no sense of speed, and no game can get car sounds right. No matter how fucking hard they try they just cant do it. So what you get instead is a poor imitation of what its like to drive an actual performance car with none of the excitement and adrenaline.

I have owned numerous cars over the years. One of the highlights was my evo 8 MR. It only had an exhaust and intake which made around 200kw at the wheels. That car would thrust you into the seat once boost came on and would be one of the most exhilarating and exciting drives ever. Try driving 300hp car in gt sport or even forza and tell me how exciting it is.

Until developers can figure out a way to simulate g forces or even improve the sense of speed then car sims will always be boring and sterile experiences.

Wholly shit...a simple thread about GT update info turn out into this..again. Fanboyism is a goddamn disease.

Oh, could you bring a counterpoint? It all seemed very positive about the game, can you tell about the negative in regards to the previous titles? I loved GT 1, 2, 3 and 4. Never played 5 or 6, so I might just buy them instead if it's got not a good enough single player draw and a nice sense of customization and progression.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I legit never did a single online race in this game.
And i spend 80+ hours on the sp portion.

I really don't get why people say its not a sp game

The microtransactions, themselves, aren't that bad as long as Polyphony isn't pulling some nerfing nonsense. However, if you say the game won't have MT, then don't put MT in the game after launch.

Three

I
Oh, could you bring a counterpoint? It all seemed very positive about the game, can you tell about the negative in regards to the previous titles? I loved GT 1, 2, 3 and 4. Never played 5 or 6, so I might just buy them instead if it's got not a good enough single player draw and a nice sense of customization and progression.
Platinumed GT5 and that felt like far more rewarding, it was hard so some of the races were more memorable. It was a pretty great racing game actually, not sure why it got some hate. I would recommend GT5/6 if you just want a single player racing game and don't mind the graphics difference. I wonder what would happen if Polyphony remastered GT4. The customization in Sport is limited to tuning and livery only (no actual part swaps)

Last edited:

mad597

Banned
The microtransactions, themselves, aren't that bad as long as Polyphony isn't pulling some nerfing nonsense. However, if you say the game won't have MT, then don't put MT in the game after launch.

Sony might as well just do everything they want since Sony fans will aggressively defend whatever they do, Rail on other games for MTX's and loot boxes but as soon as Sony does it excuses come flying out. Sony fans will twist in the wind to figure out a way when sony does something anti consumer it is somehow "different"

Sony might as well just do everything they want since Sony fans will aggressively defend whatever they do, Rail on other games for MTX's and loot boxes but as soon as Sony does it excuses come flying out. Sony fans will twist in the wind to figure out a way when sony does something anti consumer it is somehow "different"
Well, I'm one of these "Sony fans" and I'm completely against what Polyphony did. It's not so much the MT's that I have a problem with (as long as the rewards system isn't nerfed). It's Yamauchi literally saying there will be no MT's when asked by a fan and then, turn around to do the complete opposite of what he promised.

mad597

Banned
Well, I'm one of these "Sony fans" and I'm completely against what Polyphony did. It's not so much the MT's that I have a problem with (as long as the rewards system isn't nerfed). It's Yamauchi literally saying there will be no MT's when asked by a fan and then, turn around to do the complete opposite of what he promised.

You should probably talk to your fellow Sony fans and get them to understand the more they defend Sony and give them a pass on anti consumer activities the more Sony feels like they can just do whatever they want. Any sony fans defending them for this kind of stuff is doing so against their own best interests.

FranXico

There were no loot boxes added to GTS. Loot boxes, remember what those are? Like FM7 had?

Maybe Sony should release a new GT game with loot boxes and then patch them out later. Maybe then they would get praised as pro-consumer. Worked for Microsoft...

Three

I don't consider this anti consumer. In fact I find it better than other systems. This way I'm getting car packs for free with every update and those who pay to buy cars have no real advantage because I can buy those cars with in game credit easily. There are no consumables either. It's whether the game progression is nerfed after these or not which determines if it's a problem and so far that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't feel it's pay to win and I'm getting free cars, tracks and features Complaining seems more like taking offense for no reason than anyone saying they don't have a problem with this. They shouldn't have told the Malaysian interviewer that there will be no MTX though. Maybe a translation issue for content packs?

Last edited:
Okay, so I was about to share YongYea's video on the MT situation and then suddenly, it got taken down. If this is because Sony copyrighted his video, then I'm going to have to up my criticism against them.

EDIT: Okay, so YongYea just re-uploaded his video. It was not because of copyright, so here it is for anyone who is interested:

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Okay, so I was about to share YongYea's video on the MT situation and then suddenly, it got taken down. If this is because Sony copyrighted his video, then I'm going to have to up my criticism against them.

EDIT: Okay, so YongYea just re-uploaded his video. It was not because of copyright, so here it is for anyone who is interested:

EEEEEEYYYYOOOONNNNGGGGGG

I have an irrational hate for that guy.

Top Bottom