• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport launches October 18 - trailer

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Preordered. Gran Turismo is a sim, correct? Or is it a split between sim and arcade? I also have a wheel, I didn’t use it for DriveClub, but is it better to use a wheel with sim games?

Audioboxer

The issue is KAz had said different things, at one time he said it would have everything Gt is known for, and it is basically Gt7 I am pretty sure.

Messaging was like NOPE on unveil

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's president and CEO Jim Ryan provided some clarity in the wake of Sony's conference at Paris Games Week.

"We're not announcing Gran Turismo 7 at this stage," he told Eurogamer.

"Fair to say [series director Kazunori Yamauchi] has been making these games for some considerable time now. I think it's reasonable to assume that something else might come down the road. Is it a Prologue? No, I think it'll be more than that.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-28-gran-turismo-sport-is-not-gran-turismo-7

Then this

"The reason we called it Gran Turismo Sport was that we really wanted to incorporate the FIA events," explained Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi.

"Thinking about it now, yeah, we could have called it Gran Turismo 7. But it's got so many features, we wanted it to be different."

So there you go. It is actually Gran Turismo 7 but with a new Gran Turismo Sport name.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ps4/news/a794751/gran-turismo-sport-is-gran-turismo-7-after-all/

With another direct video interview here saying "for me, this is in effect GT7"

https://youtu.be/6t7opXDklyw

But it appears Kaz gonna Kaz and while he might say "this is GT7 for me", it'll probably end up being the fans/reviewers who have a say on that message.

BigEmil

We have quite a bit of info already in regards to the details of the campaign from PD themselves.

This is the official info from the GT Sport website of each section-- (All mission counts are taken from a screenshot they released during this E3)

---
Beginner’s School (50 events)
From basic skills such as hitting the brakes and how to turn into a corner, fundamentals can be learned from the bottom up, which will prove invaluable for newcomers to driving games.

Mission Challenge (50 events)
As you work your way through short missions, you will automatically pick up fundamental driving skills without even realising it. In the end, you will have a level of skill that will allow you to participate in major race events.

Circuit Experience (21 events)
Through actual experience on a race track, you will step into the true world of high-performance driving. Use the knowledge of track layouts learned in the mission challenges to pick up the basics of how to conquer a race track.

Race Etiquette (24 events)
In online, as well as real races, etiquette on the track is as important as performance. Learn the rules of etiquette and sportsmanship that’s required in all player-vs-player races. Even if you’re not a top driver with lots of confidence in your skills, you will still have plenty of fun because each player will be matched fairly with people of their own level for fair and equal online racing.

---

From the descriptions alone, it seems like Circuit Experience is the only thing that could hold actual races in it, but then there's these slides they showed last year which indicate that even circuit experience may not be comprised of just straight up races. So yeah, I'd say it's a safe assumption to think that the campaign mode is basically a bunch of glorified license tests designed to prepare you for online. Or at the very least, the vast majority (124/145 missions) of it is.
I only played GT 1, GT 2, GT 3 i remember playing the career mode for those, is this the same thing you mention? Or is it different? I assume it is different since people seem to not like this change..

I really enjoyed the first three Gran Turismo's SPs. If the campaign is not like those I'm gonna pass on this game

Messaging was like NOPE on unveil

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-28-gran-turismo-sport-is-not-gran-turismo-7

Then this

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ps4/news/a794751/gran-turismo-sport-is-gran-turismo-7-after-all/

With another direct video interview here saying "for me, this is in effect GT7"

https://youtu.be/6t7opXDklyw

But it appears Kaz gonna Kaz and while he might say "this is GT7 for me", it'll probably end up being the fans/reviewers who have a say on that message.

This, the messaging has been terrible, as has the marketing.

Audioboxer

This, the messaging has been terrible, as has the marketing.

To be fair above, Jim Ryan is like Sony's dark side. He gets rolled out to say all the shit no one wants to hear and comes up with some of the daftest excuses. The way he even worded all of that above, bringing up Prologue too, was just a mess.

The marketing is bad in the final stretch because Sport should have had a few mins at E3 during the event with the release date revealed. The fact it's announced now seems to me like Sony are pushing PD to get it out, to be competitive in the month of October. Not that PD should need more than 4 years, but that has been one of their issues for a long time now. Taking ages in development. 4 to 5 was obviously the big one, being 6 years.

ornery

Would the 'Sport' moniker not give off impressions that GTS was focusing more on multi/online play? I feel like thats the entire reason this isn't GT7.

edit: Just saw the article posted above. This is a cluster fuck of misinformation and confusion.

To be fair above, Jim Ryan is like Sony's dark side. He gets rolled out to say all the shit no one wants to hear and comes up with some of the daftest excuses. The way he even worded all of that above, bringing up Prologue too, was just a mess.

The marketing is bad in the final stretch because Sport should have had a few mins at E3 during the event with the release date revealed. The fact it's announced now seems to me like Sony are pushing PD to get it out, to be competitive in the month of October. Not that PD should need more than 4 years, but that has been one of their issues for a long time now. Taking ages in development. 4 to 5 was obviously the big one, being 6 years.

I cannot see Sony being worried about being competitive...they will sell more consoles then anyone WW with or without sport in OCT.

Audioboxer

I cannot see Sony being worried about being competitive...they will sell more consoles then anyone WW with or without sport in OCT.

I know, we've covered this, pure numerics, Sony will win. It's more about the "optics" here of having your flagship racer out in the same month as the other guy's flagship racer. Not the month after, not months after and certainly not after Christmas. Sony will have been like, PD, it's to be October.

The crunch at PD right now is probably on another level!

As a big racing game fan I haven't seen a reason to buy a PS4 yet, but this game is finally one that interests me. After being disappointed with the GT5/6 efforts of quantity over quality I'm very pleased to see that reversed here. If the past is anything to go by, I expect this game to get trashed for lack of content. I really hope that doesn't happen and the series builds from this. I definitely need to find a way to properly play this without forking out $600 for a console and a new wheel...

I know, we've covered this, pure numerics, Sony will win. It's more about the "optics" here of having your flagship racer out in the same month as the other guy's flagship racer. Not the month after, not months after and certainly not after Christmas. Sony will have been like, PD, it's to be October.

The crunch at PD right now is probably on another level!

I'm sure they are grateful for your concern, but he's mentioned a couple of times this is the first time they've had so much time to polish the game after having it feature complete.

This is going to review bad.
Bad word of mouth.

And maybe it deserves it. Should be called Gran Turismo eSports.

So does game does not have singleplayer?

So little information concerning exactly what this game is. People are like "It's not GT7." Ok, what is it? Ridge Racer?

It has the GT name. What's the problem. Less cars? Numbers were inflated anyway. how many tracks are there?

leehom

Anyone notice a trend of the same posters regurgitating the same info over and over again? It's like they have an agenda or something....

So....

What is THE ps4 wheel to buy ahead of release?

I would like to know this as well.

I've never had a proper wheel before or really any wheel, so would like to know specifics for PS4/Pro

Anyone notice a trend of the same posters regurgitating the same info over and over again? It's like they have an agenda or something....

Don't expect anything different. Every GT is like this. Same shit different year.

Go into any other racer thread, nothing near the same negativity. GT just attracts the anal retentives who think they know better than the guys who have created a franchise this legendary.

Basically like saying "fuck you Miyamoto, you don't know Mario, it's not Dark Souls enough!" except with GT.

Hey, dont know much about GT Sport myself. I prefer to play online then sp, however I loved all the licence stuff from the old GT's . Is that still in GT Sport?

Hey, dont know much about GT Sport myself. I prefer to play online then sp, however I loved all the licence stuff from the old GT's . Is that still in GT Sport?
Yes, there are lots of events and challenges similar to license tests. It seems most parts of career mode is these things now.

danowat

Banned
Sim all the way.
giphy.gif

dracula_x

KdotIX

So....

What is THE ps4 wheel to buy ahead of release?

I would like to know this as well.

I've never had a proper wheel before or really any wheel, so would like to know specifics for PS4/Pro

Depends on your budget. I would say go with a Thrustmaster T300 because that seems to be the best bang for buck. There are many different variations of the T300. So go for the T300 RS GT Edition - You might also want to upgrade to the T3PA Pro pedals as they seem to be better than the pedal set which comes with the T300 RS GT Edition.

If you have money to blow, a new Thrustmaster T-GT wheel is coming out alongside GT Sport - Its £700, seems to have similar pedal structure as the T3PA pedal set but with metal arms which is nice, also the wheel rim looks quite nice - with 4 rotary dials for an easy change of settings on the fly whilst racing. The downside is that its just a minor upgrade from the T300 base, so I don't think the price is worth it.

If you want to find out more about wheels, check out Inside Sim Racing channel on youtube, they have a load of video reviews of these products.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Why do some worry so much. It's Gran Turismo.

It will be marketed more closer to launvh, it will sell amazingly many copies like all GTs, it will play well.

Easily more than GT6 which was released on the wrong playform at the wrong time, and still sold millions, millions! This is the first GT game for the PS4. Nothing touches this game in sales or popularity.

"various creative tools"

So we know of the livery creator, but what else is there?

There's no track creator (confirmed) because that doesn't dance with their big DLC plans.

Car creator - same as the above.

Replay creator with dem drones?

???

Sony aren't including the arcade mode's race setup in these "tools" are they? 😂

Why do some worry so much. It's Gran Turismo.

It will be marketed more closer to launvh, it will sell amazingly many copies like all GTs, it will play well.

Easily more than GT6 which was released on the wrong playform at the wrong time, and still sold millions, millions! This is the first GT game for the PS4. Nothing touches this game in sales or popularity.

I guess people aren't really into corridor racers anymore. ;-)

Top Bottom