• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Previews

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The cones in that IGN campaign video look so idk fake(?) and out of place compared to the rest of the environment.

Yiazmat

GT-Sport-Porsche_911_GT3_RS_2016_01.jpg

GT-Sport-Honda_NSX_2017_01.jpg

GT-Sport-McLaren_650s_coupe_2014_02.jpg

GT-Sport-AstonMartin_one-77_2011_02.jpg

GT-Sport-BMW_M4_2014_01.jpg

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Loading times seem like a bit of a drag but hopefully it's something they can iron out closer to release. (Edit: They just mentioned that this is exactly what will happen)

Really looking forward to it.

danowat

Banned
I see the racing etiquette section is greyed out, considering there are no races (that I could see) in any of the 3 sections, that maybe where they are?

Would be odd not to have a single race in the whole campaign.

Fears confirmed about that campain mode.

I don't think anyone expected it would be a 'proper' campaign mode.

bombshell

Using the IGN video.

Driving School seems to have 48 events (you can see it says Final in the lowest, barely viewable line of events). <-- scratch that number, that's only beginner and intermediate difficulty, there's probably a hard difficulty section too making the number of events in this category even higher than 48.

Mission Challenge has 7 rows times 8 events = 56 events.

Circuit Experience has 100 events across all circuits (I counted the dots on each track).

Then there's a 4th category: Racing Etiquette that they're aren't showing the contents of.

I'm so out of the loop, didn't even know there will be a Lago Maggiore track in the game, hype!

Game looks pretty fing great, can't wait! Now if only I could use my old Logitech wheel (without hooking up a PC) :(

Effect

So the entire "campaign" is one massive tutorial!? WTF!? You can't simply just race against the AI, get wins, etc? I guess the arcade is just that? No progression from different ranks and tiers?

muteki

So the entire "campaign" is one massive tutorial!? WTF!? You can't simply just race against the AI, get wins, etc? I guess the arcade is just that? No progression from different ranks and tiers?

It is License Tests, essentially.

There are races against other races. It's a variety of challenges

gran-turismo-sport_20sisz6.jpg

bombshell

I see the racing etiquette section is greyed out, considering there are no races (that I could see) in any of the 3 sections, that maybe where they are?

Would be odd not to have a single race in the whole campaign.

Yeah, racing etiquette as name strongly implies racing against opponents.

It's a shame we don't know the number of events in that category yet, but it's refreshing to see over 200 events in the 3 first categories, since that number is already higher than the number they said the campaign would have last year.

Using the IGN video.

Driving School seems to have 50 events (you can see it says Final in the lowest, barely viewable line of events).

Circuit Experience has 100 events across all circuits (I counted the dots on each track).

Then there's a 4th category: Racing Etiquette that they're aren't showing the contents of.

assuming circuit experience is basically a whole racing event or tournament, seems plenty of single player content imo.

Servbot24

Banned
No they didn't, it was widely known that the focus of Sport would be online, and the solo mode wouldn't be traditional GT.

A lot of people on GAF were saying it's basically the equivalent of GT7.

This game is a no buy for me based on single player content. Very disappointing, I was really looking forward to playing a new GT game.

bombshell

assuming circuit experience is basically a whole racing event or tournament, seems plenty of single player content imo.

Circuit experience is sector time trials finishing with a total lap time trial for each track.

Mission Challenge (some of them) and Racing Etiquette is the categories where races with opponents happen.

danowat

Banned
A lot of people on GAF were saying it's basically the equivalent of GT7.

This game is a no buy for me based on single player content. Very disappointing, I was really looking forward to playing a new GT game.

I've not seen anyone say that, who weren't then quickly corrected.

It's a multiplayer online focused title, it's never meant to appeal to a solo player.

That scene with the neon lights was insanely good looking. I really don't get why they redid the campaign like this. Unless the races are hidden for later events, but I'm going to miss the championships.

bombshell

That's not a proper race though, looks and sounds like some gimmick one lap thing with cones.

Campaign sounds so poor, the wait for GT7 continues.

The text to the left is not a description of that challenge, but the description of the category as a whole.

That challenge is called One Lap Battle.

Effect

There are races against other races. It's a variety of challenges

gran-turismo-sport_20sisz6.jpg

If that example in the image is close to the norm that's not a good sign. A single lap battle or or racing on sections of laps isn't at all what I was looking forward to. I was looking forward to championships. Several laps on tracks with two to 5 tracks in a championship. Not these micro-challenges.

I get it's one example but that example gives an idea of what everything else is. I've yet to see anything like I described above. The fact that nothing was being confirmed or even denied before these new sets of videos came out had me worried. Had others worried it seems. Looks like there was good reason.

Audioboxer

Looking insane isn't going to save this in reviews I feel. That campaign video is pathetic given the amount of time between this and 6. Sorry PD, it's my opinion you're going to get slaughtered in November.

Gestault

Still looking really sharp. There's always the chance (hope?) for a "Season 2" add-on module with single-player stuff beyond the four tutorial segments, but they seem to want to get the polish in on the online racing.

Not that it's good news, but seeing yet another layer of confirmation about the solo content just being training isn't a surprise, considering it's described in some detail on the official site.

ghibli99

Using the IGN video.

Driving School seems to have 50 events (you can see it says Final in the lowest, barely viewable line of events).

Good enough for me. Compared to the initial fears, this seems decent; I'm sure I'll get more robust SP content out of FM7, but I think both games should complement each other nicely in different ways.

Edit: Those close-ups. O_O

dugdug

Banned
Honestly might cancel my preorder after seeing this "campaign" shit. Played an assload of GT5 and 6 (my favorite racers of that gen) and barely ever touched the online mode, and the few times I did were never actually fun.

Also, holy jesus, if you send a guy out to market your game, make sure he doesn't sound like he just woke up when showing it off. I don't need you to be Markiplier, but, at least put some energy in there.

It's pretty, though, and, I'll probably still buy it, but, this video bummed me out.

Come review time we will see how big the campaign is .
Not like it matters to me since i going to be playing online most of the time.
Even if i suck at racing games lol .

shandy706

Using the IGN video.

Then there's a 4th category
: Racing Etiquette that they're aren't showing the contents of.

Let me skip straight to these and I'll be much happier.

The presentation is soooo boring though. Spice it up PD.

bombshell

When he goes over the Circuit Experience track events he says these are some of the tracks. Do we know which / how many is missing from the listing?

And I assume that if there's more tracks, that there will actually be even more events in that category, since the category is just time trial of every track sector.

Top Bottom