• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

ShapeGSX

Depends entirely on the angle and momentum of the car. Why would you assume the car is turning left?

Actually, I was wrong. That's the back of the car. It is turning right. I assumed it was the front of the car and turning left. The forces on the tire remain similar, though.

Regardless of which way the car is turning or even going straight, the flex is still wrong.

They said that the tire-flex isn't present?
They didn't mean visually. They're talking about the feel of approaching the peak slip angle / slip ratio and how you feel it in the steering and especially what the car does a little over the peak and then far over the peak.

In reality you can feel the maximum self-alignment moment on the steering wheel before the maximum slip angle, on a slick tire the wheel actually becomes already ~10% lighter in force when you're at the highest lateral grip. This feeling of flex is not there in GTS, making it harder to drive when you're used to other sims. The tires feel a bit like "solid rubber" that way.

Also GTS's fall-off over the limit especially for combined slip (lateral and longitudinal at the same time) is fairly harsh. This is even more unrealistic for grooved tires.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I think the point is more content is coming, it's not going to be stuck with this amount of content in the long term.

Isn’t the point that it’s been in development for a long time, and that it should have more right now, not “soon”?

Septic360

Banned
I think the point is more content is coming, it's not going to be stuck with this amount of content in the long term.

Contents get added to it in the long run no?

You'd think that after how long it's been in development, it would have more content than it currently does. Let's cast out minds back at a LAUNCH racer this gen that got grilled for its comparative lack of content to it's predecessors.

Don't think this works here

Isn’t the point that it’s been in development for a long time, and that it should have more right now, not “soon”?

4 years isn't that long for AAA game development these days really and they did start from scratch, it's not like they just improved upon GT5 and GT6 or like Turn 10 has been doing with Forza for the last few games.

This is a new foundation for GT now and they will use this to expand on for future updates for the game or even the next GT game, depending on how popular GT Sport becomes.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
4 years isn't that long for AAA game development these days really and they did start from scratch, it's not like they just improved upon GT5 and GT6 or like Turn 10 has been doing with Forza for the last few games.

This is a new foundation for GT now and they will use this to expand on for future updates for the game or even the next GT game, depending on how popular GT Sport becomes.

4 years is a hell of a long time when that’s the only game the studio is making.

Peterpan

Forza 5 was build from the ground. For the most part. Nothing is ever totally brand new.

Crayon

Inoticed isr claimed there was no tires flex. But you can see and feel it in the game. Maybe they meant they liked that better in other games.

Loudninja

Gamespot review wont come until November
It's never been a secret that GT Sport is built with online races in mind, but it wasn't until we booted it up in a retail environment that we could see how dominant this commitment is, and that it will take weeks to see if it even works out as planned. For reasons I'll explain, we will review GT Sport when we're confident that we've measured the success of the systems it imposes on you, and how they ultimately feed into the game's upcoming tournaments.
As frustrating as being docked points for others' mistakes can be, there's hope that GT Sport's organic grouping system will recognize the burden of responsibility in some fashion and ultimately find a special place for messy drivers. Only time will tell.

Delaying a review is never ideal, but GT Sport deserves a chance to show us what it's made of. Polyphony Digital has created something quite ambitious and risky. If it can pull off its attempt to create a professional online racing league governed by a leading, real-world racing organization, that's cause for celebration. It's simply too early to say one way or the other. Check back with us when we have an answer in early November, and be sure to watch the video at the top of this page for an extended discussion of the game in its current state.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/our-gran-turismo-review-wont-hit-until-november-he/1100-6454198/

Gestault

I both respect and totally balk at the special treatment of waiting a month to give a finalized review of a game, only in the sense that it's a protocol that can and should apply to every game, but also makes reviews less useful to launch-window buyers who might rely on them in the first place. And doubly-so for a service platform style game, where that later review could just as easily end up out-of-date if (for a random example) service disruptions cause problems.

sublimit

Banned
Am i the only one that the thought of treating single player content as an afterthought by adding it on a later date rubs me the wrong way?

I really don't want to support this mindset for a GT game so i'll probably not buy the game even when they do add a proper carrer mode later on.

If i buy it then it is like i congratulate them to do the same thing with the next GT as well.

It doesn't matter what you think, it matters that real racing teams hire players from GT to race their cars.

But the guys who are fast in racing games are usually fast across the board. Someone who is fast in GT games, is fast in Forza, fast in rFactor and fast in Driveclub after getting accustomed to each game.

GT is used in no professional context, unlike rFactor (Pro), Assetto Corsa (Pro) and iRacing(mostly for cheap track learning by lower class teams, as all tracks are laserscanned and it has good support for professional sim gear).

Am i the only one that the thought of treating single player content as an afterthought by adding it on a later date rubs me the wrong way?

I really don't want to support this mindset for a GT game so i'll probably not buy the game even when they do add a proper carrer mode later on.

If i buy it then it is like i congratulate them to do the same thing with the next GT as well.

Smart decision, there's no way this disgusting new trend should be supported..especially most likely they will have a nerve charging for some of the content that was supposed to be there in the first place...4 yrs, folks..incredible.

Cock of War

I love Giant Bomb. I love Jeff G., feel like I know the guy, his sensibilities, after all these years (GameSpot). I love the GT series since GT2 which converted me from a pog to a PS fanboy for a couple of years. I've been hyped for GTS, especially after the demo/beta, and have enjoyed it immensely since it released
When I saw there was a GTS quicklook I thought to myself: "probably gonna be Jeff, probably not gonna be his cup of tea as most recently affirmed by the Forza 7 quicklook."
After watching the GTS quicklook I was not surprised. I still love everything I mentioned earlier. I'm having a hard time understanding what the brouhaha is all about.

Has there been any outline of what is to come?

Based on their dlc support for previous games I'm not very optimistic, but I hope I'm wrong.

Other than the aim for upto 500 cars and more tracks, there is no road map for DLC yet.

I'm not worried about all that personally though, I'm having a blast with the game as is right now but it's designed as a game as a service and PD are more focused with this, so don't see why they won't support it.

Unless it's a sales flop of course.

It doesn't matter what you think, it matters that real racing teams hire players from GT to race their cars.

It doesnt mean what youre trying to prove here.

Myself and others play GT Academy because its the big competition that gives you the opportunity to race for real. Has nothing to do with being the most realistic racer ever.

Sim racers flock from competition to competition because thats where the chances are.

Of course the basics of going fast apply on any sim, so the overlap between games is normal.

Arnoud Lacombe is just as fast as he was in GT in pcars and assetto, racing fans play all types of games and compete very well in them.

The fact that people that are good in GT can have a career in real racing is not a proof that GT is the most realistic sim and thats why gamers can turn into racers.

Fredrik

Nah, if they fix it's content problems then I'll be there for sure and so should everybody else who want the serie and it's classic SP content to survive in the long run. But so far it's online focused and I don't even have PS+ so there is basically no game there at this point for me, buying it now would be dumb. Plus, this is a classic vote with your wallet situation. They need to see a sales spike when they add the content people scream for, otherwise that content will be gone forever in the future. Use your vote/money wisely.

MaDKaT

If they were going to rely on that--like some have--then there'd be no reason to delay the review. And a mention is fine; reliance is not, IMO.

Doubt it would be a major focus but no doubt will effect the score in the end. GTs legacy is just too big for it not to for better or worse.

Fredrik

I'd rather a 7 or 8 on the merits than a 7 or 8 because it doesn't wax nostalgic.
wax nostalgics? I don't like this attitude. This game serie has been there since the PS1 days and many of us has played every iteration, I know there are some who always complain how the campaign mode is made but millions of us love the serie BECAUSE its made that way. I get that some of you love online gaming, but please, don't expect everyone else to do so too. And don't use that negative attitude toward the fans who loved the old GT and essentially made this serie survive this long. Hype the online gameplay all you want, but could you please do that without shitting on the classic GT gameplay millions of us are still longing for?

I think it is great that Gamespot is taking time to review the game. Wish more outlets would do this.

The review is a permanent mark on the game, no matter how much they change, fix, update, after release it will always be a 7/10 or 8/10, etc. So I would rather they wait and do it right.

A launch review has no bearing on the current state of the game as a buyer 6 months later (Especially Online focused games). I wish sites would Re-Review certain games months later to update impressions. I understand the ramifications of this (Like devs/pubs not pushing to release the best product knowing they can get an upgraded score later) but I think in the end it would be best for the game and for the consumer if reviews were approached in this fashion. Driveclub is a poster child for this as it is a GREAT racing game that was much improved 3-6 months after launch. but lives the with scarlet-letter launch date reviews.

wax nostalgics? I don't like this attitude. This game serie has been there since the PS1 days and many of us has played every iteration, I know there are some who always complain how the campaign mode is made but millions of us love the serie BECAUSE its made that way. I get that some of you love online gaming, but please, don't expect everyone else to do so too. And don't use that negative attitude toward the fans who loved the old GT and essentially made this serie survive this long. Hype the online gameplay all you want, but could you please do that without shitting on the classic GT gameplay millions of us are still longing for?

I'm not shitting on the classic GT game play. Those games still exist, and there are 6 of them--13 if you count whatever Forza has done with the CaRPG/Car Pokemon formula.

The game I purchased isn't GT1-6 and it should be treated for what it is. If legacy/pedigree come in, fine, but that by no means should be the overarching theme of the review--because then you're not reviewing the game itself.

Crayon

I think it is great that Gamespot is taking time to review the game. Wish more outlets would do this.

The review is a permanent mark on the game for eternity, no matter how much they change, fix, update it will always be a 7/10 or 8/10, etc. So I would rather they wait and do it right.

A launch review has no bearing on the current state of the game as a buyer 6 months later. I wish sites would Re-Review certain games months later to update impressions. I understand the ramifications of this (Like devs/pubs not pushing to release the best product knowing they can get an upgraded score later) but I think in the end it would be best for the game and for the consumer if reviews were approached in this fashion. Driveclub is a poster child for this as it is a GREAT racing game that was much improved 3-6 months after launch. but lives the with scarlet-letter launch date reviews.

Here you but on the other hand, if people can buy the game today, they should be able to read a review today. The Gamespot review could be better informed a month from now, and the early reviews could be essentially outdated at that time, but that's the nature of the beast. There are no rules.

cooldawn

Wait, isn't Gamespot the media outlet that couldn't stand the Tag Heur watch branding in the game?

People are really waiting for their review?

Nah...can't be right.

Wait, isn't Gamespot the media outlet that couldn't stand the Tag Heur watch branding in the game?

Nah...can't be right.

The anticipation of waiting to see if the Gamespot review will be positive or negative will be palpable, lol.

Loudninja

Nah...can't be right.
It just interesting that they are willing to wait to experience one of the goals of the games

RedRum

Banned

Nah...can't be right.

That's what hope does to ya. With all the things happening in Nov, no one is going to give a ship about GS lone Nov GTS review.

Tomeru

It doesnt mean what youre trying to prove here.

Myself and others play GT Academy because its the big competition that gives you the opportunity to race for real. Has nothing to do with being the most realistic racer ever.

Sim racers flock from competition to competition because thats where the chances are.

Of course the basics of going fast apply on any sim, so the overlap between games is normal.

Arnoud Lacombe is just as fast as he was in GT in pcars and assetto, racing fans play all types of games and compete very well in them.

The fact that people that are good in GT can have a career in real racing is not a proof that GT is the most realistic sim and thats why gamers can turn into racers.

He raplied to apost that says GT is not a sim racer. Nothing about being most realistic. If racing teams would check out NFS players, that quote would have legs. GT is a sim racer, as you appear to agree with.

Kolibri

Asked my friend how it is. His reply was simple "Servers are down, can't play it".

I had to bite my lip. What a chunk of shit. The metacritic score is way too high.

The anticipation of waiting to see if the Gamespot review will be positive or negative will be palpable, lol.
This era of static review scores needs to come to an end anyhow. Its fast becoming useless for any online/service/updated games.

They could put their score for the game as it currently stands and update it down the line. That would be of more use to all involved I think.

Asked my friend how it is. His reply was simple "Servers are down, can't play it".
Yup.

The Gran Turismo Sport is currently experiencing an interruption in the following online features:

Content:
 - Daily Races
 - Open Lobby
 - Discover
 - Social Features
 - Social Features (Notices)
 - Social Features (News Feed)
 - Social Features (Profile)
 - Social Features (Friends)
 - Social Features (Photo)
 - Social Features (Livery)
 - Social Features (Daily Races)
 - Social Features (Campaign Mode)
 - Online Saves

We are currently working to fix this issue. We thank you for your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.

But everything is fine because we're all online 99% of the time so we can post on GAF. Deal with it, make a sandwich etc.

Fredrik

I'm not shitting on the classic GT game play. Those games still exist, and there are 6 of them--13 if you count whatever Forza has done with the CaRPG/Car Pokemon formula.

The game I purchased isn't GT1-6 and it should be treated for what it is. If legacy/pedigree come in, fine, but that by no means should be the overarching theme of the review--because then you're not reviewing the game itself.
This always happen when a long going and/or classic game serie change it's direction. Expecting something else is weird. In this case it's perfectly logical that the new direction is questioned and critizised. Both because the reviewers are most likely fans of the old games and because they're reviewing how the new direction fits the franchise just as much as the game itself in it's current state.

Top Bottom