• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

bombshell

Aggregates
OpenCritic
MetaCritic

Reviews
Eurogamer - Recommended
Eurogamer said:
Gran Turismo Sport loses the breadth that's defined the series, but introduces something just as valuable in its place.

If the campaign is geared towards making you a better driver, the online puts systems in place to ensure you're a better racer. I've already spoken a little about how Gran Turismo Sport wisely cribs from iRacing, in my view the premier sim on PC, for its online, appropriating the safety rating system that leads towards fairer, more enjoyable racing.

The result is some of the most exciting online racing I've come across on console, an enjoyably approachable spin on iRacing's formula that makes for tense and - mostly - fair match-ups.

Let's not forget what's been lost for the series' PlayStation 4 debut, though. There's none of that old scope, and only a fraction of the old madness that made Gran Turismo so endearing. There are no lunar rovers, no 19th century single horsepowered wagons and not even anything by way of an open wheel racer to be found in its car list at launch. Yet, conversely, this is possibly the most focussed, directly enjoyable game Polyphony Digital has put out since the heady days of Gran Turismo 3. Racing improves the breed, industrialist Soichiro Honda once said, and Gran Turismo Sport is proof positive of that.

GamingTrend - 10/10
GamingTrend said:
After a long wait, Gran Turismo Sport is here, and it is racing perfection beyond measure. This is the best racing game that I have ever played, overflowing in beauty, grace, playability, and precision. Driving a go-kart, a fusion-engine concept race car, or a standard Ford Focus all provide a wealth of fun and unique challenges. Gran Turismo Sport is a triumph, and will be played voraciously by racing fans for years and years to come.

PowerUp! - 9.5/10
PowerUp! said:
Whether you want to race against the AI, do some challenges, take-on a friend in split-screen, spend hours getting the perfect shot in the photo mode, drive around the tracks in VR, participate in a season or race your mates online, GT Sport has you covered. If you have even a tiny bit of interest in racing or racing games, GT Sport is the only game you'll need this year.

Gadgets 360 - 9/10
Gadgets 360 said:
Despite some real issues, it's hard to find fault with GT Sport. The game delivers stunning visuals, an excellent racing experience, and makes an effort to teach new players how to race. There's not much more you can ask from a simulation racing game. If you're a PlayStation 4 owner who's been waiting for a great racing game, look no further than Gran Turismo Sport.
Progress Bar - 9/10

COGconnected - 9/10

ZWAME Jogos (Portuguese) - 9/10

Gamereactor Denmark - 9/10

PSLife (Danish) - 8.5/10

Areajugones (Spanish) - 8.5/10

Hobby Consolas (Spanish) - 8.4/10

IGN Spain - 8.2/10

USgamer - 4/5
USgamer said:
It's a bit of a shame, then, that GT Sport feels more like one of the old Prologue releases than a full-on entry in the series. Like I said at the top of this review, the game is fabulous, but there's just not quite enough of it. I'm sure that Polyphony Digital will add new cars, tracks, and events going forward, and it'll be interesting to see how Sport Mode evolves over time, but the bottom line is that right now, GT Sport feels more like an appetizer than a main course. It's exquisitely-crafted and phenomenally tasty, but leaves you wanting more.

TheSixthAxis - 8/10
TheSixthAxis said:
Gran Turismo Sport is a near essential purchase for PlayStation 4 racing fans. There might be a few disappointments in some of the limitations and regressions, but the brilliance of the game is in the small details that combine to enable willing players to become better drivers and racers and the implementation of multiplayer. Underneath it all, this is still a very familiar feeling Gran Turismo racing game, but it's also one that's set to grow and evolve over time and looks set to herald a new era of competitive online racing.

Vandal (Spanish) - 8/10
Vandal said:
GT Sport is a game players who enjoy playing online are going to love. Those who like playing alone... not so much. It's online focus is clear, and although that's understandable, the lack of content will end up being a problem for any type of player. Although it has a few shortcomings, it's a great racing game with many virtues.

Worthplaying - 8/10

GamingBolt - 8/10
GamingBolt said:
There are other niggles. The damage modeling is nearly non-existent and crashes often feel weak – until they don't. All of this, however, pales before the simple fact that Gran Turismo Sport simply feels good to play. Driving like this, in a video game, is a rare and beautiful thing, and Polyphony has delivered a beautiful game that loves it as much as you do.

Polyphony has been tight-lipped about how additional content for Sport will be delivered, but it's an excellent foundation upon which to build. I entered Gran Turismo Sport with no attachment to the series; I'm leaving it as a fan who will be coming back. Driving is for everyone indeed.

Hardcore Gamer - 4/5
Gran Turismo Sport boasts the best realistic online racing experience, but those looking for something offline with a career will want to look elsewhere.

Twinfinite - 4/5

GamesRadar - 4/5
GamesRadar said:
I don't want to sound down on it because, in isolation, Gran Turismo Sport is a superb racing game. It's everything it should be. Faithful to its heritage, with gorgeous cars, superb tracks, time-of-day variations, exquisite handling, an ultra-serious online mode and a challenging, genuinely educational single-player component. It's the best serious racing game on PS4, no doubt.

Saudi Gamer - 8/10
Saudi Gamer said:
A new era for the series, and a focus on quality over quantity. The series has lost some of its extravagance with this installment but in return has gained a tighter focus on quality and consistency.

DarkStation - 4/5

Alphr - 4/5

GamePro (German) - 7.8/10
GamePro said:
GT Sport offers little solo playing time and scope, but thanks to great driving physics and good online mode it is nevertheless a recommended game.

GameInformer - 7.75/10
GameInformer said:
Regardless of its foibles, let this installment be the start of a real commitment by Polyphony Digital to online racing – one that is folded into the main series' career mode and which is not just a temporary dabble like the track creator of GT 5 or the dynamic time/weather and race clubs of GT 6. GT Sport has enough qualities that it should be the start of something better and not just a detour for the franchise.

IGN - 7.5/10
IGN said:
In many ways, GT Sport is the most polished Gran Turismo game in over a decade. It looks great, feels great, and what's here has been carefully and well executed. However, while I can forgive the sprinkling of eccentric nonsense, the lack of car and track content really hurts, and the online-only nature of the vast majority of it is worrying. Overall it just isn't as complete as its key competitors.

PlayStation Universe - 7.5/10

Cheat Code Central - 3.7/5

GTPlanet - 3.5/5

Trusted Reviews - 3.5/5
Trusted Reviews said:
Gran Turismo Sport is worthy of the name and a great driving simulator, but a lack of content compared to what the series usually offers makes it a curious beast. If you love Polyphony Digital's approach and cars, however, it will still tick a lot of your desired boxes.

PlayStationLifeStyle - 7/10

Gamereactor Sweden - 7/10

Gamereactor Norway - 7/10

Metro GameCentral - 7/10
Metro GameCentral said:
Arguably the best Gran Turismo ever in terms of the driving, and definitely in terms of the graphics, but a lack of content keeps it from getting up to top speed.

Gameblog (French) - 7/10

Wccftech - 7/10

Leadergamer (Turkish) - 7/10

CGMagazine - 6.5/10

GameRevolution - 3/5

Playground (Russian) - 5.5/10

Video reviews
Inside Sim Racing

In-progress or unscored reviews
Top Gear
Motorsport.com
Car Magazine
Bleacher Report
Gamespot
Critical Hit Gaming
Stuff
Push Square
Gaming Age

OT for game discussion
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448873

kmax

Just a note, some reviewers have had trouble with servers that have been down, which has made some of them postpone scores until they have access to them.

Shancake

I don’t know how anyone could have a scored review considering servers haven’t been live and a lot is locked behind the servers.

im_dany

A friend of mine(which is a reviewer) told me Sony sent copies like last thursday/friday, and some of them only received it yesterday. How are those reviews coming out so fast then? And why did nobody complaing about dayone embargo?

I'm expecting between 78-82 but this should be far more unacceptable than optional loot boxes.

The Eurogamer review seems pretty balanced, noting the lack of cars, but also what Sport brings to the table. I doubt all are going to be that even-handed, but we'll see.

Oh god here we go. It’s time.

sweating.gif

GHG

Gold Member
A friend of mine(which is a reviewer) told me Sony sent copies like last thursday/friday, and some of them only received it yesterday. How are those reviews coming out so fast then? And why did nobody complaing about dayone embargo?

I'm expecting between 78-82 but this should be far more unacceptable than optional loot boxes.

Wait... are you suggesting a review embargo is worse than lootboxes?

Why?

DieH@rd

Banned

Chill dude. Nobody is complaining, because everybody who wanted could play GTS for days, both reviewers and public.

I'm a reviewer, and in my case Sony usually sends codes and not physical copies. GTSport arrived on time, but server issues were stronger than usual. In any case, beta demo showcased almost entire game, and there is nothing wrong with posting a review when it is properly done, or even early review impressions.

giphy.gif

Bishop89

Lol no mate

Loudninja

As I've already said, GT Sport is graphically outstanding, featuring top-of-the-line car models, and clean, crisp, and exceptionally realistically-rendered racing environments. The audio is similarly excellent. It's vastly improved over prior versions of the game, especially the high-end racers, which sound hair-raisingly raw and mechanical. Its sublime handling engine feels very Gran Turismo, with the distinctive weight and heft that the series is known for, and the overall driving experience is as involving and detailed as I could hope for. GT Sport really does look, sound, and drive exceptionally well.

nice

Fordy

Just so I'm clear as I didn't get chance to play the beta. This is an online focused game with no traditional GT single player collectathon?

JamboGT

Don’t need any reviews after the demo but will be interesting nonetheless. Not that reviews for racing games are any use anyway :p

Not Drake

In for a great thread.

GT Sport really does look, sound, and drive exceptionally well.

What a time to be alive.

I expected very low scores, but the fact there seems to be quite a few "in progress" reviews might save it.

Razgreez

Just so I'm clear as I didn't get chance to play the beta. This is an online focused game with no traditional GT single player collectathon?

The basic "career" mode is gone in favour of online racing both in terms of casual lobbies and ranked "sport mode". Offline career mode has effectively been replaced with an online one. Mind you offline AI in challenges and arcade can be quite aggressive - especially compared to previous GTs

Egida

Neo Member

Traditional career mode is gone. The main mode now is online, locked behind a paywall.

DieH@rd

Banned
Waiting on Martin Robinson (EG), Daniel Bloodworth, Inside Sim Racing and Team VVV

The only thing they can bring are their personal impressions, but IMO, that's not an issue here anymore. This is not an unknown game. Demo really showcased much, anyone could derive their own full impressions from it.

The game is good.

The only thing they can bring are their personal impressions, but IMO, that's not an issue here anymore. This is not an unknown game. Demo really showcased much, anyone could derive their own full impressions from it.

The game is good.

Yup. PD was confident in their product and they have delivered thus far.

The future is gonna be interesting...

benzy

Campaign mode is different and there are less cars, but you still basically collect and unlock them with credits you get from completing the campaign missions, arcade / custom races. It isn't like Pcars where everything is unlocked from the start.

The game is good.

I wasn't able to play much of the demo, and while I liked what I saw, I still like and hope to hear from folks who I trust when it comes to racing game 'feel.'

Top Bottom