• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy Fes 2020 online event set for December 12-13

sublimit

Banned
Granblue-Fantasy-Fes-2020_12-01-20.jpg

Cygames will share various new information at the event. While specifics have yet to be announced, the company teased it will share the latest on long-in-development action RPG Granblue Fantasy: Relink for PlayStation 4—including a release date.

More details on Granblue Fantasy Fes 2020 will be announced on December 2.

Seems like we'll finally get a release date for Granblue Fantasy:Relink! Lets hope it's not too far out.

Now if only they could also share something about Project Awakening...(obviously not in Granblue Fantasy Fes).

Last edited:
Lmao, as excited as I am for this game, shesus are they taking a really long time on the RPG game.

Hype has been deflated pretty badly by now, so hoping the new information blows that hype right back up.

Klayzer

Feels like ive been waiting forever for updates for this game. Extremely excited for a potential release day. Better not be an announcement of an announcement for a release day.

NanaMiku

Finally, release date for Relink. I just hope they don't implement the weapon grid again for Relink....

Holammer

I haven't played the mobile game, so the setting is a bit of a mystery for me. But Platinum did a lot of heavy lifting for the game, so I'll probably check it out if it gets a PC release. Also curious what sort of drama there was behind the scenes during development.

sublimit

Banned
I haven't played the mobile game, so the setting is a bit of a mystery for me. But Platinum did a lot of heavy lifting for the game, so I'll probably check it out if it gets a PC release. Also curious what sort of drama there was behind the scenes during development.
What drama?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm excited for more news and a release date.
As long as the game has taken though and given the fact that the PS5 is already out, I really hope they have a PS5 version releasing day one as well.
Have they said anything about a PC version? I thought they had but now that I look, I only see PS4 listed...

Last edited:

Holammer

I'm excited for more news and a release date.
As long as the game has taken though and given the fact that the PS5 is already out, I really hope they have a PS5 version releasing day one as well.
Have they said anything about a PC version? I thought they had but now that I look, I only see PS4 listed...

A PC version on Steam was hinted back in 2018, with no official word since. But that's standard for marketing deals which they most likely have with Sony.

福原 Steam(PC)向けには展開したいと考えています。プレイステーション4は弊社では『Project Awakening(仮題)』など、すでに内製で開発が進められているタイトルもありますし、会社として今後もコンシューマーに力を入れていこうという流れは確実にあります。

Last edited:

Boss Mog

This game died for me when Platinum walked away from it. My expectations for it are incredibly low now.

Miles708

This game died for me when Platinum walked away from it. My expectations for it are incredibly low now.
Wasn't the general consensus that Platinum Games simply fulfilled their part of the project (the combat system)?
They didn't really "walk away", but it could be misremembering.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Wasn't the general consensus that Platinum Games simply fulfilled their part of the project (the combat system)?
That's true. Both Platinum Games as well as Cygames said that Platinum fulfilled their contract and then moved on. There was nothing "suspicious" about it but i guess some people always love to spin things for drama's sake.

Boss Mog

That might be the official story but the game didn't have the same feel when it was re-revealed.

Astorian

Why? Aside from combat (even that is arguable), what else does Platinum do good?

If I’m not wrong Astral Chain was 100% Platinum and that game had nothing else but combat going for it.

Miles708

That might be the official story but the game didn't have the same feel when it was re-revealed.
I agree the initial and subsequent reveals have been different (with the first one being much more similar to a Tales Of series game), but it's a bit of a stretch to attribute it solely to Platinum.
Don't get me wrong, it could be. But they were also internally complaining about showing the game way too soon, to it could be a mixture of factors.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
C caffeware sublimit sublimit maybe reach out to the mods and ask for a thread merge.
I agree the initial and subsequent reveals have been different (with the first one being much more similar to a Tales Of series game), but it's a bit of a stretch to attribute it solely to Platinum.
Don't get me wrong, it could be. But they were also internally complaining about showing the game way too soon, to it could be a mixture of factors.
My impression was Platinum didn't come through on their end. CyGames likely either chose not to renew the contract or terminated it professionally. Neither company is going to say that Platinum failed to deliver but sometimes those things happen even with reputable companies. Platinum has juggled a ton of contracts over the past few years and it seems like they stretched themselves too thin and didn't quite deliver on all of them.

Boss Mog

Why? Aside from combat (even that is arguable), what else does Platinum do good?

If I’m not wrong Astral Chain was 100% Platinum and that game had nothing else but combat going for it.
Like I said I'm not convinced they kept Platinum's combat work, the game's combat looked different to me during the re-reveal, so did the graphics.

Miles708

C caffeware sublimit sublimit maybe reach out to the mods and ask for a thread merge.

My impression was Platinum didn't come through on their end. CyGames likely either chose not to renew the contract or terminated it professionally. Neither company is going to say that Platinum failed to deliver but sometimes those things happen even with reputable companies. Platinum has juggled a ton of contracts over the past few years and it seems like they stretched themselves too thin and didn't quite deliver on all of them.
This is an interesting take, but it's still speculation (albeit plausible).

More than that: even in the case CyGames choose to terminate the contract with Platinum, it would mean that Platinum was doing a sub-par job, right? In this case, them not being on board wouldn't be automatically a bad thing.

Platinum is kind of an odd developer, it makes it very good things from time to time, but also churns barely decent things.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
This is an interesting take, but it's still speculation (albeit plausible).

More than that: even in the case CyGames choose to terminate the contract with Platinum, it would mean that Platinum was doing a sub-par job, right? In this case, them not being on board wouldn't be automatically a bad thing.

Platinum is kind of an odd developer, it makes it very good things from time to time, but also churns barely decent things.
I agree that them being off the project could be a good thing. They could have done great work but been suffering on the management side: scope creep, missed milestones, etc. I kind of suspect that might be the case. They had Gran Blue Fantasy, Star Fox Zero, Nier Automata, Scalebound, Astral Chain, and other small projects all at the same time.

I think Platinum is great but their output varies as a result of being stretched too thin.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Big Relink update.

Granblue-Fantasy-Relink_Slides_2020_12-12-20_001-1536x864.jpg

Granblue-Fantasy-Relink_Slides_2020_12-12-20_002.jpg

• Coming to PS4 and PS5 in 2022
  • Currently in Alpha
  • Player Character is Gran/Djeeta
  • Much of 2019 was spent building out CyGames' team in Osaka; they also proved out a lot of concepts including four-player real-time gameplay
  • 2020 was focused on doing a major rework of the engine which only just completed in August; will help streamline development going forward
Much more at the link.

Gameplay demo (Begins at 6:16:49; time-stamped):

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Big Relink update.

Granblue-Fantasy-Relink_Slides_2020_12-12-20_001-1536x864.jpg

Granblue-Fantasy-Relink_Slides_2020_12-12-20_002.jpg

• Coming to PS4 and PS5 in 2022
  • Currently in Alpha
  • Player Character is Gran/Djeeta
  • Much of 2019 was spent building out CyGames' team in Osaka; they also proved out a lot of concepts including four-player real-time gameplay
  • 2020 was focused on doing a major rework of the engine which only just completed in August; will help streamline development going forward
Much more at the link.

Gameplay demo (Begins at 6:16:49; time-stamped):

Man that looked rough. The first trailer/gameplay was far better than this. Sticking with Genshin smh I don't even see any Plat left in this game. The roster can still save this for me since I love the world/characters but now (like Versus because of DLC shit) I'll get it when it is deeply discounted rather than day one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Man that looked rough. The first trailer/gameplay was far better than this. Sticking the Genshin smh I don't even see any Plat left in this game. The roster can still save this for me since I love the world/characters but now (like Versus because of DLC shit) I'll get it when it is deeply discounted rather than day one.
Based on what they've said and shown I'm thinking Platinum either wasn't delivering or they drastically changed direction. Inclined to believe the former more than the latter. Either way, feels like everything before was smoke and mirrors after watching this. Game only landed on my radar in late 2018 so I was surprised to see how crazy development had been when I started reading up on it.

Was hoping they'd announce a PC or Switch version. I think release only on PS might be a bit of a headwind. Game is probably too ambitious for Switch but PC seems like a no brainer to me...

I do want to try out the co-op though, interesting concept.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I feel the gameplay make me think of a little more pushed Dragalia Lost now.
I thought the exact same thing. 4 player co-op, dodging the ranged attacks, big area of effect zones to avoid, team stats in the upper left, the healing, boss with overdrive/break mechanic. I enjoy Dragalia but find the inventory management and mobile nature of it frustrating at times so this might actually work really well to scratch that itch.

Top Bottom