• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy Project Re:Link announced - Action RPG, Platinum Games [UPDATE]

Is this good Platinum or rush job Platinum?

The million dollar question. Unfortunately impossible to know until the game is released. I mean, the TMNT game seemed similar in quality to Transformers: Devastation.

Remember when the Platinum Games logo was the highest seal of quality in existence? :(

ggx2ac

It's definitely not a 3DS game so that would be really difficult at best.

Knowing what platforms it's releasing on would help a lot. Plus, Platinum Games could try to influence the publishers to consider releasing it in the west for whatever platforms including Steam. (Which would help get to that million seller figure)

Oregano

The mobile game itself has more than 12 million players currently. It's a very popular one.

The problem isn't the popularity of the series, it's the popularity of dedicated consoles in Japan.

EDIT:
Knowing what platforms it's releasing on would help a lot. Plus, Platinum Games could try to influence the publishers to consider releasing it in the west for whatever platforms including Steam. (Which would help get to that million seller figure)

If you're including the west it's more plausible but the brand has no cache in the west so it's still difficult.

Zyrox

Damn this looks dope. The part with the dragon on the ship? That's my kinda shit right here.
...gotta pray for this one to come out in English ain't I? :(

for how nice it is to have an action RPG, I'd prefer a proper turn based old school stuff. Mobile game is already kinda that, but dragged down a bit by gacha mobage conventions.

Plus not having to make them directly playable expands possible pool of waifu... I mean, characters, characters they can add

I thought madworld was a highly rated wii masterpiece!?

I mean, it was novel as a concept for the hardware...

I always thought that it was a bit too repetitive, the novelty wore off after the first few levels, leaving only the bosses to bring the hype. But the later bosses never topped the earlier ones (outside of the succubus).

It's fun but it doesn't compare to the real Wii masterpieces like Little King Story

Kudo

Announcement was for Japan so I'd assume it's either NX or PS4. Here's hoping it's PS4 so there's chances of it hitting PC too in West and both machines without unnecessary changes, but I'd say how they don't mention a machine would indicate NX is more likely.
Game looked pretty damn dope so I'm looking forward to this.

Chobel

Seriously how big is Platinum games? Right now they have 3 big budget(?) Action JRPG games in development.

And no fucking way this is a mobile game.

Falk

that puzzling face
I just realized I am no longer excited when Platinum is revealed to be working on a game. They diluted their quality efforts with so much shit in recent years I cannot muster any hype.

I don't disagree - it feels like they're the Telltale of action games.

This looks cautiously good though.

Oregano

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /news/201608/21113724.html on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

;_;

Try refreshing or pressing enter on the address bar.;)

ZoddGutts

Graphically looks too good for what the Mobile/Vita can do. So PS4/PC? Some parts look like what Korean PC MMO games look and play these days.

Forbidden

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

;_;

You know how to get in famitsu right, just click the link on address bar then press enter.

Macrotus

Forbidden

;_;

Try copying and pasting the URL directly in to your browser, rather than clicking on the link.
It may work.

Chobel

Forbidden

;_;

For some fucking reason, Famitsu doesn't allow referrals from other websites. So you have to copy the link to the address bar :/

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
You know how to get in famitsu right, just click the link on address bar then press enter.

Try copying and pasting the URL directly in to your browser, rather than clicking on the link.
It may work.

For some fucking reason, Famitsu doesn't allow referrals from other websites. So you have to copy the link to the address bar :/

worked ^-^

and they talk about a scenario and MP mode if I understand correct.
マルチプレイを目指している & シングルで遊ぶシナリオモードもあれば、マルチで遊ぶモードもある

Dang, looks like Cygames doesn't develop for consoles at all so I'm guessing this is a browser game.

I don't disagree - it feels like they're the Telltale of action games.

This looks cautiously good though.

Let's be honest, they always look cautiously good :p

tapinn

Neo Member
I will be cautiously looking forward to this. It can potentially be an amazing game, or just something mainly for promoting the mobile game.

Oregano

Ahh,I was looking through their official website and they don't have any console games listed on there. Well, no home console games then.

Well as pointed out earlier they opened a studio specifically for PS4 development. I just used DQVIII because it's a game that's already been released. They definitely develop on consoles.

I'm a sucker for full armored thin-sword Knights so I really like the MC there. Assuming that she is the main character.

Yo Saito is on this? Aw shit

Kenji Saito is working on this! Sweet!

giphy.gif

Well as pointed out earlier they opened a studio specifically for PS4 development. I just used DQVIII because it's a game that's already been released. They definitely develop on consoles.

Ooo that would be awesome if it came to PS4. If true they might be waiting until TGS to announce the platform. Hard to research these guys since they don't have a Wikipedia page.

koutoru

I'm surprised that Cygames didn't hold his announcement until TGS. But hey, I'm not complaining.
Edit:It's at Cygames Next event, nevermind.

Sesha

Combat looks decent enough, but the character design and setting isn't my cup of tea.

Is this good Platinum or rush job Platinum?

There's only "working for a publisher and can't control budget/time" Platinum.

I just realized I am no longer excited when Platinum is revealed to be working on a game. They diluted their quality efforts with so much shit in recent years I cannot muster any hype.

Platinum aren't miracle workers. They can't squeeze great games out of Activision tie-in games, or games they only have a limited amount of design input on.

The million dollar question. Unfortunately impossible to know until the game is released. I mean, the TMNT game seemed similar in quality to Transformers: Devastation.

Remember when the Platinum Games logo was the highest seal of quality in existence? :(

No? Outside of Bayonetta and arguably Vanquish and Bayonetta 2, all of their games have been good/interesting but flawed.

Considering their first game ever was Mad World... no?

Touché, but that's like saying Squaresoft was never a guarantee of quality during the SNES era because of their early PC-8801 games. And yet MadWorld is apparently a masterpiece compared to the likes of TMNT (I didn't play enough of MadWorld, or any of TMNT, to compare, though).

You do have a point, though. Even though their "golden period" between Bayonetta and Korra, they put out Anarchy Reigns, that, while not bad by any means, wasn't as polished. Even then, Bayonetta -> Vanquish -> Anarchy Reigns ->Metal Gear Rising -> The Wonderful 101 -> Bayonetta 2 is a damn crazy roll.

Airan

Jesus, look at all that Chromatic Aberration. This is actually the first game I got sick of seeing that effect in.

Otherwise I'm cautiously optimistic for this, hearing Kenji Saito working on it is good news.

Top Bottom