• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Grand Knights History (PSP, Vanillaware) - Famitsu preview is up

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
May 21, 2006
17,232
3
0
Art looks great. The line work on the dragon in the left shot seems really... crisp to me.

Here's as good of a place as any;
Does anyone have a Chrome extension that disables referrers for specific domains? I don't want to turn off referrers in general, and it's so stupid to have to click a Famitsu link and then press refresh in order to see what I want to see.
 

Acosta

Member
Jun 9, 2004
12,637
0
0
39
Mine, mine, mine! *hugs PSP*

Frankly, I don't care much if Vainillaware games are great or not, I can't resist to those graphics.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
37
Some gameplay details: The player is the captain of a squad of knights. You basically create the knights which form your squad. You can customize the appearance, gender, voice, weapons, and various details of each knight. You use town hubs are places to organize and prepare your forces, then you march forth into the world map to travel and quest, encountering enemies along the way. Battles are turn based and not action based, unlike previous Vanillaware games.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
37
For the people importing or buying the game in Japan: The pre-order bonus will be a hardcover artbook - Grand Knights Chronicle. I assume it will be similar to the Odin Sphere preorder artbook, which was also very nice.
 
Feb 16, 2011
28,765
0
625
duckroll said:
Some gameplay details: The player is the captain of a squad of knights. You basically create the knights which form your squad. You can customize the appearance, gender, voice, weapons, and various details of each knight. You use town hubs are places to organize and prepare your forces, then you march forth into the world map to travel and quest, encountering enemies along the way. Battles are turn based and not action based, unlike previous Vanillaware games.
This sounds... incredible.
 

LiK

Member
Mar 26, 2007
128,989
4
0
MA
twitter.com
duckroll said:
For the people importing or buying the game in Japan: The pre-order bonus will be a hardcover artbook - Grand Knights Chronicle. I assume it will be similar to the Odin Sphere preorder artbook, which was also very nice.
Fuck yea.
 

volturnus

Banned
Aug 31, 2010
1,053
0
0
Rio de Janeiro
The game looks amazing indeed, do their games usually get localized?
Btw, I've recently bought a psp-3000 and want buy some JRPGs for it other than Ys, Lunar and Phantasy Star. Could somebody recommend some of them?
 

Dead Prince

Banned
Dec 7, 2007
61,999
1
0
www.soukthachonevilaysack.com
duckroll said:
For the people importing or buying the game in Japan: The pre-order bonus will be a hardcover artbook - Grand Knights Chronicle. I assume it will be similar to the Odin Sphere preorder artbook, which was also very nice.
i think... i might preorder. unless of course this hits PSN which i have to turn down and hunt the book on ebay haha ;(
 
Feb 16, 2011
28,765
0
625
volturnus said:
The game looks amazing indeed, do their games usually get localized?
Btw, I've recently bought a psp-3000 and want buy some JRPGs for it other than Ys, Lunar and Phantasy Star. Could somebody recommend some of them?
If you like SRPG's I would suggest Tactics Ogre. If you don't like SRPG's I would suggest Tactics Ogre.
 

Suzzopher

Member
Jul 23, 2009
6,101
0
0
Princess Skittles said:
Everything but Princess Crown, I beleive, has been.
Wasn't the reason Princess Crown didn't make it here on PSP, because they no longer had the source code so the game was emulated?
 

Seraphinianus

Banned
Sep 2, 2010
10,740
0
0
duckroll said:
For the people importing or buying the game in Japan: The pre-order bonus will be a hardcover artbook - Grand Knights Chronicle. I assume it will be similar to the Odin Sphere preorder artbook, which was also very nice.


do places like play-asia or ncsx offer pre-order bonuses?
 

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Dec 7, 2007
8,267
1
0
Suzzopher said:
Wasn't the reason Princess Crown didn't make it here on PSP, because they no longer had the source code so the game was emulated?
Hmm, maybe.

But Sony America did have a rather obnoxious stance on console ports for PSP early on. I don't know if that counted for Saturn games or just PS1 stuff.
 

Neon_Icarus

Member
Jan 10, 2010
1,300
0
0
Finland
At first I was moaning by myself about it not being on the 3DS.

Then I remembered that I have a PSP.

Hope it is not too late in it's life cycle to get a localized version.
 

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Dec 7, 2007
8,267
1
0
Corleth the Fey said:
Good old Vanillaware. I'll get the PSP version, but is it too much to ask for a 3DS version as well? Imagines the parallax!
They are working on a separate 3DS project.

Er, well, now I can't remember if that was Vanillaware or just Marvelous. Either way, 2D on 3DS will be delish.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
37
Smision said:
do places like play-asia or ncsx offer pre-order bonuses?
With Play-Asia, you're rolling the dice. If they get it they'll definitely ship it with the order, but you have no way of knowing. With NCSX, they will tell you if they're getting the goodies, how many they have, and whether your order will include one.

Princess Skittles said:
They are working on a separate 3DS project.

Er, well, now I can't remember if that was Vanillaware or just Marvelous. Either way, 2D on 3DS will be delish.
You do realize that 2D games on the 3DS will actually potentially look worse than 2D games on PSP right? All things being equal in terms of development and quality of course.
 

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Jun 9, 2004
27,616
0
0
Brisbane, Australia
Looks like they might be doing their homework on this one. Could be a great game. Sakimoto along for the ride means the tunes will be sublimely cool. Shame it's going to be a sleeper.
 

oracrest

Member
Feb 6, 2006
5,239
1
0
38
www.youtube.com
Shig said:
I wish Vanillaware would get the urge to make a game with, you know, actual level design.
I've always wished they would do an open free roaming world of some kind. I don't like how it's usually just point A and B on a map, and then you go into a gameplay section.
 

wrowa

Member
Jul 26, 2006
14,351
1
1,170
Germany
As someone who dislikes Muramasa (and to a lesser degree Odin Sphere) strongly due to its monotonous gameplay but who adores Vanillaware's stunning 2D-designs, I'm looking forward to the (round-based) gameplay style. Maybe Vanillaware will finally deliver something that I don't only like to look at.
 

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Dec 7, 2007
8,267
1
0
duckroll said:
You do realize that 2D games on the 3DS will actually potentially look worse than 2D games on PSP right? All things being equal in terms of development and quality of course.
So? I guess I should stop being excited about the game because of some minor technical obsession?