• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto III & Vice City reverse engineered (and Open Source)

YCoCg

This has been gaining interest on GitHub but it appears that Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City have been fully reverse engineered and made open source. There was some news floating around in the past about these games appearing on the Nintendo Switch but they've now shown off a Wii U and PlayStation Vita build of these games, as well as listing native Linux and Mac versions (along with 64-bit Windows). The project went "public" recently and the team who have worked on it are open to helping out with ports to other platforms, you just need a copy of the games files from the PC version (either from the original discs or via a digital copy from Steam/Rockstar, etc). Here's the info blurb from their page:
In this repository you'll find the fully reversed source code for GTA III (master branch) and GTA VC (miami branch).

It has been tested and works on Windows, Linux and FreeBSD, on x86, amd64, arm and arm64.
Rendering is handled either by original RenderWare (D3D8) or the reimplementation librw (D3D9, OpenGL 2.1 or above, OpenGL ES 2.0 or above).
Audio is done with MSS (using dlls from original GTA) or OpenAL.

The project has also been ported to the Nintendo Switch, Playstation Vita and Nintendo Wii U.

We cannot build for PS2 or Xbox yet. If you're interested in doing so, get in touch with us.

You can find the projects on GitHub at the following links:
re3 (Grand Theft Auto III)
reVC (Grand Theft Auto: Vice City)

107703343-cd101700-6cbb-11eb-9ccd-012cb90524b7.png
107703348-d00b0780-6cbb-11eb-8afd-054249c2b95e.png

107714103-f38a7e00-6ccc-11eb-88a3-c8c2033c51d6.png
107714106-f4bbab00-6ccc-11eb-96a9-13821d9b9684.png

CamHostage

Pretty rad.

Played a bit of GTA3 on my Vita and it runs surprisingly well on it.
If they get down to the third game, I would be very happy to finally have the world of GTA San Andreas on my Vita or Wii U after hoping in vain back in the day for some kind of GTA San Andreas Stories (to complete the GTA Stories trilogy from PSP/PS2) on those two platforms.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Forget ports, I want to see some engine level upgrades. Give me arbitrary frame rate support on PC and all that good stuff, frame rate tied to physics is just about the only thing holding the PC versions back these days.

Kupfer

If they get down to the third game, I would be very happy to finally have the world of GTA San Andreas on my Vita or Wii U after hoping in vain back in the day for some kind of GTA San Andreas Stories (to complete the GTA Stories trilogy from PSP/PS2) on those two platforms.
You probably can play GTA:SA on your mobile console in some time.

The android version of Max Payne running on my Vita works also pretty well.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Was aware of this for a while, its reverse engineered, so it can't be axed that easily really. The Wii U port is a new one to me, though.

The Vita port is coming along very well thanks in due part to Rittegatamante who practically ported every game under the sun to Sony's handheld.

What may also help is that the engine behind it, Renderware, has seen its source code released and people can build programs for Xbox/PS2/NGC now.

TVexperto

So what does that mean? The game is already available on every plattform? Are those reverse engineered versions better?

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
So what does that mean? The game is already available on every plattform?
Where am i saying this?
Im saying that the engine behind it has seen its SDK released which may help this reverse engineering effort.

Are those reverse engineered versions better?
Better as in that the GTA games can now be ported to different problems, only requiring the game data.

Hudo

Wish that it had been R* who released it themselves (like C&CR), but reverse-engineered code will have to do.
Yeah, then we truly would have the "real implementation" but this will do, I guess.
I'd love to get my hands on the GTA 2 engine source code. Yeah, I know it's nothing that's surprising or hard to guess how they might have implemented it. But I always found it to be quite neat regardless.

YCoCg

Are those reverse engineered versions better?
Strictly on PC, yes, the new versions have proper aspect ratio support (so you can play in 21:9 for example) and have all the broken graphical effects restored, along with native controller support with UI prompts and the ability to cycle through controller options (Dualshock 3, 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, etc). And work has begun on lifting the framerate caps and untie the physics to framerate, I was playing an earlier build at 144fps and the it looked insanely smooth, they just need to fix some more physics related stuff and timings and it'd be perfect. And of course it's native on Linux and Mac now too instead of running through WINE.

Give me arbitrary frame rate support on PC and all that good stuff, frame rate tied to physics is just about the only thing holding the PC versions back these days.
See above.

I mean, port it to Xbox One/SX

Open Lara and ports of tge Whitehead versions of the Sonic games already have been ported to that
I think they'd require someone who knows UWP, as far as I'm aware they currently don't have anyone on the team for that, but they are open to people joining.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Strictly on PC, yes, the new versions have proper aspect ratio support (so you can play in 21:9 for example) and have all the broken graphical effects restored, along with native controller support with UI prompts and the ability to cycle through controller options (Dualshock 3, 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, etc). And work has begun on lifting the framerate caps and untie the physics to framerate, I was playing an earlier build at 144fps and the it looked insanely smooth, they just need to fix some more physics related stuff and timings and it'd be perfect. And of course it's native on Linux and Mac now too instead of running through WINE.

See above.

I think they'd require someone who knows UWP, as far as I'm aware they currently don't have anyone on the team for that, but they are open to people joining.
Fantastic, thank you. Going to look at this tomorrow.

I always wanted to replay these games, if not a brand new GTA, on the PS Vita. The handheld should have supported the PS2 Classics library. Nowadays I just replay them on Steam. But it's very cool to see the old source code finally made open source. The GTA 3D era trilogy are some of my all-time favorites.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

Ill be honest, i tried replaying Vice City(probably my fav game ever) and the dying in water ruins it, if they sort that im all in.

theclaw135

Banned
So what does that mean? The game is already available on every plattform? Are those reverse engineered versions better?

I don't know III or Vice City much, but the San Andreas PC port was garbage. Rockstar's multiple updates improved some details (controller support) and worsened others (the soundtrack). I'm not even sure whether modders have **fully** restored the PS2 lighting/atmosphere.

Last edited:

YCoCg

It's been good to see some gaming sites mention this! There's a few more ports in the works apparently.

Kupfer

Just tested it yesterday and the setup works like a charm on the Vita.
30-24 fps for me @500mhz, didn't recognize a difference to 444mhz, so I'll stick with that. It even feels like playing it in 2003 on my old Desktop that way.

Last edited:
You mean I can play Vice City on the go with the Vita instead of settling for the PSP's Vice City Stories? I'll be taking a look at this later :messenger_ok:

Stitch

Gold Member
wait... so does this mean the game can be modded for first person? anything with an android port can technically be modded by him to work on the quest, right?
this has been possible for a while now

now with the game code being open source someone could do a better first person mode with motion controls

horkrux

welp, the fools at T2 have had it all taken down

https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2021/02/2021-02-19-take-two.md

Please provide a detailed description of the original copyrighted work that has allegedly been infringed. If possible, include a URL to where it is posted online.

The content in the links below consists of copyrighted materials owned by Take-Two. The use of our copyrighted content in these links are unauthorized and it should be removed immediately.

https://www.rockstargames.com/games/grandtheftauto3
https://www.rockstargames.com/games/vicecity

lol so detailed

• Empathy
Reactions: RNG

Kupfer

Strange. I thought if something is reverse-engineereda and doesn't contain any of the licensed data, companies can't do anything about it. That's like the "Big Cars" company suing you for putting the engine of your "Big Cars" car into a chassis you built yourself, isn't it?

Glad I just updated gta3/vc/sa yesterday on my Vita, but a huge drawback for the people keeping such awesome projects and hardware (Vita) alive.

Last edited:

YCoCg

It seems like Eurogamer were the ones who went and asked Take-Two about this project to get a comment. Gg.

It seems like Eurogamer were the ones who went and asked Take-Two about this project to get a comment. Gg.

They've yet to bother putting the collection onto the Switch yet so doubt they'll give a shit. Heck they prolly already knew about it anyways.

PnCIa

Could anyone pm me those files please?
Would love to play those games again.
Opensource implementations of old games should be encouraged...OpenMW is a prime example!

Got around to installing Vice City on the ol' Vita yesterday. Runs pretty well considering and looks good on the portable screen, might even do the mod that switches the car models for the higher quality ones in the Xbox version.

Shame it's been taken down as I was looking to do GTA III & San Andreas too, Wouldn't surprise me tho if the files are still out there on some Vita homebrew site for now.

Hari Seldon

I wouldn't count on it staying down. If the team can prove they followed clean-room protocol (and if they're undertaking such a project they will be able to) then what T2 just did was actually illegal.

That is assuming that the people doing this for fun can spend the money to fight this. It doesn't have to be legal if one side will sick lawyers and the other side will not.

Read this article very carefully. There's a link still providing the files on vitadb.
Not much help unless P PnCIa happens to be wanting to play it on Vita. That being said I took the liberty last night of aquiring the repos and all the various 1.0 PC builds for archival purposes just in case...so I know they're still out there and available, though for obvious reasons I'm not going to say exactly where.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In September, Take-Two filed a suit aimed at 14 programmers from around the world who have been working together to make derivative source code for both GTA 3 and GTA Vice City.

The result was the re3 project, which offers “the fully reversed source code for GTA III and GTA VC”, as well as ports of the games for Switch, Wii U and Vita.

The project also includes some improvements to the original games, including bug fixes, a rotatable camera, XInput controller support on PC, widescreen support and no loading screens between islands.

Take-Two’s lawsuit claims the programmers who worked on the project “are well aware that they do not possess the right to copy, adapt, or distribute derivative GTA source code, or the audiovisual elements of the games, and that doing so constitutes copyright infringement”.

However, the modders have responded by denying the claims made in the lawsuit, replying: “Defendants deny that Plaintiff is entitled to any of the relief sought in its prayer for relief. Defendants respectfully request that the Court enter judgement in their favour and against Plaintiff, denying Plaintiff all relief sought herein.”

The response denies Take-Two’s claims that it “has suffered and continues to suffer damages” as a result of the mod’s distribution.

One of the reasons for this is because although the mod itself contains reverse-engineered source code from the original games, it doesn’t actually contain any Rockstar-created assets such as music, dialogue and imagery, meaning players need to own a copy of GTA III to build their own port.

Top Bottom