• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV Steam Update Coming March 19th, Removes GFWL

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
A new update for Grand Theft Auto IV and Episodes From Liberty City is coming to the Steam version of the games. The update will combine the two releases into one launcher, as well as removing the accursed hellspawn that is Games for Windows Live, and all associated features. From their store pages:
We are making a number of changes to make sure players who own Grand Theft Auto IV and GTA: Episodes from Liberty City can continue to enjoy these games.
New Players
Starting 03/19/2020, Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition will replace both Grand Theft Auto IV and Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City wherever it is currently digitally available. Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition will as also be available via the Rockstar Games Launcher.
Current game save files will be compatible with Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition.
As a result of this update the following services will no longer be available in Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition:
  • Games for Windows Live
  • Multiplayer mode
  • Leaderboards
The following Radio Stations will be temporarily unavailable in Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition
  • RamJam FM, Self-Actualization FM, and Vice City FM (previously available in Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City)

You can visit the store page for the combined package down below, or by clicking here if the embed's broken.

Bullet Club

Important Updates To Grand Theft Auto IV and Episodes from Liberty City

We are making a number of changes to make sure players who own Grand Theft Auto IV and GTA: Episodes from Liberty City can continue to enjoy these games.

New Players

Starting 03/19/2020, Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition will replace both Grand Theft Auto IV and Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City wherever it is currently digitally available. Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition will as also be available via the Rockstar Games Launcher.
Current game save files will be compatible with Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition.

As a result of this update the following services will no longer be available in Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition:
  • Games for Windows Live
  • Multiplayer mode
  • Leaderboards
The following Radio Stations will be temporarily unavailable in Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition
  • RamJam FM, Self-Actualization FM, and Vice City FM (previously available in Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City)
Note: Because Japanese is a supported language for Grand Theft Auto IV, but is not supported for Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City, players will continue to be able to play Grand Theft Auto IV with Japanese sub-titles but will need to select another language in order to play Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City.

Current Players

Players who have previously installed and played Grand Theft Auto IV or Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City will be able to update their copy to Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition through the following means:

Steam Users

Depending on the game, players on Steam will need to install or update their current game:
  • Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City will be removed and replaced with GTAIV: Complete Edition in the launcher library. Update file size is expected to be approximately 22GB
  • Grand Theft Auto IV owners will download content from Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City and their game will update to GTAIV: Complete Edition. Update file size is expected to be approximately 6GB
Physical Media
  • Games not previously activated using Games for Windows Live will be able to use the Key on the back of the game manual to activate and update to Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition
Games for Windows Live Digital Store Purchases
  • Games previously activated using Games for Windows Live will require players to create and/or link their Social Club accounts in replacement of Games for Windows Live to update to Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition
Note:New activations from players trying to install current copies of Grand Theft Auto IV may be disrupted until Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition is available. All users will need to be connected to the internet and authenticate their copy of the game

About This Game

PLEASE NOTE: Microsoft no longer supports creating Games for Windows-LIVE accounts within Grand Theft Auto IV. You can create an account through account.xbox.com and then log into your account in game.

Multiplayer will also no longer be available starting Mach 19th, 2020.

What does the American dream mean today?
For Niko Bellic fresh off the boat from Europe, it is the hope he can escape from his past. For his cousin, Roman, it is the vision that together they can find fortune in Liberty City, gateway to the land of opportunity. As they slip into debt and get dragged into a criminal underworld by a series of shysters, thieves and sociopaths, they discover that the reality is very different from the dream in a city that worships money and status, and is heaven for those who have them and a living nightmare for those who don't.
  • New high resolution technology brings Liberty City to life with even more stunning graphical detail
  • Optimized for PC controls and Xbox 360 controller

https://store.steampowered.com/app/12210/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV/

rofif

Banned
Fucking hell... It does not matter. The port is still terrible and the music is still removed. gfwl was the easiest thing to avoid... 360 disc version is still the best

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Fucking hell... It does not matter. The port is still terrible and the music is still removed. gfwl was the easiest thing to avoid... 360 disc version is still the best
It matters because the game's saving system relied on GFWL, and now users don't have to go out of their way to find xliveless. And those who don't like playing at 720p, or who don't want framerates dropping to the low 20s while just walking, aren't gonna be satisfied with the 360 release.
The game performed like shit on every platform. It still performs like shit even on Xbox One X. But any improvement's an improvement.

Wrong. While PC port was terrible, these days you can brute force 4k 60fps on high-end PC. Music can be easily restored or even enhanced with custom radio stations. XLiveLess solved games for windows problem years ago. If you want to play GTA IV in 2020, PC is the best place to do so.

rofif

Banned
Wrong. While PC port was terrible, these days you can brute force 4k 60fps on high-end PC. Music can be easily restored or even enhanced with custom radio stations. XLiveLess solved games for windows problem years ago. If you want to play GTA IV in 2020, PC is the best place to do so.
You can run this game 4k 60 but:
-physics start breaking above over 50fps. Especially camera speeding up and zooming during cutscenes
-removed music
-that 60 fps will never be stable
-If You set graphics to max, some light will flicker
-Depth of field scales with resolution. At 4k it's non existent and the game was designed with depth of field in mind
-Colors/contrast are all wrong. Cars wheels appear brighter than on 360 version. Can be somewhat fixed with reshade but not fully.

Sure, the 360 version performance is not great but it's consistent in the way it looks and works. It's the complete experience. I like how gritty and dark the 360 version is. On contrary - the pc version look washed out, aliased (4k helps a it for dof sacrifice) and is generally broken.

Xbox live was the least of this game problems on pc. xliveredist works on win10 no problem. Create local profile and be done with it. I only care about this game because I love it so much and analized it to hell on all platforms.
The pc version is still best played with 30fps lock, reshade and xbox controller

Last edited:

SCB3

It still had GFWL ? I would've thought they eliminated that when they released the new Launcher at least

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
I still have nightmares playing GTA IV on PC when it came out, it's so funny the port is still terrible so many years after.

My worst GTA probably for that reason, the first impression ruined everything for me.

GHG

Gold Member
This is good news.

Remember when we were told that GFWL was good for PC gaming by snotty nosed Xbox Fanboys. Good times.

source.gif

You can run this game 4k 60 but:
-physics start breaking above over 50fps. Especially camera speeding up and zooming during cutscenes
-removed music
-that 60 fps will never be stable
-If You set graphics to max, some light will flicker
-Depth of field scales with resolution. At 4k it's non existent and the game was designed with depth of field in mind
-Colors/contrast are all wrong. Cars wheels appear brighter than on 360 version. Can be somewhat fixed with reshade but not fully.

Sure, the 360 version performance is not great but it's consistent in the way it looks and works. It's the complete experience. I like how gritty and dark the 360 version is. On contrary - the pc version look washed out, aliased (4k helps a it for dof sacrifice) and is generally broken.

Xbox live was the least of this game problems on pc. xliveredist works on win10 no problem. Create local profile and be done with it. I only care about this game because I love it so much and analized it to hell on all platforms.
The pc version is still best played with 30fps lock, reshade and xbox controller

If you a 'purist' you will of course be annoyed by minor details like brightness of car wheels. I'm not. I much rather play at higher frame rates and maxed resolution.

I re-played the game on my PC late last year and never thought 'hey, this looks off'. I never experienced any physics related bugs or anything like it. If I recall correctly, I installed some unofficial patches so maybe that's why. It was an amazing, stable experience from start to finish...

I just run benchmarks and average FPS was ~65 on 2080 TI.
I got my 360 hooked up so I will play OG version now just to see if there are major differences. Interesting stuff.

Statistics
Average FPS: 65.74
Duration: 37.14 sec
CPU Usage: 19%
System memory usage: 43%
Video memory usage: 10%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 3840 x 2160 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Very High
Reflection Resolution: Very High
Water Quality: Very High
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x16
Night Shadows: Very High
View Distance: 100
Detail Distance: 100

H4ze

This sure is good news.

But I never had a problem running it via Steam, I actually just replayed it last year too, like the poster above.
Had a stable framerate, high resoluten, never had any physic bug or something like that.

And I still use my GTX1070.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

CyRuZ

Banned
Removing mp and probably make it always online. See gta5's sp. Why make a sp always online? Straight up ridiculous.

Edit: Mea culpa, just found out they removed always online for the sp.

Edit 2: Only works when you start it through Rockstars launcher. Starting it through steam still don't let you play offline. :pie_eyeroll:

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
What I really want to know if it'll run better than the dogshit form they released this game in across all platforms last gen.

RiverMan

Neo Member
Although I could never get into GTA IV, I'm hoping this won't end up a broken mess like they've left SA.

Dacon

Banned
Honestly I don't give a shit. Update the game with some actual optimization to fix the horrid performance on pc, if you're going to update ANYTHING that should be priority.

There use to be a really good guide on downgrading patches and setting the game up for best/stable playthrough. Seems its been deleted while all the other articles of GTAIV are still on the gamespy site.

rofif

Banned
Bit of a bump. I should create my own topic but this seems fitting.
I am writing this in search for anyone who shares my opinion, which might be controversial or weird.
I think the pc version is trash. Now more than ever. I will try to explain why I think Xbox 360 version is still the best:
-Steam release now requires rockstar launcher... my 10yo steam release is gone. it changed in complete edition and now requires a fucking launcher.
-Removed music. It is untouched on 360
-Pc version colors are all wrong. Even with reshade, the wheels seem floating and brighter than rest of the car. The game is more washed out. On 360 everything has definition and nothing stands out.
-Pc lacks MSAA. There is no way to implement it and going 4k+SMAA also scales the post processing effects and in effect below:
-Pc version lacks proper depth of field at resolutions higher than 720. But 720p looks much worse on pc release because of no MSAA.
-There are many bugs in pc version like crazy camera connected to fps, camera zooming in, flashing street lights and missing effects.
-Shadows are totally wrong on pc version. 360 uses those dithered shadows and "fake dither" ambient occulsion. The latter is totally gone on pc version and shadows are now this ugly, sharp blocks instead of nice dithered soft ones.

So we get a version without proper depth of field, proper motion blur, without legendary music, requiring launcher, without msaa, with many bugs, wrong lighting, shadows etc.
On 360 the game looks absolutely gorgeous despite 720p. The gritty colors, deep depth of field and bloom effects are showing as intended and IMO the only problem is low framerate which is not that bad as some other 360 games. It's something You can get used to.

I highly recommend checking out 360 version and giving it some time. I cannot recreate that look on pc version no matter how much I've tried. I can make it look nice in it's own with reshade but it's never what it's supposed to bee + many bugs.
It might be 2008 nostalgia as gta iv absolutely blew away everything with it's tech but when the morning sun hits the liberty city in the 360 version, the long shadows, orange contrasty look and depth of field look just right. I still like to launch my old dying 360 to roam around.

The xbox one bc versions all remove music right? Even if I have original disc? This fucking sucks...

Tldr - I like the soft, dithered contrasty dof look of the game on 360 and think the PC version is broken, washed out, aliased and a scam

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Bit of a bump. I should create my own topic but this seems fitting.
I am writing this in search for anyone who shares my opinion, which might be controversial or weird.
I think the pc version is trash. Now more than ever. I will try to explain why I think Xbox 360 version is still the best:
-Steam release now requires rockstar launcher... my 10yo steam release is gone. it changed in complete edition and now requires a fucking launcher.
-Removed music. It is untouched on 360
-Pc version colors are all wrong. Even with reshade, the wheels seem floating and brighter than rest of the car. The game is more washed out. On 360 everything has definition and nothing stands out.
-Pc lacks MSAA. There is no way to implement it and going 4k+SMAA also scales the post processing effects and in effect below:
-Pc version lacks proper depth of field at resolutions higher than 720. But 720p looks much worse on pc release because of no MSAA.
-There are many bugs in pc version like crazy camera connected to fps, camera zooming in, flashing street lights and missing effects.
-Shadows are totally wrong on pc version. 360 uses those dithered shadows and "fake dither" ambient occulsion. The latter is totally gone on pc version and shadows are now this ugly, sharp blocks instead of nice dithered soft ones.

So we get a version without proper depth of field, proper motion blur, without legendary music, requiring launcher, without msaa, with many bugs, wrong lighting, shadows etc.
On 360 the game looks absolutely gorgeous despite 720p. The gritty colors, deep depth of field and bloom effects are showing as intended and IMO the only problem is low framerate which is not that bad as some other 360 games. It's something You can get used to.

I highly recommend checking out 360 version and giving it some time. I cannot recreate that look on pc version no matter how much I've tried. I can make it look nice in it's own with reshade but it's never what it's supposed to bee + many bugs.
It might be 2008 nostalgia as gta iv absolutely blew away everything with it's tech but when the morning sun hits the liberty city in the 360 version, the long shadows, orange contrasty look and depth of field look just right. I still like to launch my old dying 360 to roam around.

The xbox one bc versions all remove music right? Even if I have original disc? This fucking sucks...
I can understand wanting to play with the look and feel of what you fell in love with. I'm sure I have some similar examples too, but I can't think of any. I prefer the Krome Studios (PS2/PSP/Wii) version of The Force Unleashed? But that one's an entirely separate game from its HD counterparts.
Here's a comparison for those interested. It's true, the 360 version does have its own look and colors that sets it apart from both the PC and the PS3 release. Sort of like how San Andreas achieved a different look on the PS2. I prefer the sharper and more grim look of the PC version, but wanting an orange sunny pop is just as valid a taste.

rofif

Banned
I can understand wanting to play with the look and feel of what you fell in love with. I'm sure I have some similar examples too, but I can't think of any. I prefer the Krome Studios (PS2/PSP/Wii) version of The Force Unleashed? But that one's an entirely separate game from its HD counterparts.
Here's a comparison for those interested. It's true, the 360 version does have its own look and colors that sets it apart from both the PC and the PS3 release. Sort of like how San Andreas achieved a different look on the PS2. I prefer the sharper and more grim look of the PC version, but wanting an orange sunny pop is just as valid a taste.

This video is weird. 360 is normally darker and more contrasty. Maybe they set black levels wrong.
This video is showing the difference I describe although the PC version looks better than in this video since it's old and badly represented. But 360 looks exactly like in the vid.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
This video is weird. 360 is normally darker and more contrasty. Maybe they set black levels wrong.
This video is showing the difference I describe although the PC version looks better than in this video since it's old and badly represented. But 360 looks exactly like in the vid.

I can really see what you mean. There are some bits that make me wish I could play with those visuals on PC. At 1:10 I'm all about the PC's version, but 2:27? Woah, gimme the Xbox visuals. That just triggers something comfy inside me.

JonSnowball

I feel like this is an improvement. The previous version on Steam required Rockstar Games Social Club and Games for Windows Live. Now it's just the Rockstar Launcher.

rofif

Banned
I feel like this is an improvement. The previous version on Steam required Rockstar Games Social Club and Games for Windows Live. Now it's just the Rockstar Launcher.
It did not installed social club for like 7 years. Only required gfwl and that could be offline 1 click account. No hassle at all.
Now it requires active rockstar fucking store. I've bought it on steam for fucking sake... 10 years ago and they change my purchase how they want. Digital future is a nightmare

This is possibly the worst comparison video I have ever seen. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I couldn't even get this game to launch after the update. In fact it would actually turn off my monitor, leaving me with a black screen and needing my to do a hard reset to get back into Windows!

..despite numerous attempts to discover the problem, I gave up in the end and just uninstalled it, can put the HD space to better use.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I couldn't even get this game to launch after the update. In fact it would actually turn off my monitor, leaving me with a black screen and needing my to do a hard reset to get back into Windows!

..despite numerous attempts to discover the problem, I gave up in the end and just uninstalled it, can put the HD space to better use.
ah fuck I had that same problem with a couple Assassin's Creeds. Best fix is to force borderless windowed. Maybe GeForce Experience (or the AMD equivalent) can do that for you if the game supports it, otherwise try an application called Borderless Gaming.
You know, if you care enough about the game.

D.Final

Banned

Really huge difference here

Top Bottom