• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

FightyF

Banned
Am I the only one looking at the multiplayer modes in disbelief? Sounds too good to be true, to the point where I am not going to fully believe it until I see it with my own eyes.

dejay

Banned
FightyF said:
Am I the only one looking at the multiplayer modes in disbelief? Sounds too good to be true, to the point where I am not going to fully believe it until I see it with my own eyes.

Pretty much. I like to go in a little under-enthused anyway, then any surprises will just be nice ones. Still, squads of four in cars and choppers ripping up a fictional New York has me a little excited.

A rundown of the Play multiplayer info from DeeperRed at GTAForums

* Belic means "Warlike"
* Times Squares big and covered in ads
* In DeathMatch its confined to an area on the map to keep the action intense
* In TeamDeath match four can sit in a helicopter/car, the non drives can shoot with any weapon they have, not just uzi/pistols
* MAFIYA WORK consists off you being given simply missions as a group and having to pull them off i.e. recruit people, doing hits or there favorite find and dispose of heads
* Team MAFIYA WORK is more competitive the Mafiya work but fundelmendaly the same thing
* Cops n Crooks consists of one player being assigned as the boss while the other robbers protect him from the cops, they must take him to a secure location before he is killed.
* Hangmans NOOSE is four players and consists of you having to protect Petrovic from the swat from the airport to a safe house
* Free Mode is like single player with mates . Go anywhere do anything
* On customisation the more you play the more you unlock so experienced players will have more items to choose from.
* Team Dethmatch is relentless, you cannot relax
* In HANGMANS NOOSE they tore down the runway in a baggage handler shooting at the SWAT- The writer said it was the funniest thing he has seen in a video game
* They saw an NPC tagging a shop wall and another ped taking photo's, peds now have a purpose
* they shot a rocket at the npc it destroyed the front of the shop leaving a hole in the wall and set the body flying through the area, eventually hitting the ground in a lifeless clump
* They played both versions Xbox and PS3 and said there's no difference (Kinda weird for Play magazine because they are usually really biased)
* Police have lines of sight so hding in alley ways and roofs is possible though you must still get out of the radius
* Rowing Boats are comfirmed as they used them to escape from the police after setting fire to hot dog stands
* Rockstar hinted at the amusmant park having loads to do within it

FightyF

Banned
Heh...I shouldn't be repeating what I've said just 2 posts ago...but seriously, after reading all that MP info...it's just too good to be true!

That Free Roam mode is going to be crazy. I've spent a lot of time just trying out funky stuff with friends in PGR/Forza/Crackdown/Gran Turismo for some mindless fun trying to make crazy shit happen when we're bored of the normal gameplay. GTA4 is going to be the ultimate game for that sort of stuff. Which makes me think...the only thing that would make this game an 11 out of 10 would be the replay mode a la Halo 3. Other than that, this game has it all.

Loudninja

FightyF said:
Heh...I shouldn't be repeating what I've said just 2 posts ago...but seriously, after reading all that MP info...it's just too good to be true!

That Free Roam mode is going to be crazy. I've spent a lot of time just trying out funky stuff with friends in PGR/Forza/Crackdown/Gran Turismo for some mindless fun trying to make crazy shit happen when we're bored of the normal gameplay. GTA4 is going to be the ultimate game for that sort of stuff. Which makes me think...the only thing that would make this game an 11 out of 10 would be the replay mode a la Halo 3. Other than that, this game has it all.

I cannot wait to play the free mode,I think that will be the most played mode.

DO WANT this game soooo badly. Only thing that can beat it this year is MGS4. Goddamn at the scale, I might have to go and buy a PS3 for this.

dTau

Banned
how big is the chance we'll get comparison videos and screens of both versions before launch? i want to know which version to pre-order

camineet

Banned
dTau said:
how big is the chance we'll get comparison videos and screens of both versions before launch? i want to know which version to pre-order

With a game this momentous, I'd be getting both versions. If I could only get one, I'd get the one that's the most stable, the one that's had the least problems in development. I'd also consider the one that has upcoming downloadable episodic content....

Pretty obvious which version ;)

This game is going to be great. Hopefully Rockstar will let us have another look/play before release. Can't wait to be buddies with Brucie

dTau said:

Well looking at IGN's videos for San Andreas, they didn't post any actual gameplay videos until the day of its release. So I wouldn't expect any for GTA4 until then also. Rockstar basically likes to keep on the media for the game controlled until they can get it into peoples hands so nothing is spoiled.

Tr4nce

dTau said:

If you had followed the news, you would know that every preview stated that the game runs very similar on PS3 and X360. The differences are minimal/non-existent.

Tr4nce said:
If you had followed the news, you would know that every preview stated that the game runs very similar on PS3 and X360. The differences are minimal/non-existent.
We've seen that before though... including devs saying the same thing. It's not always accurate.

raYne

MMaRsu said:
For sure, but didn't they already use that in a GTA game? I doubt they'll put the same song in...

I think it was in Vice City, or Gta3..
Yea, it was in 3 if I recall.

edit:
Flashback FM. <3

raYne

MMaRsu said:
so yeah I doubt they'll put the same songs in :p.
But I'm really anxious ( or however you write it ) to know all the music ^_^
Well, it's not like they don't have more than enough radio stations to go around. :lol If not, custom soundtracks FTW!!!11!eleven.

I'll probably cruise around for like an hour on day one. Doing nothing but listening to them.

MMaRsu

Banned
raYne said:
Well, it's not like they don't have more than enough radio stations to go around. :lol If not, custom soundtracks FTW!!!11!eleven.

I'll probably cruise around for like an hour on day one. Doing nothing but listening to them.

Yeah most likely :p. I can't wait to hear some new lazlow material, I hope he has his own radio station this time around :D Fucking loved chatterbox so yeah

Tr4nce

Cdammen said:
The hype-o-meter is off the scale for me after reading PLAY's GTAIV article :O

Yeah, especially that one sentence: 'GTA IV Online Multiplayer will change online gaming forever.'

We can only hope it's true :D

SolidSnakex said:
Well looking at IGN's videos for San Andreas, they didn't post any actual gameplay videos until the day of its release. So I wouldn't expect any for GTA4 until then also. Rockstar basically likes to keep on the media for the game controlled until they can get it into peoples hands so nothing is spoiled.

But you do remember the leak, right? Many videos were posted weeks before the release.

Great article from Play :) I haven't even been thinking about online, so it just adds more depth.

Can I just say "thanks" to the idiot on another site who got me all excited about there being tanks...I nearly posted "TANKS CONFIRMED" :D Surely though, there has to be tanks!?
1 Star - A cop or two
2 Stars - A few more cops
3 Stars - lots of cops and helicopters
4 Stars - lots of cops, helicopters and SWAT (I hope they really do have special weapons and tactics this time :D Like a sniper or two on the roofs :) )
5 Stars - lots of cops, helicopters, SWAT and the FBI
6 Stars - lots of cops, helicopters, SWAT, the FBI and the army with tanks ;)

There is no other way of doing it ;)

Tr4nce

Ballistics said:
Great article from Play :) I haven't even been thinking about online, so it just adds more depth.

Can I just say "thanks" to the idiot on another site who got me all excited about there being tanks...I nearly posted "TANKS CONFIRMED" :D Surely though, there has to be tanks!?
1 Star - A cop or two
2 Stars - A few more cops
3 Stars - lots of cops and helicopters
4 Stars - lots of cops, helicopters and SWAT (I hope they really do have special weapons and tactics this time :D Like a sniper or two on the roofs :) )
5 Stars - lots of cops, helicopters, SWAT and the FBI
6 Stars - lots of cops, helicopters, SWAT, the FBI and the army with tanks ;)

There is no other way of doing it ;)

Don't quote me on it, but I think I read somewhere that the Rhino will not make a return in GTA IV. IIRC R* didn't think it would fit in with the more realistic approach in GTA IV, because the tank was almost undestroyable. Again, don't quote me on it!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Tr4nce said:
Yeah, especially that one sentence: 'GTA IV Online Multiplayer will change online gaming forever.'

We can only hope it's true :D
Even though there are many modes in the multiplayer for GTA IV, I honestly don't think it will be that much different from running multiplayer in GTA 2. It was an awesome feature for sure but stating that it will change online gaming forever is a bit pretentious when the same gameplay experience has been done in the series years ago :lol

Although basically this is my dreams of GTA 3 multiplayer coming true. Such a shame it was never in that.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
speedpop said:
Even though there are many modes in the multiplayer for GTA IV, I honestly don't think it will be that much different from running multiplayer in GTA 2. It was an awesome feature for sure but stating that it will change online gaming forever is a bit pretentious when the same gameplay experience has been done in the series years ago :lol

Although basically this is my dreams of GTA 3 multiplayer coming true. Such a shame it was never in that.
I think the scale and depth that is possible in the GTA universe could blur the line between MMOs and traditional console multiplayer, if they explore that route.

Munin

Reading the multiplayer mode descriptions, Rockstar must have implemented full scale multiplayer synchronization in terms of civilians, cars, etc. Otherwise some of those modes don't make much sense. If they've really accomplished this, then holy shit. I thought a thing like that always used to be deemed unfeasible because of the required bandwidth.

w10

Tr4nce said:

except one has exclusive DLC. so if you have both systems, 360 is the way to go.

newsguy

w10 said:
except one has exclusive DLC. so if you have both systems, 360 is the way to go.

The post you quoted is talking strictly about performance, this thread is moving so smooth right now, let's not devolve again.

That PLAY article was very well done. I loved the specific accounts of the modes. Cops and Crooks sounds like insane fun. He said one guy stayed behind and sacrificed himself while the 3 of them headed to the goal. He jumped off the bridge into the water to save himself while his teammates fought the cops on the bridge. Free Roam sounds like the ultimate lobby pretty much. For those Crackdown lovers, I think this will be very satisfying. Half the time me and a buddy played Crackdown we were just seeing how much destruction we could cause. GTA should allow for lots of creative kills.

Oh and the write up on Hangman's NOOSE, where one player got into a "Blackhawk" style chopper and started mowing down SWAT, that had me sweating at how bad I want this game.

Odrion

Banned
Tr4nce said:
Don't quote me on it, but I think I read somewhere that the Rhino will not make a return in GTA IV. IIRC R* didn't think it would fit in with the more realistic approach in GTA IV, because the tank was almost undestroyable. Again, don't quote me on it!
tanks in a new york setting to vanquish a single criminal is pretty unrealistic, but they should still have one lying around somewhere

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
newsguy said:
The post you quoted is talking strictly about performance, this thread is moving so smooth right now, let's not devolve again.

Yes, for gawds sakes, YES.

Man, those multiplayer modes sound sweet. I guess it's too much to hope for local play? :(

But I've dreamed so long for a cops and robbers multiplayer game. This sounds too good to be true. :D

camineet

Banned
Any serious GTA fan would not even think twice about getting both versions. There's bound to be areas where Xbox 360 version is better, and other areas where PS3 version is better. That's how it is with many (not all but many) multiplatform games.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
camineet said:
Any serious GTA fan would not even think twice about getting both versions. There's bound to be areas where Xbox 360 version is better, and other areas where PS3 version is better. That's how it is with many (not all but many) multiplatform games.
I think a 'serious' GTA fan would probably buy it once for the console and once for the PC for the mods.

camineet said:

I disagree.

Ranger X

camineet said:

lol.
You can't seriously believe what you just wrote there. It's not because we are serious and passionate about a gaming or a game that we have obsessive completists. Why the hell would i buy a 360 in April with GTA4? I own a PS3 and i will buy the PS3 version that's it. Who cares the small differences of content really.
If you buy all versions of a game it's you that isn't quite normal. It's not being passionate or serious there. It's being a tool and being obsessed.

camineet said:

:lol :lol

FightyF

Banned
Munin said:
Reading the multiplayer mode descriptions, Rockstar must have implemented full scale multiplayer synchronization in terms of civilians, cars, etc. Otherwise some of those modes don't make much sense. If they've really accomplished this, then holy shit. I thought a thing like that always used to be deemed unfeasible because of the required bandwidth.

Exactly. Especially when considering this goes across the whole city, and it's all open at the beginning.

Again, I won't believe it until I see it with my own two eyes.

I hope the 1Up guys had a chance to play it...they should devote an entire 1Up Show to GTA4.

FightyF said:
I hope the 1Up guys had a chance to play it...they should devote an entire 1Up Show to GTA4.

Weren't they talking about it being really good but they weren't allowed to talk about it in detail? With more magazines talking about it now it seems like any exclusive would be ending on it so that everyone can talk about it.

Munin said:

I take it you never played crackdown online.

camineet

Banned
Ranger X said:
lol.
You can seriously believe what you just wrote there. It's not because we are serious and passionate about a gaming or a game that we have obsessive completists. Why the hell would i buy a 360 in April with GTA4? I own a PS3 and i will buy the PS3 version that's it. Who cares the small differences of content really.
If you buy all versions of a game it's you that isn't quite normal. It's not being passionate or serious there. It's being a tool and being obsessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom