• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB1981

My prediction: there will not be a single area (graphically, at least) where the PS3 version will be 'better' than the 360 version.

360 version will be the version to get (for graphics and performance etc). If I were a 360-only owner, I wouldn't worry. 3rd parties know where their bread is buttered.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
There is a fairly large segment of gamers that pretty much only buy Madden and GTA. I don't think MGS is as mainstream as GTA yet but I would love to be proven wrong.

sangreal

Big_T said:
I got free gamerpics code from amazon.

the email:
The Amazon Video Games team thanks you for your pre-order of Grand Theft Auto IV for Xbox 360. Now it's time to get you access to your Xbox Live Gamerpics.

Here is your Grand Theft Auto IV pre-order code(s):

What is to stop people from just ordering/canceling for the free pictures? Amazon doesn't charge your CC until they ship

I'm pretty sure the last time I pre-ordered a game with a bonus on Amazon they didn't send the code until they shipped it

Since next Thursday's trailer is the last GTA4 trailer, does anyone think it'll feature multiplayer footage? Rockstar's site hasn't updated about that at all and with it being the last trailer it seems like a perfect time to show it off. Unless they're just going to do short gameplay clips of it like they did with SA.

Kibbles

SolidSnakex said:
Since next Thursday's trailer is the last GTA4 trailer, does anyone think it'll feature multiplayer footage? Rockstar's site hasn't updated about that at all and with it being the last trailer it seems like a perfect time to show it off. Unless they're just going to do short gameplay clips of it like they did with SA.
I think it will if they really want it to be a big part of the game.

dfyb

Banned
SapientWolf said:
I think a 'serious' GTA fan would probably buy it once for the console and once for the PC for the mods.
i've always done this. some of the most fun i've had in a GTA game was with custom cars.

alba

Little is the new Big
SapientWolf said:
I think a 'serious' GTA fan would probably buy it once for the console and once for the PC for the mods.

This!

I only have a PS3 and I'm getting the PS3 version and once it hits pc, same thing all over again, mods and everything... :)

Sylar

Banned
Why would they break tradition, something that they have always upheld? It just doesn't make anysense. I would be dissapointed anyways. I always loved the GTA trailers for them showing the new characters with witty lines and such. I don't want to see multiplayer.

Your avatar of a lamp sorta looks like a woman in a thong with her legs up in the air.

o_O

Yoboman

Sylar said:
Why would they break tradition, something that they have always upheld? It just doesn't make anysense. I would be dissapointed anyways. I always loved the GTA trailers for them showing the new characters with witty lines and such. I don't want to see multiplayer.

o_O
What tradition are you talking about?

newsguy

Pimpbaa said:
Your avatar of a lamp sorta looks like a woman in a thong with her legs up in the air.

I'm sure that's the point.

R* trailers are all done cinematically. There's no need for them to pimp the multi as the hardcore know all about it and the casual will buy anything with the initials GTA in front of a number. Did anyone else read about the environemental damage in the PLAY article. I must have brushed over it. When they shot that graffiti guy with the rocket it left gaping hole where there used to be a window. That's awesome! I don't ask for full destruction like Mercenaries, but a sign that something was hit is great.

Sooo, I'm just thinking here about when to expect the next GTA release after IV. Since X360 will be the exclusive format for two major DLC releases that Take 2 will spend multiple millions to market, as Sam Houser strongly implies in the recent Edge interview, what then happens next beyond patches for the PS3 edition and the eventual Windows release DLC-wise? Is it likely that the DLC, given its high cost of production and marketing, are the next installments for the series or is there more GTA in the pipeline that simply hasn't been revealed yet?

MightyHedgehog said:
or is there more GTA in the pipeline that simply hasn't been revealed yet?

I think we may see a full fledged sequel towards the end of 2009.
VC was released only a year after III. I don't think it's out of the question to see a follow up to IV, 18 months after release.

Mrbob

MightyHedgehog said:
Sooo, I'm just thinking here about when to expect the next GTA release after IV. Since X360 will be the exclusive format for two major DLC releases that Take 2 will spend multiple millions to market, as Sam Houser strongly implies in the recent Edge interview, what then happens next beyond patches for the PS3 edition and the eventual Windows release DLC-wise? Is it likely that the DLC, given its high cost of production and marketing, are the next installments for the series or is there more GTA in the pipeline that simply hasn't been revealed yet?

Reading Houser's comments in the previous EGM, I'm starting to think the next big GTA will be a MMO game.

Death Dealer said:
I think we may see a full fledged sequel towards the end of 2009.
VC was released only a year after III. I don't think it's out of the question to see a follow up to IV, 18 months after release.
It seems very possible if we assume that most of the hard work was just getting the software side of things firmed up. If it's an entirely 'new' city the size and complexity of IV added to the expected addition of new content specific to the story and characters of the new game, I wonder if they can deliver such a thing in such a short period of time. Of course, they did do this with VC and SA... Just seems like we won't see such a short turnaround given the new complexity, but who knows...

MrBob said:
Reading Houser's comments in the previous EGM, I'm starting to think the next big GTA will be a MMO game.
That sounds like something that could be a couple years down the road...but I guess Rockstar is pretty good at surprising people as they have.

Cdammen said:
The hype-o-meter is off the scale for me after reading PLAY's GTAIV article :O
This will make the second consecutive month I buy PLAY (last month for Mirror's Edge). Maybe I should just subscribe.

MightyHedgehog said:
Just seems like we won't see such a short turnaround given the new complexity, but who knows...

Anything is possible if they hire enough people. Work could begin before IV is finished.
Several hundred content developers toiling away, create a lot in 1.5-2 years. Maybe we'll hear something about the sequel by the end of this year. I really hope they're not making an MMO in lieu of a proper sequel. But it's too early to worry about. GTA4 is shaping up to be better than I could imagine.

w10

newsguy said:
The post you quoted is talking strictly about performance, this thread is moving so smooth right now, let's not devolve again.

ummmm. no.

the post was a response to someone inquiring as to which system to get the game for. maybe they ASKED about performance, but given that performance shouldnt be too different on the the different platforms, the DLC is a pretty important piece of info for someone who owns both consoles....no?

i know we're so used to the fanboy console wars we get defensive, but there ARE differences, and in this case, there is a relevant difference.

dejay

Banned
w10 said:
ummmm. no.

the post was a response to someone inquiring as to which system to get the game for. maybe they ASKED about performance, but given that performance shouldnt be too different on the the different platforms, the DLC is a pretty important piece of info for someone who owns both consoles....no?

i know we're so used to the fanboy console wars we get defensive, but there ARE differences, and in this case, there is a relevant difference.

I don't know if you've seen some of the bannings handed down in this thread from Bish, but there have been over 10 and they're mostly related to people talking about DLC.

Tread carefully. (edit) See posts 2222 and 3350 for examples of his great vengeance and furious anger.

Dead Man

That's it. I never thought I would worry about spoilers for a game, but this has done it. I haven't read anything since the pigeon thing, and I don't want to know. I want to explore this game without knowing exactly what to expect, and I want to discover the characters and stories myself. Nothing against information, or those who want to know it all. I just want that sense of the unknown that was with me for 3 and Vice City.

So enjoy the ride guys, and I'll see you on the other side.

dejay

Banned
idahoblue said:
That's it. I never thought I would worry about spoilers for a game, but this has done it. I haven't read anything since the pigeon thing, and I don't want to know. I want to explore this game without knowing exactly what to expect, and I want to discover the characters and stories myself. Nothing against information, or those who want to know it all. I just want that sense of the unknown that was with me for 3 and Vice City.

So enjoy the ride guys, and I'll see you on the other side.

So you don't want to know about the lubricated goat mini-game?

I just flipped through the latest Penthouse magazine and found a GTA4 review. Apparently they gave it 5 stars and it's the game of the month. However, there's absolutely no new information within it. The only quotable part of the 1 page review goes as follows:

But we think you'll be equally enthused about the improved controls, including the new features to aim at and shoot the car in front of you while driving - very important.

Thanks penthouse. You're supposed to prevent me from getting blue balls.

GrayFoxPL

Am I an ass if I eagerly await first threads like: "Omg, gta4 really sucks!!!1", "They've ruined GTA with [inert reason]!" or atleast "Anyone else dissapointed/not really feeling it ?"

?

C'mon You know they'll show up sooner or later :D.

Yoboman said:
What tradition are you talking about?

Rockstar like to keep the fine details of their games under wraps because they prefer people to discover things for themselves when they get the game and because they have enough marketing power to follow this policy.

It also works. The rabid excitement of a new GTA release is palpably stronger than most games because people just don't know what to expect.

Sam Houser talks quite a bit about it in the mammoth Edge interview, particularly his wish for GTA to be regarded almost as a film franchise, that GTA is a film you play. Hence cinematic trailers that resemble film trailers.

We might get a few strategically leaked details before release, otherwise I think we've seen all we're going to of GTA4's multiplayer until we boot the game.

X26

Banned
I wonder if there will be any options to toggle HUD elements off/on

After palying Assassins Creed with all the hud stuff off it was 10x. would be nice to have the same kind of options in GTA4, can't imagine it would be hard to implement

RumFore said:
Well a console GTA has never had multiplayer before so I wouldn't be so definite in that assumption.

I don't think anyone has pointed out in reply to this that San Andreas had a multiplayer mode.

if by preview you mean trailer, then no that hasn't happened. But there have been numerous hands-on previews in various magazines and sites. check the first post for all the sweet, sweet info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom