• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Kibbles said:
GameTrailers's Bonus Round is all about GTAIV. Here's Part 1 - http://www.gametrailers.com/bonusround.php?ep=20&pt=1

Hm, Pachter's reaction to the drunk driving was a bit odd. He didn't really explain the point enough, on how that new element is any more immoral than shooting someone.

It sounds like maybe drunk driving has touched his own life in some way and he takes offense to the very idea of it. I wonder if he will change his mind once he plays it, and finds how difficult it is to walk/steer. Those who play tested that scene go so far as to say it is even cautionary about drunk driving.

Wollan

I think he relates to it in that you may actually get tempted to 'experiment' with drunken driving (ecspecially as those particular missions supposedly have a hilarious tone to them).
None of us will be tempted to shot people's heads off.

I understand some idiots could try it in real life. But as Pete said, you murder people in this game. It's hard to get upset over drunk driving when you can just go on murder sprees.

I didn't really think the drunk driving would be a big deal, but after hearing that maybe it will be. I figured most of the controversy surrounding this game was that it looked more realistic and is clearly based on NY.

FightyF

Banned
Goreomedy said:
Hm, Pachter's reaction to the drunk driving was a bit odd. He didn't really explain the point enough, on how that new element is any more immoral than shooting someone.

It sounds like maybe drunk driving has touched his own life in some way and he takes offense to the very idea of it. I wonder if he will change his mind once he plays it, and finds how difficult it is to walk/steer. Those who play tested that scene go so far as to say it is even cautionary about drunk driving.

For the record I agree with Pachter. I've had 2 friends die due to drunk driving.

But I do agree that videogames can be used as a tool to help educate people on the ills of drunk driving.

At the University of Calgary there is one effort that ties in videogames with drunk driving education:

http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/uofcpublications/BTC/shyba

Over the course of her PhD work, Shyba has worked with Calgary organizations to help
solve real-world problems through fun and interesting games. For example, “The Booze
Cruise: A Driving Game with a Serious Drinking Problem” was developed in conjunction
with the Calgary Police Service to allow people to experience the effects of driving drunk.
The scoring system was written so you get demerits for making bad choices – like failing
to stop at the checkstop. It’s entertainment that conveys real-life consequences in an
effort to change real-life behaviour.

But if there is indeed a drunk driving mini-game that challenges gamers to drive drunk and reach certain levels of success with it, I'm totally against that idea. Any concept of "rewarding" gamers who can successfully drive drunk...is really, really stupid.

You can compare the "ethics" of killing civilians in a videogame, with drunk driving. But does GTA really reward you for killing innocent people?

Tr4nce

X26 said:
I wonder if there will be any options to toggle HUD elements off/on

After palying Assassins Creed with all the hud stuff off it was 10x. would be nice to have the same kind of options in GTA4, can't imagine it would be hard to implement

Well, GTA San Andreas had the option to turn off the HUD, but I'm not too sure about Vice City. I think that players will be able to switch off the HUD in GTA IV.

newsguy

Great, part 2 of the GT show is about how GTA will affect the "war" :/

Just get rid of Pachter and comic book guy from the Simpsons and let Keighley and the Gamepro guy talk in-depth about what they experienced when they played the game.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Damn! "Rockets skipping off the ground" sounds like a fuckin' megaton to me. That's insane.

*dzing*
*BOOOOMMM!!!*

They talked about that on EGM's podcast. They said that whenever you shoot a rocket it'll sort of skim onto the ground and then speed off in the area you aimed in. So as they it's probably not a good idea to try to lay down and shoot one. :p

SolidSnakex said:
They talked about that on EGM's podcast. They said that whenever you shoot a rocket it'll sort of skim onto the ground and then speed off in the direction you aimed in. So as they it's probably not a good idea to try to lay down and shoot one. :p

:lol

Probably not, no.

I missed that, sadly. It kind of just adds another detail to all these immersion factors that, when put together into one gaming experience just seems like it will be unmanageably awesome.

newsguy

Yeah rockets have been retooled. They're not pinpoint accurate any longer, and if you shoot one straight a previewer said it's like when you skip a rock off of water. They spiral too, so sometimes you can miss your target (this to me is awesome since online rocketwhores won't get instakills).

dork

Banned
:lol :lol

That video is great, im glad to hear the guy say "epic firefights"

That other guy just made me laugh so hard "fuck it were gonna do it anyway" HAHAHA

The new Xbox World 360 magazine will have a 17 page blow out on the multiplayer mode in their next issue. They've also done a podcast where they talk about it, the discussion begins around 49 minutes in.. I just listened to it and here's some of the highlights

- They love the multiplayer mode. They talk about how in other games you're able to forgive it for having a poor multiplayer mode because it might have an amazing single player mode. But then you see GTA4 and it has as big of a single player mode as those games and an amazing multiplayer mode to go along with it.

- They say it's one of the best looking games on the 360. The lighting is what makes it according to them. They go on to talk about how games like Oblivion are hurt visually because of it'll chug sometimes and how something like Gears is really beautiful but it's very linear. But GTA4 has the size of Oblivion and the beauty of Gears.

- The framerate is really smooth. They mentioned the only time it started to chug is when 4-8 of them were shooting rocket launchers at a gas station to make it blow up.

- It's mentioned that at any time you can just pull out your phone and jump into a game.

- One of them mentions how he's always felt that the series has been a "jack of all trades, master of none" type game, and now it's a master of them all.

- The combat is amazing. They said it feels like Resident Evil 4.

- The driving is really good although it's harder than any of the previous versions. They mention that if an actual racing game used its driving model you'd be happy with it.

- They'll be leaving next week to review it.

http://mos.futurenet.com/video/xboxworld360/podcast/XBWPodcastNo13.mp3

chubigans said:
Uh...can't say I agree with that at allll. But, I haven't played it so what do I know. :p

When they start talking about the graphics they first mention how on hardcore gaming message boards you see people talking about how it doesn't really look that good. :p

Socreges

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The new Xbox World 360 magazine will have a 17 page blow out on the multiplayer mode in their next issue. They've also done a podcast where they talk about it. I just listened to it and here's some of the highlights

- They love the multiplayer mode. They talk about how in other games you're able to forgive it for having a poor multiplayer mode because it might have an amazing single player mode. But then you see GTA4 and it has as big of a single player mode as those games and an amazing multiplayer mode to go along with it.

- They say it's one of the best looking games on the 360. The lighting is what makes it according to them. They go on to talk about how games like Oblivion are hurt visually because of it'll chug sometimes and how something like Gears is really beautiful but it's very linear. But GTA4 has the size of Oblivion and the beauty of Gears.

- The framerate is really smooth. They mentioned the only time it started to chug is when about 8 of them were shooting rocket launchers at a gas station to make it blow up.

- It's mentioned that at any time you can just pull out your phone and jump into a game.

- One of them mentions how he's always felt that the series has been a "jack of all trades, master of none" type game, and now it's a master of them all.

- The driving is really good although it's harder than any of the previous versions. They mention that if an actual racing game used its driving model you'd be happy with it.

Thanks, SSX.

I can't be the only one here legitimately afraid for my social life. Or school. My Summer semester begins about a week after GTAIV is released.

God help me.

Ranger X

SolidSnakex said:

Shiiiit. This comment makes me drool!

newsguy

Nice Snake, I just heard it and these guys really liked the graphics. The only time the framerate chugged was in multi, with alot of cops chasing, everyone shooting rockets, and a gas station blowing up :lol

newsguy said:
Nice Snake, I just heard it and these guys really liked the graphics. The only time the framerate chugged was in multi, with alot of cops chasing, everyone shooting rockets, and a gas station blowing up :lol

If that's true then my one and only worry about the game has been resolved.

SolidSnakex said:

People may well track me down and kill me for this but does anyone else really not like the speed of RE4's combat?

Edit- should I say lack of speed?

Brianemone said:
People may well track me down and kill me for this but does anyone else really not like the speed of RE4's combat?

Edit- should I say lack of speed?

The only issue I had with it was that you couldn't move and shoot at the same time.

Wollan

GTA4 is a P2P game right? I think it will be interesting to see how it fares latency wise. While I'm expecting obvious slowdowns from massive scenes with a lot going on, the thing I'm most worried about is that the game may be a slight bitch in regards to connections. Probably requires quite a bit more data than usual to be sent between players.

kenta

Has no PEINS
aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh I wish I could get confirmation of X axis inversion, this is so frustrating. Rockstar understandably won't respond to me since they've probably got a bajillion other 14-year olds asking about how many hookers you can kill, but man it's worrying.

If anyone that knows for sure about X/Y inversion in the game could please PM me it would be really appreciated :(

bathala said:
the new driving mechanics might have come from the new Midnight Club: LA

I highly doubt that. Midnight club would come out feeling stale. Midnight club has always been about the "90* turn at 100mph LOL" type control

GTA has always been about the "shit, shit losing control, *BANG*crowd of pedestrians" type control.

sharing driving physics would either make GTA feel fast and tight or make midnight club feel slow and loose.

bathala

Banned
SIP YEK NOD said:
I highly doubt that. Midnight club would come out feeling stale. Midnight club has always been about the "90* turn at 100mph LOL" type control

GTA has always been about the "shit, shit losing control, *BANG*crowd of pedestrians" type control.

sharing driving physics would either make GTA feel fast and tight or make midnight club feel slow and loose.

i remember reading somewhere that Rockstar games will be in one universe. I'm wondering if this implies only to Rage or maybe game mechanics too

I'm eager to test out the driving model.I wonder if they'll have those old taxis, you know the one with super soft suspenion in the older GTA games,they were a joy to drive.
I'm glad the framerate is still solid.They mentioned it only going down when a bunch of em were firing rockets at the gas station.Remember in Saints Row, the game went to a crawl when you blew up the petrol stations..glad that's not the case here.

Burger

kenta said:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh I wish I could get confirmation of X axis inversion, this is so frustrating. Rockstar understandably won't respond to me since they've probably got a bajillion other 14-year olds asking about how many hookers you can kill, but man it's worrying.

If anyone that knows for sure about X/Y inversion in the game could please PM me it would be really appreciated :(

X axis ? So you push left and turn right ? Do you like your games harder or something ?

X26

Banned
Has it been mentioned yet how you'll be bale to find/join games? I'm jsut hoping it won't be an invite only setup

FightyF

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The new Xbox World 360 magazine will have a 17 page blow out on the multiplayer mode in their next issue. They've also done a podcast where they talk about it, the discussion begins around 49 minutes in.. I just listened to it and here's some of the highlights

- The framerate is really smooth. They mentioned the only time it started to chug is when 4-8 of them were shooting rocket launchers at a gas station to make it blow up.

5n3r51.gif

Yeah, you can tell in the vids that the physics for the vehicles are far more realistic, so it probably does drive like a racer, moreso than past games.

I also think they're hinting at the possibility that unlike previous GTA games, acceleration isn't as quick, and you can't hit your top speed in a matter of a dozen seconds. Again, like The Getaway.

X26

Banned
FightyF said:
Yeah, you can tell in the vids that the physics for the vehicles are far more realistic, so it probably does drive like a racer, moreso than past games.

I also think they're hinting at the possibility that unlike previous GTA games, acceleration isn't as quick, and you can't hit your top speed in a matter of a dozen seconds. Again, like The Getaway.

I like that if the car isn't running when you get in, it will actually take a few seconds to get the engine going (ala Burnout Paradise, and well, real-life)

Goreomedy said:

I think his argument is more about the fact that drunk driving is a less obvious mark on society than murder. Murder is pretty much understood to be an obvious no-no by everyone but there are still a lot of people who think it's OK to drive while intoxicated (And Hell, a lot of them get away with it many times before they actually hurt someone).

I don't really agree with the idea that it shouldn't be in the game but I can see where he is coming from with it.

Frenck

Banned

That means that the game has unresponsible controls, shitty aiming and enemies as slow and as dumb as snails, right?

What a shitty comparison.

X26

Banned
Frenck said:
That means that the game has unresponsible controls, shitty aiming and enemies as slow and as dumb as snails, right?

What a shitty comparison.

Probably just meant the perspective

We already know it's faster paced, there's a cover system, and Niko has a wider range of movement than a WW2 era tank

ascii42

Burger said:
X axis ? So you push left and turn right ? Do you like your games harder or something ?
A lot of 3rd person games have camera controls like that, actually. I usually can get used to that though.

I've been disappointed in the past, so I'm trying my hardest not to believe the hype...but it seems everyone is proclaiming GTAIV to be the second coming!

omg.jpg

newsguy

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Unresponsible controls?

He meant irresponsible. The do whatever they want with no regard for authority. Rebels without a cause if you will. Those kooky controls, what will they do next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom