• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
besiktas1 said:
[ACCOUNT SUSPENDED PLEASE ADD $2 TO POST]

Edit:
ooops sorry how embarassing, :/ I've credited $10 to my EA account.

P.S.
When the fuck did this happen? (TOP LEFT?!)
zv78z.jpg

captain-jack-sparrow.jpg

What's that I see next to adventure games

Ohhh aye.

newsguy

"Somebody's telling me... that about my wife... I sorry sir but I gonna break your leg."

EDIT: :lol beaten like a poor sap at a bar.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Opus Angelorum said:
To be fair to him, a lot of those techniques I've learnt in Muay Thai. Very effective.

Anyone hypothetically hating on Bas's street fighting techniques has probably taken one too many bar stools to the head. Besides his MMA credentials (UFC heavyweight champ, King of Pancrase, and a trainer for top fighters) he has a very serious rep when it comes to barroom brawls and street fights.

It is a hilarious video though. Bas is awesome.

SolidSnakex said:
Some more info from the Xbox World 360 magazine

- You'll be able to take photos and upload them to share with people.
- There's a bunch of references to Crackdown in it.
- If you rob a bank or murder someone people will find out about it by news tickers around the city. The news tickers will also give your description.
- They point out how there are little graphical details that are really nice. Specifically how in one screenshot you can see that one driver is checking his rear view, another is looking forward and another is looking out the side of his window.
- Videogeddon arcade has a bunch of tongue-in-cheek games as well as posters that reference people that bash games.
- It's twice the size of Vice City.
- Peds will call the cops on you if they see you attacking people on the street.
- They talk about how you can go to the top floor of the Empire State building and you won't see any pop up.
- Niko's hand to hand combat comes from Bas Rutten.

Mrbob said:
That's what I'm saying.

Rockstar starts dissing crackdown it is on.

I love how people are getting so defensive when they just mentioned in that article that mentions of Crackdown are in the game. Im a fan of Crackdown myself but who cares if they do infact poke fun at it.

newsguy

gnarkill bill said:
I love how people are getting so defensive when they just mentioned in that article that mentions of Crackdown are in the game. Im a fan of Crackdown myself but who cares if they do infact poke fun at it.

Did David Jones (Crackdown creator) split from R* with animosity?

Fusebox

Banned
EviLore said:
Anyone hypothetically hating on Bas's street fighting techniques has probably taken one too many bar stools to the head...

Can't believe you're all discussing such old videos but yeah, this. Bas is one genuinely hard bastard.

gnarkill bill said:

I agree. Crackdown was one of my favourite games from last year.

Crackdown and GTA are so vastly different (gameplay wise) they could almost be considered different genres

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
When I get this game, I think I'm just going to go into the Steinway Beer Garden in the game and just drink all day, all the time.

Anyone who cares to join me, feel free.

Domino Theory said:
When I get this game, I think I'm just going to go into the Steinway Beer Garden in the game and just drink all day, all the time.

Anyone who cares to join me, feel free.

achievement unlocked

dejay

Banned
Yoboman said:
Do we know much about if you can enter buildings in this one?

Obviously not all buildings but yes, with no load times either. Also you can see into and out of the windows now.

guidop

My hype has gone throw the roof in recent days this game is going to rule my life. All the cool new details that have been revealed in the last couple of weeks sound so delicious.

April 29th bitches - The day the world ends has been my msn tag for a little while now

Aurelius

I’m thinking about buying a PS3 to play GTAIV. I know that the 360 version as extra content, but the PS3 is much more reliable than my launch 360. I’ve been playing Lost Odyssey and I am getting so fed up with disk read errors. They are not that frequent. But when you’ve been playing for one hours without saving. One is all it takes to hurl the controller across the room.

I really don’t want that to happen with GTAIV. If I have to choose between extra content and reliability, the choice is easy to make.

Aurelius said:
I’m thinking about buying a PS3 to play GTAIV. I know that the 360 version as extra content, but the PS3 is much more reliable than my launch 360. I’ve been playing Lost Odyssey and I am getting so fed up with disk read errors. They are not that frequent. But when you’ve been playing for one hours without saving. One is all it takes to hurl the controller across the room.
Why don't you get it fixed?

guidop said:
My hype has gone throw the roof in recent days this game is going to rule my life. All the cool new details that have been revealed in the last couple of weeks sound so delicious.

April 29th bitches - The day the world ends has been my msn tag for a little while now

A few days before finals...awesome :lol

guidop

Aurelius said:

I really don’t want that to happen with GTAIV. If I have to choose between extra content and reliability, the choice is easy to make.

You could always buy the 360 version later when the DLC is released.

is the ps3 version getting anything special? ive pre-ordered the LE for the 360 primarily for the dlc, but the 360 hw is so damn loud and shitty im thinking of switching to the ps3 version. the 360 controller and achievements tho is driving me to stick with the 360 version but man is the console a POS

Aurelius

guidop said:
You could always buy the 360 version later when the DLC is released.
That was what I was thinking. Also, maybe the exclusive content will turn out to be a timed exclusive. Also, finishing the regular game usually takes me so much time, that afterward I want to play something else. And MGS4 already comes out in June.

Aurelius

Psychotext said:
That's fair enough... but a console that's giving you disk read errors is still broken, just in a different way to normal.
Well, if disk read errors fall under the warranty, and are a valid reason to send my 360 to Microsoft for repairs, I could do that and have it back before the release of Ninja Gaiden 2.

Aurelius said:
Well, if disk read errors fall under the warranty, and are a valid reason to send my 360 to Microsoft for repairs, I could do that and have it back before the release of Ninja Gaiden 2.
You wouldn't be the first person to get it done (lots of them in the my 360 died thread). If it's just Lost Odyssey doing it, then it's probably the discs.

Xemu

I hope you enjoyed your little rebellion, irritant. But remember, what SHODAN gives she is more than able to take away.
Heh, that Burger Shot comparison set is pretty neat.

Seeing the SA shot does remind me how much I loved having hills and a wider terrain vista in the background. The huge world of SA was such a draw, that's my only minor concern about GTA IV.

I think I may just become a GTA-playing hermit if they ever give the GTA IV style treatment to San Andreas...

T-2 days to final trailer...

Got to looking at this
crash.gif

Was wondering, do you think thats realtime deformation on the car when it crushes, or do you think its precanned for the scene?

newsguy

Judging from that beam he fell off of, that's the mission that's in all of the first round of previews. The way it's described is that there's a bunch of enemies on a construction site and you have to snipe them all. This particular scene was described and that's not a cutscene. Apparently, when you take guys out in style, the camera view changes to a closeup or a shot showing what happens to the guy's body. In the previews, this guy fell on the car most of the time, but there were a couple of times that he fell next to the car and never even touched it.

From Kikizo:

The lookouts, who are located high up on different cranes in our line of sight, fall down a long way to their death. One of them we don't actually kill with a bullet but the shot makes him fall off and then he's a goner. A cinematic camera follows him on his descent to doom, before refocusing on Niko.

I noticed something else as well, hes not ragdolling like a crackhead, hes just kind of limp it looks like as he falls, I find that fascinatingly realistic. God bless euphoria.

newsguy

Yep, odds are that was a (BOOM) headshot. The only time you'll see people flailing for their lives in Euphoria is when you haven't killed them. Once they're dead they look like a lifeless corpse, which as you see is eerily realistic.

EDIT: Even more amazing is if that guy had been shot in the leg, he would have stumbled and hung on to that beam for dear life. Once gravity ran it's course he would have flailed to his death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom