• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto - The Trilogy Remastered leaked & trailer coming soon?

Hudo

I love how stuff leaks from R*, sometimes years before the game releases, and still nobody really knows what the hell is going on. These types of leaks are probably my favorite (no sarcasm).

Last edited:

matty3092

I would really love this to be true hell ill even take the mobile ports of 3 and VC (SA is BC on XSX) but I highly doubt this tbh what other stuff have these "leakers" leaked?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
They need to do a lot to these remakes. Were watching CallMeKevin playing gta vice City the other day, and the game really hasn't aged well.

Ceadeus

What a cool coincidence, yesterday I was literally looking for the original trilogy package for the OG Xbox. It's going to be a blast going through these classic again on the original system.

The graphical upgrade from PS2 to Xbox also looks quite stunning. The characters all have fingers instead of miten hands lol..

Last edited:

GriffinCorp

What a cool coincidence, yesterday I was literally looking for the original trilogy package for the OG Xbox. It's going to be a blast going through these classic again on the original system.

The graphical upgrade from PS2 to Xbox also looks quite stunning. The characters all have fingers instead of miten hands lol..

I always liked the rain effect that hit your screen and you were driving around. OG Xbox version was excellent. I wished it made it on the Xbox BC program.

waquzy

I can’t see this happening, especially when Rockstar is about to drop the next gen GTA V later this year.

I sing the praises of the Steam Guides for each game, because they have curated patch packs like Definitive Edition that make the PC versions exactly what the name suggests.

True widescreen/resolution
60fps
Modern controller (Xinput)
Everything from the console versions
Removed tracks (no license casualties here)

Just download one file, drag and drop, and play. The series I used also has Manhunt and Bully patches too, so you can enjoy the whole range of PS2 universe games.
This is what I would imagine they would be if Rockstar were to "remaster" them for consoles. Respecting the original source artwork, retexturing some assets to a contemporary standard and modernising the controls & voila.

They don't need much more than that, timeless classics.

TLZ

Banned
But we already have the trilogy on PS4. We can just play those on PS5 through BC.

Remake or gtfo.

Concern

Can tell all the significant people are gone. R* is just looking for cash grabs like another gta o port and now this. Really disappointing

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
"Modernise the controls"

I'll give people the benefit of the doubt in that they don't know how game development works, but this needs to be put to bed, because it comes up all the time.

You can't just slap GTA V's cover system into a 2001-2004 PS2 game and call it a day, the game is not designed for it. Assuming it's even technically possible to go back into that source code and edit it in such a way, there aren't chest-high walls laid out everywhere like they are in modern titles. Just add third person aiming you say? They already did, over a decade ago, in the PC ports, and it breaks them to the point of being hilariously easy. The games were built around the PS2 where you would hold down one button to aim at a person and press another to shoot. That's it. They're arcade games. They were ported to PC and Rockstar didn't really give a fuck that San Andreas basically became a point and click game where you would headshot snipe people with an AK from half a street away. At least people could play it, but it feels like a very different game if you've ever actually taken the time to play both versions through.

They also can't just go in and "add modern physics and handling" to the cars, again, the game isn't designed around it. Assuming it was even possible, every single ramp in each game that is supposed to be jumped would need to be checked and rebalanced to make sure it still works as intended with the new physics. Every single race would need to be checked and potentially reworked, the AI would need to be reworked to take advantage of the new handling, everything with a vehicle sequence would need to be re-scripted.

At this point, you're starting to talk about a full remake. It would be easier to recreate each game from scratch in a new engine, and again, you then come to the point where the fundamental design is incompatible and completely outdated, you're talking about requiring a full on Resident Evil 2 level remake, and each game in the trilogy is significantly grander in scope. It's never, ever going to happen.

Just go and play the originals on PC. They're janky, because they're ~20 year old games at this point, but they're still perfectly playable for the nostalgia hit you're looking for. Also, this rumour is complete bullshit anyway, stop taking it as gospel.

Skifi28

"Modernise the controls"

I'll give people the benefit of the doubt in that they don't know how game development works, but this needs to be put to bed, because it comes up all the time.

Jesus, talk about overthinking this. Modernize the controls does not mean cover system or new physics. Being able to use the right stick in 3 and vc to control the camera instead of going first person would be both nice and easy to implement. Overhauling aiming to bring it closer to SA would also be required.

Last edited:

Rudius

Where is the GTA IV love. I would do anything to see a reimagined liberty city with Niko again. The story was amaz, but the world just wasn't fleshed out enough
That one still looks good and a well done remaster would be enough: 60fps, more natural colors, better controls, perhaps some ray-tracing. The base graphics could remain the same.

The PS2 ones look very rough today and would need to be remade. I don't think it would be super expensive, since those games are small by today standards, specially 3 and Vice City. Full remakes would sell very well.

Soodanim

Gold Member
This is what I would imagine they would be if Rockstar were to "remaster" them for consoles. Respecting the original source artwork, retexturing some assets to a contemporary standard and modernising the controls & voila.

They don't need much more than that, timeless classics.
Unfortunately they might do some gameplay enhancements if you’re really lucky, but the chances are the changes would be visual/rendering based and you wouldn’t see the expensive songs relicensed. So no more Billie Jean the first time you get in a car in VC

TVexperto

another month another dumb fake rumor

so according to the last few months:;

full RDR remake
full GTA 4 remake
and now a full gta trilogy remake coming?

yeah right lol

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Jesus, talk about overthinking this. Modernize the controls does not mean cover system or new physics. Being able to use the right stick in 3 and vc to control the camera instead of going first person would be both nice and easy to implement. Overhauling aiming to bring it closer to SA would also be required.

Adding camera movement to the right stick alone is not "modernising the controls", nor is bringing 2001 and 2002 games up to the standard of a 2004 game. The San Andreas PS2 aiming is barely any different at all, I think they added a tilt to aim at the head, it's not remotely "overhauled". When people say modernise, even if they don't mean cover and physics, they're at least talking about scrapping the archaic arcade lock-on and making it feel like a video game made in 2021 where you can actually move, aim and shoot at the same time... which you can already do, in the PC versions. For certain weapons, anyway.

But if you actually read the thread, some people are talking about "modern controls" like RDR2, which you can't just jam into old PS2 games without doing what I described. I read it several times a year. "Just put VC into the V engine!" like it wouldn't completely change and break the game fundamentally. It doesn't work. Edit: two minutes after I post this and there's another post calling to "redo" the controls. See? They aren't talking about a camera on the right stick.

What you're describing is just the PC versions of these games ported to console, not what I'm talking about. That would be a piece of piss, but it won't happen, because why would they go to that effort when the consoles versions are already available on PS5 and XSX..?

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I’d be shocked with full remakes when they can just do shitty mobile ports like they did with San Andreas last gen.

The ps2 classic versions on ps4 were okay enough and on sale frequently. I’d probably buy a GTA4 port though.

stn

A remake would be amazing - especially if they redo the controls. Hoping for that but ready to be disappointed, lol.

Even a modest update to the games just so they work properly without fan made patches on PC would be nice.

Also ports of the often forgotten PS2/PSP expansions Liberty/Vice City Stories would be cool to see.

Never played these when I was younger, aside from just trying to get 5 stars while creating mayhem at friends houses... so I'd be willing to give them a shot assuming they're FULL remasters built on a new engine.

HotPocket69

Banned
Wow mad much?

These games are still playable. If you need your hand held just use cheats. Noone will care.

Ain’t mad 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dude I recently ran through San Andreas over the Summer and believe me aside from the masterpiece soundtrack and voice acting, 80% of that game is a pain in the fucking ass to play 16 years later. No one likes driving that fucking gas tanker for psycho Jennifer Lopez, no one likes doing the race(s) for Wu Zi, no one likes the thank christ they’re optional Zero missions, no one likes completing flight school...

I don’t cheat in GTAs. Never have. Never will.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Christ here we go with this bullshit.

Change your username to RyuBeingAReductionistRetard

tenor.gif

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Mobile ports incoming

Already did that 10 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Ain’t mad 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dude I recently ran through San Andreas over the Summer and believe me aside from the masterpiece soundtrack and voice acting, 80% of that game is a pain in the fucking ass to play 16 years later. No one likes driving that fucking gas tanker for psycho Jennifer Lopez, no one likes doing the race(s) for Wu Zi, no one likes the thank christ they’re optional Zero missions, no one likes completing flight school...

I don’t cheat in GTAs. Never have. Never will.
For balance, I did all the trilogy within the last 6 months and I didn’t find any of what you described to be particularly painful outside of your standard challenge from a mission in a game. Even the Zero missions and all golds in flight school, even if I did fail a couple of times on both. I actually found driving school more of a pain because of the precise stops required, so they took more retries. They certainly lack the modern “Skip this, I’ve done it before” option newer ones have, but I didn’t find it to be too egregious.

I’d take any of that over stealing a slow submarine and fighting the urge to fall asleep in 5.

The button layout on your controller. Play GTA III and then play GTA V, you'll know what I mean very quick.
The mods for PC offer PS2 or Xbox controls, and I found PS2 to be a better layout with how the rest of the buttons are mapped. You could always use Steam Input to try a new layout, but I don’t find it to be worth it personally. They’re just as playable now going back.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
For balance, I did all the trilogy within the last 6 months and I didn’t find any of what you described to be particularly painful outside of your standard challenge from a mission in a game. Even the Zero missions and all golds in flight school, even if I did fail a couple of times on both. I actually found driving school more of a pain because of the precise stops required, so they took more retries. They certainly lack the modern “Skip this, I’ve done it before” option newer ones have, but I didn’t find it to be too egregious.

I’d take any of that over stealing a slow submarine and fighting the urge to fall asleep in 5.

Half the missions in 5 were total groaners.

Kerotan

After platinuming GTA 3 and Vice City recently they'd want to be full on remakes to play again. I doubt it though but would be awesome. At least it would mean GTA IV wouldn't be far off a remaster.

Who cares? Rockstar lost the licenses to half the music and is obsessed with basing all future versions on the dogshit mobile ports. The PC versions with SilentPatch, SkyGFX and the widescreen fix are the way to go.

Hope it's true, would love to play GTA III with modern controls.
GInput exists.

Top Bottom