• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto The Trilogy: The Definitive Edition announced, all consoles and PC in 2021 and mobile in 2022

Javthusiast

Banned
52a49378600e7.jpeg

Obligatory. Some of the most frustrating controls...ever.

Funny enough I got so good with a keyboard on that mission I would breeze through it without any difficulty on every single playthrough.

Sounds like a minimum effort re-release. It's coming to mobile ffs.

If it was a dark souls like remake I'd be interested but this? I can boot up my ps2 any time, why would I waste my money?

Yea, converting to new engine instead of just bumping up resolution and framerate on the old engine - minimum effort..

Like saying: "It's coming to Switch ffs" - since almost every mid-tier smartphone for the last two years are rocking better hardware than Switch, lol.
They have already set the bar of modern GTA games with gta5 and red dead, games that are years (generations?) Old at this point. So yeah anything below that would be minimum effort surely ?

Forgot to mention switch but yeah that says it all, mobile and switch launch. Does that usually spur you to expect greatness ?

8BiTw0LF

Banned
They have already set the bar of modern GTA games with gta5 and red dead, games that are years (generations?) Old at this point. So yeah anything below that would be minimum effort surely ?
No matter how you twist it - changing engine is not minimum effort.
Forgot to mention switch but yeah that says it all, mobile and switch launch. Does that usually spur you to expect greatness ?
Doom and Witcher 3 runs on Switch - pretty good actually, considered the low end hardware. UE4 is probably the easiest engine to scale games in - that's why we get mobile versions all the way up to new-gen versions - and it will be easy to see the differences between them.

No matter how you twist it - changing engine is not minimum effort.

Doom and Witcher 3 runs on Switch - pretty good actually, considered the low end hardware. UE4 is probably the easiest engine to scale games in - that's why we get mobile versions all the way up to new-gen versions - and it will be easy to see the differences between them.
Not twisting anything. They set the standards of expectations, not you. So compared with thier 2 most recent projects one of which is 2 generations old at this point this, this is minimum effort. At the very least very low effort.

Yes UE4 is very scalable, that's why it was used to cast the largest possible net. You'll note that gtaV does NOT run on switch. Yeah the switch is the worst place to play doom and the witcher, awesome.....

Any way you try and twist it - this trilogy will not be of the same quality as a game 2 generations old. Cant see how people can get excited for that personally but to each thier own.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I remember dark souls being a basic remaster with a resolution/fps bump and minor lighting changes.
It was rebuilt from the ground up using old code. It's the absolute peak example of a maximum effort remake and sets the standard for what an old gen game should look/play like when rebuilt with modern tech.

It wouldn't even run on switch or mobile.

Skifi28

It was rebuilt from the ground up using old code. It's the absolute peak example of a maximum effort remake and sets the standard for what an old gen game should look/play like when rebuilt with modern tech.

It wouldn't even run on switch or mobile.
I'm not even sure we're talking about the same game. It looks and plays almost identical, just at a higher res/fps.

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
They're being delisted from Steam.

If they're delisted from Steam then they'll come to Steam eventually. No matter how hard they want to push for their crap platforms, no publishers especially major one can do without being on Steam eventually.

They'll probably do something like Rockstar platform > ESG > Steam

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Any way you try and twist it - this trilogy will not be of the same quality as a game 2 generations old. Cant see how people can get excited for that personally but to each thier own.
I'm not the one setting the bar here. "across-the-board upgrades including graphical improvements and modern gameplay enhancements" - "the classic look and feel" - this is what R* says about it.
I, for one, wants to play these classic games, with the look and feel of the originals - they shouldn't be GTA:V or RDR2. I love the cartoony feel of the originals and look forward to the gameplay enhancements.
If you're fine with the PS2 versions running in 480p/30fps - good on you. I'm itching to play these games on a nice new screen in 4K/60fps.

gta-rockstar-trilogy-remaster-leaked.jpg

I dont think we are dude. Demon Souls on PS5 is WAY more than higher res and fps.

If you think bumping up the resolution makes that much of a difference then I'm not really sure what to say. Sony didnt buy Bluepoint games because they are good at dialling up res/fps.
I'm not even sure we're talking about the same game. It looks and plays almost identical, just at a higher res/fps.

I'm not the one setting the bar here. "across-the-board upgrades including graphical improvements and modern gameplay enhancements" - "the classic look and feel" - this is what R* says about it.
I, for one, wants to play these classic games, with the look and feel of the originals - they shouldn't be GTA:V or RDR2. I love the cartoony feel of the originals and look forward to the gameplay enhancements.
If you're fine with the PS2 versions running in 480p/30fps - good on you. I'm itching to play these games on a nice new screen in 4K/60fps.

gta-rockstar-trilogy-remaster-leaked.jpg
I guess we will wait and see but 'graphical improvements' says to me minimum effort.

They show no images and dont go into any depth about what has been changed and they clearly dodged comparing it with thier recent titles. When GTA 3 was released on android years ago, it had graphical improvements.

4k may give overall sharpness but its actually visual impact almost entirely revolves around level of detail. More pixels dont make graphics better. Higher fps dont make animations better. Not by themselves.

Again have to wait and see I guess. But knowing the industry at this point if thier was mind blowing footage to be shown they wouldve led with that.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
They show no images and dont go into any depth about what has been changed and they clearly dodged comparing it with thier recent titles. When GTA 3 was released on android years ago, it had graphical improvements.
They're waiting for October 22nd (release date for GTA3).
4k may give overall sharpness but its actually visual impact almost entirely revolves around level of detail. More pixels dont make graphics better. Higher fps dont make animations better. Not by themselves.
Oh I know, if they just sticked with the old RenderWare engine - I too would be very skeptical about the words "improvements" and "enhancements", cause we've already seen those in the mobile games.
Again have to wait and see I guess. But knowing the industry at this point if thier was mind blowing footage to be shown they wouldve led with that.
Sure thing. I'm a little more lighthearted on the industry and know what a good reveal means for games - jesus christ, was that GTA:V (new-gen) reveal for real? - or was it just a teaser to come back with something awesome. I'm led to believe the last part, lol.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I posted the only example we know of on another page in this thread. There are rumors about it. They released a trailer and the pic I posted from another person on here supports said rumor.

What post number is this pic on? Show me what you got.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
"There's no need to feel down!" "Call the YMCA!"

GTA 3 has a very special place in my heart. I am interested to see what R* are going to do with this.
I’m sure some of them used to just shout ‘young man’ also?

‘There’s some place you can go’ was another line.

‘You can sail the seven seas’

In Vice City there was ‘you want the chainsaw gringo’ ‘forget about it mario’ and ‘I never asked your sister out’ that I remember.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Doesn't feel right to call it a trilogy without 1 and 2, and btw raising old games from the dead is nothing new in fact remastered games has gamers giving developers all their money.

Last edited:
It's also coming out on PS5 and Series X (natively).

Not sure what you're trying to imply here, but all I'm saying is that this is releasing on consoles and platforms with low end hardware (by 2021 standards) and a simple engine switch (no pun intended) isn't gonna miraculously turn this into some of the best looking games ever made.

All 3 of these games will still be all-time classics, no doubt about that. I'm not talking game quality, just the visuals.

Just don't expect visual quality in the same league of Resident Evil 2 Remake or RDR2.

There's a reason this project is running on UE, handled by Dundee (Ruffian Games), having 3 games being done at the same time, and releasing on 9+ platforms/consoles.

Again, keep your expectations in check (GTA 5 levels of complexity), and you won't be disappointed, maybe even blown away to see Vercetti and CJ in that kinda detail.

engstra

I bought Vice City on PS4, thinking maybe it would run better than the PS2 version. I was in for a major disappointment. 480p/30fps and extreme motionblur, upscaled to 4K (for that extra blurryness)🤮
They have to remove those old versions - firstly, cause they suck! secondly, so customers don't buy the wrong versions.

I dunno, haven't played the ps4 gta games but have played a few of the ps2 games on the ps4 and they seem to have been alright. I'm not too fussy.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Not sure what you're trying to imply here, but all I'm saying is that this is releasing on consoles and platforms with low end hardware (by 2021 standards) and a simple engine switch (no pun intended) isn't gonna miraculously turn this into some of the best looking games ever made.

All 3 of these games will still be all-time classics, no doubt about that. I'm not talking game quality, just the visuals.

Just don't expect visual quality in the same league of Resident Evil 2 Remake or RDR2.

There's a reason this project is running on UE, handled by Dundee (Ruffian Games), having 3 games being done at the same time, and releasing on 9+ platforms/consoles.

Again, keep your expectations in check (GTA 5 levels of complexity), and you won't be disappointed, maybe even blown away to see Vercetti and CJ in that kinda detail.
I'm simply implying that they could just have made PS4/XO and mobile/Switch versions - but they went the extra mile and made new-gen versions, so expect those versions to have extra fidelity compared to lower end spec'ed versions.

Listen, we all know UE4 runs great on most hardware, so there's absolutely no need to downplay these remakes, just because they comes out next year for mobile/Switch.

As stated earlier I don't think people are expecting RDR2 graphics or likewise. I'm expecting greatly enhanced versions in regards to original graphics. The new gameplay enhancements are just the cherry on top.

Pull n Pray

Banned
Yikes. If they really are cutting that from the game, then I can only assume they will be cutting a ton of stuff from the remakes. Because there are dozens of things in GTA games that are more offensive than the penis / "Debra is a bitch" sign.

Hopefully they are just censoring it for the trailer. Also, Floy'd apartment goes through a metamorphosis during the game. The "Debra is a bitch" sign, along with many other things, only appear after Trevor has been living there for a while. Maybe that cut scene can be triggered at different points in the apartment's degradation. If you look at the comparison video, you'll notice that apartment is generally much cleaner in the PS5 version of the game.

Soltype

Hopefully PC modders will put them back in.
They've done it for the current releases so I can't imagine why they wouldn't be able to with the new ones, I played Vice City and San Andreas last year, both had mods that added all the music back to the original PS2 releases.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Not twisting anything. They set the standards of expectations, not you. So compared with thier 2 most recent projects one of which is 2 generations old at this point this, this is minimum effort. At the very least very low effort.

Yes UE4 is very scalable, that's why it was used to cast the largest possible net. You'll note that gtaV does NOT run on switch. Yeah the switch is the worst place to play doom and the witcher, awesome.....

That's a pretty large contradiction there bud, considering UE4 is in fact, NEWER and BETTER than the engine that those games were built with, but I suppose you already have your mind made up, eh?

Logic need not apply here, boys.

CamHostage

By default, change of engine equals it's a remake, especially when it's not just a newer version engine (e.g. UE3 to UE4).

Assets are usually "translated" for the new engine. That doesn't mean it's not a remake, cause all assets have to be translated/converted for the new engine.

So, I don't need to get too into the weeds about this, because I think overall you're more right about the project than it's worth counter-arguments for (it's obviously not going to be an upscaled-SD release, that would of be insanity), but...

Not that I've done it myself, but as far as engines and ports and all of that, you can emulate a project inside of an engine. You can use the codebase of a old game and run it in the compatible shell of a new run engine. Heck, you can use Unreal development suite without even touching the Unreal "Engine", using just the stellar development tools and project management features. (So far all the leaks have specified for GTA Definitive is that the word "Unreal" is in the launcher flag, correct?)

And also, a change of engine I wouldn't necessarily define as a "remake"; in fact, if you are retaining the codebase and translating it into a new engine, that's usually by definition a "port". (In gaming terms, "port" has been bastardized like crazy where games that have zero codebase or assets of the original still get called a "port" because the name on the box is the same, but that's not going to be solved here.) Once converted, Rockstar could technically apply its promised upgrades of "graphical improvements" and "modern gameplay enhancements" using the ported code in the new engine without actually remaking much of anything, if that was what they were doing with it (which hopefully is not the case...)

Just saying, having a flag in the store launcher that reads "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - Unreal" does not immediately tell us what this project will be.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Doesn't feel right to call it a trilogy without 1 and 2, and btw raising old games from the dead is nothing new in fact remastered games has gamers giving developers all their money.
A trilogy means three...

That would, in fact, make it a pentalogy if you were to add those.

London 1969 also exists.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yea, converting to new engine instead of just bumping up resolution and framerate on the old engine - minimum effort..

The mobile ports already ran on Unreal. So they're just upgrading those to Unreal 4.

Fortnite is going to be running on Unreal 5, but it'll still look like Fortnite. These will look like the mobile versions.

Last edited:
About the music in Vice City.

They could easily double or triple the amount of songs.

Also replace Billie Jean with Beat It(the better Song in my opinion)

Or add an 80s streaming music station for god sake.

Don't tell me you got no money or It's Not possible. Same goes for all the other games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom