• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto The Trilogy: The Definitive Edition announced, all consoles and PC in 2021 and mobile in 2022

Excess

Or.. They're removing them so people doesn't buy the originals by mistake and they want to earn 100% from sales and not pay 30% to Steam?
There's a comma in my sentence. I wasn't saying this wasn't the reason. It most certainly is.

Majormaxxx

Here's my take on why I don't trust them to not dump a bad port.

1. For gta 5 they didn't bother to offer a patch to unlock resolution for ps4 pro/x1x.

2.the gta trilogy on psn was released in a bad state with sound stutter and left this way. Just one patch that didn't fix things and that's it.

3. Rdr2 was released with fake hdr

4. Instead of a free upgrade to at least give 4k60 on ps5/xsx gta 5 is getting a full price next Gen version.

5. On ps3/360 San Andreas was just a dump of their android port - including lack of analog acceleration button. The 360 version was stuttering if ran off a hdd due to its engine relying on android's flash memory for fast streaming.

6.They have a history of f**kups. Even gta 3 on pc, way back when, had performance issues on pc. This was finally fixed in vice city.

Well the fact that it is coming to all consoles and even a mobile port is planned next year, it can be assumed that the graphic upgrade probably means they put a filter over it and increased the resolution, but that's all. I assume it is the same kind of low effort like GTA5 on PS5...

1. For gta 5 they didn't bother to offer a patch to unlock resolution for ps4 pro/x1x.

2.the gta trilogy on psn was released in a bad state with sound stutter and left this way. Just one patch that didn't fix things and that's it.

4. Instead of a free upgrade to at least give 4k60 on ps5/xsx gta 5 is getting a full price next Gen version.

5. On ps3/360 San Andreas was just a dump of their android port - including lack of analog acceleration button. The 360 version was stuttering if ran off a hdd due to its engine relying on android's flash memory for fast streaming.

6.They have a history of f**kups. Even gta 3 on pc, way back when, had performance issues on pc. This was finally fixed in vice city.
^^^^ This 100%. I would include also the fact that there hasn't been a 60 fps patch for Rdr2 on next gen consoles. The 30 fps in rdr2 is brutal when you consider how much input delay is already present due to the animations being the way they are.

Seriously, 60 fps patch should've been a guarantee considering they're still making money off of Rdr Online. The lack of ANY patch ever for Gta V remastered is gross as well. Biggest selling game of all time. It's pure greed. Kind of represents everything wrong with gaming. It shows how often these companies have zero care for their long time customers.

I'm super pissy today about this industry so I realize I come off as a negative Nancy but this week has had multiple burns with far cry 6 being way more broken then the reviews were saying and just learning that Bungie is going to "vault" the entire Forsaken campaign plus more planets while lying about rotating back in previously vaulted content.

These devs and publishers are brazen with their anti consumer bullshit.

Well the fact that it is coming to all consoles and even a mobile port is planned next year, it can be assumed that the graphic upgrade probably means they put a filter over it and increased the resolution, but that's all. I assume it is the same kind of low effort like GTA5 on PS5...
they already set a precedent with making a GOOD remaster with the ps4 version. I guess 'fuck that precedent we know better in 2021 to put work into a remaster; it'll sell regardless!"

ZehDon

IF the game runs on unreal 4, the modders will be able to hack the game to make it look a lot better (gta v like)

At least on PC. Because of this , i would say that this port is not a complete waste of time (on pc, in mobile and console it is a waste of time xd )
Do games run through the Rockstar launcher play nice with mods?

J3nga

IF the game runs on unreal 4, the modders will be able to hack the game to make it look a lot better (gta v like)

At least on PC. Because of this , i would say that this port is not a complete waste of time (on pc, in mobile and console it is a waste of time xd )
Take-Two ant mods are like coke and mentos.

If that reddit post is accurate , it’s pretty disappointing imo. Considering how revered these games are and the wealth of Rockstar, you would think they could offer something a bit more of an investment than that.

When Kotaku first reported about the trilogy they stated the source told them visually they looked heavily modded, whatever that means.

It’s sad people can’t expect a bit better for these type of things.

I think my biggest issue seems like they are removing it from steam without replacing them I own all three on steam so really doesn't affect me honestly but this whole anti steam stance just feels really anti-consumer

rofif

Banned

Exactly. fuck em.
I cannot play my old STEAM copy of gta iv anymore since it requires their store launcher. They removed original music too.
I've bought gta 5 and it does not fucking work. I get black screen because of their launcher.
They always keep quiet and the reason is to sell the game many times. Of course they did not told anyone RDR2 is coming to pc year later because they want people to buy it twice.

They are a horrible, greedy company.

I think my biggest issue seems like they are removing it from steam without replacing them I own all three on steam so really doesn't affect me honestly but this whole anti steam stance just feels really anti-consumer

I mean let's be honest, the whole "anti anything that isn't steam" stance is even more "anti-consumer". It's insane to me that people are actually arguing for monopolized game distribution on pc. Anytime a new store or launcher comes out you'll have people actively fighting against it. Lunacy. Imagine a world where people fight for monopolization.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

Rockstar is trying hard to be more annoying than Ubisoft.
A developer who spent a generation creating Red Dead Redemption Max Payne 3, Midnight Club, La Noire, GTAIV, GTA V, Manhunt .... to slow its development and relaunch GTAV for the 3rd time, and for the 6th time San Andreas and just a new title being Red Dead Redemption 2 in the past 9 YEARS. ... what happened to Rockstar.

-pepodmc

Neo Member
A developer who spent a generation creating Red Dead Redemption Max Payne 3, Midnight Club, La Noire, GTAIV, GTA V, Manhunt .... to slow its development and relaunch GTAV for the 3rd time, and for the 6th time San Andreas and just a new title being Red Dead Redemption 2 in the past 9 YEARS. ... what happened to Rockstar.
GTA V, that happened to rockstar

VulcanRaven

Disapponting if they haven't updated the graphics much. Not going to buy at full price if that is the case. They should have used the Euphoria physics from modern GTA games.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
God forbid people expect work to be put into something they are charging full price for
The Original Series Yes GIF by Star Trek

I mean let's be honest, the whole "anti anything that isn't steam" stance is even more "anti-consumer". It's insane to me that people are actually arguing for monopolized game distribution on pc. Anytime a new store or launcher comes out you'll have people actively fighting against it. Lunacy. Imagine a world where people fight for monopolization.
Im more of a put it on everything kinda person let the people decide where they want to buy it Steam\EGS\GOG and whatever store they want and not limit it to one place.
Was more bothered by the delisting off steam and not replacing it with the new versions

Last edited:

stn

I never expected anything big from this "remaster". The main reason is that if they were actually doing a high quality remaster or even a remake, it would have been announced a long time ago to build hype. Instead, it is suddenly announced 2 months before release??? We're talking about some of the biggest games of all time in one package.

I REALLY want to be proven wrong but all indications are so far that it is going to be a minimum-effort port.

I never expected anything big from this "remaster". The main reason is that if they were actually doing a high quality remaster or even a remake, it would have been announced a long time ago to build hype. Instead, it is suddenly announced 2 months before release??? We're talking about some of the biggest games of all time in one package.

I REALLY want to be proven wrong but all indications are so far that it is going to be a minimum-effort port.

This is Rockstar though. Do they need a long time to build up hype for games that already built up hype years ago? This is a current gen remaster of the Trilogy. It was always gonna do gangbusters. These next few weeks will build all the hype Rockstar needs.

Last edited:

JayK47

Technically I have wanted this for years. But I really wanted this years ago. Now? I am too damn busy and I worry they will cut content. Pretty sure half of the music will be gone or redone due to licensing. But also, I would expect a lot of censoring or editing to make it more "inclusive" to modern audiences. If they literally stay true to the originals I will grab it once it is on Steam.

EDMIX

To be fair, the thing you are talking about applies to almost all development teams. We've seen development take longer and be more expensive on all fronts.

Even to say "relaunch GTAV for the 3rd time" is irrelevant as you could argue they fucking did that with all their other titles, that isn't new to then be like "what happened" lol That is the norm for them tbh. That would be like seeing Capcom port a Resident Evil and be like "what happened" lol

Putting out 1 game a generation and condensing their teams has also allowed them to avoid the issues you even see currently from Ubisoft and other publishers in the first place. Those same fucking teams are attacked for this um "copy and paste" or "reskin" claim that people love throwing around.

So I'd say....8 to 9 years to put out a solid open world title with free MP, in a large world with really good NPC etc might REALLY be what it takes to actually do that concept properly.

So...Rockstar can put out more titles like you listed, but how the fuck do we know you wouldn't then just start attacking them and say something like "Rockstar is trying hard to be more annoying than Ubisoft" =)

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. They can afford to wait, I say let them take their time, you already know what the alternative is to doing that btw, many publishers cut corners this gen to then attack the one team that really put time in a open world title vs shitting one out lol

Gamezone

Gold Member
The original trilogy has been on sale for as low as $5, and now they are asking $60-$70 for something that is rumored to be almost identical? No wonder they are removing the original games, but good luck trying to sell the remasters at thar price.

The original trilogy has been on sale for as low as $5, and now they are asking $60-$70 for something that is rumored to be almost identical? No wonder they are removing the original games, but good luck trying to sell the remasters at thar price.
People will still buy it at that price unfortunately. Rockstar is going to continue to milk these old games and delay GTA 6 because they know they can get away.

I hope they don’t end up damaging the series in the long run with these cash grab moves they continue to make.

VulcanRaven

Uhhh... why do I suddenly have duplicates of the three games in my Steam library, and they all have 0 minutes play time?

FfvjnNZ.png
Maybe they are giving them for free if you have the original. I doubt it but that happened with Mafia 2 Definitive Edition.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
I think they're Mac versions. (or maybe Linux?)
Hmmm, that screenshot is indeed from my Linux system... But I don't have any other duplicate from any of the games I have that have both Windows and Linux versions... And I'm 99% sure those duplicates weren't there before. I'll check on my Windows PC in a moment.

I was excited about this until I heard the news about pricing. Would upscaling the textures and adding refinements and tweaks be worthy of full retail price?

By the way the leaks were sounding, the amount of work undertaken was monsterous, but the reality is a little disappointing. Will there be upgrade discounts for existing owners when this comes to Steam?

To be fair, the thing you are talking about applies to almost all development teams. We've seen development take longer and be more expensive on all fronts.

Even to say "relaunch GTAV for the 3rd time" is irrelevant as you could argue they fucking did that with all their other titles, that isn't new to then be like "what happened" lol That is the norm for them tbh. That would be like seeing Capcom port a Resident Evil and be like "what happened" lol

Putting out 1 game a generation and condensing their teams has also allowed them to avoid the issues you even see currently from Ubisoft and other publishers in the first place. Those same fucking teams are attacked for this um "copy and paste" or "reskin" claim that people love throwing around.

So I'd say....8 to 9 years to put out a solid open world title with free MP, in a large world with really good NPC etc might REALLY be what it takes to actually do that concept properly.

So...Rockstar can put out more titles like you listed, but how the fuck do we know you wouldn't then just start attacking them and say something like "Rockstar is trying hard to be more annoying than Ubisoft" =)

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. They can afford to wait, I say let them take their time, you already know what the alternative is to doing that btw, many publishers cut corners this gen to then attack the one team that really put time in a open world title vs shitting one out lol

Well said, especially this part...

No matter what Rockstar, or any other developer, does you people will fuckin whine and bitch about it anyways. If it takes a decade it takes a decade, what's the sense of whining about it? They aren't suddenly going to pump out games because some people on niche forums are angry that it's taking "too long".

Do your thing Rockstar, it's been decades now and you haven't let us down yet.

Last edited:

Warablo

Ya, would have been cool if they could have somehow kept the game and missions the same but upped the animations and graphics/gameplay to modern standards.

Top Bottom