• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V Has Shipped Over 140 Million Units; Red Dead Redemption 2 at Over 36 Million

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

bzDu6bQ.png

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of soured a bit on GTA Online over time, but I had a great time with GTA V at launch. Rockstar just knows how to make quality open-world games.

I'm curious what kind of hype/sales an eventual GTA VI is going to bring. I have a feeling it will be unlike anything we've seen.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I bought it on PS3 and again on PS4, i think that happened a lot PS3 couldn't run the game as it was supposed to.
GTA V is one of the only games I have bought full price both times. Likely won't buy the PS5 version, but it's insane to see it still going strong.

Excess

I used to be a die hard GTA:O player back in the day. Grinded hard to a rank near 300, and had millions of earned cash. Now I despise the game. When I look back on it, it became nothing more than a game of diminishing returns. R* spent more time looking for ways to make the game more of a grind, while inflating prices on in-game items to bankrupt money-glitchers and getting Little Billy to run mommy's credit card for Shark Cards. I also suspect that any resources that might have been useful to developing single player DLC were also relegated to the terrible bore-fest that is known as GTA Online. What an absolute fucking disgrace to the GTA franchise.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

rdr2 online probably added a large part towards those sales 5 bucks for online so yea there is that.

Also shipped, epic games gave gta 5 away for a week or something which basically nuked there website so that will probably also add a lot of people towards it.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I used to be a die hard GTA:O player back in the day. Grinded hard to a rank near 300, and had millions of earned cash. Now I despise the game. When I look back on it, it became nothing more than a game of diminishing returns. R* spent more time looking for ways to make the game more of a grind, while inflating prices on in-game items to bankrupt money-glitchers and getting Little Billy to run mommy's credit card for Shark Cards. I also suspect that any resources that might have been useful to developing single player DLC were also relegated to the terrible bore-fest that is known as GTA Online. What an absolute fucking disgrace to the GTA franchise.
It is a shame how much you need to grind. I tend to just do races these days and not worry about money. Obviously not having a top custom car can be a problem sometimes, but I always seem to do well with the older cars I have.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I got GTA V for PS3(launch day), then for PS4, then for Xbox One X(digital) and will be buying the next gen for PS5. It's my most played game ever on PlayStation....

7ACoHMz.jpg
That's insane man. I have spent an incredible amount of time in GTA: O as well.

Although I wonder how many of those hours were spent in Rockstar's cloud for us? :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

tenor.gif

Denton

It's a fun game. RDR2 is Rockstar's best though. Don't care about online modes in either...but of course, without those, these games would be ten times less profitable than they are.

Gotta be honest, I don't understand how.
It is on damn near every platform since the xbox360, that's how. Also what price does it sell at? I bet steam sales have sold it so low it had to be practically giving it away for free.
Edit
I'm more impressed with Nintendo and their Switch. All their games have sold how many? With no drop in price in sight? 80mil consoles sold since march 2017 and continuing to climb.
GTA5 and Minecraft can honestly fuck off. Whats next, This free to play phone game was downloaded this many times. Don't give AF, lol.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
It's funny when some people here were mocking Switch users for buying an enchanted port of WiiU game that put that game as the best selling game of Nintendo Switch but at the same time GTAV is the best selling game on PS3, PS4, X360, XB1, and soon on both PS5 and XSX too.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny when some people here were mocking Switch users for buying an enchanted port of WiiU game that put that game as the best selling game of Nintendo Switch but at the same time GTAV is the best selling game on PS3, PS4, X360, XB1, and soon on both PS5 and XSX too.
I will say that the bump-up in graphics was definitely worth it. Maybe not full-price, but it was so much better playing it on PS4/Xbox One. It was like night and day. I wish I hadn't played it in 2013 first honestly.

waquzy

That's insane man. I have spent an incredible amount of time in GTA: O as well.

Although I wonder how many of those hours were spent in Rockstar's cloud for us? :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

tenor.gif
You are not going to believe me when I say this, but all those hours are from Single player and Director mode only. I have spent less than a single hour on GTA Online. I only tried it once when I first got the game all those years back... heck I don't even have PlayStation Plus. Here's my trophies list after 871 hours:

Na8vXyP.jpg

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
You are not going to believe me when I say this, but all those hours are from Single player and Director mode only. I have spent less than a single hour on GTA Online. I only tried it once when I first got the game all those years back... heck I don't even have PlayStation Plus. Here's my trophies list after 871 hours:

Na8vXyP.jpg
Okay, yep, you're insane.

Cbs What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

give it another three Gens and respective remasters or so and it´ll catch up with GTA V ... Rockstar is way to innovative to miss out on that money...

Blond

Banned
Gotta be honest, I don't understand how.
The shark card bundle being sold is cheaper than buying out from the PlayStation store from my understanding. The used markets been flooded with copies for ages since they started doing this and I’m sure 2020s interest in console gaming didn’t help, either.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Minecraft is an amateur game compared to GTA yes it progresses creative sales but how much credit to its sales are due to mobile? I believe GTA V is #1

cormack12

Gold Member
What's crazy is that it had its best year since launch!!! And RDR:O had the best month!!!!!

.....more units of GTA 5 were sold in calendar 2020 than in any other year except for the game's launch year of 2013
.....Red Dead Online reached more players in December of 2020 than it ever has since its beta launch in 2018

And the upgrades aren't due until at least Q3!!!

Take-Two reaffirmed its commitment to release GTA 5 on the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S in the second half of 2021, as well as continue to update the game with new content this year.

I played and loved it on the 360. I have been tempted to buy it for my XB1 or PC, but I never followed through.
Im not interested in playing through the story again or the multiplayer. I mostly just like flying around and shooting at stuff.

Top Bottom