• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V is the best selling game of all time (In the US) - NPD

WestEgg

You're not wrong, but GTA is valuable enough that I would think it more wise to manufacture their own platform rather than cede royalties to Nintendo. Switch needs GTA more than GTA needs Switch (though neither really need each other in the long run).

Aren't they ceding royalties to Sony, Microsoft, and Valve anyway? Don't see why Nintendo would be different. I would also be shocked if GTAV Switch isn't at least being discussed internally right now, if not in a early development.

oni-link

GTAVI to be cross gen with a delayed PC release confirmed

Also barely any single player so they can focus more on GTAO2

I wonder if they will split Online off or build it into 6 after this games insane milestones.

There was that scary rumor that the wild revenue success of GTA Online may have killed the single player GTA, but I have to imagine with their unlimited budget and complete creative control, Rockstar would still want to make one.

That's what we've been saying about HL3.

LAM09

Only game I've ever bought twice (PS3 & PS4). Shame they went all out with online instead of releasing a DLC that had been rumoured.

???

Are people actually upset that I haven't bought it yet? lol

I mean, the "yet" part pretty much implies I have plans to buy it eventually.

But you're not moving fast enough.

I'll have to buy another copy on the way home from work today just to pick up the slack. :)

The article headline is a bit misleading, NPD only tracks North American sales so AFAIK this report is only in regards to that region. It's also not clear if games like Minecraft are tracked accurately via NPD, but either way it's an extremely impressive accomplishment

The report issued yesterday was for the US market.

NPD also tracks sales across all the Americas, not just North America.

Data in the reporting is full market physical combined with digital full game sales on PlayStation, Xbox and STEAM platforms for publishers in the digital leader panel, which include Activision Blizzard, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Deep Silver, Electronic Arts, Microsoft, Sony, Square Enix, Take-Two Interactive, Ubisoft, Warner Bros. Interactive.

I dunno. 2 weeks ago, I would've laughed at the idea of LA Noire, DOOM and Wolfenstein II: TNC coming to Switch. Yet, here we are. Basically, you just never know.

Most people would've laughed at LA Noire, don't worry about it :x

Anyway well deserved. I can't really think of a more deserving game of the title honestly, GTA5 is a damn masterpiece.

Salvadora

Incredible achievement but valid point re: Minecraft tracking.

Never got into GTA Online, though.

Far too much loading.

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member
What was the best selling game of all time before GTAV? Skyrim? MKWii?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
in a way i find it disappointing. it's selling this well and no doubt because of GTA Online which IMO ruined the entire series for me. have always considered GTA my favourite gaming series but after seeing the direction they are taking it after GTAO then I'm not interested in GTA VI. might pick it up second hand to play whatever effort they are making towards a campaign but after that it'll be getting sold.

mreddie

latest

Deserved but online is a pain in the ass to get anything.

JeTmAn81

I never played it. Feels like the video game equivalent of not watching Titanic (or maybe Avatar) at this point.

The report issued yesterday was for the US market.

NPD also tracks sales across all the Americas, not just North America.

Data in the reporting is full market physical combined with digital full game sales on PlayStation, Xbox and STEAM platforms for publishers in the digital leader panel, which include Activision Blizzard, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Deep Silver, Electronic Arts, Microsoft, Sony, Square Enix, Take-Two Interactive, Ubisoft, Warner Bros. Interactive.

If I'm getting this right, GTAV is the best-selling game in the US, but for other countries in the Americas (Canada, Mexico, Central/South America) is it not quite #1?

The performance on this thing has been utterly ridiculous for years and years now. We'll never see a behemoth like it again.
No reason to assume that.

Its definitely a behemoth though. Can't imagine how much work must have gone into making it.

Actually, on that note, are there any good "making of" videos or documentaries that explore just how Rockstar tackles something like GTA V, from idea to release?

GTA is the beast, but for damn real.
Well deserved, first GTA I truly enjoyed.
I've loved all of the 3D ones, with GTA 3 being a fucking revelation that changed my perspective on what games could be - but GTA V is the only one I ever finished. Multiple times over. And triple dipped.

So the must have gotten something right ;p

kswiston

ßig;249038582 said:

If it wasn't Wii Sports, I don't know what it could have been that took so long to pass. Among unbundled games, I would have expected GTA V to be number 1 a couple of years ago.

c0de

Missing playing this gem for what? paying 5 more dollars?
But yeah, its your money and your choose ;)

I already have a huge backlog, with Witcher 3 waiting among others. I don't say the game doesn't deserve the money but considering how long it's been since release, I expect less money to spend. But the game keeps on selling like crazy so I guess I have to spend 30 at one point.

My favorite GTA. Well deserved. Red Dead Redemption 2 and GTA 6 gonna destroy when they come out, assuming the latter isn't just a GTA online update.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I doubt it makes it on time with red dead releasing next year

it's possible...

RDR2 early 2018. GTA VI late 2019. they could leave it until just before next gen consoles come out. V came out 2 months before PS4/XB1. if next gen consoles come out 2020 then even more likely. by 2019 it'll have been 6 years since GTA V released. i don't think it'd take as long to make VI especially if they are putting less focus on single player.

release it on PS4/XB1. announce PS5/XB2 versions. delay PC into 2021/2022. i wouldn't put it past them to try get people to double/triple dip again.

dreamfall

Waiting on that Red Dead Redemption 2 forever. GTA V never ends, GTA: O is going to keep cashing in for years.

I miss the days of single player DLC, of Rockstar working on IPs like The Warriors, Bully and Manhunt. Are the glory days over?

I really would kill for some Switch ports of old Rockstar games - a Rockstar collection of the best.

Kinda wonder whether we'll ever have a true GTA VI, or whether it will just be GTA Online shit fest microtransactions busted grinding crap. Rockstar has made so much money on GTA Online cash cards at so little relative expensive, and Take2 loves money and needs that money to stay afloat, I sort of wonder.

Benzies really drove GTA Online into fruition, so with him gone, who knows, maybe we will get the proper massive GTA VI single player story game. But... I'm hesitant. I haven't been pessimistic about a future GTA game, but GTA Online has really soured me to what's next in the series.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Waiting on that Red Dead Redemption 2 forever. GTA V never ends, GTA: O is going to keep cashing in for years.

I miss the days of single player DLC, of Rockstar working on IPs like The Warriors, Bully and Manhunt. Are the glory days over?

looks like it. they'll ruin Red Dead just like they ruined GTA. We're getting Red Dead Online.

ßig;249038582 said:

Lol at skyrim not even close

Still havent bought gta v was hoping for a switch version, rockstar should just port it to break the record even greater :)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Kinda wonder whether we'll ever have a true GTA VI, or whether it will just be GTA Online shit fest microtransactions busted grinding crap. Rockstar has made so much money on GTA Online cash cards at so little relative expensive, and Take2 loves money and needs that money to stay afloat, I sort of wonder.

Benzies really drove GTA Online into fruition, so with him gone, who knows, maybe we will get the proper massive GTA VI single player story game. But... I'm hesitant. I haven't been pessimistic about a future GTA game, but GTA Online has really soured me to what's next in the series.

i've heard that it was Benzies who pushed for GTA online so i hope with him gone that there is less focus on it but i guess i can keep dreaming because T2 aren't gonna let rockstar give up on it so easily. i believe sam + dan houser care more for telling stories. i really wish Rockstar would leave T2 and just go it alone. Rockstar don't need them with the amount of money they bring in with GTA.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Now imagine if it were on Switch too... Damn...

what if the LA Noire release is just them testing the waters and becoming familiar with the Switch? They'd be stupid not to bring V to Switch. then again...they probably wouldn't be able to get GTA Online running on it so they probably don't care.

Congrats to Rockstar/Taketwo for building the game up to what it is. Crazy to think the engine's humble beginnings were a table tennis game.

Also, people bawking at the idea of GTA5 on the switch will probably be in for a big surprise when inevitably happens. It'll happen even if it's after RDR2. There's just too much easy money to be made from a port like that. Yet the same posters will come out of the woodwork and complain about something else.

Top Bottom