• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V is the best selling game of all time (In the US) - NPD

Mooreberg

Amazing game. The closest I have gotten to 100% completion for any GTA games. Green Man Gaming has a good price on the PC version right now, but I have so many other games to play. I really wish they had gotten GTA online built up sooner. I would have played it endlessly during the 2014 doldrums.

Eggbok

People who don't play games on a regular basis are the ones who contribute the most to this games success in my mind. As terrible as it sounds stealing cars and killing random people draws a lot of people in lol.

Man... I bought this game twice. Once on initial PS3 release, and later digital on PS4 on sale.

Honestly after beating the main story I still play it all the time in single player. I love just driving around.

Really great game. Never played it online.

On a separate note, Steven Ogg (Trevor) needs more work. He was really good in his bit parts on Broad City and Better Call Saul.

Anybody (like me) who wants single player DLC can thank all the online players for not getting it.

There's literally no incentive for Rockstar to do it now since Online prints truckloads of money.

Gross - what a sad reality this is.
I'd wager around 50 % of the people who play GTA are kids.
I was a kid when I originally played GTA. The first, that is. I was 12? I think? Actually played it with a friend at the time, we never did missions or anything, would just swap back and forth in causing havoc. Been playing them ever since (though I have yet to play 5 funnily enough). Nothing sad about it, just some good fun in a big open world.

It is an amazing game, hours of fun and always something new to do. The characters are great, I especially love Trevor but the thought of Red Dead Redemption 2 makes me more excited. The first RDR still stands out to me as one of the best games ever made, hands down.

Kaizer

Banned
Man... I bought this game twice. Once on initial PS3 release, and later digital on PS4 on sale.

Honestly after beating the main story I still play it all the time in single player. I love just driving around.

Yep, I've racked up probably 40+ hours just driving around the game world after finishing the main storyline. I don't play multiplayer at all, so I just have fun cruising around the world & replaying missions. The game is a bit of an escape for me, as the setting & recreation of Los Angeles is pretty cool wish fulfillment for someone who can't currently live or visit there at all.

TheDanger

Banned
in a way i find it disappointing. it's selling this well and no doubt because of GTA Online which IMO ruined the entire series for me. have always considered GTA my favourite gaming series but after seeing the direction they are taking it after GTAO then I'm not interested in GTA VI. might pick it up second hand to play whatever effort they are making towards a campaign but after that it'll be getting sold.

This is ridiculous, you know nothing about the next GTA, I am fairly confident Rockstar won't half ass the single player. They know people would be furious if only Online was proper.

I wonder if they will split Online off or build it into 6 after this games insane milestones.

There was that scary rumor that the wild revenue success of GTA Online may have killed the single player GTA, but I have to imagine with their unlimited budget and complete creative control, Rockstar would still want to make one.

With how the DLC plays out it wouldn't surprise me if they were more closely integrated.

Honestly if they did the multiprotagonists again I could easily see the Online protagonist being a Claude Speed type silent protagonist.

Peltz

I genuinely tried but I couldn't get into it. I see the appeal, but it's not for me.

The fact that it's this huge event in a hobby I enjoy, and I don't really like it myself kind of makes me feel like an outsider in a strange way.

The performance on this thing has been utterly ridiculous for years and years now. We'll never see a behemoth like it again.

GTAVI?

I remember when GTAIII and other PS2 GTA titles games out and how those titles felt like everyone who played video games had a copy of it. This was back before the internet was really a thing too. GTAIV came out and everyone I knew had cool off on the series. But man.... When GTAV came out everyone I knew was back on the hype train. All my personal acquaintances who turned to casuals bought PS3's to to play this. I'm personally waiting to see if Rock* brings this to a certain console I won't mentioned because it may come off as port begging to dive in for my first time.
I am not port begging. If it doesn't come to the console I am thinking of that's fine. Rock* doesn't need my sale for this title to be a massive and well deserve success.

Game barely gets a price cut.

Like, it should be $30 CAD, but it's always like $40+

Pretty insane.

I worked in inventory at Best Buy until fairly recently. Every single week would get as many copies of GTAV as any other game and we would always sell though our entire stock. At full price. It's a monster.

GTA VI will just be GTA Online 2.0 and your GTAO character will be the main character =p

Actually, in serious, I don't think they'll change the approach to SP at all. Based on the Youtube Views that story content gets, things like phone calls between characters or Hangout conversations, they're still immensely popular. Even the most obscure details in SP get millions of views on top videos for the content, and there's basically been no dip in traffic since release. And I think the SP story goes a huge way in terms of 'world building' and making people care about the online world to begin with.

On the flip side, something like only 35% of GTA V players (based on Trophies) even completed the first Heist and reached Trevor lol.

So who knows heheh.

Muffdraul

RIP great single player experiences. Long live shark cards, micro transactions, and shallow online experiences.

11201crying1.gif

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
GTA V was an excellent 9/10 for me back on PS3 in 2013 but I have no interest in playing online whatsoever which is obviously what's keeping the game in the top ten repeatedly and breaking records. I would say 2023 for GTA 6 at the earliest. Oh well.

TheDanger

Banned
I double dipped but I'm still disappointed that you can only save a few vehicles in single player and you pretty much have to buy the big garages in GTAO.

lol wut? you can buy garages with every character in the single player, plus store cars at your house, that is not enough for you?

Certinty

The last 3 years I've barely put any time into it. But to be honest I still consider it the greatest game ever made. Not sure what will overtake it anytime soon.

JP

I have absolutely no interest in the sales threads but I always pop in when they go live, just to see if GTA V is still there. It always is and it makes absolutely no sense to me.

LowSignal

I double dipped with a PS3,360,X1(1 physical,1 digital), I'm sure even more people double dipped when the last gen and current gen games.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
what i want more than anything is a breakdown by hardware sales. PS4, xB1, 360 and ps3 and pc....

do the current gen twins beat the last gen twins? where does PC factor?

also i never have played the game myself xD its never come down in price enough!

What game is #2 now?

Minecraft?

Minecraft is likely #1 but I don't think it's digital sales are tracked by NPD which is why I mentioned it in the OP.

Tetris has been sold for much longer than tracking has been around and might also be up there.

After those 3 I honestly have no idea what the next highest would be. Wii Sports is probably the next if you include bundled games, if you don't then maybe the original Super Mario Bros

Heh. This has been case since GTA made it to the mainstream with GTA III. I was kid then and pretty much everyone played GTA games. For some their parents bought them and for those (like me) that didn't have as open minded parents we loaned the games from those that had them. Still remember playing GTA Vice City in my room and when my mother came to the room to ask something I stopped all violent activities in game and just drive around =P.

dr_rus

RIP great single player experiences. Long live shark cards, micro transactions, and shallow online experiences.

I really don't think that this is the lesson Rockstar should be learning from GTA5 success. I mean, if GTA6 will be online only I fully expect it to automatically sell in less than 1/4th of what GTA5 achieved. A LOT of people are buying GTA5 for single player only.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was always the case.
I was 11 when GTAIII released and not only did I get it but like every friend did as well.

Dumb fun was like the entire original selling point, sadly as I got older driving around the city in a tank causing destruction and the like I lost a lot of interest in.

in the US
18.84% of all people are 14 or younger
and 28.1% are 55 or older

50% of all GTA V players being kids is a totally fine ratio (beside kids playing Mature games)

Top Bottom