• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V is the best selling game of all time (In the US) - NPD

Krayz

Speaking of RDR2 its almost a year since it's reveal. Will they start up the hype machine in November, the same way they announced GTA V in October and released details a year later in november?

Some Nobody

I'm curious. How many of ya'll would skip GTA if the next installment was JUST online?

Online is clearly the driver for these sales, but I don't know that you keep all 80m sales if single-player is dropped.

I'm curious. How many of ya'll would skip GTA if the next installment was JUST online?

Online would need a lot of work to get me to buy GTAO2 without VI included.
It would definitely need more MMO like features.
- civilian jobs
- more players
- more options
- more gametypes
Im honestly amazed they haven't already made a gametype that has all the NPCs as zombies.

I don't know why people think that next GTA could be online only game because of success of GTA V. Single player is still big part of the appeal of GTA franchise and while online component is the reason for these ridiculous long legs when GTA V originally broke launch records it was all about single player. There is still probably at least something like 20 million people out of that 80 million that have bought GTA V mainly because of the single player component of the game That is still insane amount of people and easily justifies the costs of single player component of the next game.

Online is clearly the driver for these sales, but I don't know that you keep all 80m sales if single-player is dropped.

Not gonna happen. Houser brothers are writers. They like writing singleplayer stories.

I would love it if they go full on MMO with quests/jobs and more fleshed out characters and narrative. Also new cities expansions.

GTAO is my favorite online experience this gen if not ever.

I would love it if they go full on MMO with quests/jobs and more fleshed out characters and narrative. Also new cities expansions.

GTAO is my favorite online experience this gen if not ever.

I'd like "basic" jobs to be in so much.
Police, Fire Department, Driver, Criminal and Paramedics would be so easy as a start.
(each could even have a progression tree)

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Does it help with numbers that it was released for all consoles with a delay for next gen? How many people bought it on ps3, rebought it on ps4 and then also bought it on PC?

I bet that contributed to a lot of these all-star numbers. I bet the second top selling fame is RE 4 with how many times that's been re released.

sleepnaught

I've never played GTAO. GTA just seems like the game that would attract the worst humanity has to offer. Im done playing online games with toxic communities. But I'll have to give it try to see if their community is better.

EhoaVash

This just reenforce how much Nintendo fucked up not having this game on either Wii u or switch

Anyway I too have never bought gtaV
I rented it once for 5 days before I had my fill. Was a interesting experience enjoyed the banter between characters story was pretty funny but I just lost interest after the 3rd day ( stopped playing after my first heists)

Warablo

Not to mention the online is the biggest grindfest ever. If I didnt glitch car money early on, I wouldnt have enjoyed it at all.

This just reenforce how much Nintendo fucked up not having this game on either Wii u or switch

Anyway I too have never bought gtaV
I rented it once for 5 days before I had my fill. Was a interesting experience enjoyed the banter between characters story was pretty funny but I just lost interest after the 3rd day ( stopped playing after my first heists)

Don't think it was up to Nintendo. Rockstar just decided it wasn't worth their investment to port it over to a Nintendo console. Hopefully one day they'll come around because I would definitely buy a mainline GTA on Switch

hwy_61

Banned
Man, I've never touched the MP in that game. Not once. Anyways, well deserved. The single player campaign is fun.

Joe T.

I guess it depends on the way it's designed. It would have to come up with some rather creative solutions to restrictive technical issues where massive, open worlds are concerned because GTAV's online mode just doesn't do it for me. Even if the next GTA's online mode was groundbreaking I would still be disappointed without a strong single player story mode to go along with it.

I've never played GTAO. GTA just seems like the game that would attract the worst humanity has to offer. Im done playing online games with toxic communities. But I'll have to give it try to see if their community is better.
TBH for a game with so many players it sometimes doesn't have much of a community haha

I play pretty casual with voice chat turned off, and as a biker in Blaine County it's usually pretty quiet, and whether it's Stunt Races or the PUBG clone, the other players might as well be bots.

every now and again my poor butt gets smoked trying to deliver weed by someone in an attack chopper or jet tho and that always sucks lol

but if you play it casually AND have money saved up from release (if anyone remembers when GTA5 first released, they gave players a bunch of money for a few 'bug' problems;
I think I had nearly 1.5 million just sitting on my character from Rockstar), then it can be a sort of decent 'GTA San Andreas' style game where you just do drug businesses or steal cars and such.

that said, starting from scratch is terrible.... really good 'free roam/player business or property' game / horrible horrible pricing model clearly meant to push players to buy at least a $20 cash card just to get started.

Zaventem

I expect them to take the same route for the next GTA so they can sell an updated next generation version. And i still haven't bought it haha, rockstar deserves all the success they make amazing games.

Shit, I guess so with it topping the NPD it looks like every month and I'm like how? The shit came out years ago and negras are stilling buy this shit like it's hot! I don't get it.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

I would. Bought it twice and hardly touched online. Single player and fooling around in the city without a bunch of A-holes constantly trying to run you down is more enjoyable to me

Top Bottom