• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V is the most expensive video game production in history ($265M)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
1349732_0gjs97.png

At this point there is no doubt about it: Grand Theft Auto V is the single biggest video game in history.
Based on a report from Scottish newspaper The Scotsman, Rockstar’s upcoming open-world game Grand Theft Auto V was made on a marketing and development budget of £170 million (or $265 million). This makes it the most expensive video game production in history. In comparison with Hollywood films, it is second only to Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End - the current record-holder for the most expensive film production – which had a $300 million budget.

In development for the past five years, Take-Two Interactive and Rockstar have put everything into making sure GTA V is the greatest open-world game ever. With over 2.5 million pre-orders already in just the US, analysts are expecting it to be one of the most-sold games of this console generation.
GTA IV has so far sold over 25 million copies; how well will GTA V do?

GTA V launches worldwide on September 17 on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Have you pre-ordered your copy yet?

http://vr-zone.com/articles/grand-t...y-beats-big-budget-hollywood-films/55320.html

game-budget-635x398nfs9b.jpg

movie-budget-635x43469s63.jpg

New Grand Theft Auto V Release Tipped To Rake in £1 Billion in Sales

boinx

It certainly does look very expensive, but they don't have to worry. They are going to make that money back easily.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Probably 'cuz they created the feel of next gen with this generations engines.

apana

Marketing and development though, those two numbers should be separate in my opinion. Game should do crazy sales, 30 million lifetime.

UrbanRats

development + marketing.

Wasn't GTA4 100 millions on development alone? Doesn't seem incredibly over that, if it is.

Imagine if it bombs.

MCN

Banned
Game should do crazy sales, 30 million lifetime.

I reckon it could do even better than that. Wii Sports Resort did nearly 32 million. This comes at the end of the console cycle, with a massive install base, and is already one of the most popular and beloved franchises in gaming history.

Top Bottom