• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V - review thread [Embargo 3pm BST/7am PST]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any reason to still take gaming journalism from some of these sites seriously? I'll answer that for you....NO.

Opinions and comments on the board here as just as bad as any of these reviewers. Everyone likes to try to add some super-relevance to games. Games MUST be an art form or MUST be a political/social commentary, laden with extreme misogyny or racism,. The list goes on. No one wants to actually accept what gaming is and that's an entertainment medium.

Did anyone ever clamor for a female lead in Hudson's Adventure Island? NO

Did anyone ever pick apart the interracial relationship Lolo had with Lala? NO

Come on...enjoy the game for what it is. If you people don't enjoy it, don't play it...but I doubt it's worth all the controversy. If anything, people are getting trolled hard by Rockstar in the end. I'm sure they've had meetings with the topic: "How can we rile people up?"

DigitalOp

Banned
There is a post a few pages back where a poster is claiming this game will be the greatest game to ever exist. The hype is metastasizing.

This is beyond the realm of dumb.

Its shit like this that makes me embarrassed to call myself a part of the gaming community. I don't want to be associated or represent such an absolute juvenile subsection of users.. I don't want to be falsely branded as one of those people...

I don't get it... These are adults right??

I wonder how many people making fun of Sessler's Dickens quote have actually read Dickens in any real critical way.

There's nothing wrong with that quote. He's just saying that like Dickens' work is a window into that time period GTAV will be a window into ours one day. That's...true. It will be a very interesting work to look at for someone 100 or 200 years from now. It seems to be quite the cultural time capsule of 2010-2013 in terms of tone.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's stupid when every time a great game looks to be coming out, they just dump a 10 on it. They don't seem selective at all about it anymore.

I'm not disagreeing there. I am sitting back seeing what I see and it certainly looks worthy of a high score but I still have to temper my expectations so reading some stuff makes me shake my head a little.

Adam Sessler seems like a stand-up bloke but his flowery prose can sometimes be a little much--I imagine the review was written with a pen quill under dim light in an underground poet's den. Not to discount his talent, of course, or the (dare I say) 'need' for better writing in games press...but at some point he just seems like he's showing off.

mf luder

I like GTA but I never feel the need to keep playing them after a while and the next game with improved mechanics comes along it will not age well so giving them 10 seems pointless. I would give wonderful 101 or mario galaxy a better score because the are so replayable.

Alienous

It doesn't work as good if you're not scanning your thesaurus that you have sitting next to your work PC.

Grand Theft Auto V, unequivocally, represents the peak of human creation. The epitome of human achievement. In centuries to come, as our bones are dragged from beneath the Earth, we will be heralded as the generation that lived to see this moment. A creation, so integral to the foundations of human society, it makes the wheel look trivial by comparison.

... uh... to learn?

Knowledge isn't really an end goal. You attain to be able to apply it.

But you're probably right.

Satirical game full of morally reprehensible characters also contains morally reprehensible portrayals of different types of people (race, sexual orientation, gender)?

I'm pretty sure that is one of the selling points for the series.

It is meant to be somewhat funny but also somewhat thought-provoking so the player reflects on how screwed up society is by seeing the exaggerated portrayal of it. Maybe it does a poor job of this. I won't know til I play it. The fact that the entire series is about being a criminal (often reaping the monetary reward of it) and going off the kind of satire evident on the GTA V website (and previous games) I find it hard to believe the game isn't making it's intention blatantly clear.

Some people watch a comedy act and laugh at it until it hits close to home for them. Some people keep on laughing. Others never laughed at all and are only there because their friend dragged them to the show (which they would have never voluntarily attended).

You know you're going to be disappointed either way, might as well get it over with sooner.
Sigh. I know, I know. I'm just a sucker for the promise of a well executed, simulated, "living breathing world", and GTAs "seems" to be replete with wacky, fun shit. I just wish the past games actually compelled me to do something other than goof around in these sandboxes; the mission structure has always been really dull and tedious to me

Reminiscent of 2008 and GTA IV - bunch of reviews scored it a 10/10.
3-6 months later, after the hype had died down, major failings of the title were being discussed and questioned the 'reasonableness' of the 10/10 ratings.

I'm curious to see how the present case will play out.
Looking forward to playing GTA V in a few days.

Himself

Stupid GTA reality distortion field. I KNOW I ought to wait it out for some sort of equalization and consensus to form here on GAF, as I've never actually enjoyed past GTAs, but the hype is undeniable and I've got money to burn :l

I fell for it with GTAIV and RDR...both crap games. I won't fall for it again!

Waiting for people with similar tastes to give it a go first, then waiting for PS4 version, then waiting for it to hit around $20 or so. I'm immune to hype.

Nokterian

Like the review from the escapist pretty honest. Others to mutch hyperbole not faling in the same trap again like i did with GTA 4. Not gonna buy something for old hardware anymore.

ironcreed

Banned
Grand Theft Auto V, unequivocally, represents the peak of human creation. The epitome of human achievement. In centuries to come, as our bones are dragged from beneath the earth, we will be heralded as the generation that lived to see this moment. A creation, so integral to the foundations of human society, it makes the wheel look trivial by comparison.

LOL

Adam Sessler seems like a stand-up bloke, but his flowery prose can sometimes be a little much--I imagine the review was written with a pen quill under dim light in an underground poet's den. Not to discount his talent, of course, or the (dare I say) 'need' for better writing in games press...but at some point he just seems like he's showing off.

This. I appreciate the level of detail he goes into but I can't see many people being able to follow what he's saying. I'm an english major and I sometimes think, you really couldn't have said that another way?

jett

D-Member
Sure but this one looks to be worthy of a high score. I really have no expectations but this looks much better than GTA4. That's all I can go by but I'm not buying into all the hyperbole I read in the spoiler thread and some of these reviews.

Whether it's worthy or not, IGN has more than discredited themselves with all their bullshit GTA5 "articles". Advertorials are more subtle.

I wonder how many people making fun of Sessler's Dickens quote have actually read Dickens in any real critical way.

There's nothing wrong with that quote. He's just saying that like Dickens' work is a window into that time period GTAV will be a window into ours one day. That's...true. It will be a very interesting work to look at for someone 100 or 200 years from now. It seems to be quite the cultural time capsule of 2010-2013 in terms of tone.

Most gamers are not the type to having read Dickens. They would laugh and say, "LOL! HE HAS DICK IN HIS NAME!" Talking about average COD people here.
Although, if Sessler's flowery prose can elevate the station of gaming culture then I welcome it.

WarMacheen

I fell for it with GTAIV and RDR...both crap games. I won't fall for it again!

Waiting for people with similar tastes to give it a go first, then waiting for PS4 version, then waiting for it to hit around $20 or so. I'm immune to hype.

I'll give you GTAIV, but RDR...no, nope...no

Jake-Gyllenhaal-shaking-head_zps4f0ffa26.gif

This type of shit should be bannable . Seriously... Why can't a women pick out something in a game that insults her if it's about her. This isn't a "man" game industry. If I as a woman have a problem with how my sex is portrayed in a game on mere stereotype, I will point it out. This stuff really disgusts me.
I was typing a response but deleted it because people are being banned for not supporting feminist bullshit.

fijim

Banned
Whatever your feelings about the quality of satire in GTA games, you have to concede that yes, it is in fact satire. The things the reviewer complains about, the ads and stuff, are clearly intended as such.

So the GTA writers had to first identify troublesome aspects of society in order to send them up. In other words, they're agreeing with the reviewer that these things are bad.

GTA is indeed satire, but at the same time it does glorify violence, crime, hedonism, materialism, greed, objectifying women.... etc and it does not just do these things as some sort of social commentary meant to invoke serious thought. it does them because their audience finds it fun and it sells games.

While GTA does poke fun at a number of silly things in American culture, it also sells itself on things that are in reality much worse.

In the end it is just a video game, it is meant to be fun. I think people take these things too seriously.

46w500

Banned
That's fair criticism, but it's not my point, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're offended by the way humain beings are portrayed, not men in particular, while some critics and users seem to be only put off by the way women are portrayed in the game world, ignoring that men, places (Statue of Happiness in IV, for instance) and the society as a whole are depicted in a similarly (perhaps grossly) sterotypical, satirical way.
Well, yeah, you are on point. I do take it all as a whole and from a humanity standpoint, however one could easily make the argument that angry and violent men is misogynistic.

hawk2025

The game can't be, at the same time, an exaggerated and satirical portrayal of today's society and a window into the culture of 2010-2013. If it's the former, by definition it cannot be an accurate portrayal of the second.

This is from the gamespot petition page

Supporters

Reasons for signing

Barack Obama WASHINGTON, DC about 1 hour ago Liked 7

People like this are worse than Hitler. They drone harder than my drones, and that's pretty hard to do because my drones are all over the world. So says Barack Obama, ruler of Earth

Jokes aside, she should have just reviewed the game on it's merits and flaws, if it was her opinion that the game is misogynistic she could have written a blog article about it

Zeth

It's like if the film industry or Roger Ebert gave 5 stars to three or four Oscar front-runners every year, and called each of them one of the greatest films ever made.

Himself

I'll give you GTAIV, but RDR...no, nope...no

I'd give GTAIV a 5/10 and RDR a 6/10. Sure RDR was an improvement, but still not a very good game. IMO, of course.

Then again, I don't like Rockstar's story telling or their gameplay so I'm not really sure what it is I hope they create someday anyway.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I hope Carolyn was ready for this. Due to her sexual orientation, this shit was going to happen no matter what score she gave to this (a high profile) game.

I'm a moderator over there, and we see it every time she reviews a game. It makes it hard to notice valid criticisms of her reviews because so much of the feedback is coming from hateful backward idiots.

antitrop

It's like if the film industry or Roger Ebert gave 5 stars to three or four Oscar front-runners every year, and called each of them one of the greatest films ever made.
I think that The Last of Us is one of the best games ever made. I think GTA III is one of the best games ever made. I think Vice City and San Andreas are some of the best games ever made. I think GTA V might be one of the best games ever made, when I get to play it.

Sometimes labels are deserved.

So, you're going to dismiss a very valid stance on the excessive sex and violence in a video game?

I don't think it should be dismissed, just mis-trusted. it's GTA and every time on of these games comes out someone tries to use it as a personal soapbox. I think lots of people want to tear Jack Trenton a new hole every time he says these things, but coming out of a game reviews it becomes untouchable and un-debatable.
Getting what you should expect isn't a reason to throw away the complaint, but if you already had the complaints ready to go before you even touch the game, you should just let someone else review it.

This is from the gamespot petition page

Supporters

Reasons for signing

Barack Obama WASHINGTON, DC about 1 hour ago Liked 7

People like this are worse than Hitler. They drone harder than my drones, and that's pretty hard to do because my drones are all over the world. So says Barack Obama, ruler of Earth

Jokes aside, she should have just reviewed the game on it's merits and flaws, if it was her opinion that the game is misogynistic she could have written a blog article about it

That wouldn't be a particularly accurate review though, would it?

At the end of the day, the review is still well written and explores the game. She may have included her own personal thoughts on certain themes exhibited, but I don't think that's really of any detriment to the overall piece - if anything it's a positive.

I've got to be honest, as tired as a lot of this "misogyny" discussion has gotten, it's nice to see that as the main focus as opposed to GTA apparently inspiring mass murder. Progress is progress I guess, even if many of them still missed the point (based on what I've seen, at least).

Grand Theft Auto V, unequivocally, represents the peak of human creation. The epitome of human achievement. In centuries to come, as our bones are dragged from beneath the Earth, we will be heralded as the generation that lived to see this moment. A creation, so integral to the foundations of human society, it makes the wheel look trivial by comparison.

Knowledge isn't really an end goal. You attain to be able to apply it.

But you're probably right.

That sounds like a high school senior trying too hard. That isn't what I get from Sessler's writing or comparisons at all.

DigitalOp

Banned
A part of me really dislikes the overblown GTA hype. Reviews such as these paint the picture that there's nothing like the GTA series, quality-wise, in the entire industry. I've got my copy of GTA V preordered and I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on the game, but it just baffles me that this series gets these kinds of reviews every. damn. time. It's unfair to a lot of other great games out there which may be just as great as GTA, but they don't ever get this kind of enthusiasm from reviewers.

Wholeheartedly agree 400%

Idk if it was GTA3 that created the monster but while these games are standouts in their own right, they shouldn't be catapulted to some unreachable mythical status that no other game is capable of reaching... They aren't literary pieces, they're still games..

Jawmuncher

The escapist review reminds me of how I felt playing LA Noire. I hated every character in that game that it made me angry. But besides that ill still give GTAV a go. It can't be worse than 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom