• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V starts to remove music

LordCBH

I don't understand why a lifetime music deal can't made, it's not like anything else having music in a video game. Movies get re-released with old music in 4k many years later, are they having to resign music deals?

Despite raking in billions on this game, rockstar and take two are cheap bastards.

junguler

Banned
i'm not gonna pretend this is going to effect me but regardless, it's a dick move. it's not their first time either, they did the same thing with san andreas and iv too.

YCoCg

Nothing new, they have done this many times in GTAV. Some song were replaced, different version added or just removed.

Old news..
This is actually the first time they've removed music from GTAV. You might be confusing this with them removing music from Vice City, San Andreas and GTA IV in the past. Up til now, GTAV and GTAO had music added (and one tracked changed because they used the wrong remix).

BigBooper

I still can't get over how they butchered gta 4.
IMO purchases made before music expired, should honor it.
My 2009 steam gta4 is gone. the game I've paid for is no more
I agree. Someone should sue, but who's really gonna spend the time and money to sue for something so petty?

420bits

Despite raking in billions on this game, rockstar and take two are cheap bastards.
Possibly, but it could also be that the owners of the music felt like they wanted a bigger piece of the pie when it was up for renewal and asked for way to much and R* said no.

Miles708

I agree. Someone should sue, but who's really gonna spend the time and money to sue for something so petty?
that's not really petty, that's content that's been paid for. If you take it out, I demand a percentage of my money back.

Other than that, online and offline sections must be separated and there's no reason to have the offline portion to follow the online gaas portion content shenanigans.

This is crap in any way one wants to frame it.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Rockstar literally swimming in cash too busy to put out a remastered a game for a full year after next gen and now too poor to renew a music license on said cash cow. Please.

BigBooper

that's not really petty, that's content that's been paid for. If you take it out, I demand a percentage of my money back.

Other than that, online and offline sections must be separated and there's no reason to have the offline portion to follow the online gaas portion content shenanigans.

This is crap in any way one wants to frame it.
Oh yea, I agree, but are you going to go out and talk to a lawyer about getting a class action going?

This not as bad as what becomes of the Forza Horizon games. If you don't buy them before their licensing deals expire you might not ever get to play them. They all have a life-span due to the licensing they need to have in place for both music and cars. Music and car licensing is legal quagmire. I think the two compete to see which one is worse overall.

I wish it was a simple job to just remove the songs and vehicles that are an issue but I doubt it's as simple as that.

JLB

Banned
Surely all the money they've made from the game they could easily afford to relicense the soundtrack. Especially as the game will no doubt be around for another 8+ years.

Will be around for another 8+ years on the videogame top 10 charts.
Probably a good couple of decades up and running.

I don't see any problem now because it's just 1 song. Let's hope they don't remove songs from the PS5/XS versions just 2 years after launch.

Miles708

Oh yea, I agree, but are you going to go out and talk to a lawyer about getting a class action going?

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

Woggleman

How come they can release movies and the songs never expire but with games they have to be removed? Also they did the same to Vice City and San Andreas so it is not because of online.

Miles708

Seriously fuck rockstar.

I can’t get how people think it’s not a big deal. The original game should be honoured. They have the cash for it.
This is also a problem with how the licenses work, it shouldn't be necessary to renew licenses to sell the same game, even if untouched. That means any license at all (a music, a logo, even a third party tool at this point) is a time bomb for your product.

When people say that digital delivery requires much more effort to maintain than retail delivery, this is also what they mean.

The issue is, the new stuff doesn't fit into the story mode that's set in 2013, so either the new music is Online exclusive (currently 4 radio stations are GTAO only) or it get thrown into a playlist where it feels out of place.
I hear that. I guess we will have to place the removed songs into Self Radio if we want them back. tbh I think this is why the Self Radio feature was created back in GTA IV because they knew that this day would come when Music licences would expire.

It's just the way the world works with stone age licence agreements. Its an issue with the Music industry than it is with Rockstar games that attempted to embrace quality music and incorporate it into their games.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
I ripped the music off of my PS2 copies of those and Vice City Stories and run them through Simple Music Player on Xbox. I haven’t listened to the music on GTA IV or V for years, and instead I listen to Flash FM and Emotion 98.3 almost exclusively.
Fernando is a genius

Stuart360

You would of thought with the ridiculous success of this game, and the huge amount of money GTA Online makes, they could of renued the licenses.
I suppose it doesnt really matter, but it sounds a bit cheap.

Top Bottom