• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto VI Will Have Female Main Character for First Time In Series' History (scheduled for FY 2024/2023, taking place in Vice City)

Stuart360

Well for me it depends how th female character is portrayed (check my post at the top).
I think it would be cool if we got like someone else said, the baddie female from the Dredd movie. Or a female marine coming back from a mulit year tour of duty abroad. Or even a Walter White style characer where we get a pretty straight down the middle housewife style characeter who gets into crime for reasons. I could find those intersting. Any of this blue haired woke nonsense, well i'm out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so torn on the GTA series lately. Have a female lead would be a nice addition to the series, but between Rockstar pulling away from some of the goofiness that built the GTA empire and real life being far stranger than anything they can put in the game, I'm not sure what's left to even satirize.
What’s with the revisionist history claiming the corny humor was the best thing about GTA? It was never that funny, and the best part was always the open world and attention to detail.

Smiggs

Well what else is it?, they even admit it in the article (well they dont say 'woke', but you get what i mean).
It's one article. I have a real hard time believing they would change basically everything that people love about GTA just to appeal to a vocal minority. Yeah, I can see them cutting back on clowning on minorities, but I have no doubt it will be full of the depravities we've come to expect from GTA.

Now if Rockstar confirms this info? Then just vote with your wallet. Until then, let's not freak out.

ManaByte

What’s with the revisionist history claiming the corny humor was the best thing about GTA? It was never that funny, and the best part was always the open world and attention to detail.
Bullshit. GTA became what it was due to the biting humor the Housers infused the games with. This is going to be a boring sanitized open world completely safe for the snowflakes on Twitter and Twitch and anything they find that remotely offends them will be immediately patched out.

Deerock71

So, who correctly called it? A franchise that sold more games with it's last iteration that had THREE male leads definitely needed a female lead this time. Yup.

Looks like the wax wings flew a little too close to the sun there, Icarus.

Last edited:
New Gta protags

a88iWnE.jpg
qzjHNHC.jpg

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I wonder what happens when you go pick up prostitues when playing as the female character?

Ellery

Same as always I will judge the final product.

In all honesty I am somewhat pessimistic about the future of GTA since many important people left and there seems to be a change of direction that I don't agree with, but if the game turns out to be above my expectations then that would make me happy

Metnut

Totally cool with playing as a Latin woman in Miami for half the game. If the game only has sanitized woke humor though I likely won’t bother with it.

No source mentioned. Why does everyone act like this is confirmed news? This is based on very old leaks and most likely nonsense.

Also if this is true: "Developers are also being cautious not to “punch down” by making jokes about marginalized groups, the people said, in contrast with previous Grand Theft Auto games."

Woke Theft Auto

Stafford

Am I reading this wrong or is she just part of the group of leading characters? Meaning we'll be switching between protagonists again? I sure as fuck hope so because I'm sorry if this sounds....whatever....that would suck, big time, putting it mildly, if I'm reading it wrong. In GTA I simply like to play as a dude. If we'll indeed be switching again it's fine with me but if she's the one and only playable character....not a fan.

And I fear for the culture changes there and what it's doing to the franchise. Keep the goddamn satire as it is, but no, can't do that. We can't have this "toxic" shit nowadays. I dreaded the day that this would happen for GTA and while it's not out yet, I am fearing the worst.

Last edited:
Bullshit. GTA became what it was due to the biting humor the Housers infused the games with. This is going to be a boring sanitized open world completely safe for the snowflakes on Twitter and Twitch and anything they find that remotely offends them will be immediately patched out.
What about GTA’s humor is biting to you? You’re acting like world class comedy was on display in any of those games. Can’t you even point out examples of something that wouldn’t make it in GTA VI potentially? Stop defending garbage.

Saber

Gold Member
Came to watch some dudes get mad awkward because they don't think women can be lead characters, and I'm not disappointed.

I'm fine with women if they are akin to all characters in GTA game(you know, dirty people, aways doing shit, worst of human, fuck kills everybody, etc).

But if its the current trend of just using her to spit men(generic male vs female) just to appease guys like you, then its gonna be trash.

Last edited:
It's not just humor, but over the top goofy satire versus the more serious storytelling and world building of something like the Red Dead series.

Soodanim

Curious about how the Bonnie and Clyde thing plays out, although based on the series' moves away from the PS2 trilogy I very much doubt that I'll be playing it. I didn't finish 5.

dugdug

Banned
Protag sounds good, but, it's clear RDR2 was the curtain call on R* as a legendary developer.

This game will take forever to come out and still be a disappointment. The identity is kind of dated by now, but, strip that, and it becomes like any other open world game. Guarantee that investors will see all these changes as a net loss.

It dont bother me, theres plenty of other things they can take the piss out of, like leftest insider trading like pelosi, or leftest military spending etc etc
I'd like an Alex Jones parody. Or the main character can start the game by doing a black market self-abortion and dumping the cut up mass of flesh on the steps of a church for adoption. All kinds of great content possibilities.

It's not just humor, but over the top goofy satire versus the more serious storytelling and world building of something like the Red Dead series.
Not everyone/everything needs to be satirized. Some people just want to play a game without seeing themselves made into some sort of comic relief.

It dont bother me, theres plenty of other things they can take the piss out of, like leftest insider trading like pelosi, or leftest military spending etc etc
Well, they used to make fun of the extremes on both sides. Now one side won't get joked about anymore, because that would be "punching down" or something and at the same time they're gonna act as if some poor right-wing hillbilly has any power in society.

Last edited:

Kabelly

they're gonna make sure not to offend all the whiny white republicans. it'd be too easy to make them the butt of the joke. Florida writes their own satire.

Sosokrates

The over the top satire in gta5 was ok across party lines.

The spoiled teen son with issues or the crazy redneck or the midlife crisis middle-class white guy are not triggering the left or the right. Ironically the out the ghetto black guy seemed the most mentally stable.

All this kind of satire would be fine by both sides now.

Strategize

Protag sounds good, but, it's clear RDR2 was the curtain call on R* as a legendary developer.

This game will take forever to come out and still be a disappointment. The identity is kind of dated by now, but, strip that, and it becomes like any other open world game. Guarantee that investors will see all these changes as a net loss.
The idenity is irrlevent to investors. As long as there's an online mode that makes millions of 12 year olds wanna use their moms credit card to buy shark cards, the humor and satire doesn't matter to them.

intbal

I'm glad I checked out after San Andreas.
I have nothing but good memories of the GTA series, and I'll just keep it that way.

Dane

The problem is not a female protagonist, it was getting rid of the "frat boy culture" for a "progressive" enviroment we all know what's stand for, and reinforcing that with the "transphobic jokes" removal in the next gen versions of GTA V.

Pack it up boys, this franchise is gone.

Sosokrates

Well, they used to make fun of the extremes on both sides. Now one side won't get joked about anymore, because that would be "punching down" or something and at the same time they're gonna act as if some poor right-wing hillbilly has any power in society.
It will. There just wont be any transphobic or homophobic stuff. I dont think there was any of that in GTA5, so nothing is really changing.

Top Bottom