• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Miami) and III (re3) have been ported to New 3DS

stranno

re3 and Miami were open-source decompilations of Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City respectively. They were released for PC in mid-2020, and then ported to Switch and Vita. The original project is currently on halt due a DMCA strike from Take-Two, owners of Rockstar Games, but a few days ago a developer called AJM ported them to 3DS.

3DS is not nearly as powerful as Vita, so dont expect the same level of performance. Pica200 GPU is really crappy and the I/O performance is probably one of the slowest ever seen in any handheld. Curren WIP is playable on GTA3 and not really there on GTAVC. Port also suffers from blending issues, stability problems and other minor glitches. Only N3DS is currently supported and there are no plans for o3DS.

Last edited:
wait this got ported to vita and switch? (I could care less about 3ds as this isn't the type of game i would play on that system anyway).
Don't you mean a homebrew port not official? None of us can go to the eshop and buy these games.

I don't see why rockstar doesn't just port these over officially. Hell the switch could run them gta 3,vice , and san andreas. Possibly even gta4.

Max_Po

Banned
20 year old game .. ported to 20 year old hardware....

tenor.gif

checked the footage..

tenor.gif

Last edited:
pretty cool considering the hardware.....you would wonder why take 2 even bother wasting money on trying to block stuff like this as its pretty much unplayable

Soodanim

pretty cool considering the hardware.....you would wonder why take 2 even bother wasting money on trying to block stuff like this as its pretty much unplayable
I think they sort of have to, it discourages people in the future from touching their stuff and leaves it unambiguous. Money won’t be much of a concern to Take Two, given Rockstar’s profits.

stranno

wait this got ported to vita and switch? (I could care less about 3ds as this isn't the type of game i would play on that system anyway).
Don't you mean a homebrew port not official? None of us can go to the eshop and buy these games.
Yes, it was the first console port of the project and the base for this 3DS port (it shows the Switch button prompts). Unfortunately Graber, the author of the port, never updated it and there are some issues, but it runs pretty fine.

Vita ports are the only in development right now, but it seems that Rinnegatamante and TheFloW are waiting to see how the legal thing sorts out.

Last edited:

Kupfer

This looks like I nostalgically remember Driver 2. Nice vibes, I somehow like the raw look of this port.

The Vita ports work great btw.

Last edited:

stranno

This looks like I nostalgically remember Driver 2. Nice vibes, I somehow like the raw look of this port.

The Vita ports work great btw.
Driver 2 has also been decompiled and there's an open-source port for PC, with many improvements.

It will probably receive Vita/3DS/Switch ports in the future, once it gets more "portable" to other platforms.

Yes, it was the first console port of the project and the base for this 3DS port (it shows the Switch button prompts). Unfortunately Graber, the author of the port, never updated it and there are some issues, but it runs pretty fine.

Vita ports are the only in development right now, but it seems that Rinnegatamante and TheFloW are waiting to see how the legal thing sorts out.

if they port GTA V to vita that will be the day i mod my vita

stranno

It looks more like a DS game to me...
It has DS vibe in terms of resolution, after all 3DS has 240p screens.

But definitely not in terms of graphics. COP The Recruit could be the game with the best engine on DS, being a Velez and Dubail masterpiece, probably the skillest developers ever Nintendo had in their handhelds, and still it has like 10 or 20 times less geometry than Grand Theft Auto III or VC. This port has exactly the same geometry as the PC game.

Last edited:

stranno

The Vita is not powerful enough to run GTV
People sometimes forget Vita is basically on par with the iPhone 5, same SOC, just 1 extra core (not used in games anyway) and much lower clocks.

Imagine GTAV running on an iPhone 5. The most powerful sandbox it ran was probably Gangstar 2 or 3.

CamHostage

That's super impressive that they could port this down. New 3DS has some more oomph than it gets credit for (the more advanced chipset was rarely used, and realistically, the 3DS in general was rarely pushed by developers; the launch-period Resident Evil Revelations is one of it's most "console quality" games,) but it's still lower on power, and not that easy to harness either. There are lots of graphical glitches in these GTA 3DS ports right now (and the framerate seems to chug hard in cutscenes, oddly, is that because the character animation is more complex or what could be the weight on that?,) but the gameplay looks good enough in GTA3 and close to playable in VC. If it's possible to alter the graphic settings a bit to fit the New 3DS's power and way of doing things (easier said than done, according to the project developer,) these could be really nice ways of playing these games.

3DS (New or otherwise) really doesn't have a lot of these open-world games, and the few that did get made still are in some ways below GTA3. There's good things in the speed and weight of Driver Renegade, but it's much boxier city design in the engine, and LEGO City Undercover for 3DS lets you drive around but it has a very narrow draw distance and apparently is simplified (never played it myself) over the WiiU original.

Last edited:

CamHostage

People sometimes forget Vita is basically on par with the iPhone 5, same SOC, just 1 extra core (not used in games anyway) and much lower clocks.

Imagine GTAV running on an iPhone 5. The most powerful sandbox it ran was probably Gangstar 2 or 3.

I never played the Gangstar games, but they were up there in terms of mobile tech. (Gameloft had a history of really pushing phones with "console-quality" graphic techniques... and then, they also made games with those graphics too, I guess?) They put money into their phone games, and when you played them, you realized where they ended up skimping (even without the MTX, Gameloft gameplay always screamed phone-quality to me, plus all the auto-triggering and rubberbanding to make cool shit happen more often in order to make up for unwieldy touch-for-buttons controls,) but some of the games were actually good and no matter what, the impressive engines made them look like they would be good games.

It's too bad that Gameloft ran out of interest quickly with Vita and 3DS. (They did an Asphalt for both plus a Dungeon Hunter on Vita, but that was about it I think?) I think ports of their games could have been welcome on these platforms, and GameLoft had a lot of the console'ish franchises (clones, really) in genres that ended up being underserved on these two platform.

This is Gangstar Vegas from 2013, so from around that time, and it ran on an iPhone 4 even. I never played it, but it looks to me somewhere in between the PS2-era GTAs and the PS3-era GTAs, with modern effects and character modeling but I'm guessing a lot less environment detail and polygon budget. (It basically looks like a Vice City engine on steroids at first glance.)

So I don't know if this is any indication whether GTAV could have scaled all the way down to a Vita much less 3DS (there's an experiment where somebody cranked GTA5 to super-low settings.) But eh, none of that happened and so I'm fucking sad about my Vita and 3DS all over again! Long live the Switch, at least...

Last edited:
Top Bottom