• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grant Kirkhope turned down by Retro Studios [Update: Hired by Spark Unlimited]

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
That's sad, i love the musics from the good old Rare games. I replayed Banjo Kazooie and Perfect Dark recently and the music is still just as good as back then.

If only Rare was still the same... if only... Nintendo should have tried to save them rather than sell them if there was trouble with the developper.

2 hours, 11 minutes, 35 seconds.

Grant Kirkhope: "I think Rare have completely fucked themselves. And - it isn't their fault; it's Microsoft's fault. They have completely ruined that company, and it makes me cry every day of my life."

Not exactly much need to "read between the lines" there.

Bisnic

2 hours, 11 minutes, 35 seconds.

Grant Kirkhope: "I think Rare have completely fucked themselves. And - it isn't their fault; it's Microsoft's fault. They have completely ruined that company, and it makes me cry every day of my life."

Not exactly much need to "read between the lines" there.

Damn you Microsoft (and Nintendo too for abandoning Rare), look what you have done, making a man cry for a company he loved.

Nintendo, do the good thing and get this guy back with you. He needs a hug. And im sure he would love to do another Donkey Kong Country soundtrack. Do it for him and your fans!

Damn you Microsoft (and Nintendo too for abandoning Rare), look what you have done, making a man cry for a company he loved.

Nintendo, do the good thing and get this guy back with you. He needs a hug. And im sure he would love to do another Donkey Kong Country soundtrack. Do it for him and your fans!

Nintendo aren't guilty of anything. Microsoft bought a 51% stake in the company from the Stamper brothers, and so it really wasn't beneficial for Nintendo to keep their 49%, so they sold.

LeleSocho

Banned
Former Rare composer, who went to work on Kingdoms of Amalur I believe. Thus, no job.

:O
They turned him down? DAMN! Their loss for sure...

If i had a software house the first thing i would do is to try to hire every old Rare composer starting from David Wise.

Rare's soul must find a new body.

chuckie%20angry.png_thumb.jpg

I hate to say it but I now think that Rare would have been better off under Activision.

Nah they would already be shut down by now.

Bisnic

:O
They turned him down? DAMN! Their loss for sure...

If i had a software house the first thing i would do is to try to hire every old Rare composer starting from David Wise.

They're simply not hiring at the moment... hopefully they will contact him once they need more people.

disap.ed

Nintendo doesn't need just Kirkhops but a whole european studio, I really miss the days of Rare dominance like in the N64 days :(

The 2 games Retro does every gen just aren't enough western blood.

remnant

Banned

I'm sure he can't wait to work on underpowered hardware

Bisnic

Think twice about what you just said.

He compose music. Underpowered hardware or not, why should he care? Xenoblade have one of the best soundtrack i've heard in the last years. Man, that underpowered hardware sure hurted right?

Plus the Wii U wont be as much underpowered as the Wii compared to the competition, so whatever.

Thanks for your contribution to this thread! Disregarding the fact that hardware limitations have no impact on audio composers, your completely irrelevant potshot at Nintendo is an asset to this discussion!

disap.ed

Thanks for your contribution to this thread! Disregarding the fact that hardware limitations have no impact on audio composers, your completely irrelevant potshot at Nintendo is an asset to this discussion!

That's not true. Maybe in this day and age, but definitely not in 8/16 bit times (even N64 was still lacking in this department).

KevinCow

Banned
Hasnt retro always done fine in the audio department?

His talents could help other studios much more.

True. I think it would just be neat to have him working closely with Nintendo again is all.

Still, while I have total faith in Retro's musical capabilities, Dave Wise on DKCR2 is a must. Even if it's just a one-off thing and they're not hiring him on a permanent staff.

That's not true. Maybe in this day and age, but definitely not in 8/16 bit times (even N64 was still lacking in this department).

I'm well aware of that; it's not like you could get orchestrated pieces on a Spectrum. That really should go without saying.

apana

Composer of Banjo-Kazooie, DK64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Viva Pinata

<3

Some great games, wish Retro could work on Banjo Kazooie. The game would be so perfect for them, they could reallly take it to new heights. Iwata didn't want to give up the Banjo IP but Nintendo execs didn't want to put up a fight seeing as how the Rare deal was very good for them.

Nintendo doesn't need just Kirkhops but a whole european studio, I really miss the days of Rare dominance like in the N64 days :(

The 2 games Retro does every gen just aren't enough western blood.

It might benefit Nintendo to expand NST a bit by hiring some of the core talent from Rare (thinking Wise, Kirkhope, etc). OR Monster Games should expand a bit and get some of these talented guys. I love Monster and think they could be Nintendo's best chance to fill in the gaps with solid games.

True. I think it would just be neat to have him working closely with Nintendo again is all.

Still, while I have total faith in Retro's musical capabilities, Dave Wise on DKCR2 is a must. Even if it's just a one-off thing and they're not hiring him on a permanent staff.
It wasn't just Wise who did the DKC soundtrack. It was also Eveline Fischer. In fact, she did some of the best tracks in the game.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I can't believe this. Kirkhope is one of the best musicians in the whole buisness. Retro is insane. Even if they have enough music staff, you can't turn down Kirkhope.....

It wasn't just Wise who did the DKC soundtrack. It was also Eveline Fischer. In fact, she did some of the best tracks in the game.

She also did the majority of DKC3, I think Robin Beanland also did some stuff on DKC (he worked on Conker and Jet Force Gemini).
But the best soundtrack that was DKC2 was an entirely Dave Wise outing I think.

KevinCow

Banned
Grant Kirkhope is great.

But come on. Retro's sound team gave us stuff like this and this and this and this.

I think Retro's gonna do fine without him, and he'll undoubtedly find a great job elsewhere.

Vire

FULL UP?

YOU MAKE ROOM FOR FUCKING GRANT KIRKHOPE.

Christ...

Viva Pinata's OST is a work of art.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo SPD Sound Team does all the music for Retro Studios games so far. Nintendo SPD is the production and co-development team in charge of all Retro Studios games right now. They really don't feel like paying the dude.

And he's officially working on a new game!

Well would you believe it, as of today I'm officially on contract, writing music and making sound design for a game ....... !!!!

And guess who noticed the tweet?

Martin Hollis!

Top Bottom