• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graph-Age: Worldwide NDS & PSP cumulative monthly sales & shipments by region!

Roders5 said:
The only people who seem to disagree are the people who live in germany! Look, its not that important and there doesn't seem to be an 'official' list, but it seems quite clear to me that the majority of people and resources think of germany as being included in 'western europe'.

My initial point was that I didn't know what "Western Europe" meant in this context. Therefore I asked Sonycowboy what it meant (perhaps there was a * behind Western Europe and it was explained whatever it means, European Union, European Union + certain countries, certain countries or whatever), but unfortunately he didn't react. So I tried to come up with some kind of explanation because it really doesn't make any sense to think that the European Union (+ Switzerland) is only making up about 55% of all sales of the PAL regions (considering the income in these other territories, considering their GDP etc.). There are certainly different definitions of Western, Central, Eastern etc. Europe, but unless we are somehow back in the 80's something like "Central Europe" obviously doesn't exist and I really don't know which countries should belong to it if not atleast Germany, Switzerland, Austria and a few countries east of these. It's of course debatable if these countries in fact shouldn't belong to Western Europe because they share the same political systems, history or whatever, but generally speaking west and east are still of geographical nature and should make some sense. It really doesn't make sense that the Baltic countries are in Western Europe.

Shiggy

Square2005 said:
The PSP graph on the first page has been updated. Now we're down to 4 million in inventory. PAL has now sold more then NA.

I have doubts about your PSP numbers for Europe, as they definetly are not that close to the DS numbers as shown there. In two of the biggest markets, Germany and France it's more than half a million, and as we know DS just broke the 5 million line in August

Shiggy said:
I have doubts about your PSP numbers for Europe, as they definetly are not that close to the DS numbers as shown there. In two of the biggest markets, Germany and France it's more than half a million, and as we know DS just broke the 5 million line in August

PAL is not just Europe as sonycowboy pointed out and I'm going to revise the PAL sales for NDS to 5.62m (from an official source, I believe) so it'll still be higher than PSP.

jarrod

Banned
Square2005 said:
PAL is not just Europe as sonycowboy pointed out and I'm going to revise the PAL sales for NDS to 5.62m (from an official source, I believe) so it'll still be higher than PSP.
Only 100k higher? Come now... even SCB admits to DS spanking PSP in basically every market, shouldn't the numbers reflect that? :)

Also, are you going to account for potential DS Korean figures. NCL just set up shop there, but Daiwon's been officially distributing the platform in South Korea for over a year now...

F#A#Oo

Banned
Square2005 said:
The PSP graph on the first page has been updated. Now we're down to 4 million in inventory. PAL has now sold more then NA.

Hmm...I dunno about your PAL numbers but meh...

We'll have to wait till TGS or something for more info...

The most interesting period will be after the holiday season has finished...:D

Wouldn't it make more sense to just take what we have (NPD, Media Create, PR for Europe, PR for Australia + perhaps sometime a PR for Canada and/or other territories) and leave the rest. We have very solid data for the USA and Japan, we have more or less solid data for Europe (from the PRs) and we have no data at all for most of the other markets, so I thinks it's not exactly the best solution to mix good data with complete guesstimates to come to some kind of number that is definitely wrong.

Shiggy

Square2005 said:

But tell me, which of this countries would account for such high sales? Countries in Africa or Eastern Europe? For Australia we've got numbers.

There's also iQue DS ^^

Shiggy said:
But tell me, which of this countries would account for such high sales? Countries in Africa or Eastern Europe? For Australia we've got numbers.

There's also iQue DS ^^

Sales in Eastern Europe are already included in the 4.5m figure from Sony (which is talking about "throughout Europe" or sth. like that).

Frankfurter said:
Wouldn't it make more sense to just take what we have (NPD, Media Create, PR for Europe, PR for Australia + perhaps sometime a PR for Canada and/or other territories) and leave the rest. We have very solid data for the USA and Japan, we have more or less solid data for Europe (from the PRs) and we have no data at all for most of the other markets, so I thinks it's not exactly the best solution to mix good data with complete guesstimates to come to some kind of number that is definitely wrong.

The 5.5m PAL PSP no. is an official 'in the hands of Europeans' figure from Sony. It can't be too high. Unless Sony's lying...

jarrod

Banned
Shiggy said:
There's also iQue DS ^^
Actually, has PSP released in China?

Also, I believe all iQue family sales aren't included in NCL shipment figures. I'd be pretty interested in seeing how iQue, iQue GBA and iQue DS sold...

Shiggy

Frankfurter said:
Sales in Eastern Europe are already included in the 4.5m figure from Sony (which is talking about "throughout Europe" or sth. like that).

Yeah, and this is quite doubtable, as DS sold only 5.5 million (or a bit more). In which territory does the PSP sell more than DS? We know that the DS has a leap of more than 600.000 units in Germany, more than 500.000 units in France and in all the other countries in Western Europe it doesn't seem to look any different. Nintendo also sells products in Eastern, Northern, Southern and central Europe via distributors.

jarrod

Banned
Square2005 said:
The 5.5m PAL PSP no. is an official 'in the hands of Europeans' figure from Sony. It can't be too high. Unless Sony's lying...
Could be a PR slipup... similar to when Harrison made comments about PSP reaching "10 million consumers" faster than DS last year. Given regional data we've gotten from France/Spain/UK/Germany on DS versus PSP sellthrough, the gap would just have to be quite a bit wider really. Well over a million, could easily be over 2 million.

heidern

Sony 22 August 2006 said:
Since the European launch of the ‘Black’ PSP in September 2005 and the Ceramic White PSP in May 2006, PSP is now in the hands of more than 4.5 million consumers throughout Europe.

I think it is too high now. If it had outsold the DS then Sony would no doubt have sent out a crowing press release about it. Nintendo said the DS passed 5M on the 11th of July meaning ~1.3M sold in the 5 months since January. They also announced it was averaging 140K a week sometime after that so probably 5.5M in Europe alone at the end of July, more if you are including places like Australia.

For the psp, we have supposedly have 2.44M by February throughout Europe. Supposedly over 4.5M in the middle of August, probably ~4.3M by end of July. That would mean ~1.8M were sold in the 5 months since January, more than the DS sold through. To be honest something doesn't fit here. Either Sonys press release is incorrect, or the figures in February are wrong, because there's no way only 35K psps were sold in 5 months in Germany. But then we knew psp was almost 800K in the UK alone at the end of last year.

Square2005 said:

Nope, it isn't. Sony said 4.5m for Europe.

Shiggy said:
Yeah, and this is quite doubtable, as DS sold only 5.5 million (or a bit more). In which territory does the PSP sell more than DS? We know that the DS has a leap of more than 600.000 units in Germany, more than 500.000 units in France and in all the other countries in Western Europe it doesn't seem to look any different. Nintendo also sells products in Eastern, Northern, Southern and central Europe via distributors.

DS is definitely at more than 6m right now if the PR didn't lie (5m 10 days after the DS Lite launch + an average of 140k per week for sth. like 6 weeks + whatever it continued to sell after that).

The New DS graph:
233014347_7eebc3c3f1_o.png

21.51m sold WW as of July.
Even tho 21.27m were shipped by the end of June.

Shiggy

I think in your PAL DS numbers the Australian sales do miss. Reports said that the DS Lite even let explode the DS sales over there.

Square2005 said:
Oh yeah, you're right.
Well then we're back to 5.5m unsold...

Actually I'll put it back at 5.06m for PAL w/ch leaves 4.5m unsold. Seems about right, I think the only person to object is sonycowboy.

BTW NDS graph updated in the first post.

chadums90

donny2112 said:
Try telling someone in Texas that they aren't part of the South. You might just get punched. ;)

Florida? Meh. "The farther south you go in Florida, the farther North you are."

I know, Donny - I'm from Florida and my two best friends are Texans. The point was for illustration. And Texas has some Southern in it, but there is a very distinct "Texan" culture that you don't see in Alabama.

donny2112

AdmiralViscen said:
I'm glad we're altering factual charts to fit the whims of the people arguing in this topic.

Homer: Yes, it's good that we did that thing. Very good.

Bart: [sees Snowball 2] Every day, same old cat. I'll make it more
interesting. [furrows his brow, turning the cat into a
multi-colored fire-breathing whatever]
Snowball: Meow. [fire breath singes the breakfast table. The cereal
box is on fire]
Bart: Ah, there. That's better.
Marge: Much better. Oh, good! The curtains are on fire.
Homer: [nervously] It's good that you made that.. awful thing, Bart.
It's real good.

UPDATED THRU OCTOBER 2006:

NDS:
298452346_c7e36b9fdf_o.png

PSP:
298452347_ef1266b11b_o.png

Sales by Region:
_____Asia N. America Europe/PAL
DS - 11.94m 7.07m 7.01m = >26.03m sold WW
PSP - 4.83m 5.62m 5.27m = >15.72m sold WW

Regional Gap:
_____7.11m 1.45m 1.74m = 10.31m difference WW

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
And that's why you should sell me a PSP for $50 bucks, Sony. You'd be lucky to sell it to me for that much! Much in the way I'm lucky to be able to buy a PS3 for a mere $599. It all evens out.

Pimpwerx

In 3 years, that chart is gonna show a 10M unit difference between sold and shipped for the PSP, and it'll be just as useless as it is today. PEACE.

Stitchy

Pimpwerx said:
In 3 years, that chart is gonna show a 10M unit difference between sold and shipped for the PSP, and it'll be just as useless as it is today. PEACE.

The ending of that post made me flash back to 1991.

Pimpwerx said:

so is it just useless cause the PSP isn't the sales leader?

BlindN-Fan said:
Propably already answered...but can someone answer me how the hell that happened!!??

Those shipment numbers are not uptodate.
That shows you how quickly DSes sellout of each shipment.

Pimpwerx said:

Just about a month or two ago you would still have had some kind of point. But just recently Sony cut their expected PSP shipments for this year (April 06 - March 07) from 12m to 9m and they have already shipped 6m of these. So they plan to ship 3 million systems in 6 months - including the by far two biggest gaming months in the year (November and December). So if Sony doesn't exceed its own shipment targets, the difference between shipped and sold will already be much smaller at the end of March 07 (it's definitely impossible for the PSP to not sell significantly more than 3m in these 6 months worldwide).

And than again, the facts are so obvious that it's pretty hilarious that people still act like there is no huge discrepancy between shipped and sold. Sony has shipped 3.76m PSPs between January and September 06 to the Americas. According to NPD they have sold through ~1.5m during that same timeframe. So unless I missed that country called "United States of America 2" with a 300m population and a GDP per capita of arround $40,000 there really is no point in arguing that this whole sold/shipped debate doesn't have a solid basis.
Sales in their Asia region outside of Japan also seem to be quite great - so great that shipments (or production or whatever) from January till September for the whole Asia region are LOWER than what they have sold through in Japan alone according to MC (1.36m sold through in Japan between Jan 2nd and Oct 1st vs. 1.17m shipped between Jan 1st and Sept 30th).

Frankfurter said:
Just about a month or two ago you would still have had some kind of point. But just recently Sony cut their expected PSP shipments for this year (April 06 - March 07) from 12m to 9m and they have already shipped 6m of these. So they plan to ship 3 million systems in 6 months - including the by far two biggest gaming months in the year (November and December). So if Sony doesn't exceed its own shipment targets, the difference between shipped and sold will already be much smaller at the end of March 07 (it's definitely impossible for the PSP to not sell significantly more than 3m in these 6 months worldwide).

And than again, the facts are so obvious that it's pretty hilarious that people still act like there is no huge discrepancy between shipped and sold. Sony has shipped 3.76m PSPs between January and September 06 to the Americas. According to NPD they have sold through ~1.5m during that same timeframe. So unless I missed that country called "United States of America 2" with a 300m population and a GDP per capita of arround $40,000 there really is no point in arguing that this whole sold/shipped debate doesn't have a solid basis.
Sales in their Asia region outside of Japan also seem to be quite great - so great that shipments (or production or whatever) from January till September for the whole Asia region are LOWER than what they have sold through in Japan alone according to MC (1.36m sold through in Japan between Jan 2nd and Oct 1st vs. 1.17m shipped between Jan 1st and Sept 30th).
Excellent post. I hope more people begin to realize that Sony's "shipment" figures are completely absurd sometime before Sony claims the 100 millionth PSP has shipped...

I suppose if I post an upgraded graph including November data on it I'll be banned again (sixth ban in six months...) and by my best pal, sonycowboy, of all people! So I'll just post my estimated L-T-D (Nov) data:

Sales by Region:
_____Asia_N. America_PAL
DS - 12.54m 8.08m 7.91m = ~28.5m sold WW

PSP - 4.96m 6.46m 6.59m = ~18.0m sold WW

Regional Gap:
_____7.58m_1.62m_1.32m = ~10.5m difference WW

If anyone cares...
I suppose I'll hafta focus on J. sales from now on meaning no more classic-sales age threads...

bill0527

Square2005 said:
I suppose if I post an upgraded graph including November data on it I'll be banned again (sixth ban in six months...) and by my best pal, sonycowboy, of all people! So I'll just post my estimated L-T-D (Nov) data:

Sales by Region:
_____Asia_N. America_PAL
DS - 12.54m 8.08m 7.91m = ~28.5m sold WW

PSP - 4.96m 6.46m 6.59m = ~18.0m sold WW

Regional Gap:
_____7.58m_1.62m_1.32m = ~10.5m difference WW

If anyone cares...
I suppose I'll hafta focus on J. sales from now on meaning no more classic-sales age threads...

So let me see if I've got this straight... nobody is allowed to post charts anymore, if those charts were created using NPD data ?

I thought I saw Sonycowboy mention this in another thread but I can't find the thread now to verify it.

bill0527 said:
So let me see if I've got this straight... nobody is allowed to post charts anymore, if those charts were created using NPD data ?

I thought I saw Sonycowboy mention this in another thread but I can't find the thread now to verify it.

Yeah, he said that in the last thread I made right before locking it and then banning me...

I was planning on posting a chart of U.S. Square-Enix RPG title LTDs back to 1989 (DWs, FFs, FFLegends, Mana, and all the PSX thru next-gen LTDs), that I had made during bannage number 4 (in Dec.) but I guess sc will ban me again for posting it cuzz much of the data is from the NPD even if I roundup the figures...

This forum used to be so awesome cuzz we could know/discuss those kinds of things...

mariok

Can the ds sold more units in the Americas than de gba.
The gba sold in the first two years more than 16 million.

Ds now over 8 million. The sales of december around 2 million?
ds after two years 10 million?
Mabye it can with pokémon next year.

apotema

Why don't you start a new "Sales estimating company" and you post your numbers, obtained by your own company, that would be impossible to ban

apotema said:
Why don't you start a new "Sales estimating company" and you post your numbers, obtained by your own company, that would be impossible to ban

Could I major in video game sales tracking (does it exist?)?
I don't have a major yet...
What courses should I take to form this new company?

Top Bottom