• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphic Design |OT| Be, INdesign

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Now having the experience of having to rework whole catalogs, most in standalone files not in a package so I have to relink content in a database where the file hierarchy makes no fucking sense, with fonts missing and seeing that they for some reason only use illustrator the formatting seems all over the place...

Jesus Christ, people, just use InDesign and learn to package your shit.

Also for some reason they decided to make their own crop marks in the document itself rather than setting a bleed like any other sane person.

Odinson

I'm seeking advice from Graphic Design GAF.

I've been at my current job for 10 yrs doing graphic design. I mainly work in Illustrator and Photoshop. The work is mostly map related as this is a cultural research firm. We do archaeology and historic preservation type work. Though its been a good run I'm really over it. I've been applying to other jobs and had a few bites but nothing solid yet. I don't think my portfolio is as strong as it should be. The work I do here isn't exactly exciting enough to be shown. I have done mock pieces, but that may also be holding me back as they aren't for real world clients. Lately I've gotten into motion graphics and that's the field I want to move toward. I have a pretty good grasp of after effects and I'm learning cinema 4D. I can edit in Final Cut or Premiere. I'm just not sure what direction to go. I thought about going back to school for video but it's costly and a lot of the stuff I can learn on my own. The benefits would be the networking and having a degree in that field. I'm 34 and feel like it's now or never to get into something else. Sorry if this was to long. Any advice would be helpful.

MrGerbils

What city do you live in and what schools were you thinking about taking classes at?

There's three big things to motion design:
- traditional graphic design sensibilities
- understanding the fundamentals of animation
- technical knowledge of how to operate the software

The first I think is best to learn at school, the second you learn through working on projects, the last you can teach yourself online.

The big job markets for motion design is LA and NYC, but there is some stuff in places like SF or Seattle. And there's always little jobs everywhere of course. I've spent many years doing rounds at most of the big LA shops so would be glad to answer any questions you may have that relate to that. I don't know much about how someone makes a living doing motion design outside of the major markets, though I'm aware quite a few people manage to do it.

Odinson

What city do you live in and what schools were you thinking about taking classes at?

There's three big things to motion design:
- traditional graphic design sensibilities
- understanding the fundamentals of animation
- technical knowledge of how to operate the software

The first I think is best to learn at school, the second you learn through working on projects, the last you can teach yourself online.

The big job markets for motion design is LA and NYC, but there is some stuff in places like SF or Seattle. And there's always little jobs everywhere of course. I've spent many years doing rounds at most of the big LA shops so would be glad to answer any questions you may have that relate to that. I don't know much about how someone makes a living doing motion design outside of the major markets, though I'm aware quite a few people manage to do it.

Thanks for the response. I currently live in Tampa, FL. There are a few small places here that do motion design. I haven't done much digging on schools yet other then this one online place. http://www.mographmentor.com/
I believe that would help with the #2 on your list. I'm also doing small projects to learn what works and what doesn't. I have a BFA in graphic design so I do understand the traditional graphic design sensibilities. The technical knowledge I've already been working on. I've built a small demo reel of projects and would love to get into something entry level. Until I figure everything out I'll just keep learning by doing.

MrGerbils

Thanks for the response. I currently live in Tampa, FL. There are a few small places here that do motion design. I haven't done much digging on schools yet other then this one online place. http://www.mographmentor.com/
I believe that would help with the #2 on your list. I'm also doing small projects to learn what works and what doesn't. I have a BFA in graphic design so I do understand the traditional graphic design sensibilities. The technical knowledge I've already been working on. I've built a small demo reel of projects and would love to get into something entry level. Until I figure everything out I'll just keep learning by doing.

I've never heard of the site, but some of their mentors are definitely legit. Could be super interesting and seems reasonably affordable.

I have more experience with big projects at the big shops in LA, where things get specialized (lookdev, camera animation, styleframes, characters, whatever), but my understanding of small scale stuff is definitely that being a generalist is a huge plus. So as much as you can learn about everything (C4D!) will help you out.

If you take the class and want extra crits, feel free to post your projects here ;).

Now having the experience of having to rework whole catalogs, most in standalone files not in a package so I have to relink content in a database where the file hierarchy makes no fucking sense, with fonts missing and seeing that they for some reason only use illustrator the formatting seems all over the place...

Jesus Christ, people, just use InDesign and learn to package your shit.

Also for some reason they decided to make their own crop marks in the document itself rather than setting a bleed like any other sane person.

Sometimes working with the technically incompetent is a nightmare. They probably never used InDesign because it was too complicated for them. Almost as bad when introductory InDesign techniques aren't used and it's just harder to maintain for everyone.

Odinson

I've never heard of the site, but some of their mentors are definitely legit. Could be super interesting and seems reasonably affordable.

I have more experience with big projects at the big shops in LA, where things get specialized (lookdev, camera animation, styleframes, characters, whatever), but my understanding of small scale stuff is definitely that being a generalist is a huge plus. So as much as you can learn about everything (C4D!) will help you out.

If you take the class and want extra crits, feel free to post your projects here ;).

Thanks again. I talked with someone who is currently taking the courses on twitter. He did a review on his blog about the first semester. He highly recommended it as it helped him a ton. I'm still weighing my options but that might be the direction I take. I post some of my stuff to Instagram under @motionbite, but if I start taking classes I will definitely post here for critiques.

inner-G

Banned
People that don't properly use InDesign are the bane of my existence.

"Can you fix this brochure?" Why is it a frigging illustrator file!?!? Lol

I'm seeking advice from Graphic Design GAF.

I've been at my current job for 10 yrs doing graphic design. I mainly work in Illustrator and Photoshop. The work is mostly map related as this is a cultural research firm. We do archaeology and historic preservation type work. Though its been a good run I'm really over it. I've been applying to other jobs and had a few bites but nothing solid yet. I don't think my portfolio is as strong as it should be. The work I do here isn't exactly exciting enough to be shown. I have done mock pieces, but that may also be holding me back as they aren't for real world clients. Lately I've gotten into motion graphics and that's the field I want to move toward. I have a pretty good grasp of after effects and I'm learning cinema 4D. I can edit in Final Cut or Premiere. I'm just not sure what direction to go. I thought about going back to school for video but it's costly and a lot of the stuff I can learn on my own. The benefits would be the networking and having a degree in that field. I'm 34 and feel like it's now or never to get into something else. Sorry if this was to long. Any advice would be helpful.
Show versatility in digital in your portfolio.

Have some digital photography, edit some videos to show and if you don't do web design, just show some web ads that you've done (or fake some).

Having a nice online portfolio to send a URL with the resume is key - even something you build on Wix or something should be sufficient unless you're going for web design. Most of those sites are great for digital portfolios because they have pre-made slideshows that you can plug photos into, and easy YouTube embedding for video. Plus most play nice on mobile/tablet.

Joe

Can anyone point me to a proper Photoshop tutorials? I really have no idea what to search for...

Tutorial 1: let's say I want to cut a person out of "Image A" and then paste this person into "Image B" which is an unrelated landscape photo, how can I do that and make it look good?

I use the pen tool, cut, copy, and it looks like utter crap. I'm not trying to perform photo magic and make it look like the person in Image A was originally in Image B, it can look like a Photoshop, I just would like to get it to look as professionally Photoshopped as possible.

Tutorial 2: I'd also like a tutorial on how to fade a photo into the background. An example would be 70% of the image is the photo, 25% is solid black, 5% is the transition/fading between the two.

I'm trying to make a book cover for a friends simple e-Book. Any help is appeciated.

If this is not the thread for this then I will delete ASAP

Can anyone point me to a proper Photoshop tutorials? I really have no idea what to search for...

Tutorial 1: let's say I want to cut a person out of "Image A" and then paste this person into "Image B" which is an unrelated landscape photo, how can I do that and make it look good?

I use the pen tool, cut, copy, and it looks like utter crap. I'm not trying to perform photo magic and make it look like the person in Image A was originally in Image B, it can look like a Photoshop, I just would like to get it to look as professionally Photoshopped as possible.

Tutorial 2: I'd also like a tutorial on how to fade a photo into the background. An example would be 70% of the image is the photo, 25% is solid black, 5% is the transition/fading between the two.

I'm trying to make a book cover for a friends simple e-Book. Any help is appeciated.

1 - Use the quick mask tool with brushes to cut the outlines in the smallest details. Zoom in as much as you need to, use brushes as small as you need to. Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq86dITzH-I

About #2 I don't think I understood it. Maybe it's because I'm drowsy right now. :p

Nachos

It's been a while since I've checked on the thread, but Gerbils, I wanted to give a late thank you for the text stroke image because I forgot to do that when you first posted it. That helped me make a lot of sense of what was going wrong with the images. Time constraints forced me to use the old images anyway, but I've since been a lot mindful of if I should use the effect.

I think my biggest problem was that I was looking at Japanese magazines for inspiration, and they can use strokes a lot more freely since their letters are more block-based and don't have to worry about running into each other.

Assuming I understand part 2 correctly, you'll basically want to apply a layer mask to the layer you want to modify and use the gradient tool on that mask. I'm gonna illustrate my point with a clipart ghost.
HzLmnAA.png

Maybe there's a better way to do this, but here's what I did:
  1. Since I just needed to modify big blocks of the image, I clicked the "New Layer Mask" button" in the bottom right corner. This gave it an all-white mask, so nothing's hidden just yet.
  2. I then applied guidelines from the "New Guide" option in the View menu at the 70% and 85% points, horizontally.
  3. I then held shift as I applied a white-to-black linear gradient to the mask, starting from the 70% point, going downwards until I reached the 85% point. The gradient gets applied to that region, progressively hiding the image more and more as it descends, while everything above is filled with pure white (keeping it unchanged) as everything below is filled with pure black (completely hiding it).
Does that help?

Joe

1 - Use the quick mask tool with brushes to cut the outlines in the smallest details. Zoom in as much as you need to, use brushes as small as you need to. Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq86dITzH-I

About #2 I don't think I understood it. Maybe it's because I'm drowsy right now. :p
Thank you! No it's not you, I explained it poorly lol

It's been a while since I've checked on the thread, but Gerbils, I wanted to give a late thank you for the text stroke image because I forgot to do that when you first posted it. That helped me make a lot of sense of what was going wrong with the images. Time constraints forced me to use the old images anyway, but I've since been a lot mindful of if I should use the effect.

I think my biggest problem was that I was looking at Japanese magazines for inspiration, and they can use strokes a lot more freely since their letters are more block-based and don't have to worry about running into each other.

Assuming I understand part 2 correctly, you'll basically want to apply a layer mask to the layer you want to modify and use the gradient tool on that mask. I'm gonna illustrate my point with a clipart ghost.
HzLmnAA.png

Maybe there's a better way to do this, but here's what I did:
  1. Since I just needed to modify big blocks of the image, I clicked the "New Layer Mask" button" in the bottom right corner. This gave it an all-white mask, so nothing's hidden just yet.
  2. I then applied guidelines from the "New Guide" option in the View menu at the 70% and 85% points, horizontally.
  3. I then held shift as I applied a white-to-black linear gradient to the mask, starting from the 70% point, going downwards until I reached the 85% point. The gradient gets applied to that region, progressively hiding the image more and more as it descends, while everything above is filled with pure white (keeping it unchanged) as everything below is filled with pure black (completely hiding it).
Does that help?
Thank you for this! Just what I was talking about

Guys, behance, instagram, pinterest, dribbble or tumblr for portfolio? Everyone in my school advocates different things.

Realistically, do I want to put out my school projects? When is a good time to work on a portfolio? We're told to do it now, but when do you know if your stuff is good enough? I hate all my stuff after I spend a certain amount of time with it!

Guys, behance, instagram, pinterest, dribbble or tumblr for portfolio? Everyone in my school advocates different things.

Realistically, do I want to put out my school projects? When is a good time to work on a portfolio? We're told to do it now, but when do you know if your stuff is good enough? I hate all my stuff after I spend a certain amount of time with it!

It does not matter what you choose as your portfolio, as long as you show your work. Begin immediately, I am assuming you are in college right now? In terms of good enough, that is subjective. Someone will always find something good and another person could not like it as well. The only thing to keep in mind is design principles and standards.

MrGerbils

www.yourname.com works great

So, I'm designing a visual identity manual for a laptop company as an exercise for college. Pretty cool. I'd like someone have their say on what it looks like... but I'm not posting it here, if someone is interested I'll pm you.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So, I'm designing a visual identity manual for a laptop company as an exercise for college. Pretty cool. I'd like someone have their say on what it looks like... but I'm not posting it here, if someone is interested I'll pm you.
I'll gladly provide some feedback.

Thanks guys, I'm at work now but as soon as I get home I'll send it to you. Any hints and/or constructive criticism will be appreciated. Please bear in mind that this is my first project so take it easy, lol :)

I can't express how much I appreciate you guys! Thank you for the help!

Just a few of my mock designs for my portfolio.

Let me know what you think.

IMO they look pretty good, simple but beautiful. But the 'Fish' one is repeated.

Edit: Stamp Nouveau. It looks interesting, but what is it about? lol

Symphonia

Banned
IMO they look pretty good, simple but beautiful. But the 'Fish' one is repeated.

Edit: Stamp Nouveau. It looks interesting, but what is it about? lol
Damn it, copied the same image code twice. Edited.

Stamp Nouveau is just a concept. It could be used for a book publisher logo.

N0VAM0D

Just a few of my mock designs for my portfolio.
Let me know what you think.

Nice, the pie one is especially lovely to look at! But, in your portfolio are you going to have any explanation of the process behind the concepts and how you arrived at that design solution? Just curious, because although they look good, I don't know why they are the way they are. Just a thought!

Also, if this portfolio is for employment, it would be a great idea to include a couple of pieces where you've done a lot of typesetting just to show that you're capable of doing it properly. I've spoken to a bunch of designers that own studios who say that if a designer can't typeset well, they have zero chance of being hired. It's a pretty important skill to have.

N0VAM0D

excuse the double post, ahh!

I'm super interested, though! Would love to give some feedback if you want!

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
Also, if this portfolio is for employment, it would be a great idea to include a couple of pieces where you've done a lot of typesetting just to show that you're capable of doing it properly. I've spoken to a bunch of designers that own studios who say that if a designer can't typeset well, they have zero chance of being hired. It's a pretty important skill to have.

This!

Also, it would be great if your portfolio included some use cases. Don't just show a logo, but show it in action. On a business card, on stationary,... Showing some context does wonders for presentation, and it also shows that you can handle branding, basic layouts and typography.

Symphonia

Banned
Nice, the pie one is especially lovely to look at! But, in your portfolio are you going to have any explanation of the process behind the concepts and how you arrived at that design solution? Just curious, because although they look good, I don't know why they are the way they are. Just a thought!
The portfolio will be a physical printed brochure abd online. Both will feature the design process behind each design, as well as initial concept designs that never made it to the next step. The pie one was inspired by a local bakery in Stratford-upon-Avon, a historic town in the UK, hence the traditional colours, and the little scroll beneath the pie.

I do have a few designs which rely solely on typeography and typesetting. The next time I have my HDD out, I'll upload a few. I'm not going to lie, typesetting isn't one of my strengths. It's not terrible, by a longshot, but there's room for improvement.

N0VAM0D

Kitsuné;180547236 said:
This!

Also, it would be great if your portfolio included some use cases. Don't just show a logo, but show it in action. On a business card, on stationary,... Showing some context does wonders for presentation, and it also shows that you can handle branding, basic layouts and typography.

This, too!

The portfolio will be a physical printed brochure abd online. Both will feature the design process behind each design, as well as initial concept designs that never made it to the next step. The pie one was inspired by a local bakery in Stratford-upon-Avon, a historic town in the UK, hence the traditional colours, and the little scroll beneath the pie.

Sweet! I'm guessing that with the brochure, you plan on using that for interviews and the online one for the general public? I ask this, because you may want to consider having some variety and not using the exact same works for both mediums. This is mainly because, when you go for a job, an employer is obviously going to check out your website and suss out your work. If they like it, and they call you in for an interview, they'll ask you to bring in a portfolio, and it would be quite disappointing for them if they are shown the exact same pieces as they saw on the website. It can make you come off as lazy and it just isn't a good look. In your printed portfolio, try to use some of the briefs that you were very passionate about so you can discuss them in detail during an interview, employers like that a lot. Sorry if I sound like I'm pushing you around or something, I promise I'm not! This is all friendly advice!

I do have a few designs which rely solely on typeography and typesetting. The next time I have my HDD out, I'll upload a few. I'm not going to lie, typesetting isn't one of my strengths. It's not terrible, by a longshot, but there's room for improvement.

That's heaps good, then! Can't wait to see your stuff. If you ever want typesetting critique or anything like that, I'm always available!

I absolutely love seeing this thread active, makes me so happy!

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
Any digital/ui designers in here? I had a print / branding focussed education, and now mainly do illustration work. As I'm getting more and more requests for digital work I was wondering what tools you guys use? I heard Sketch is great for ui design, and I just started a Flinto trial for prototyping. That last one seems like a nice step to Framer.js, but that's for when I feel like learning a new programming language.

Anything I'm missing, or other recommendations?

Kitsuné;180602812 said:
Any digital/ui designers in here? I had a print / branding focussed education, and now mainly do illustration work. As I'm getting more and more requests for digital work I was wondering what tools you guys use? I heard Sketch is great for ui design, and I just started a Flinto trial for prototyping. That last one seems like a nice step to Framer.js, but that's for when I feel like learning a new programming language.

I use fireworks for pretty much everything. Prototyping,ui,wireframes,etc. Some use Photoshop or Axure. Everyone has their own preference though,as long as it gets the job done.

SystemBug

Kitsuné;180602812 said:

i generally use illustrator to create mock ups, and final icons. when i was interning at autodesk, i also used this software called indigo studio for wireframing and mock up

Dai101

Banned
HI

I need a small favor.

We need to print new receipts forms and other stuff and wanted to update our logo or make it more visually appealable. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This is our current one (scanned, since we don't have access to the original file)

http://i.imgur.com/5yqwebj.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to put the file!!!! Silly me

HI

I need a small favor.

We need to print new receipts forms and other stuff and wanted to update our logo or make it more visually appealable. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This is our current one (scanned, since we don't have access to the original file)

Will you be using a print shop? Many print shops have designers on staff who can clean up logos for a small fee. Some don't even charge for it, depending on the scope of the print job.

SystemBug

I'm kinda doing this experiment during october where I try to create a scene a day in 3D

it's not really for anything but to kind of improve my composition and color knowledge. I do plan on making a book of it for portfolio purposes

21951978326_b5b7182559_z.jpg

Good job, SystemBug! Gotta keep on practicing :)

And guys I need some help (again!). A friend asked me to make the UI for a kind of ATM he's making (I can't explain exactly what it is, but an ATM is what gets closer to it). But I know close to nothing of UI design. I actually made 3 mockups and sent to him, and he really liked one. But then he asked me to change a lot of things because the most recent version of the software has completely different options... and that made my work go to the drain. The way it was designed before simply doesn't work with the current version (which has a lot more information on screen).

I don't know what to do, I don't know where to look for inspiration, been looking on Deviantart, pinterest, behance... but I don't know exactly what to look for :s

SystemBug

And guys I need some help (again!). A friend asked me to make the UI for a kind of ATM he's making (I can't explain exactly what it is, but an ATM is what gets closer to it). But I know close to nothing of UI design. I actually made 3 mockups and sent to him, and he really liked one. But then he asked me to change a lot of things because the most recent version of the software has completely different options... and that made my work go to the drain. The way it was designed before simply doesn't work with the current version (which has a lot more information on screen).

I don't know what to do, I don't know where to look for inspiration, been looking on Deviantart, pinterest, behance... but I don't know exactly what to look for :s
Oh man I wish I could help you out. My bank branch recently updated their UI for their atm and it looks great. a lot more information on screen while still being clean. They kinda used the windows 8 metro box approach with a lighter and brighter color palette.

Oh man I wish I could help you out. My bank branch recently updated their UI for their atm and it looks great. a lot more information on screen while still being clean. They kinda used the windows 8 metro box approach with a lighter and brighter color palette.

Can't you make a mock up to help me? I know that's asking a lot... but... :p

You know, just the general idea, it doesn't need to have all the details. Just so that I have an idea.

SystemBug

Can't you make a mock up to help me? I know that's asking a lot... but... :p

You know, just the general idea, it doesn't need to have all the details. Just so that I have an idea.

you know what? if you can wait until tomorrow ill take a walk down to my bank and record a video for you

Can I see the mockups of the UI? Also http://pttrns.com/ is a good website for UI inspiration.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
HI

I need a small favor.

http://i.imgur.com/5yqwebj.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to put the file!!!! Silly me
I can help you out with this if you haven't already updated the logo.

Does anyone here have some resources to step-up my typography game?

Self-judgment:

1) My placement of text, headline and bread crums is not exciting. It's too boring. I've gotten into this trap were I am too scared to don't follow the grids. I am looking for resources that can help teach me to break the ground.

2) I have so few fonts in my arsenal. It's always the same. Century Gothic, Garamond, Impact, Helvetica Neue, Futura, Caslon. Almost everything I have is legible sans serif. I got no serif fonts I like, I got no scripts, I got no feminine fonts. I feel so limited. Anyone got any advice on a few fonts that you just gotta have, or styles you need to have. Could really use a solid script or two.

3) I've practiced a lot in InDesign and I like the program a lot more now! The text engine is great, but layout upsetting habits in Photoshop die hard! My eyes are still not fully trained in figuring out when a layout is equally weighted.
I look at real magazine covers and I look at theres, and something is off on mine a lot of the time.

4) type is really hard. I feel this is the hardest thing I've encountered in graphic design so far. I can see why making a font could take years!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone here have some resources to step-up my typography game?

Self-judgment:

2) I have so few fonts in my arsenal. It's always the same. Century Gothic, Garamond, Impact, Helvetica Neue, Futura, Caslon. Almost everything I have is legible sans serif. I got no serif fonts I like, I got no scripts, I got no feminine fonts. I feel so limited. Anyone got any advice on a few fonts that you just gotta have, or styles you need to have. Could really use a solid script or two.

These are the typefaces I mainly use:

Sans
  • Abril Text (Type Together)
  • Anonymous Pro (Mark Simonson)
  • Avenir/Avenir Next (Linotype)
  • Giorgio Sans (Commercial Type)
  • Gotham (Hoefler & Co)
  • Karmina Sans (Type Together)
  • Klavika (Process Type Foundry)
  • Locator/Locator Display (Process Type Foundry)
  • Museo Sans (exljbris)
  • Proxima Nova (Mark Simonson)
  • Soleil (Type Together)
  • Stockholm Type (not available through any foundry)
  • Sweden Sans (not available through any foundry)
  • Tablet Gothic (Type Together)
  • Yoga Sans (FontFont)
Serifs
  • Austin (Commercial Type)
  • Chronicle Display (Hoefler & Co)
  • Hoefler Titling (Hoefler & Co)
  • Museo (exljbris)
  • Requiem (Hoefler & Co)
  • Portrait (Commercial Type)
I don't use many script typefaces unfortunately so I haven't got any specific recommendations. However, if I need any script typefaces I usually go to Intellecta Design or Laura Worthington. They have got many great script typefaces, you should have no trouble finding something you like.

4) type is really hard. I feel this is the hardest thing I've encountered in graphic design so far. I can see why making a font could take years!

Indeed, and it's a deep rabbit hole to tumble down into. There's of course different levels of complexity for a typeface, but all faces, at least those for professional use, require hard work. MyFonts has got excellent blogs/articles on select typefaces and creators each month, check that out if you want a good source for insight on typeface creation.
That's what I can provide you with as for feedback.

Thanks Rosti. This is exactly the sort of practical advice I need. Major help! Of the fonts you list I only know Gotham, and I really like that one! I will research the others!

Top Bottom