• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphics Comparison: God of War Collection Vs. Originals

Atari2600

Too dumb for the internet
http://bitmob.com/index.php/mobfeed/graphics-comparison-god-of-war-collection-vs-originals.html (A billion more images there. HQ if you click the smaller image)

4081566985_e7812ba779_o.jpg

4081573433_e30291d4f8_o.jpg

4082327010_1090a34df9_o.jpg

4082332590_f309626297_o.jpg

4082336660_6cf28f2160_o.jpg

4082341386_f8138608c3_o.jpg

The new version looks great, but man, the originals are still amazing-looking games!

Sorry about the NSFW post. I assumed that since the nips were covered that it was OK. I apologize.

For those that are complaining that the screens I've linked to are low-quality: I didn't link to the HQ stuff because the picture size is huge. Go to the article and click the picture for the big-ass version.

Jin

I don't see any difference except one is brighter then the other...

EDIT: I posted right before the IGN shots were up. NOW I see the difference.

JB1981

Higher resolution and AA. Works for me. Can't wait.

Definitely a very nice improvement. Man, PS2 had such poor image quality.

matmanx1

Love how much cleaner the game looks on the new version. The PS2 versions gave me headaches on my LCD TV, even running in progressive scan mode. I am very much looking forward to these.

Did they re-render the CG FMV sequences? I hope so, because upscaled SD videos from last gen usually look terrible. See Ninja Gaiden Sigma for more details. The second image does look a little different though, so maybe they did.

EDIT: Hooray for the thread savers, I was thinking the improvements in the bitmob pics weren't as grand as I'd hoped. IGN delivers the goods, who'd have thunk it.

Robot 492

Banned
Thank God someone in this thread posted some real comparisons! The difference is pretty remarkable. Can't wait for this.

Fio

How about doing a proper comparison? How does the fuck they post these horrendous PS2 GOW's pics and want us to believe this is how the game looked on PS2 hardware?

goldenpp72

Fio said:
How about doing a proper comparison? How does the fuck they post these horrendous PS2 GOW's pics and want us to believe this is how the game looked on PS2 hardware?

Ign just stuck a ps2 on an hdtv right?

Fio said:

That's precisely what it looks like scaled to 720p. PS2 IQ was beyond horrible.

Fio said:

You are aware that the GOW games on PS2 weren't rendered at 1280x720, right? When you blow up 480p captures they're gonna look like shit.

vazel

Banned
I was about to say the difference isn't that big but IGN's comparison is much better and shows a bigger difference.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
WickedLaharl said:
the remastered pics look washed out
Remastered pics look just like the old supersampled promo shots. Their screencaps of PS2 version are wrong, and have contrast blown way out of what it really is supposed to look like.

Also, both sets of images in OP are scaled down compared to the site they are taken from (which has them in original 720p)

pr0cs

dunno looks awesome to me.. i keep forgetting it's out soon.. 1 more to add to the buy list .. I thought AC2 was the end of it this year.

Fio

brain_stew said:
That's precisely what it looks like scaled to 720p. PS2 IQ was beyond horrible.

I know, but I believe a proper comparison would be done putting side by side PS2 480p GoW1&2 pics and PS3 720p, 2xAA GoW1&2 pics, so we all could realize the real difference. Because, honestly, I believe it's kind of a lazy job rendering the game only at 720p and adding a meager 2xAA.

Fio said:
I know, but I believe a proper comparison would be done putting side by side PS2 480p GoW1&2 pics and PS3 720p, 2xAA GoW1&2 pics, so we all could realize the real difference. Because, honestly, I believe it's kind of a lazy job rendering the game only at 720p and adding a meager 2xAA.

What are you talking about? Those pictures are a real-world representation of what the PS2 GOW games will look like on a HDTV, and what the new PS3 versions will look like on an HDTV. What did you expect them to do in a 15-week port job? Did you expect them to spend a ton of money recreating every single art asset in the game?

Here is the real difference in quality between the PS2 and PS3 versions.

b9ewdf.jpg

qzg0pk.jpg

Fio said:

No that's a stupid way to do it. Who views SD content on their TV at 1/4 size? Because that's essentially the sort of comparison you're asking for.

Valkyr Junkie said:
s.
IMAGES]

No its not. The PS2 version didn't benefit from supersampled AA.

The IGN comparison is completely valid, the only real fair way to do it. Unless of course you shrink the size of your games when you play them on your HDTV? The comparison is absolutely representative of the difference you'll see when you play both games on a modern TV. Yes, PS2 Image quality really was much worse than you ever remember it was.

Top Bottom