• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grasshopper Manufacture remaking The Silver Case for PC in Unity 5

Corpekata

Banned
Source

Playism is publishing.

The Silver Case, released back in 1991 for the original PlayStation, was an adventure game that was described as being even too difficult for native Japanese users. Playism is working with Grasshopper Manufacture to ensure the translation is as close to the source as possible.

Some puzzles and sequences have to be modified to make them playable in English, like the encryption sequence that relied on how Japanese is presented in computer systems.

When asked whether or not Grasshopper Manufacture would develop a game in the future similar in tone and style to The Silver Case, Suda-san said it would be “very exciting” to work on a game similar in style, but with a more modest team.

Cj_iwakura's primer on the series for those curious: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=983948

Edit: article was taken down, presumably some sort of embargo broke but someone screencapped it:

s01Wxyy.png

wrowa

"The Silver Case, released back in 1991 for the original PlayStation"

Grasshopper at its best. Releasing games for platforms that don't even exist yet!

Ridley327

Oh thank god. The story of the DS port was so tragic in the end that I had given up hope that this would ever release in English. Good on Playism to lend a helping hand.

okay, how much of this game is weird weird and how much of it is actually a fun game that's weird?

I'm always wary of a Suda game because I don't care for the former but i'm always on the lookout for the later but too often Suda's games are the former

Atolm

Hehehe I knew this was happening in some form since Suda has been bugging different teams around the world for the port/remake. And I was this close to spill the beans in some of CJ threads.

Glad it's finally confirmed.

Corpekata

Banned
Oh thank god. The story of the DS port was so tragic in the end that I had given up hope that this would ever release in English. Good on Playism to lend a helping hand.

Yeah Playism's been great the last couple years helping get a lot of fairly niche stuff off the ground.

Ridley327

i'd prefer a straight up port with localization but let's see how this goes. i've been waiting so many years for this to finally happen.

As the blurb mentioned, there were puzzles that relied on the Japanese language that were hard even for the Japanese. Changes were inevitable for any kind of western release.

salromano

The page went down...man, this better be true.

It's true. No point in denying it now. I was invited to the event but couldn't attend. According to their story they got the info straight from the event, probably just published it ahead of embargo.

They might have jumped the gun. The teaser site just went live like 30 minutes before they posted the story.

The teaser site went live like 7 hours ago. =)

okay, how much of this game is weird weird and how much of it is actually a fun game that's weird?

I'm always wary of a Suda game because I don't care for the former but i'm always on the lookout for the later but too often Suda's games are the former

If it's anything like Flower, Sun and Rain, it's the former. That game was deliberately evil towards the player.

BBboy20

oh my godOhMyGodOHMYGOD this might be my 4th most anticipated game so far! This fucking shit has to be real, this dream has to be still alive, it has to come true!

Please, GhM Come back to form!

Eolz

FUCK YES!
Didn't expect that to be remade on PC tbh. Glad it's finally happening, sad for Playism that they can't have their surprise due to that article going up too soon.

Joqu

What was the story behind The Silver Case's DS port anyway? I remember it got shown off and everything

addik

Source link isn't working :(

But, playism does have a teaser site up with Grasshopper Manufacturer, so there's that?

I didn't think I'd ever play this. Hopefully this comes out soon. Not a PC fan, but I guess in certain cases you take what you get.

Nachos

From what I understand, it's more of a pure psychological thriller than even Killer7 was, so much less inscrutable.

Top Bottom