• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush Remaster [PS4} - Review Thread

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
GamesRadar 4.5/5
A superb action game that does far, far more than just depend on the novelty of gravity switching. It deserved so much more than to be ignored on Vita, and you simply must play it on PS4.

Eurogamer Italia 9/10
Insomma, ancora una volta Bluepoint Games ha tirato fuori dal cilindro una rimasterizzazione coi fiocchi, dopo l'eccellente lavoro fatto con la Uncharted Collection. I sessanta fotogrammi al secondo regalano un aspetto ancora più incredibile al già ottimo comparto grafico, mentre i controlli sono stati implementati su DualShock 4 in maniera quasi perfetta. Se quindi non possedete PlayStation Vita o non avete mai avuto modo di mettere le mani sull'ultima creatura di Keiichiro Toyama, Gravity Rush Remastered è un acquisto che ci sentiamo di consigliare praticamente a tutti i possessori di PlayStation 4.

Google Translate:
In short, once again Bluepoint Games has pulled out of the hat a remastering slap, after the excellent work done with Uncharted Collection. The sixty frames per second give an even more incredible to have good graphics, while the controls were implemented on 4 DualShock almost perfectly. So if you do not own the PlayStation Vita or have never had the opportunity to get their hands on the last creature of Keiichiro Toyama, Gravity Rush Remastered is a purchase that we can recommend to almost all owners of PlayStation 4.

ndtv 9/10
Nonetheless, Gravity Rush Remastered is an endearing piece of digital goodness that warrants your attention. You'll want to spend as much time as possible in Heskeville long after you're done with the main plot line. Sony might have laid it on a little thick with remasters to prop up a seemingly threadbare lineup of exclusives, but Gravity Rush on the PS4 is exemplary. There simply is no reason for you to miss out on it this time around.

EGM - 9/10
One of the best Vita games becomes one of Sony’s best PlayStation 4 offerings. While its portable origins mean the game never truly pushes the console on a technical level, Bluepoint has refreshed and reworked the original Gravity Rush with the care it deserved for its debut in high definition.

JeuxVideo - Live - 18/20
Si l'on attendra l'innovation pour Gravity Rush 2, cette version Remastered est remarquable à plus d'un titre.Gravity Rush revient ainsi sous son meilleur jour sur PS4 avec un jeu plus beau et plus fluide, et avec une jouabilité parfaitement adaptée à la Dual Shock 4 qui donne toute sa dimension aux combats vertigineux qu'offre le pouvoir de la gravité. Incontournable pour ceux qui l'auraient loupé, et pour les autres...aussi !
Better translation (thanks Klart!):
While we await innovation with Gravity Rush 2, the Remastered version is remarkable for more than one reason.Gravity Rush returns at its best on PS4 with a more beautiful and more fluid game, and with gameplay perfectly tailored to the Dual Shock 4 giving its full dimension to the dizzying fights offered by the power of gravity. A must for those who might have missed it, and others ... too!

Press Start - 9/10
Gravity Rush impressed me from the moment that I played it on the Vita many years ago. Everything from the story to the gameplay was incredibly unique and a breath of fresh air, but it’s evident that not many people got it experience it. Luckily, Bluepoint Games have done an absolutely amazing job with porting this to the PS4 and it’s a much better overall experience this time around. I strongly believe that Gravity Rush Remastered is one of the best games available on PS4 and an experience that shouldn’t be missed.

Digital Chumps - 8.8/10
Gravity Rush is captivating early on and maintains that level of interest throughout. It's addictive, well-paced, fun as hell, and has a nice steampunk world with a great soundtrack. The remaster is good, although straight-forward, and at $30 it's a purchase well worth considering.

US Gamer 8/10
Gravity Rush hasn't slipped free of its innate shortcomings in its move to PlayStation 4, but this is one of those rare remasters with genuine value. It offers a deeper appeal than simply giving you a prettier way to play the game; the change in scale and the crisper visuals allow the game to come closer to realizing its true potential than it could on the Vita—and I say this as a portable gaming enthusiast and Vita apologist. While I'm disappointed to see Kat's next adventure heading exclusively to console, and to consider what that says about Sony's faith in the Vita platform, Gravity Rush Remastered makes it clear that the series belongs on the big screen. And I'm more eager than ever to see what SCE Studio Japan can achieve with a game designed around play on a console, free from the constraints and limitations of handhelds.

Gamekult 8/10
Difficile de trouver à redire sur cette édition remastered, en dehors de quelques reproches sur l'aspect technique ou l'interface, le jeu dispose enfin de l'espace nécessaire faire l'étalage de ses arguments. L'aventure de Kat sur PlayStation 4 est d'autant plus plaisante que la prise en main à la manette corrige les problèmes de précision de la version portable, le tout sans aucun temps de chargement. Malgré l'intérêt limité des DLC au delà du fan service, retrouver Gravity Rush sur console de salon à un prix raisonnable est une merveilleuse occasion pour tous de le découvrir, et d'attendre la suite de pied ferme.

Google Translate:
Hard to find fault with this edition remastered, apart from some criticisms on the technical aspect or interface, the game finally has the necessary space to the display of its arguments. The Kat adventure on PlayStation 4 is particularly pleasing that the handling in the controller corrects the accuracy problems of the portable version, all without any loading time. Despite the limited interest of DLC beyond the fan service, Gravity Rush on finding reasonably priced home console is a wonderful opportunity for everyone to find out, and wait for the result of firm footing.

PSNation - 8/10
Gravity Rush Remastered looks great, it has some awesome music, and it is very satisfying when you complete an episode or upgrade an item. But the major factor for me when I play any game is: ‘Did I have fun?’ This is a resounding yes.

I couldn’t put the game down. No matter how many times I died fighting bosses while trying to complete a challenge, I kept going back. I wanted to know what was going to happen next, what power I was going to get, and how was that new power or ability going to play into the story.

I now have a strong desire to go back and give the Vita version a playthrough as well. The few difficult areas I played made the game challenging enough that I didn’t feel like I was overpowered or breezing through the levels. The few glitches I ran into did take me out of the world for a bit, but they didn’t ruin any of the experience that I had. With a sequel in the works, this is a must-play PS4 game for sure.

Destructoid - 8/10
That said, I'm of the opinion that these rough edges are not nearly as serious in their impact as some may think, and to players in the right mindset, even add to Gravity Rush's considerable charm. The writing, dialog and story all emphasize Kat's character as a somewhat hapless amateur superhero (think "anime Ms. Marvel with a different power set") just getting started in her crime-fighting career, and she's exactly the kind of person who might whiff on landing a gravity kick and go flying into a pile of boxes. Just in the way that deliberately "slow" controls can improve the atmosphere of a horror game like Amnesia, occasional finickiness and flubs reinforce Gravity Rush Remastered's sense of character (albeit unintentionally).

In the end, Bluepoint deserves credit for managing to bring out the best in an already-pretty-good game, allowing PS4 owners the chance to experience the charm of Gravity Rush unhampered by the limitations of its original platform.

HardcoreGamer - 4/5
Gravity Rush Remastered is close to perfect. The original Vita game was very well received, and while this update doesn’t exactly push the PS4 to its limits, it still looks and plays extremely well. It’s got a big open city to explore that’s intricately designed and just feels nice to walk through. Each of the four major areas has its own design style, and all of them are packed with events and other reasons to explore. The combat is fast-paced and fun, and the story missions are always engaging with a large amount of variety not only between the chapters but also within them. Kat is a truly likable character too, strong and cheerful while not overdoing it. There are certain aspects in the use of her powers that could stand to be beaten with a blunt object until they respond better, but somehow the game rises above this and becomes fantastically playable from beginning to end. Kat, her cat-companion Dusty, and the entire supporting cast bring their world to life in a huge adventure set in and around a fantastic city, making Gravity Rush Remastered a must-play for anyone who never got the chance to see the Vita original.

Gamereactor Danmark - 8/10
Alt magien fra Vita-versionen er stadig at finde i denne remaster. Den større skærm har bare gjort det sværere at se bort fra spillets fejl. Uanset hvad spillet ikke lykkedes med, er det værd at samle op for alle dens successer. Man kan godt mærke, man spiller et Vita-spil, da ens kraftfulde konsol sjældent bliver presset, men kreativiteten er ikke blevet mindre i overførslen. Lige omvendt er dette den perfekte forret, til hvad der kun kan blive en storslået hovedret. Hvis dette er hvad Japan Studio formåede at presse ud af Vita'en, lover det store ting for Gravity Rush 2 på Playstation 4. Dette er et formidabelt spil, der viser tegn på alderdom, men som fortjener at blive spillet. Både for første og anden gang.
Google translate:
All the magic of Vita version is still to find in this remaster. The larger screen has just made ​​it harder to ignore the game's fault. Whatever the game not succeeded, it is worth picking up for all its successes. You can feel, to play a Vita games as one powerful console rarely pressured, but creativity has not diminished in the transfer. Just reverse this is the perfect appetizer for what can only be a magnificent main course. If this is what Japan Studio managed to squeeze out of Vita'en, it promises great things for Gravity Rush 2 on the Playstation 4. This is a formidable game that shows signs of aging but which deserves to be played. Both the first and the second time.

Lazygamer - 7.5/10
Beneath the fluff and frustrations lies a truly unique game with a wondrous world and a central mechanic that can often cause moments of pure exhilaration. It's a fun, but deeply flawed experience

God is a Geek - 7.5/10
Ultimately, there’s an argument for getting hold of Gravity Rush whether you played it on Vita or not. If you did, the graphical boost, tightened controls and bundled DLC make it worth returning to after three years. If you didn’t, then you’re missing out on a unique, compelling adventure only really let down by uneven combat and a lack of incentive to explore its gorgeous world.

IGN US 7.5/10 Youtube video review

Gamespot - 7/10
Gravity Rush comes off as formulaic at times, but it's also a wonderful joyride that's been enhanced by a generous remastering effort that makes it feel right at home on PS4. Despite its problems, Gravity Rush is an adventure worth taking not just because there's hardly anything like it, but because it leverages its distinct gameplay to great effect, freeing you from the hold of gravity in a world worth exploring.

Push Square - 7/10
Gravity Rush Remastered will have you purring at the potential that its sequel looks set to fulfil, but it's a fine release in its own right. The mission variety's not quite there and the plot's paper-thin, but the traversal's some of the finest that you'll find on consoles full-stop, and the audio-visual achievements are outstanding across the board. It's an excellent first attempt, then, so irrespective of the laws of gravity, the only direction for this promising property is up.

The Verge - No score
Now’s the time to finally play Gravity Rush, which feels like a game of the present. It's a reaction to the full throated calls for representation, and a response to the never-ending request amongst game enthusiasts for something truly new. This is it. Turns out one of 2016's best and most refreshing games is from 2012.

Gamersyde - Videos
It would be quite an understatement to say that the Ps Vita was not a big success, despite very good hardware and some nice exclusives like Gravity Rush. To prepare the future release of its sequels and allow players to catch up, Sony and Bluepoint Games are about to give PS4 owners the chance to play Gravity Rush Remastered. As usual with the US studio, the port is as perfect as it could be with 1080p and 60 fps, as proven by our 5 direct feed videos captured over the week-end.

Great Let's play from GAF member v0mitg0d!

Thanks for posting Push Square's review. It's a stunning remaster of a great game that feels like it's on the precipice of amazing things. They've nailed the locomotion and art direction - now they need to build a better campaign around the core ideas.

fair scores. I can understand the 7s, but if the game resonates with you, many of its faults can be easily overlooked.

It's scoring less than the Vita version so far. Wasn't expecting that.

It's still a handheld game, gameplay-wise, and these usually score worse on consoles because of higher expectations.

It's scoring less than the Vita version so far. Wasn't expecting that.

It's four years old, though. They've done a great job porting it and the traversal mechanics are exceptional, but the scratty mission design is a little more obvious now. 7/10 is still a very good score, and for £20 it's a bargain! :)

JB2448

Sounds like Bluepoint did a great job, as expected. Really interested in seeing an analysis from Digital Foundry.

If you haven't, make sure you check out Digital Foundry's "Face-Off" article from last month.

These reviews show just how much your impression of the game varies based on whether or not it "grabs" you. It has a lot of atmosphere (to be expected from a development team led by the Siren series's principal staff), and it's absolutely worth giving a shot at its price point if you're even remotely interested.

Bonus: Here's a small piano performance by Kohei Tanaka, the game's composer.

Ridley327

I did get the feeling that the game's more repetitive elements would bring the score down somewhat in the transition to a console, but that's nothing to fault Bluepoint for, since that's not on them.

If you haven't, make sure you check off Digital Foundry's
"Face-Off" article from last month

Those reviews show just how much your impression of the game varies based on whether or not it "grabs" you. It has a lot of atmosphere (to be expected from a development team led by the Siren series's principal staff), and it's absolutely worth giving a shot at its price point if you're even remotely interested.

Bonus: Here's a small piano performance by Kohei Tanaka, the game's composer.

Oh nice, I hadn't seen that article previously to my recollection. I'll check it out now.

Lol, typical that this would reveiw worse than its handheld counterpart even though it's a resounding improvement in every way.

Shahed

Lol, typical that this would reveiw worse than its handheld counterpart even though it's a resounding improvement in every way.
It's not that surprising. People may have different expectations of a console game than they would from a handheld game. What is good for a handled might be below par for a console even with any improvements.

Not that it will stop me playing this next week. I wonder how different it'll be compared to playing of the Vita?

Servbot24

Banned

A remaster (or whatever) being better than its old handheld version is not really an accomplishment. That's just the base expectation.

For the most part the sites that have reviewed both versions have given it more or less the same score. The one exception being Destructoid.

(Left Vita, right PS4)

JeuxVideo: 19/20 | 18/20
EGM: 95 | 90
Multiplayer: 93 | 90
Destructoid: 65 | 80

I have the Vita version but never finished it and that's not because i don't like the game. It's mostly because i hate playing some types of games on a cramped portable.

With the DS4, this game will be way more comfy to play for me. At 30$, i think i will buy it and be ready for Gravity Rush 2.

For those who never played it, it's awesome !

Also, remember that the people reviewing the game on each site may be different from the original Vita reviewers. Of course, expectations are different on consoles so a handheld port will likely be held to higher standards, too.

I played a few hours of it on Vita but never got around to playing more, usually because I rarely use the damn thing(not a handheld person) but I can't for the life of me own atleast one of them every generation lol. I do play on it but very rarely. Have this on pre-order though, gonna be great.

Z3M0G

It is a long shot, likely not even possible... but can this be played remote play PS4>Vita and using the original tilt / swipe controls??

Was watching Japanese streams of this on PS Live last night.
Seems like a really charming game. The music was very catchy.

Blows me away that the father of Silent Hill is behind this. :D

Asd202

Was watching Japanese streams of this on PS Live last night.
Seems like a really charming game. The music was very catchy.

Blows me away that the father of Silent Hill is behind this. :D

This explains it! No wonder the game is really creepy in few story moments.

Lime

Already played the vita version but preordered this remaster. Its use of verticality, space and movement is incredible fulfilling and trippy

daveo42

Banned
Oh snap. Completely forgot this was next week. Super excited to play this again on PS4. It'll be a nice primer for the second game.

Klart

JeuxVideo - Live - 18/20

Si l'on attendra l'innovation pour Gravity Rush 2, cette version Remastered est remarquable à plus d'un titre.Gravity Rush revient ainsi sous son meilleur jour sur PS4 avec un jeu plus beau et plus fluide, et avec une jouabilité parfaitement adaptée à la Dual Shock 4 qui donne toute sa dimension aux combats vertigineux qu'offre le pouvoir de la gravité. Incontournable pour ceux qui l'auraient loupé, et pour les autres...aussi !

Google translate:

If we wait for innovation to Gravity Rush 2, the Remastered version is remarkable in a titre.Gravity Rush and returns its best on PS4 with a more beautiful and more fluid game, and with a perfectly tailored gameplay the Dual Shock 4 giving its full dimension to the offered dizzying fighting the power of gravity. A must for those who might have missed, and others ... too!

Better translation;

While we await innovation with Gravity Rush 2, the Remastered version is remarkable for more than one reason.Gravity Rush returns at its best on PS4 with a more beautiful and more fluid game, and with gameplay perfectly tailored to the Dual Shock 4 giving its full dimension to the dizzying fights offered by the power of gravity. A must for those who might have missed it, and others ... too!

Top Bottom