• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greasy, sweaty hands on your controller or kb/m is the devil. ITT: OCD?

Xdrive05

Am I just OCD or does GAF agree that dirty/greasy/sweaty fingers on your gaming stuff is a nukeitfromspace.gif?

I keep a bottle of Germ-X on my desk for a good hand purging every 10 minutes or so, just so my hands feel dry, and my keys and buttons too.

I wash my hands religiously when I game on my 360, I also never eat shit like Doritos or Cheetos when I do. Kb/m though is fine for greasy/sweaty hands, but still, no cheesy shit.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
My sweaty hands are perfectly fine.

Yours/others are absolutely gross, though. Animals.

Trevelyon

Hate the crud that builds up on the underside grooves of the DS3. Always clean that shit with a wet wipe and a pen.

Astra

It's pretty hard to avoid sweaty hands during marathon gaming sessions, especially in the Summer. The only thing I hate is having my controller being sticky, so I don't eat anything that would cause that, but everything else is fine. I munch often while gaming.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Am I just OCD or does GAF agree that dirty/greasy/sweaty fingers on your gaming stuff is a nukeitfromspace.gif?

I keep a bottle of Germ-X on my desk for a good hand purging every 10 minutes or so, just so my hands feel dry, and my keys and buttons too.

I'm not weirded out by my own clammy hands, but one of the pleasures of working a booth at PAX is the surprise sweat soaked controller. No amount of Germ-X can set your mind at ease.

Hate the crud that builds on the underside grooves of the DS3. Always clean that shit with a wet wipe and a pen.

Love buying a used controller with that shit all in it.

never buying used again after some of the crap I got in my last used 360 controller.

Paperclips + 90% ISO

Haha.. yes. The chemistry in the controller and in your hands begin to combine at some point. Rubbery, plastic fleshy goodness, that NG:B hand smell.

yeasty plastic <3

anyone know why controllers sometimes get MORE sticky after you wipe them with rubbing alcohol? It's cleaner, but feels grosser because it's totally sticky.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
anyone know why controllers sometimes get MORE sticky after you wipe them with rubbing alcohol? It's cleaner, but feels grosser because it's totally sticky.

Because the alcohol doesn't completely "dry" because the surface of the controller is smooth and not porous or whatever.

I wash my hands religiously when I game on my 360, I also never eat shit like Doritos or Cheetos when I do. Kb/m though is fine for greasy/sweaty hands, but still, no cheesy shit.

Yeah, I don't get how some people just eat greasy shit while gaming and smear their dust and shit all over the controller. Disgusting.

Im the same. When someone else uses my keyboard/mouse I have to go clean it up before using it.

And what I really hate is how the sticks on the DS3 somehow sweat on their own. I clean them up and after a few hours they're all greasy again without anyone using them.

Carl

If you eat crisps then come near my controller i will cut your throat.

Hate having grease and shit all over my controller.

Also, this

My sweaty hands are perfectly fine.

Yours/others are absolutely gross, though. Animals.

Quick

Banned
I wash my hands and don't eat while playing. Doing it right? Doing it right.

My PS3 controllers have become shinier (but not grease-like) due to wear and a bit dusty under the analog sticks, otherwise, clean.

MYE

"while i game"
"while gaming"

.....fffffffuuuuuuuck that is such a horrible expression, people!!!!!!!
Just as bad as dirty controllers.

abasm

The glossy tops on Wii controller get really disgusting after a while. Nintendo had it right with the GCN/GBA--durable, matte plastic. It's like they threw all ergonomic sense out the window when the DS Lite was released. The DSi was a step forward...then the 3DS was two steps back. :(

About once a month, I grab some rubbing alcohol, paper towels, and cotton swabs, and I just go to town on the controllers and handhelds.

milsorgen

Banned
I've actually been trying to find a solution to this as of late with my 360 controller. A 1750 ticket match on Op Metro ensures that chips or not you controller can get the 'not so fresh feeling'. Washing your hands is of course the easiest route but not perfect. I can get a little relief with a baby wipes and an occasional application of rubbing alcohol on the sticks themselves but it never lasts. I recently tried Grip-Its a condom like rubber overlay for the sticks. First day they were the greatest thing ever but soon the started to feel slick themselves. Been experimenting with double sided tape and it seems the easiest/best route but can come off the controller. Anyone else try and deal with this in creative ways?

The university I attended had fungi growing out of the keyboards in the main hall. We did some tests back then and found the grossest of the gross bacterial and fungal colonies on it.

I'm like OP. Clean everything once every two weeks.

The Boat

I always wash my hands before handling any controller, keyboard or whatever. I also make other people wash theirs, I want my stuff to last and to stay clean.

I don't wash my hands every 10 minutes, but generally whenever I've handled food or simply feel like my hands are getting dirty I wash them. Greasy slick keyboards, mice or controllers are nasty.

The glossy tops on Wii controller get really disgusting after a while. Nintendo had it right with the GCN/GBA--durable, matte plastic. It's like they threw all ergonomic sense out the window when the DS Lite was released. The DSi was a step forward...then the 3DS was two steps back. :(

About once a month, I grab some rubbing alcohol, paper towels, and cotton swabs, and I just go to town on the controllers and handhelds.
Yeah, I don't know why anyone tries to deviate from regular matte plastic. It's the best. Glossy and rubberized coatings end up grody, and the chalky matte stuff they used for later revisions of the DS and DSi aren't that much better.

I'm pretty crazy about this stuff.

It's the most annoying thing for me about PC gaming, being that my keyboard gets dirty waaaaaay more easily than my controllers.....and I can't stop it and it drives me crazy

I use fans, lots and lots of glorious fans blowing on my hands. (mouse)

Then I clean with alcohol once every 2 months or so.

Corto

You can go the hardcore way and have a sympathectomy performed on you to decrease the sweating. All the Pros do it.

dani_dc

I never touch my games, consoles or handhelds without washing my hands with hands desinfectant. I absolutely hate it when people touch any of the above (as well as keyboard and mouse) and if such happens I desinfectate it with alcohol or cleaning products (I have controllers set up just for multiplayer which I don't mind them touching though). It can get pretty bad at times, I get pretty stressed out and annoyed when someone touches them.

Full-on agreement. It is the only way in our house and it goes far beyond gaming. There are dedicated visitor controllers for when the need arises.

I used to be awful for this kind of thing. Even made my friends go wash their hands if they'd been eating something before I'd let them use my controller. That never went down well. Not sure why but I just stopped caring about it one day. I can just clean the controllers afterwards after all.

I must admit that letting my friends wipe their greasy fingers all over my Vita screen recently was difficult though. :lol

I like to leave the dirt, grease and crust on. As they slowly begin to accumulate, they form ridged, more grippy surfaces on the sides of the controller, the buttons and the sticks which I think gives me a competitive edge when I go online.

DJ_Lae

Sweaty hands don't bother me so much (although my hands generally don't get all that sweaty) but as far as grease goes, I always wash my hands before I use my computer or pick up a controller.

UFRA

I wipe down my controller, Vita, etc. after every gaming session so that they're always fresh the next time I go to play.

I NEVER eat anything while I'm gaming, unless I'm getting up and grabbing a cookie or something in between levels while the game loads. Then I wash my hands before resuming play.

/OCD

JordanKZ

I never eat and game at the same time. I'd prefer to take a break, grab something to eat and come back.

As for hand sweat? My hands are constantly freezing due to poor hand circulation, so no sweaty hands for me. Ever. Super handy.

My keyboard is a biohazard.

Only because I can't be bothered cleaning it. Last time I tried I broke one since I disassembled it to make it easier to clean.

My mouse is alright though.

I recently took an hour or so to clean my keyboard. Probably the first time ever in god knows how many years. Feels a bit fresher now. I do clean the mouse regularly, both at home and the one at work. Mostly because it tends to get stuck on all that dust and dirt underneath it.

Controllers are mostly fine, but I once made the mistake of eating cheese snacks as I was playing some early PS2 game. The controller was absolutely covered in filth. Last time I ever did that.

I tend to like to play games vigorously, so it happens. But I am pretty OCD about the cleanup. I've been known to cover my controller with a thin cloth while I play to avoid any slipping or whatnot, as well as grime.

Top Bottom