• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great Dungeon in the Sky: Diablo meets Pokemon meets Spelunky

gdits.jpg

Thread title and image shamelessly stolen from RPS.

As near as I can tell, GDitS is sort of a 2D run-n-gun RPG type thing, but with the graphical style of Spelunky and when you kill enemies that you don't already have you can play as them. The individual characters are pretty diverse; each have individual sprites and unique powers, some have special traits, and some have cooldown times on the powers so you can't rocket around killing everything.

Play it here.

BooJoh

I'm really liking this so far. it's simple, but I could see myself spending way too much time trying to unlock every character.

Malio

LOL pretty cool so far. But I am terrible at it! Archer seems good, and mage. Thanks for the heads up, fun game.

Yaweee

Controls are the arrow keys, and z x c for each of the three abilities. Every skill you use creates a blue meter near your health bar, and you can't use another skill until the cooldown is over. The CD time varies per skill.

Pretty cool, but needs work.

- Despite the huge map grid there's only a few levels repeated over and over.
- Everything has 25 health, making the stat meaningless.
- It's a bit annoying to pick a class and realize how long the cooldowns are. Skill descriptions and CD times for abilities at the character select screen would be useful.
- Controls are too loose, making platforming kind of suck, especially when ascending back and forth across staggered platforms.

I'll probably sign up for the guy's site and make suggestions. Makers of games like this always seem happy to release many, many revisions for their games.

Mummy Lord owns!

Ranger
Drow Ranger

are also good. Ranged attacks are very useful. Melee kind of sucks.

BooJoh

I'm liking the Paladin. Thrust is melee with good range, which seems to stun some enemies, arrows are harder to aim but otherwise good, and cure lets me heal up between enemies.

I tried a purple slime thing once and all it had was "Magic Jump" which seemd to be a slightly higher jump. It died pretty fast :lol I saw a chicken but couldn't kill it because it was too fast :(

Diablo meets Pokemon meets Spelunky?

You mean it's like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon?

Edit: gave it a try, and yes...loosely, it is. Still very fun though.

I saw a chicken but couldn't kill it because it was too fast :(

Use Magic Missile from a distance. They'll just sit there and take it.

So far I really like the flying classes. Stonegazer is my current personal fave.

Best class name so far?
Dire Baby

Had me at "meets Spelunky".

I really love that sprite set. A lot of games have been coming out of that TIGSource competition with it, and it's got such a cute old-school charm.

Belfast

Thunder Dragon FTW (100 health + flight + shock)!

I do like some of the references in the game though. I've unlocked Yoda, the Red and Orange Knights from Castle Crashers, and a Shy Guy amongst other things.

Too bad the difficulty of the game, and *real* variety is so trivial. :\

After a few run-throughs (yeah, sorry for posting in this thread so much) I noticed the game doesn't really feel finished. I completed the game three times, and still have something like 73 characters to unlock. Certain groups of unlockables don't appear at all in the levels, such as
the regular elves, and any gremlins except for Yoda
. Also, there are apparently 20 different final bosses, so that's a LOT of games for you to get 100%.

The creator made a post in another forum that it was indeed not quite finished, and

Since lots of new people are playing this all of a sudden, I’ll try and update it over the weekend with some new levels and unlocking things.

I'm willing to give it another chance if he does. As it stands, I'm not about to play the game 20 times or so. One unlock per finished game isn't enough right now, but it could be if more things were actually in the levels.

Agnates

Banned
Dungeons of Fayte was a far better use of the assets in that TIGSource assembly contest imo. But this gets points for being played in a browser.
tavern.bmp
18776_1295723548551_1094198345_931060_6823392_n.jpg
18776_1295723668554_1094198345_931063_6135673_n.jpg

Controls are similar to Zelda, 8-way movement etc. Lots of funny random events. Structure is, go to dungeon, finish it (or fail, or just reach the exit, but it's best to try and clear it in order to maximise your stat gain obviously), spend the next week raising your stats by doing jobs and such in the city, go to the next dungeon, etc, until the bone lord shows up in town and you either defeat him or fail and get your own customised ending (whether you win or lose). 4 player co-op (on 1 PC). Funny story and events, and good variety in the dungeons and enemies. The combat is fun. 360 (and maybe any?) pad supported.

upandaway

It's nice at first but then you realize you've been playing the same 5 levels over and over again, and at some point you just want to find all the dragons so you sprint through the level without killing anyone (even faster now because you played the level 5 times before and know precisely where the goal is). It starts to get pretty silly when you unlock the first dragon, because then you just fly over the levels in about 10 seconds.
It doesn't help that every character is just a different combination of ~10 attacks.

I sound like a total ass now, but really my only complaint is that I need to play the game for more than there is content inside it.

KTallguy

Banned
Really hard to compare this game to Spelunky, which is a highly polished, extremely well made game. This is kids play compared to Spelunky.

This game is awesome. I like how even though there are so many characters, they play differently.

Needs more level variety, and it'll be perfect.

Economan said:
Flying birdman tribe leader is probably the best class. Slash and flying!

Yeah, I noticed that too. Kill dragons without taking damage - fly, swoop over it, staff, rinse and repeat. The dragons don't have very good AI - they can fly, but they don't.

someguyinahat said:
Yeah, I noticed that too. Kill dragons without taking damage - fly, swoop over it, staff, rinse and repeat. The dragons don't have very good AI - they can fly, but they don't.

Tribe leader for general levels - Monk Master for bosses. Pressing C pretty much results in insta-death for anything.

bjork

I beat the four dragons and the boss and it says
it doesn't count as beating it because I didn't unlock everyone. So you start over with all the guys you already unlocked, but the map is entirely closed again. Boo...

Bump for update!

There are now two more levels, including one that contains a final boss monster, as well as an analogue of
2Fort
!

Beating the dragon bosses now unlocks more stuff in that you get
an egg, which hatches into a wyrmling, then a drake, then the dragon.
It's a much cooler system.

The creator also claims some "fixes" but didn't specify. The game only froze twice on me: once when a character used the skill "potion," and once when I tried that same skill myself to confirm it was the problem.

I'd say the game is 50% better now. The birdman tribe leader is still so good it's broken, though, and beating the game with all unlockables gives you
the same screen as beating it all the other times, if you can believe it!
So it's not without its faults, but it's still enjoyable and better than it was.

Top Bottom