• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great game, Great idea, Bad execution

SantaC

I am really enjoying Zelda 4 swords even though I am playing single player only. The idea of a multiplayer Zelda is brilliant of Nintendo. And even though single player is amazing, I can imagine it would be even more enjoyable with 2,3 or 4 players. But it's not only the hazzle of getting 4 GBA that is the problem. It's 4 extra cables also, and since I only own wavebirds I don't want to go back to cords again.

Luckily the single player make this game worth buying anyway, but if Nintendo had found another way to play multiplayer than the GBA connectivity I would give this game a perfect 10.

Now if you have all those extra cables, and friends with GBAs (congrats) I understand it's not a big deal, but since most my friends are not heavily into gaming it would be perfect for them to just grab 3 wavebirds and get into the action.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Execution rocks. Much better than FFCC. Yer smoking crack. THIS is the game that should have sold connectivity, not FFCC.

SantaC

Read my post again if you think this is a hate thread...the game is brilliant, just a couple of things from being flawless.

Mejilan

Man, I had a ROCKIN time sabatoging my brother's attempts at evading Shadow Link's uber bombs. I would laugh myself silly watching him die from my GBA haven, then run up and collect his Force Gems!

Or, unleashing a swarm of cuccoos as I hid away in a GBA building or cave. Hahahahah.

Awesome.

Pimpbaa

This game could have had mutiplayer without the GBAs. It wouldn't be as good, but jeez it would have been better than nothing.

SantaC

The game definitley brings the Link to the past whore back in me. Beautiful 2D style. I just finished level1.

Sagitario

SantaCruZer said:
...the game is brilliant, just a couple of things from being flawless.

Yeah... that is "Bad execution"...
25.gif

SantaCruZer said:
The idea of a multiplayer Zelda is brilliant of Nintendo

Yeah, it really came out of left field, very innovative (read: i'm being sarcastic; people have wanted multiplayer Zelda for years). I swear you Ntards praise Nintendo for anything.

Optimistic said:
Yeah, it really came out of left field, very innovative (read: i'm being sarcastic; people have wanted multiplayer Zelda for years). I swear you Ntards praise Nintendo for anything.
What is it you're optimistic about? Your chances of getting banned within a month?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Optimistic said:

Ntards praise Nintendo for giving them what they have wanted for years? THOSE MANIACS.

I think I hate you.

4 swords for DS please nintendo.

Mejilan

What's really funny, is that you can interpret Optimistic's post in a couple of ways... and none of them make sense. :)

Ever since Ocarina of Time people have wanted multiplayer online Zelda. But regardless, sure, if the way multiplayer is implemented is innovative, then praise away, but please, to say Nintendo is "brilliant" JUST for making a multiplayer Zelda game is just ludicrous.

Optimistic said:
Ever since Ocarina of Time people have wanted multiplayer online Zelda. But regardless, sure, if the way multiplayer is implemented is innovative, then praise away, but please, to say Nintendo is "brilliant" JUST for making a multiplayer Zelda game is just ludicrous.
Oh, well if that's the case then Four Swords still fucking rocks. There's a lot more design thought and polish in there than just putting four Links on the screen.

Regardless, I'm still wondering where I was all those years when 'people' were asking for multiplayer online Zelda since 1998.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Pimpbaa said:
This game could have had mutiplayer without the GBAs. It wouldn't be as good, but jeez it would have been better than nothing.

I agree. I am interested in picking this title up and playing with my bro and sister, but we only have two GBAs. How is two player? Comparable to four? My brother played with Link, Shouta, and Espio and was highly impressed.

Pimpbaa said:
I don't see how, seeing as how multiplayer revolves around each player being able to explore certain areas independently.

Kobun Heat said:
Regardless, I'm still wondering where I was all those years when 'people' were asking for multiplayer online Zelda since 1998.

Oh please, don't try and argue the point, neither of us can prove the other wrong, it's just anecdotal evidence.

Optimistic said:
So you're saying no one wanted Zelda multiplayer, then?
I'm saying that your theory that 'people' have been asking for an online multiplayer Zelda for six years is as far as I can tell not supported by any evidence whatsoever, and I'm wondering if you're going to back it up with anything.

Mejilan

I've been playing quite a bit of 2 player with my brother and it's FANTASTIC. Loads better than single player (which is still quite a bit of fun!)

2 players is nice because both of you can still play around with the single player convention, formations. Though, with less Links each, obviously you will only have access to about half of the formations. Still works quite keenly as is, however. (And, you can always steal your partner's 2nd Link, leaving him with one while you stay with 3.)

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I have to agree with Kobun Heat. Zelda really isn't a game that screams multiplayer. I'm really curious to see who were all of these people who wanted it.

Kobun Heat said:
I'm saying that your theory that 'people' have been asking for an online multiplayer Zelda for six years is as far as I can tell not supported by any evidence whatsoever, and I'm wondering if you're going to back it up with anything.

But you have no evidence that 'people' DIDN'T ask for an online multiplayer Zelda, either! So it's a STALEMATE!

That is how it works, isn't it? One person makes up some ridiculous theory about what has been going through the minds of an undisclosed number of people for years, and if another can't give proof that those people weren't thinking it, then neither of them are wrong!

Optimistic said:
Yeah, it really came out of left field, very innovative (read: i'm being sarcastic; people have wanted multiplayer Zelda for years).
Whether or not people want Q, and whether or not Q is innovative, are two different things.

Hellraizah

Well, your initial interrogation was :

Kobun Heat said:
I don't see how, seeing as how multiplayer revolves around each player being able to explore certain areas independently.

And, whether you like to be in the same room as your friends or not, it COULD have been done online. Maybe they are saving that part for the Nintendo DS version. But even then, you'll have to get a broadband connection and a wireless network at home, which will probably be as painful to get for many people as GC connectivity games with 4 people on GBAs.

Nintendo should include a color LCD screen on every controller for their next gen consoles, at least connectivity wouldn't be so much a pain in the ass.

Kobun Heat said:

I don't have time to search through message boards looking for people who decided to post "hey wouldn't it be great if there was a multiplayer zelda", but that still doesn't prove me wrong. If you want you can post a thread asking people if they've ever wanted a multiplayer Zelda before, I'm sure plenty of people would answer "yes".

Oh, and it's not a "theory", is just what I've observed over the years when the topic of Zelda or multiplayer games has come up.

Hellraizah said:
And, whether you like to be in the same room as your friends or not, it COULD have been done online.
Part of the fun of Four Swords comes from the fact that you're all in the same room, yelling and bickering at each other. Sometimes punches get thrown. You can't replicate that online, nor would you want to try. Voice chat is okay but it's just one small part of the whole equation.

Call me crazy but I belive that nothing can replace real human contact. Nintendo's multiplayer games are built around a goal of specifically encouraging that kind of fun; online games take away from it no matter how 'community-oriented' they are.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Whether or not people want Q, and whether or not Q is innovative, are two different things.

Of course, but multiplayer is such an established gaming invention that it can hardly be called "brilliant" when company X implements it in their game.

bobbyconover said:
But you have no evidence that 'people' DIDN'T ask for an online multiplayer Zelda, either! So it's a STALEMATE!

That is how it works, isn't it? One person makes up some ridiculous theory about what has been going through the minds of an undisclosed number of people for years, and if another can't give proof that those people weren't thinking it, then neither of them are wrong!

Aha, precisely. Like I said it's a pointless argument, and I have no idea why Kobun is persisting with it. I'd like to apologise to the original poster for getting his thread off track.

Optimistic said:
Like I said it's a pointless argument, and I have no idea why Kobun is persisting with it. I'd like to apologise to the original poster for getting his thread off track.
I agree. It would be so much better if you could just come into an open forum, make a blanket statement, call people retarded, and have no one question you about it.

Hellraizah

Kobun Heat said:
Part of the fun of Four Swords comes from the fact that you're all in the same room, yelling and bickering at each other. Sometimes punches get thrown. You can't replicate that online, nor would you want to try. Voice chat is okay but it's just one small part of the whole equation.

Call me crazy but I belive that nothing can replace real human contact. Nintendo's multiplayer games are built around a goal of specifically encouraging that kind of fun; online games take away from it no matter how 'community-oriented' they are.
It's all right, but you know, how many people will play with 4 GBAs ? I don't know, but with my schedule, I have a hard time getting 3 of my friends together at the same time, the same place, now how am I gonna do this but with 4 GBAs ???

That's why I like online gaming, you wanna play with someone, you just call and say "Get on Xbox Live". You don't have to move, yeah, it's not as good as being in the same room with them, but sometimes it's better not to......... smell ....... some of them.

Anyways, get the 2 options together "connectivity" and "online", give me the choice, and I'm sold on this game.

Kobun Heat said:

Yes. I would be having about 1/5th as much fun if I weren't able to praise, taunt, and laugh with and at my friends, face to face, as we play through the game. I don't know if I'd say that Nintendo is "brilliant" for doing things this way, but I definitely prefer it to the alternative.

The game also has a silliness about it that allows for all kinds of hilarious situations, both accidental and intended, to play out as you're playing. That, to me, is one of the essential reasons why the game is so fun - it's specifically, deliberately tooled to make it fun just to mess around, whether by lighting each other on fire, picking up your teammates and tossing them off of cliffs, or whatever else. It seems like a no-brainer, but a pretty shocking number of games don't put any consideration at all into that kind of basic, pointless, fun gameplay.

Let's get this straight right now: implementing multiplayer is not an obvious or easy thing to do in every game. Zelda is a perfect example. The multiplayer gameplay is very finely tuned to feel like the single player games, while adding many experiences that not only haven't been done in a Zelda game but have rarely, if ever, been tried in any game. This is not like tacking on an alternating two-player mode in a 2D sidescroller. Multiplayer Zelda requires a complete redesign of the series gameplay. So yes, I'll call Nintendo "brilliant" for pulling it off so well.

kiryogi

Banned
Mejilan said:
Man, I had a ROCKIN time sabatoging my brother's attempts at evading Shadow Link's uber bombs. I would laugh myself silly watching him die from my GBA haven, then run up and collect his Force Gems!

Or, unleashing a swarm of cuccoos as I hid away in a GBA building or cave. Hahahahah.

Awesome.

Being an ass is always great fun! Boy, I need to revive four swords plus nights XD But it's hard to capture the magic of 4 player with only 3 D:

sp0rsk said:
chipopopo won this thread.
Oh please, he didn't win shit.

Jonnyboy117 said:
Let's get this straight right now: implementing multiplayer is not an obvious or easy thing to do in every game. Zelda is a perfect example. The multiplayer gameplay is very finely tuned to feel like the single player games, while adding many experiences that not only haven't been done in a Zelda game but have rarely, if ever, been tried in any game. This is not like tacking on an alternating two-player mode in a 2D sidescroller. Multiplayer Zelda requires a complete redesign of the series gameplay. So yes, I'll call Nintendo "brilliant" for pulling it off so well.

I never said the execution wasn't brilliant (I can't comment on that as I haven't played it). However, my issue wasn't with that -

SantaCruZer said:
The idea of a multiplayer Zelda is brilliant of Nintendo.

See? This guy said the *idea* was brilliant, not the execution (he hasn't played the multiplayer aspect of it either).

Kobun Heat said:
I agree. It would be so much better if you could just come into an open forum, make a blanket statement, call people retarded, and have no one question you about it.

I took this to PMs as I didn't want to derail the thread any further, but if you insist...

When did I call anyone retarded? And question me about it? Saying "people have wanted a multiplayer zelda for years" is equivalent to saying "I saw a brown dog the other day". Can I prove it? No. Did I probably see a brown dog? Yes. So likewise, it's likely I *have* heard people comment on the possibilities of a Zelda multiplayer game before. It's not like I claimed that Sega was releasing a new console - a statement which could certainly be supported or denied by evidence. See the difference?

etiolate

Banned
I've been clamoring for another douchebag for years! Finally this thread hears my screaming prayers and delivers one. Whoohoo!

AniHawk

Wellington said:
I agree. I am interested in picking this title up and playing with my bro and sister, but we only have two GBAs. How is two player? Comparable to four? My brother played with Link, Shouta, and Espio and was highly impressed.

It's not really comparable to the mayhem that is four player, but I've mostly only played it with my sister (just started world 5), and it's been a very fun game. Lots of puzzles, and after a while, the greed for force gem stops. I've died dozens of times in the game, but never have had a Game Over, so the enemies are difficult without being mind-numbingly frustrating.

Soul4ger

This thread makes me laugh. Giggle, giggle.

I agree with Kobun 100%. There's really nothing like playing with a group of screaming buddies. And Zelda: FSA perfectly balances cooperation and competition, it really makes things crazy. Online gaming is great, I spent more than a few hours on Xbox Live playing PSO with some buddies, but I definitely enjoyed it more when I played two-player with my roommate offline.

Top Bottom