• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great Giana Sisters Remake Coming to DS (PR, Screens)

I actually like the graphics more than New Super Mario Bros. I really didn't like the blurry prerendered sprites and 3D models.

When seeing screens of the old one I thought the too-wide blocks were a result of some strange resolution goings-on on the old computers. Images based around non-square pixels not displaying properly without resizing on a modern monitor or whatever. Buuut now I see that was intentional, as it's retained for the DS game.

jarosh

:O this looks really neat.

Campster said:
We ran out of ideas a long time ago.
you're the biggest party pooper and negative nancy on gaf ever. do you ever have any FUN in your life?

NZNova

Balls of steel to pull this off. They were pushing their luck the first time.

Although it was a fun game :D

Gazunta

OH MY FUCKING GOD

GOD FUCKING MY OH

OH GOD FUCKING MY

MY GOD FUCKING OH

FUCKING GOD OH MY

ATTENTION PUBLISHERS: CANCEL ALL OTHER GAME RELEASES THERE IS NO POINT NOW

Looks real good from the video, I was watching a youtube of the original and some of the areas in the new video are the same as the old but with extra routes, a nice touch.

alex1893

adamma666 said:
:eek:

oh the memories...

so that's system seller no. 2 for me (after Chrono Trigger), I need a DS in early 2009.

Original versions for those who are interested:
C64: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMTdr026bZU
Amiga: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vWUzQiQUY0

CTLance said:
:-O Blast from the past!

Cool beans. On my watchlist. I hope they don't fuck this up.

Turrican next, please.
yeah, that would be awesome.

Gazunta

Just saw the video. LOVE IT. The addition of the bubbles and the teleports and more frequent mid level checkpoints are just AAAAAAAAH WHY CANT IT BE OUT NOW IM GOING TO PUT MYSELF IN THE FREEZER AND NOT COME OUT UNTIL RELEASE DATE.

OK I'm biased because this is a game that I still play more or less daily (DS homebrew port is fantastic) but this totally feels like a real Giana game. The music's ace too.

I really don't think there'll be any legal issues here. Rainbow Arts weren't sued by Nintendo over it - just given an order to take the game off the shelves. (Hugs his c64 cassette copy) These days a 2D Mario-esque platformer isn't a contentious issue, but back then it was a really big deal.

June 2009. God DAMN it!!!

Okay. I never played the original, because I never had a C64 or Amiga, so I feel no particular fondness for Euro clones of Japanese games. But this looks surprisingly good. The art and animation are cute, I'm digging the multiple layers of parallax, and the music is nice, laid-back, poppy stuff that reminds me of Umihara Kawase. I think I might pick this up.

Mar

Waaaaatttt..... uh.. How? This game was pulled off shelves back in the day. It's a letter for letter copy of Mario Bros. How in the hell will this be allowed to be released? Sure, there are a million Mario clones these days. But not a direct rip off. I can't see how this will be allowed to happen.

I hope it does though. While I didn't think the original was that interesting (I didn't like Mario either though), I love C64 games and any remakes will get my support and cash moneys.

Kid Chameleon came out on Wii fine, and it has mechanics that draw pretty heavily on Mario. This one doesn't look like it rips off level design or sound effects like the original Giana did, so I don't see it having a problem.

No Mandred Trenz or Chris Huelsbeck? Hmm, we'll see... it wouldn't be the same without them working on the game, for sure. But yeah, it is pretty weird it's back. I mean, I'd never have guessed that, particularly not on a Nintendo platform... how weird.

OuterWorldVoice said:
I'm confused. Didn't Nintendo sue them? And now they're manufacturing the DS cart for them?

They didn't sue, they just pressured the company into stopping selling it, presumably under threat of a lawsuit... not that that's too different.

Anyway, it might be kind of like KC Munchkin -- that is, it's not actually IDENTICAL to SMB, just like how KC Munchkin actually had some innovations when compared to Pac-Man despite Magnavox losing a court case about the matter. Rainbow Arts were just too close and Nintendo managed to press them into giving up, it seems... but really, there's nothing consistent on this stuff. I mean, there are so many games that are such blatant clones, yet only a few get banned? This is a pretty blatant Mario clone, but a lot of other games were that weren't pulled, I think... though this does copy a lot of Mario's basic gameplay concepts for sure. It's not like it's just a reskin of Super Mario Brothers, though... watch a lot of the Amiga video there and you'll see what I mean when I say that it's definitely not exactly the same.

C64: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMTdr026bZU
Amiga: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vWUzQiQUY0

The gameplay is Super Mario Bros., but with completely different level designs, graphics, and sound and some new or altered gameplay elements.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
When they pressured Rainbow Arts (I think they made the game?), Super Mario was still relatively new, and they had everything to lose if a clone got more popular. They had to pressure them into not selling the game, so it wouldn't hurt future sales (and they probably already had big plans for Mario and co).

Today, Mario's status is set in stone and nothing can push it down the throne as THE videogame character everyone recognizes. It's pretty much what Mickey Mouse is to Disney. Having Great Giana Sisters released on their console only improves their goodwill, and will in no way affect Super Mario's status. Not to mention, since they're probably aware of the nostalgic value it have among oldtimers, it could potentially pull some more hardware sales.

Although I'd be happier if they released it on XBLA/PSN.

Is it wrong that one youtube video later this is one of my most anticipated games? All Nintendo has to do is keep the DS alive forever and keep a steady trickle of respectable 2D platformers coming out and I will be happy. Of course I want to be wowed by the newest most cutting edge electronic entertainment as well, but this pure bred old school shit is what nourishes my gaming soul.

Trevor360

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
nourishes my gaming soul.
excellent.jpg

meppi

Never hear of this game as I always have been and arcade+console gamer and not a computer gamer.

But this is looking incredible! We need more games like this.
Clearly to see where it got it's inspiration from, but that doesn't really matter.

HUELEN10

It looks GOOD?!?!?!?

Do want. Hope it comes out in USA!

So, what are the names of the 2 sisters? Could you pick either one in the original? Is there a "b-dash"?

Old artwork made it look like they are middle-aged, but the end of the trailer made one of them look young.

adamma666

A Black Falcon said:
No Mandred Trenz or Chris Huelsbeck? Hmm, we'll see... it wouldn't be the same without them working on the game, for sure.

Trenz already played Giana Sisters DS and it got his approval, Huelsbeck is supervising the music so that the game should be really close to the original in this aspect. at least Armin Gessert is the programmer (did the original), so the game should be fine.

HUELEN10 said:
It looks GOOD?!?!?!?

Do want. Hope it comes out in USA!

So, what are the names of the 2 sisters? Could you pick either one in the original? Is there a "b-dash"?

Old artwork made it look like they are middle-aged, but the end of the trailer made one of them look young.

Middle aged? What? Um, no... here's the actual original boxart. Definitely young...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/70/The_Great_Giana_Sisters_Coverart.png

neopokekun said:
Giana and Maria.

The thing that I'm a bit worried about is that the bubble part looks and sounds like a blow into the microphone thing.

Yeah, player one is Giana and two is Maria, in the original game at least. Like the original SMB's Mario and Luigi, they're just palette swaps*+9285.

adamma666 said:
Trenz already played Giana Sisters DS and it got his approval, Huelsbeck is supervising the music so that the game should be really close to the original in this aspect. at least Armin Gessert is the programmer (did the original), so the game should be fine.

Really? That's good, then... it should be good then. :)

Pimpbaa

I owned a loved the c64. But I could none of my friends had the game, and the rat bastards who did have the game wouldn't give me a copy. Buying it was out of the question back then, because I couldn't find it anywhere.

Mar

adamma666 said:

Wow, nice.

Now where's my Turrican 1 + 2 remake Trenz.

This will be my DS GOTY. I can't wait. Just hearing the music gives me goosebumps. It looks amazing. I want it to have like a faux C64 loading screen, just to finish me off so i probably start crying from nostalgia overload.

Top Bottom