• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greatest Science Fiction Films Of All Time

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Decide to make a list of all those "must-see" sci-fi films.

The list is unranked and listed in release order.

New Updated List:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
how is Annihilation not on a list that long

it’s better than most movies on that list

edit: wait is this your list? I read that as a list put together by Decider. you should still watch Annihilation

Last edited by a moderator:

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
how is Annihilation not on a list that long

it’s better than most movies on that list

edit: wait is this your list? I read that as a list put together by Decider. you should still watch Annihilation
Starship Troopers?
Galaxy quest is shockingly missing, for shame OP
Event horizon

The list is still ongoing, I have left a few out as I'm still building it. Will add the above films. I have see Annihilation, I really did like it.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
People that don't rank lists have no cajones.

Truth, but as soon as you start ranking and say X film is better than Y film, the whole point of the list fails. The whole reason for me to ever compile a list is never to say X is better than Y but it's for someone who isn't into a genre but may want to explore it and they can use the list as a starting point to start that exploration of a genre.

teezzy

Banned
I like Firefly, but I don't think Serenity is an all time great sci-fi film

lxsizrn.jpg

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the list is missing some of the older sci fi classics.

Forbidden Planet (1956)
An effects-heavy landmark film known for many firsts (first man-made FTL ship, first movie to take place entirely on another planet, first to use an entirely electronic score). Robby the Robot as one of the first robots with a personality, he was so expensive he took up 7% of the movie's budget.

The Time Travelers (1964)
A mind blowing movie that has lots of great special effect sequences plus an ending that is as big a mind fuck as anything Nolan has created.

Excellent list, OP, most of the classics are on there, and your list spans a wide spectrum of time and space.

Please consider these, they most certainly belong in anyone's list of essentials:
Demolition Man - Everything it satirized is painfully true today
Dredd - an 80s action film made in 2012
Tetsuo the Iron Man - ultimate body horror, trippy af
The Man who Fell to Earth - mesmerizing tale of David Bowie as an alien
Deathrace 2000 - The best thing Roger Corman ever produced
Mad Max 1 & 2 - Fury Road impressive but these were groundbreaking back then
The Blob & it's 80s remake - right up there with bodysnatchers
The Thing - Can't have Alien/Predator and not have this one
Fantastic Planet - experimental animated headtrip
Nausicaa Valley of the Wind - Ghibli's debut is sci fi
Castle in the Sky - More fun than Nausicaa
Redline - The visuals are mindblowing
Upgrade - a modern indie sleeper
New Planet of the Apes Trilogy - each film is a different genre, all telling on epic tale
A Boy and His Dog - Mad Max, but weirder
Save the Green Planet - what if all crazy conspiracies were true
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - Intimate time travel story

My bone to pick:
1984 - Seminal book, none of the adaptations are seminal
Star Wars Ep. IV -This is where it all started, how could you not include this? No ep IV, no Darth, no lightsabers, no tie fighters
The Prestige - Is this really a sci fi film?

EDIT: Shit, how could I forget Cronenberg?? Gotta have The Fly, Naked Lunch, Dead Zone

Last edited:

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Excellent list, OP, most of the classics are on there, and your list spans a wide spectrum of time and space.

Please consider these, they most certainly belong in anyone's list of essentials:
Demolition Man - Everything it satirized is painfully true today
Dredd - an 80s action film made in 2012
Tetsuo the Iron Man - ultimate body horror, trippy af
The Man who Fell to Earth - mesmerizing tale of David Bowie as an alien
Deathrace 2000 - The best thing Roger Corman ever produced
Mad Max 1 & 2 - Fury Road impressive but these were groundbreaking back then
The Blob & it's 80s remake - right up there with bodysnatchers
The Thing - Can't have Alien/Predator and not have this one
Fantastic Planet - experimental animated headtrip
Nausicaa Valley of the Wind - Ghibli's debut is sci fi
Castle in the Sky - More fun than Nausicaa
Redline - The visuals are mindblowing
Upgrade - a modern indie sleeper
New Planet of the Apes Trilogy - each film is a different genre, all telling on epic tale
A Boy and His Dog - Mad Max, but weirder
Save the Green Planet - what if all crazy conspiracies were true
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - Intimate time travel story

My bone to pick:
1984 - Seminal book, none of the adaptations are seminal
Star Wars Ep. IV -This is where it all started, how could you not include this? No ep IV, no Darth, no lightsabers, no tie fighters
The Prestige - Is this really a sci fi film?

Thanks for the suggestions, will add some of the above to the list.

I think The Prestige is sci-fi or victorian sci-fi to phrase it better. I think it is due to the Tesla subplot.

teezzy

Banned
I like Firefly, but I don't think Serenity is an all time great sci-fi film

As a less trolling response, I had a lot of fun with Serenity. I saw it prior to watching Firefly.

Then I watched Firefly and suddenly adored Serenity. Is it top 5? No, but it's top 6 for me, personally.

Cheers, eot. <3

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: eot

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Arrival.

Not only my personal favourite, but it also has one of the best soundtracks of any movie. The music in some scenes is truly alien and incredibly haunting.

Cannibalistic

Neo Member
On the Silver Globe directed by Andrzej Zulawksi.

Wild sci fi. Incredible experience. If you're a fan of 2001 or just like pondering what it means to be human, I highly recommend this film.

*Can be hard to find.

On-the-Silver-Globe-2016.jpg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Wouldn't consider Frankenstein as SF at all. The science in it is basically stage-dressing, and aside from setting up the core premise of a modern Prometheus it plays no role in the story or its worldview.

I mean if you compare it to something like, say, Blade Runner, there's a speculative and futuristic dimension to the whole scenario, beyond the core concerns of what it is to be human.

Not trying to be super purist or anything, just that SF, Fantasy, and Horror may be adjacent genres but they are not the same. No matter how hard the media might carelessly lump them together now they are the pop-cultural mainstream.

Top Bottom