• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greatest show (thats a concert you non-Chicago shitfucks) you have ever been to...?

appaws

Banned
So what is the greatest live show you have ever been to? Pick the greatest and describe it. NO LISTS...pick ONE!

Mine:

Chicago at Reggie's Rock Club. Jughead from Screeching Weasel's 50th Birthday show.

The Manges from Italy, who are the best currently active Pop Punk band, IMO.
Even in Blackouts, an acoustic punk band with Jughead from SW and a female lead singer they met who was not a punk, and was actually a trained classical singer.
The Mopes, with Dan Vapid formerly of SW. He was also in The Methadones and the played some of their songs.
The Lillingtons from Wyoming, who are just sick good, and all their albums are themed, like one about monster movies, one about aliens, etc.

Finally, after all that, Jughead, Vapid, and whole bunch of people from the other bands came together and did a whole bunch of Screeching Weasel songs, with all different people singing. I thought it would be a surprise and Ben would come out and do some at the end...but I have learned since then about the abject hate that destroyed the band...and that would never have actually happened. I just thought I saw a shaven headed guy hiding at the side of the stage, but I was imagining it I guess. All in all it was a pop punk dream show and every one of the 7-8 people I went with was just floored that we got to see a lineup like this.

UPfzF78.jpg

Saw Against Me! back in 2003, my “punk rock years,” or whatever

Reel Big Fish, Alkaline Trio, Reggie and the Full Effect, and Bouncing Souls were there too, but Against Me! melted my fucking brain.

We Laugh At Danger And Break All The Rules is such a great live song

I love Norah Jones, and I saw her live a few years ago and it was phenomenal. She's better live than studio recordings.

I realize that's a really tame (boring?) artist for many here probably, but I like my mellow. And her voice takes me places. Best live show I've ever seen.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Honestly, I dont know. So here's a list you deep dish pizza eatin' shitheel.

Deftones - Adrenaline tour, super small club. Bad Brains opened.

Meshuggah - latest tour. Right up front, small venue. The whole pit was all positive people that didnt get offended moshing.

311 - Soundsystem tour, hugely popular. They played ultra small venues only. Camped out for 24 hrs.

Smashing pumpkins - two tours ago. Played for literally 3 hrs. Billy Corgan sounds 100% flawless live. Makes it look effortless.

Soundgarden - last tour. 2nd to last show before he killed himself. Sounded flawless. Dillinger Escape Plan opened.

Decapitated - saw them once at a small venue with all the original members before they died. Seen them multiple times since. Stood on practically the side of the stage and just stared at the drummer the whole time.

Sigur Ros - great show. Touring their 3rd album I believe, in the 90s.

Failure - latest tour. Just thr most pro rock band I've ever seen. Pro sound quality.

Karnivool - small venue, touring from Australia. Some of the most crushing vocals I've ever heard live.

Early warped tour - Deftones headlining, Around the Fur just released. Outside. People pitting in a dust storm ground torn up. 2 people wearing gas masks in the pit lol.

I'm positive I'm forgetting a lot more. Been to several hundred shows for 25 years.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
Surprisingly, it was probably Depeche Mode at Madison Square Garden. I do like them, but I've seen plenty of bands that I like more - it's just that everything happened to click at this one particular show. The band was on point, I was with a group of good friends, the beers were flowing just right (pregame included) and our seats were great. It was bliss.

TaySan

Banned
Seeing Defeat Sanity at the Riot Room in Kansas City was amazing. They did a kick ass job as well as the other bands playing. Got to hang out with some of them too which was cool. :)

kingbean

Judas Priest. Seen them 3 times excellent each time.
Blind Guardian. Seen them 3 times excellent each time, better than studio IMO.
Lamb of God. Seen them, you guessed it, 3 times. Great energy.

Dark Star

Honestly, I dont know. So here's a list you deep dish pizza eatin' shitheel.

Deftones - Adrenaline tour, super small club. Bad Brains opened.

Meshuggah - latest tour. Right up front, small venue. The whole pit was all positive people that didnt get offended moshing.

311 - Soundsystem tour, hugely popular. They played ultra small venues only. Camped out for 24 hrs.

Smashing pumpkins - two tours ago. Played for literally 3 hrs. Billy Corgan sounds 100% flawless live. Makes it look effortless.

Soundgarden - last tour. 2nd to last show before he killed himself. Sounded flawless. Dillinger Escape Plan opened.

Decapitated - saw them once at a small venue with all the original members before they died. Seen them multiple times since. Stood on practically the side of the stage and just stared at the drummer the whole time.

Sigur Ros - great show. Touring their 3rd album I believe, in the 90s.

Failure - latest tour. Just thr most pro rock band I've ever seen. Pro sound quality.

Karnivool - small venue, touring from Australia. Some of the most crushing vocals I've ever heard live.

Early warped tour - Deftones headlining, Around the Fur just released. Outside. People pitting in a dust storm ground torn up. 2 people wearing gas masks in the pit lol.

I'm positive I'm forgetting a lot more. Been to several hundred shows for 25 years.

Hot damn ... you got good taste. Some of my favorite bands right there, but I have only seen Deftones live. RIP CHI. It must have been incredible seeing them during the Adrenaline era. That's some real OG shit. Saw them in 2016 and they weren't too shabby.

Decapitated and Meshuggah are so badass. The best metal concert I've been to is easily Cannibal Corpse touring with Behemoth in 2015. Absolutely bonkers. But yeah, I also missed out seeing them earlier in their career.

Last edited:

Grieves

I saw Queen at Knebwoth at the end of The Magic Tour in 1986. Although we didn't know it at the time it was their last show with Freddie.

Nirvana at Reading in 1992. Actually the whole weekend was mad but Nirvana Sunday night finished the weekend perfectly.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I saw Queen at Knebwoth at the end of The Magic Tour in 1986. Although we didn't know it at the time it was their last show with Freddie.

Nirvana at Reading in 1992. Actually the whole weekend was mad but Nirvana Sunday night finished the weekend perfectly.
Damn, those are historic shows dude.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Buzzcocks and Carter USM at the Kidderminster Market Tavern in 1990 (ish)...Carter's DAT machine broke down, it all got a bit chaotic and glorious.
The Kidderminster Market Tavern was quite the place of legend for an English indie-kid in the UK during the late 80's/early 90's.

Oh, and QoTSA playing Birmingham's (then) Carling Academy during their Rated R tour.
Josh Homme had busted his leg up so was on all sorts of "medication", so we got lots of long, jazzy,improv desert blues jams at the end of each song because he was so out of it. One of the best, easily but that band always put on a good show.

Last edited:

Old Retro

Saw Onxy when their hit SLAM was big, circa mid 90s. It's a fucking trip when the whole crowd starts jumping up and down when that track plays. Have also been to shows and met real emcee's like Das EFX and KRS-One.

Above & Beyond was a real treat to see in person. Very uplifting!

SpiceRacz

Saw Prince in 2013 in a smaller venue. He played for nearly 3 hours. Dude had incredible energy for his age/shitty health and hadn't lost a step. Band of Horses at the Greek Theater in LA was good. Also enjoyed seeing The Cramps shortly before the lead singer died.

Most fun I had at a single show would probably be Andrew W. K. when he was still getting a little airtime. The whole energy of the show was just insane happiness.

The best part of the show, however, is that it was in sunny Orlando, far away from the icy hell of Chicago.

Top Bottom