• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greg Miller Hates PC gaming, So Should you?

GymWolf

Indeed. I really hope that Paradox port CKIII to the consoles at some point like they did with Stellaris, because it's just fucking too good not to be multi-platform. Everyone needs to experience the joy of infanticide and cucking your brothers/sons for the sake of Dynasty.

^Truth. The RGB Quad SLI behemoth crowd is certainly out there, but as the Steam Hardware Survey shows, most people aren't doing that thing.
I was not talking about hardware, just the tinkering.

I do some tinkering because i have to, not because i like the process.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Gregory James Miller is an American Internet personality and former editor and video host of the entertainment website IGN.
Ok yeah, he worked for IGN so what ?
I'm sorry if I'm a little bit harsh, this is probably the accumulation with this other Dirt 5 tread

Kindafunny

TheContact

That tweet just comes off as ignorant. Even if you're not a person that likes to mess with configuration options, they're completely optional. "automatically detect settings" has been in PC games for decades now. Even if you don't like building computers, you can buy pre-configured ones. Even if you don't like windows, you can install SteamOS and use a controller. His tweet comes off as "options are bad, but you do you".

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Also

SeparateScalyAntbear-size_restricted.gif

ps3_ylod_anim.gif

People really need to eat some member berries from time to time.
My xb1 crashes games way more often than my pc; it's not even close.

TaroYamada

Honestly it kind of squares with the fake nerd persona, so this isn't surprising and I'm unsure why we'd care.

In fairness though, we're here commenting on it.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Who the fuck is Greg Miller and why the fuck should I care what he said.

My point is, OP you should stop giving a fuck of some stranger dictating what you like or wanted to do

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Who the fuck is Greg Miller and why the fuck should I care what he said.

My point is, OP you should stop giving a fuck of some stranger dictating what you like or wanted to do

As the OP I don't really care what his opinion is, just find it Kinda funy (lol) that someone that does game shit for his job would tweet something like that.

teezzy

Banned
He’s right. The amount of times I’ve seen PC gamers fanboying it up on social media, only to eventually end up asking for tips how to fix something, is hilarious.

Even with emulators like Dolphin, years ago, when it was more unstable, it was non-stop promotion, with zero mention of how hard it was to run some games, or get them working.

But, for some people, having the best experience money can buy, whether it be new games, or old ones in image quality console gamers could only dream of, is totally worth that.

It would just be nice if people were more honest about PC gaming’s strengths and drawbacks. The ‘it’s just a better console!’ ‘Set it and forget it!’, is just so fucking misleading.

MODS - GET ITT!!!!

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's not focussing on the negative, it's reality.

I skipped a console generation and went PC only because I'm happy to do what's necessary when it goes wrong, and I'm happy to do what's optional when it goes right. I'm there for the results and willing to put in the time and effort to get them. I'm happy to go looking for an Xinput wrapper on Github so I use a modern controller on an old PC port, and I'm happy to go searching forums here there and everywhere when a game doesn't launch. Even something as simple as tweaking settings for framerate targets still requires a basic knowledge of what things are and do.

I also know full well that I'm the only person in my social circle that has a PC for gaming and that none of the others are willing to do any of the when they can buy a console, stick in their games, and just play.

Who's wrong? No one is.

My point is that thinking about it in terms of the hurdles you need to overcome once in a blue moon is too pessimistic. Yea maybe downloading a Xinput wrapper on Github is a pain, but that also means the PC lets you play a really old game on a controller it never was designed for, and you don't need to remaster beg for the right to re-buy it to play it. Yea sometimes drivers fuck up or whatever but it also means you can customize your hardware how you want and run games far beyond console.

Like I ran into issues getting System Shock 2 to run in ultrawide on my monitor at 60fps. I could say, well PC gaming amirite. Or I could say, I am trying to play a 23 year old PC masterpiece on my current PC on my current monitor, both of which didn't even come close to existing when the game came out. I still need to figure that out btw...

The people who say, "oh PC is too much of a pain in the ass" really only look at the downside. Which makes sense for the normies, but for people who care enough about vidya to post on a forum like this or twitter? It's kind of weird.

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
Just proves how dumb he is if he can't figure out a PC. They're really fool proof now. My five year old and nine year old kids know how to use a computer and I didn't have to teach them anything. They go on Steam, Roblox, Epic store as they wish with no problems.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It does not surprise me that a petulant narcissistic manchild who thinks he can lecture people on what is morally just and what is not would also hate PC gaming. These are not the kind of people that like to think very hard.

Fitzchiv

Fuck me, those of us who remember PC gaming in the 90's - the sheer terror of seeing what kind of hostile, dismissive and sometimes violent reaction time your Pentium 2: 350hz with a Voodoo 2 card rammed in it would have to a seemingly harmless and untaxing game - will appreciate that PC gaming is a huge amount better now.

Does it offer the benefits over console that make what little extra hassle there is worth it? Not sure really. Isn't it just limited to the odd play with a resolution slider?

jigglet

Banned
Just proves how dumb he is if he can't figure out a PC. They're really fool proof now.

Yes it's so different these days. It was so buggy like 20 years ago. Windows was just utter shite in the late 90's and early 00's. Also back in the day, every time you joined a new server in CS, you'd need to download the anti cheat for that particular server, now it's all unified under Steam.

Also hardware is so much easier to deal with now that harddrives don't have the whole master / slave concept (not that it was hard to begin with but it's just gotten even simpler...plug and play).

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I don't understand this. I can't even remember the last time I had an issue with a game. It's literally been years.

Guess I've been extraordinarily lucky.

Keihart

I already kinda dislike it so no need to convince me, but some hoops are worth it like setting up VR on PC.
Did OP make a thread just to bitch about Greg MIller? Did he killed your dog or is there something else you are no sharing OP?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't understand this. I can't even remember the last time I had an issue with a game. It's literally been years.

Guess I've been extraordinarily lucky.
Last issue I had was with Metal Gear Rising, as connecting the PC to my TV via HDMI made the game run at 24fps for reasons I could not comprehend.

5 minutes of googling later the issue was solved, so yeah, that soy guy is a prick.

YuLY

Oh look, its our favorite shill. I cant take this guy seriously since the Marvel's Avengers game marketing. He is literally a shill, his insight into games is laughable and all he can spew these days is his political agenda, like you couldnt tell from his attire. Definition of a soyboy.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Fuck me, those of us who remember PC gaming in the 90's - the sheer terror of seeing what kind of hostile, dismissive and sometimes violent reaction time your Pentium 2: 350hz with a Voodoo 2 card rammed in it would have to a seemingly harmless and untaxing game - will appreciate that PC gaming is a huge amount better now.

Does it offer the benefits over console that make what little extra hassle there is worth it? Not sure really. Isn't it just limited to the odd play with a resolution slider?

I wonder if the “iPad” generation where devices just work are going to hate PC gaming more than us because they lack basic troubleshooting skills?

Having to create boot disks (because RAM was holy shit expensive), knowing how to deal with IRQ conflicts whenever you got a new sound card or something, and learning how to navigate a DOS prompt were all just standard things you had to know to game on PCs. It got easier later on when you didn’t have to call a support number and all you had to do was search for a solution on the internet.

Like you said, modern PC gaming has been an absolute joke certainly since Windows 7 was released.

GymWolf

If you like AAA exclusives, you ain't gonna find them on PC. It's all about multiplats there. What reason to switch? Certain types of gamers are just not made for PC Gaming. And that's fine.
Multiplats are also AAA games and 95% of what comes out every year the last time i checked.

and you don't even have a case about console exclusives being the only games with a certain budget\technical prowess in a world where rdr2 (and many other games) exist.

Last edited:

Boneless

I dont get this complaint about drivers/faqs/stuff not working on pc. I have been gaming on pc my whole life (also have consoles though) and while I have encountered driver problems, they are super rare, especially in recent years.

Bolivar687

Banned
I rarely have PC issues but I will agree with Greg that it is a bit more of a hassle than the flood of responses in here are going to suggest. I'm planning on playing the CoD beta with a PS4 controller in a few hours and I know it's going to take longer than it should to get that going.

So yeah it just happened. Signing in for the first time it froze when it asked me to log in to my Activision account. I then lost all control of my mouse and had to Ctrl+alt+delete to get it working again but it locks up as soon as I exit task manager.

Works fine after restart.

Warablo

Him and Colin are fanboys.

PC is easier than ever, I used to some what agree with him, but now days its so much easier.

My buddy had a problem with Escape From Tarkov and had to edit some of the files just so it could launch properly because of a update from the devs fucked it.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
I like the performance possible in PC gaming, however I dislike that there's no development for high end equipment. I mean, you spend 2000€ and once you turn it on you play CS:Go, that football with cars game or console ports with sliders set to the right. It's a shame.

The other thing that makes me dislike it is the culture of PC gaming, it's just so childish that it turns me off. It feels like a hobby for kids in their early 20s, with the RGB, the racing chair, the xtreeem aesthetics, the bragging and constant need to tell everyone else how great your rig is. It's just childish.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
If you like AAA exclusives, you ain't gonna find them on PC. It's all about multiplats there. What reason to switch? Certain types of gamers are just not made for PC Gaming. And that's fine.
You talk about those as of they were their own genre or something.
A game beign exclusive does not mean it's better or has more value than other games. It's just that, exclusives.

Also you have all the Xbox exclusives, and even some from Playstation (although they are much more rare, but that could change in the future).

We agree in the last part tho. There is people who absolutely despise using a computer so it's fine if you don't like PC gaming. Just don't tweet that you hate it because of drivers and FAQs and shit, because you'll be labeled as a little bit stupid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom