• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greg Miller Hates PC gaming, So Should you?

jigglet

Banned
I don't get this console exclusive bullshit. What stops a PC gamer from owning consoles too? That's what I've done. Why is it such a hard concept to imagine anyone owning a PC + consoles?

Also if you want to talk exclusives, let's talk about the genres that are not only exclusive to PC but literally can't be played on console...like strategy games and sims. Console developers are too pig headed to use mouse and keyboards which are 100% supported by console. I don't get the reluctance. All these RTS, strategy games etc could be done but they just refuse to. So you have all these genres effectively locked away from console.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I don't get this console exclusive bullshit. What stops a PC gamer from owning consoles too? That's what I've done. Why is it such a hard concept to imagine anyone owning a PC + consoles?

It's typical platform warring nonsense. Truthfully, there isn't much you can argue which makes a console more appealing than a PC so people need to pretend like a handful of Nintendo/PS exclusives which aren't available make PC suck. Hence people acting like you need a PhD to open Steam.

That’s how I feel running Windows in general but I wouldn’t let anyone know I hold such a narrow minded opinion (until now).

Durask

I don't recall last time when I had a problem with a Steam game.

Most PC game problems are due to:
bad power supply (#1 reason imho)
bad motherboard
bad ram

Velius

Banned
Holy shit I can barely recognize him. He lost a fuck ton of weight since the IGN days.

Still, I can't understand him; he's always gargling Sony's balls so I can't make anything out

This is a stupid thread. I love Greg Miller and the running gag that he hates PC's. I think it's really funny.

I'm a Playstation fanboy but I love the PC that I built for military simulators and tactical shooters and WW2 games that I unfortunately don't get on my console.

FStubbs

It's typical platform warring nonsense. Truthfully, there isn't much you can argue which makes a console more appealing than a PC so people need to pretend like a handful of Nintendo/PS exclusives which aren't available make PC suck. Hence people acting like you need a PhD to open Steam.

You don't need a PhD. What you do need is a budget to make it worthwhile. To get a PC that matches or beats a PS5 you're definitely spending $1200 or so.

teezzy

Banned
You don't need a PhD. What you do need is a budget to make it worthwhile. To get a PC that matches or beats a PS5 you're definitely spending $1200 or so.

Not knocking the new consoles. They're both impressive for what they are. My perspective comes from someone who already has a PC and just makes gradual improvements over the years rather than a lump replacement.

Ozrimandias

I'm going to be completely honest and maybe I understand what Greg says and that is that for me personally when I have tried to play on PC, it has been an absolute disaster.
Really frustrating. When it comes to PC Master Race, those who have a really superior performance, according to the Steam survey is a very low percentage of those who use PC, second some ports are really bad, not to mention that the console exclusives are increasingly unmissable.
When I wanted to use PC to play an old game like Splinter Cell Conviction, Steam launches Uplay, I also have to create an Uplay account, to only launch de game rapidly a few times.

Nothing more satisfying than to sit on the couch, boot up your console and play quickly....now more than ever.

Last edited:

Sentenza

I just wanted to take few seconds to stress that I'm not just bitter because Miller badmouthed my dear PC gaming.
I genuinely always found the guy a completely insufferable prick and one of the most obnoxious blatant shills in gaming media.

Last edited:

WakeTheWolf

bad motherboard
bad ram

Yeah funnily enough though tonight my ex 5700 xt finally went kaput and doesn't turn on so rma time

GymWolf

bad motherboard
bad ram
Can you explain me more about this?

Is the problem usually caused by a cheap brand or an underpowered psu?!

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I'm going to be completely honest and maybe I understand what Greg says and that is that for me personally when I have tried to play on PC, it has been an absolute disaster.
Really frustrating. When it comes to PC Master Race, those who have a really superior performance, according to the Steam survey is a very low percentage of those who use PC, second some ports are really bad, not to mention that the console exclusives are increasingly unmissable.
When I wanted to use PC to play an old game like Splinter Cell Conviction, Steam launches Uplay, I also have to create an Uplay account, to only launch de game rapidly a few times.

Nothing more satisfying than to sit on the couch, boot up your console and play quickly....now more than ever.

think this is the longest stretch I’ve been pc gaming since the EverQuest days (about 8 months now), usually swap back before the return window is up on what ever hardware I bought is up.

The ease of using a console usally would over power any graphic gains for me. Not really a hard core gamer so good enough is more then enough for me.

With the long ass updates on consoles and 3rd party developers wanting you to sign in to there services on consoles as well now, lots of the negatives about PC gaming have made its way to consoles and with the tiny hard drives expect even more annoying stuff to come.

If being portable wasn’t my biggest need right now (when I was on console switch filled that roll) I’d prob jump back, still might in the future.

I bought Saints Row 3 Remastered on the Epic Game Store. It does not launch, goes to blank screen. I have Mafia 3 on Steam another issue like that. Prototype 1 also does not start and just keeps crashing on my PC as soo as I push new game on the menu. I can see where he is coming from in a way. I got a beefy PC , and yet it has the most dumb ass compatibility issues with older and newer games that just simply run on consoles without any issues.

Kadayi

Banned
Can you explain me more about this?

Is the problem usually caused by a cheap brand or an underpowered psu?!

It's always a good idea to figure out what your energy usage is with your build, especially if you have a lot of components.

Everything connected has a power cost, and you do get the situation where people have a PSU that will meet there needs 90% of the time, but crap out when they try and run something that really ramps up their system. A good PSU is a worthwhile investment.

Last edited:
What an idiot. For most games/people, there are little to no hoops that need to be jumped through. For the rest, the game will oftentimes still run for you, but at console-level graphics and performance if you choose not to pursue any hoop jumping

Ozrimandias

With the long ass updates on consoles and 3rd party developers wanting you to sign in to there services on consoles as well now, lots of the negatives about PC gaming have made its way to consoles and with the tiny hard drives expect even more annoying stuff to come.

That is one of the annoying things in console gaming, but it's not new, I remember that back in the day if you want to play metal gear online, you had to make a Konami account and log in with your Konami id.....now that happens with square enix account and FFXIV. Anyway....I found more benefits in playing on a console than playing on a gaming laptop.

Recently I started to think.....cloud gaming it's gonna kill the low entry gaming laptops market.

Last edited:

Banned

Extra points for blocking replies.

So NeoGaf, do you hate PC gaming as well?

Have to admit I got turned off PC gaming for a long while after MS pushed a bad driver for xbox controller that fucked me up for days trying to figure out what went wrong. As of late I have done a 180 and love it.

he is not wrong...
like, one day my graphics card was only recognised as only PCIe x2 instead of x16
that didn't happen ever before.

yes more confusingly, a reboot of the PC would fix that issue immediately and without exception.

so I updated the motherboard bios and it was fixed...

why did it work for a year without issue, and then started to only run the graphics card at x2 instead of x16?
and why did a bios update then fix this?
how does this make sense?

also one day my Windows 10 cold boot times were suddenly twice as long as before... there was no new update and the OS drive was half empty.
then after there was a Windows update it started booting fast again.

PCs are strange and can often cause major headaches.
when the time has come where console gaming and PC gaming are at a point where performance and graphics are no longer limited by the hardware beneath, that's the time where I will never touch a PC ever again.

especially since Mouse and Keyboard support is slowly creeping into console games as well

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
He's like the dictionary reference for soy face. He's also one of those "Well, gamers found this tweet so I'm going to mute" people so that's a another reason to not give a frick what this guy says.

Kamina

Golden Boy

E8-A8-B9-C7-3296-455-D-B524-F2-CB898-DE3-EE.jpg

Despite the fact that I was primarily a PC gamer most of my life, I have never liked PC gaming. I stand with Greg.

Only reason I PC gamed for so long was because most the stuff I wanted to play wasn't available on console. But with consoles mostly having parity in terms of games and services, I rarely find myself needing to boot up my PC these days.

Just more hassle for not much benefit.

This is the guy that stands up every year at the game awards pretending to love gaming while cracking bad jokes? He intentionally give's a very vague reason for disliking PC gaming - but what it really mean's is he is bad with computers.

PC gaming is always the preferable medium for those that want ultra high setting's without compromise - and typically consoles begin to fall far behind PC's 5 year's into a cycle and offer subpar MP experiences next to the more capable PC. PC also offer's way more custom modifications and community updates textures/3d assets. More free games. More user created custom games/mods. PC is by far superior.

Last edited:

Warnen

That is one of the annoying things in console gaming, but it's not new, I remember that back in the day if you want to play metal gear online, you had to make a Konami account and log in with your Konami id.....now that happens with square enix account and FFXIV. Anyway....I found more benefits in playing on a console than playing on a gaming laptop.

Recently I started to think.....cloud gaming it's gonna kill the low entry gaming laptops market.

yeah if cloud gaming worked well I’d ditch laptop and just play stuff on my iPad. Good enough is fine for me don’t need top end gaming at this stage in my life, convenience more important.

Hell if the new 4k switch is real and they port Destiny to it, I’d prob go back to that too.

Warnen

he is not wrong...
like, one day my graphics card was only recognised as only PCIe x2 instead of x16
that didn't happen ever before.

yes more confusingly, a reboot of the PC would fix that issue immediately and without exception.

so I updated the motherboard bios and it was fixed...

why did it work for a year without issue, and then started to only run the graphics card at x2 instead of x16?
and why did a bios update then fix this?
how does this make sense?

also one day my Windows 10 cold boot times were suddenly twice as long as before... there was no new update and the OS drive was half empty.
then after there was a Windows update it started booting fast again.

PCs are strange and can often cause major headaches.
when the time has come where console gaming and PC gaming are at a point where performance and graphics are no longer limited by the hardware beneath, that's the time where I will never touch a PC ever again.

especially since Mouse and Keyboard support is slowly creeping into console games as well

I hear ya, few years ago one day every time I booted up a Ubisoft game my pc would crash. After clean installs and everything it kept happening. Few days later turns out it was a bad Xbox controller driver that windows pushed, swapping back to an older driver fixed the issue.

Hell even today I can’t play destiny for some reason with my wireless controller. Game will radomly turn into a slide show. Plugging the controller in fixes it instantly. Doesn’t happen all the time but it’s enough that it not worth using a wirless controller. Have no clue what causes It but I have replicated it on several laptops.

Still l’ve had all sorts of issues with consoles as well (uncharted 4 not starting up properly, get the blue uncharted PS4 and it over heats and dies with in a day), brand new Xbox one x hdd doa, hard drive corruption from power outages, ect...

dcx4610

Sounds like the exact kinda quote from someone that tried PC gaming on Windows ME and thinks nothing has changed. It has never been easier than it is now.

Every time I hear someone mention drivers, crashes, updates, etc., I immediately know that they don't game on PC or their perspective is from 10+ years ago when there undoubtedly was a problem. In the past 3 years, I've played and beat upwards of 50+ games on PC and I've had ONE crash and it was a simple crash to the desktop. I've had more freezes and crashes on console than I have PC now.

Updates are pretty much automatic these days as are drivers. The only knowledge you really need is navigating the PC and not doing anything stupid.

Tschumi

Uhhh seems like he needs to git gud re: getting these games to work, this kind of thing hasn't been a problem since the advent of steam etc~

Funnily enough though I'm currently rather fixated on my PS3 and when i think about playing a game on my PC i, i dunno it doesn't feel right at the moment.

I'll always be a PC gamer first, though.

nyr88nyg

Banned
Greg looks like he’s transitioning

But seriously, how do he and his room mates survive in san fran? There‘s no way they can afford a place there with that kindaawful income. Their break from ign has been an absolute failure.

Last edited:

fersnake

love pc gaming but he's not wrong i had issue but i knew ppl who had issues all the time no matter if they change parts/settings etc i love to fix thing and change settings so to me its like heaven those issues xD

Top Bottom