• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greg Miller Hates PC gaming, So Should you?

Durask

It's always a good idea to figure out what your energy usage is with your build, especially if you have a lot of components.

Everything connected has a power cost, and you do get the situation where people have a PSU that will meet there needs 90% of the time, but crap out when they try and run something that really ramps up their system. A good PSU is a worthwhile investment.

Also cheap power supplies can have voltage fluctuations.

Agree that a good PSU is an excellent investment. I got a nice SeaSonic 1050W PSU in 2012, still going strong through countless builds and modifications.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I like PC gaming but partly because I like tinkering with PCs. I could imagine people who hate tinkering with shit also hating PC gaming.

Besides, with game and firmware updates every 5 seconds becoming the norm, It's not as if console is the plug-and-play experience it used to be. A lot of the time it's plug-and-wait.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
PC gaming is for people who care about specs but don't actually wanna play games.

Also Greg Miller is a fucking nerd. I've disliked him for years.

Redlight

I used to be a PC player but in the end opted for the ease and convenience of consoles.

However, if you want the very best in performance and options then PC is the only place to play.

teezzy

Banned

babygif.gif
babygif.gif

babygif.gif
babygif.gif

poodaddy

Who gives a fuck what this awkward, nerdy, annoying, weak looking fuck thinks about anything at all, ever? Dude looks like he should be getting fired from a local coffee shop for lecturing customers on the proper temperature for milk to be frothed at. Dude looks like the kind of guy who says he's "triggered" when you eat a rare steak in front of him. Dude looks like he'd masturbate to weeb art and then campaign for women's rights. Dude looks like he benches less than my daughter. Dude looks like he's softer than two pillowcases filled with marshmallows. Dude looks like he dances naked to Enya. Dude looks like he was a groupie for Death Cab for Cutie. Dude looks like the "before" picture on an advertisement for testosterone boosters. Dude looks like Richard Simmons could whip his ass. Dude looks like he cries at Disney movies. Dude looks like he asks waiters about whether his meal was prepared "humanely" or not. Dude looks like he says "yass Queen" a lot. Dude looks like he lost his virginity through the virtue of roofies.

In short, dude looks like a bitch.

Greg Miller is in the top 10 of the most ignorant gaming journalists... So we must follow!

That being said, PC gaming can be quite the burden when it decides it doesn't work for you.... Just try to play any game that is a bit "too old", or install a 32-bit game that had a 16-bit installer, etc. This is not the walk in the park some are trying to make you believe either.

That guy (Greg Miller) has neither brains nor spine.

Last edited:

zwiggelbig

I have my pc now for 4 years and so far I have had only 2 issues. Just brought it to a shop, they fixed it for me in a day.. I bought a pre build and really have had 0 headaches. I dont like how he blurts out that you get headache from a pc and you need to read the faq like wtf is he talking about.. You can make it as difficult for yourself as you want.

Do you go build it yourself? Do you buy a pre build? If you have a issue do you try to solve it yourself or just bring it to a store to fix it?
fuck greg miller, I just saw their xbox series x impression and even though I'm buying one. I swear, they got paid money to shill the fuck out of it
They even said ''oh yea and it feels like dowloading just antyhing on it is waaaay faster!'' fuck you

I have to admit though, that I usually chuckle visiting a PC gamer friend that EVERY FUCKING TIME needs to get his controller setup going when we want to play something.

Takes from 5 to 15 minutes.

You need to git gud Greg. Which should be the minimum requirement for a games journalist anyway. Therefore, you suck at your job!

imsosleepy

Here's the thing, you don't need the XX80 or XX90, not even the TIs

The XX70 series are enough to run everything if you're not going overboard.

My GTX 1070 still runs everything and, except for RT (new tech), I believe it will keep on running. You can easily use the same card for almost 2 generations, and it will usually outperfom consoles if you content with 30fps.
Im playing everything on a 1050ti
it looks like shit but i have lots of gun playing rocket league, warzone

Gonna upgrade to 3080 though
But my ps4 has a expensive OLED screen of 1500. Console gaming id also expensive

nyr88nyg

Banned
Who gives a fuck what this awkward, nerdy, annoying, weak looking fuck thinks about anything at all, ever? Dude looks like he should be getting fired from a local coffee shop for lecturing customers on the proper temperature for milk to be frothed at. Dude looks like the kind of guy who says he's "triggered" when you eat a rare steak in front of him. Dude looks like he'd masturbate to weeb art and then campaign for women's rights. Dude looks like he benches less than my daughter. Dude looks like he's softer than two pillowcases filled with marshmallows. Dude looks like he dances naked to Enya. Dude looks like he was a groupie for Death Cab for Cutie. Dude looks like the "before" picture on an advertisement for testosterone boosters. Dude looks like Richard Simmons could whip his ass. Dude looks like he cries at Disney movies. Dude looks like he asks waiters about whether his meal was prepared "humanely" or not. Dude looks like he says "yass Queen" a lot. Dude looks like he lost his virginity through the virtue of roofies.

BlackTron

PC gaming no longer requires you to be a full-on nerd like in the 90's, but it does require you to have SOME basic understanding of how to use a PC. If you can't locate a downloaded install package on your PC without the help of your browser's download manager, and half the time just download the entire file again to "start" it, then indeed, PC gaming is not for you.

That's the real barrier to entry to PC gaming, the ability to understand basics of Windows like copying a file and folder structure. If you can't do that, for the love of God get a console, it's made for people like you.

What's frustrating is people going on about what a hassle PC gaming is, are they the same people complaining that web browsing or listening to music on PC is harder than on a phone? Well yeah, if you don't know the first thing about PC's but think you're some new wave tech guy because you have an iphone, do us all a favor and buy a Playstation.

BlackTron

...please go get neutered.

I'm not joking. You have no idea how many people use a PC on a daily basis, for e-mail or whatever, and have NO clue about this most basic stuff. We take it for granted, but that's why streamlined walled-gardens are so critical, like AOL was in the past, and Apple's ecosystem today. And yes, PS/XB/Nintendo. Mass market means selling to people who don't even know how to navigate folders on a PC, or what it means at all.

Fuz

Banned
I'm not joking. You have no idea how many people use a PC on a daily basis, for e-mail or whatever, and have NO clue about this most basic stuff. We take it for granted, but that's why streamlined walled-gardens are so critical, like AOL was in the past, and Apple's ecosystem today. And yes, PS/XB/Nintendo. Mass market means selling to people who don't even know how to navigate folders on a PC, or what it means at all.
...and those people decide to become designers because it's hip and go and design UIs.

JimboJones

"How do you do that thing"

"Just right click"

*Opens MSWord writes the word click*

"Now what?!"

Andodalf

Banned
Greg Miller is a great ambassador for gaming to the mass market, he’s a very marketable guy who knows how to sell himself. PC gaming is great, but it does take more effort than console. It’s worth it for most people if you do put in the effort, but if you don’t want to put in the bit of work it takes it obviously isn’t for you. There’s really nothing here thread worthy.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I have to admit though, that I usually chuckle visiting a PC gamer friend that EVERY FUCKING TIME needs to get his controller setup going when we want to play something.

I'm impressed he actually managed to conjure a problem like that on his computer in an age where controller compatibility for Xbox controllers is virtually just as plug and play on PC as it is on Xbox.

"How do you do that thing"

"Just right click"

*Opens MSWord writes the word click*

"Now what?!"

Last edited:

SNG32

His opinion. But it's the only piece of hardware that offers somewhat of BC support from the Atari all the way to PS3. That's alot of gaming covered that no console could ever do.

Last edited:

thief183

I don't understand why noone keeps in consideration the cost for a TV when talking about prices, I mean, as far as I know consoles are useless without a Tv... still monitor for the PC have to stay in the cost.... it is kinda unfair.

And don't tell me tht anyone has a Tv cause I don't have one. Also, you can attach your PC to your TV...

Edit: I think I posted in the wrong thread.... btw the question still stand :p

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Hates pc gaming. But loves some x86 chips, GDDR5/6, DDR3, OpenGL, DirectX, first person shooters, online gaming. Oh, the hypocrisy.

He's just a lazy clown.

PC gaming is more mainstream than ever and younger generations are going mad for it. In the UK my local game is just full of pc accessories. 5 years ago it was still kind of niche.

Running stuff on a PC is no more complicated than a console and on top of that console games crash just as much as PC games these days. They just look worse and have way less functionality. It's fine to say you prefer console experience because you're lazy. It's retarded to say it's because things randomly don't work.

Last edited:
Besides, with game and firmware updates every 5 seconds becoming the norm, It's not as if console is the plug-and-play experience it used to be. A lot of the time it's plug-and-wait

Waiting a couple of minutes or hours and the game will still be playable, in contrast if a game on PC gets and update and something goes wrong you need to check your drive and FAQs and you may still be able to play the damn thing, this happend to me on my laptop and it basically turned my indiffrence to PC gaming to outright hatred, in my eyes that's why consoles will always be relevent.

Needlecrash

Playing Sekiro at over 90-100fps on PC was godsend to me, while consoles were barely chugging between 35-40. I don't know what Miller is on about. Let people like what they like. The fact that he blocked replies reeks of a pussy who can't handle opposing thoughts while spitting out nonsense.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Greg is just leaning into ancient tropes that don't really apply anymore. I can't tell you the last time I got a new game and it didn't just work out if the gate. It's not 2002 anymore. Sure I might need to mess with some knobs and levers to get the performance/quality I want, but I enjoy that.

I've been a PC games since the PC/AT days. It's never stopped me from also enjoying consoles, but a PC can just do more.

Mildudon

First off it is an old tweet and who cares really

2nd thing is ask yourself what does the person get out of making that statment? (isnt it obvious trolling is the mean goal here. Trying to stir something up to write something to get clicks)

Just ignore and move on.

Carna

Banned
PC gaming certainly looks more appealing in current day. that's for sure.

I miss old Kind of Funny, it was the rare gaming podcast "thing" that I actually sat down and watched frequently. and I was never fond of those types of things at the time.

The Fartist

Gold Member
He has every God given right to express his opinions on the old Twats but he's still fake as fuck and lame. Anyone who wears a presidential candidate shirt is a fucking buffoon.

With that said, I wish my PlayStation was more like a PC and my PC more like a PlayStation.

GymWolf

L5Dv.gif

GymWolf

With what games? I have a third party controller (so not even officially compatible with steam) and i have zero problem in 99% of indie, AA and AAA in genres who usually play better with a controller.

DonJorginho

Banned
Greg Miller is a dick, fuck you shill, stupid bitch.
Selling out, for lame ass games.
You do not, deserve the fame.
Fucked over Colin, to save face.
Now you start on the PC Master Race.
Stupid Cuck, go get fucked.
Play Bugsnax and shut it slut.

Last edited:
Top Bottom