• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greg Miller Hates PC gaming, So Should you?

CloudNull

Banned
Ty44_07u_400x400.jpg

Hates PC gaming.

EXIJTVRXgAYuNH8.jpg

Loves PC gaming.
This is the correct response.

People also overlook PC gaming teaches you tons of crap about tech. The only reason I’m in my current career is because of first building my PC many years ago. I never expected to have a career in tech but through my love of gaming I got here.

teezzy

Banned
I have to admit though, that I usually chuckle visiting a PC gamer friend that EVERY FUCKING TIME needs to get his controller setup going when we want to play something.

Takes from 5 to 15 minutes.

I use an xbox one controller. Unless the game doesnt have controller support, it should detect it right away

What are you and your friend playing, and with what controller?

dano1

A Sheep
PCs are for the few that like tinkering with their rig and have a budget that can afford to have the best of the best!!
And if your not running the best equipment I really don’t get it then. Not for me but I understand.

teezzy

Banned
PCs are for the few that like tinkering with their rig and have a budget that can afford to have the best of the best!!
And if your not running the best equipment I really don’t get it then. Not for me but I understand.

With PCs, your hardware improvement is moreso of a gradual shift. Like right now, I'd suspect the new consoles are more powerful than my current rig (which is impressive tbh) but next time I upgrade in 2022, I'll be leaps ahead of them again.

I'd hope most PC players can agree with me though, when I say that there's no point in upgrading until your current machine can't do something you want it to do.

Like these RTX 30_0 cards are cool and all, but I just bought a RTX 2070 in late 2018. I'm in no hurry.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
With PCs, your hardware improvement is moreso of a gradual shift. Like right now, I'd suspect the new consoles are more powerful than my current rig (which is impressive tbh) but next time I upgrade in 2022, I'll be leaps ahead of them again.

I'd hope most PC players can agree with me though, when I say that there's no point in upgrading until your current machine can't do something you want it to do.

Like these RTX 30_0 cards are cool and all, but I bought a RTX 2070 last year. I'm in no hurry.
I'd say your rig is in the same ball park as the next gen consoles, especially if you get one of those fast NVMe M.2 drives. Then you'd be sitting between a PS5 and an XSX, more or less.

I love my 2070 OC.

GreatnessRD

Never liked Greg Miller after he took over reviewing the WWE games from that Jeremy guy (Forgot his name) I can understand his sentiment, but its him, so fuck 'em. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

teezzy

Banned
I'd say your rig is in the same ball park as the next gen consoles, especially if you get one of those fast NVMe M.2 drives. Then you'd be sitting between a PS5 and an XSX, more or less.

I love my 2070 OC.

Yeah the RTX 2070 is sweet! I had to back and edit my post - can't believe I've had it for two years already!

I'm glad you mentioned this because it only speaks further to my point in response to dano1 dano1

Admittedly, my build is sort of odd. Highly comparable to what current consoles will be, but since I do just upgrade piece-meal and initially started this build, and bought my motherboard, in 2015... it's hard to place it. Comparable seems fair though

Xeon 1231 v3 (pretty much an i7 4790k)
32gb of DDR3
1 tb Samsung 860 SSD M.2 Sata
EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Like, CPU wise, I have to adhere to the 1150 chipset so I really can't do much better than my current Xeon 1231, 32 gigs of ram... but it's DDR3, my mobo doesn't support NVME directly so while I have a M.2 SSD... it's M.2 Sata

If I wanted an NVME drive, there's a simple converter I could use to hook up an NVME drive into my second PCIE slot as my mobo was built for SLI.

So TLDR; I've got a nice quadcore, 32 gigs of DDR3, an M.2 Sata SSD and a factory OC'd 2070.

Not exactly next gen console - but close enough where I'm not complaining lol, especially considering I've had it since this time two years ago. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

EDIT: The point being here though, is that I'm also displaying out to dual 27" 1440p monitors and a CRT s a third, there's also plenty of crap I do on my PC which a console can't. It just happens to also be able to play games at about the same level the new consoles can. PCs rule.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
Yeah the RTX 2070 is sweet! I had to back and edit my post - can't believe I've had it for two years already!

I'm glad you mentioned this because it only speaks further to my point in response to dano1 dano1

Admittedly, my build is sort of odd. Highly comparable to what current consoles will be, but since I do just upgrade piece-meal and initially started this build in 2015... it's hard to place it. Comparable seems fair though

32gb of DDR3
EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Like, CPU wise, I have to adhere to the 1150 chipset so I really can't do much better than my current Xeon 1231, 32 gigs of ram... but it's DDR3, my mobo doesn't support NVME directly so while I have a M.2 SSD... it's M.2 Sata

If I wanted an NVME drive, there's a simple converter I could use to hook up an NVME drive into my second PCIE slot as my mobo was built for SLI.

So TLDR; I've got a nice quadcore, 32 gigs of DDR3, an M.2 Sata SSD and a factory OC'd 2070.

Not exactly next gen console - but close enough where I'm not complaining lol, especially considering I've had it since this time two years ago. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
SDXBK6K.gif

Admittedly, my build is sort of odd. Highly comparable to what current consoles will be, but since I do just upgrade piece-meal and initially started this build, and bought my motherboard, in 2015... it's hard to place it. Comparable seems fair though

32gb of DDR3
EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

EDIT: The point being here though, is that I'm also displaying out to dual 27" 1440p monitors and a CRT s a third, there's also plenty of crap I do on my PC which a console can't. It just happens to also be able to play games at about the same level the new consoles can. PCs rule.
Your build screams Tech Yes City.

lol i should probably watch more of that guy's stuff then

All I know is that I'm a big fan of getting the most bang for my buck.

This mobo has been an absolute trooper:

600.png

Gonna be a shame to let her go one day.
It's a great channel, in my opinion. He loves his Xeons and is all about that price / performance.

avalonzero

Sometimes there is extra effort required but Jesus, how about being really dramatic about it? Plus a lot of PC gamers like myself enjoy tinkering with shit to tailor the experience to how they want it. In the end, there is a reason for consoles and it sounds like Greg is the perfect demographic for them. To each their own.

Last edited:

notseqi

I have to admit though, that I usually chuckle visiting a PC gamer friend that EVERY FUCKING TIME needs to get his controller setup going when we want to play something.

Takes from 5 to 15 minutes.
Gone El Cheapo on the receiver for a 360 Controller, how do you bungle that up everytime?

Vaelka

Did all of these people having issues with their PC's follow that The Verge guide or something?
I've never had problems with my PC lol.

He somehow gained popularity by screaming "beyond" into a microphone in the process of ruining IGN's podcasts. He's when I knew that...

giphy.gif
Beyond was great. Greg got way worse after he left.

Though, what really made Beyond great was Colin and to a lesser extent Ryan and Goldfarb. I never listened to the old cast.

AffirmativeAfro

Neo Member
Stay on console's my guy, this shit isn't for you.

PC gaming is braindead these days, 10+ years ago gaming on a computer woulda blew this guys head off.

Hostile_18

Banned
Thread title just seems set up to hate on him (and its worked). What's this "So should you?" business.

The last line clearly says "I'm glad you like it and it works for you".

We all have platform preferences. If someone says I don't like Xbox because it has no games.. it's fine it's just an opinion. If Someone says the PS5 is ugly... it's fine it's just an opinion.

The guy looks like a turd but I know exactly where he's coming from. You play a game for a few hours in the evening. Wake up the following day, start the same game up and suddenly, it's crashing. You've downloaded nothing, updated nothing, done absolutely nothing from the last time you played. But it's happening.

I have experienced this and it's infuriating.

Thread title just seems set up to hate on him (and its worked). What's this "So should you?" business.

The last line clearly says "I'm glad you like it and it works for you".

We all have platform preferences. If someone says I don't like Xbox because it has no games.. it's fine it's just an opinion. If Someone says the PS5 is ugly... it's fine it's just an opinion.
Don’t you know? It’s 2020 we take comments without full context and we dogpile them and call the person who said it a sad cunt even though we don’t know them personally at all.

Get with the program mate /s

That being said he is a shill and always has been even back in the behind days. I don’t like him due to the fallout with Colin but I’m never going to hurl insults at him or his character.

Last edited:
Im playing everything on a 1050ti
it looks like shit but i have lots of gun playing rocket league, warzone

Gonna upgrade to 3080 though
But my ps4 has a expensive OLED screen of 1500. Console gaming id also expensive
I hope you aren't including your OLED purchase in that statement because that is a 100% optional purchase. Consoles aren't requiring you to buy a OLED tv, and could be played on a cheap $200 TCL entry level, or a $100 monitor much the same as PC gaming. Displays should always be left out of the gaming "expense" argument IMO.

Edit: Should have edited it into the previous post.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

PC Gaming makes you stuck behind a desk, consoles are a threat to pc gaming because of that.
You do realize you can hook up a PC to a TV right ?
Not only that most PC gamers have a nice gaming chair that most times is more comfortable than sitting on a couch.

But since Greg Miller said so I too now hate PC gaming.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
PC Gaming makes you stuck behind a desk, consoles are a threat to pc gaming because of that.

I play on a Laptop over consoles BECUASE I can move it to where every I want. Reclineing in my Zero G recliner with my laptop on my lap desk playing a destiny strike might be the comfiest I have ever been playing a game.

supernova8

Banned
Waiting a couple of minutes or hours and the game will still be playable, in contrast if a game on PC gets and update and something goes wrong you need to check your drive and FAQs and you may still be able to play the damn thing, this happend to me on my laptop and it basically turned my indiffrence to PC gaming to outright hatred, in my eyes that's why consoles will always be relevent.

lol well yeah I had that back in the day but Windows 10 I dont really have the same issue. Updates are much less painful. Maybe because I have an M2 SSD.

Top Bottom