• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Greta Thunberg without a script is stumped when asked what her message is

DanielsM

Feb 11, 2019
This is going to be the gift that keeps giving. Wow. Nothing coherent at all.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Feb 11, 2019
"excuse me my parents and teachers didn't write that down for me.."
Don't blame my parents, I'm a psychopath all by myself... hello Me... this is the real Me.

(btw I can't stop watching the How Dare You Sweden Death Metal video... completely hooked on her song)

KingMoron

Dec 10, 2018
Congratulations, someone with the Asperger's syndrome is not that strong at responding to unprepared situations and multi-faceted questions? That's pretty unsurprising to be honest.
Hmmmm, it's almost as if she's completely unqualified to talk about anything more than finger painting with mashed potatoes let alone lecturing people while living a privileged life.

HOW DARE YOU!

Last edited:

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
Congratulations, someone with the Asperger's syndrome is not that strong at responding to unprepared situations and multi-faceted questions? That's pretty unsurprising to be honest.
She's a competent person, please don't use her development issues as an excuse.

People are now attacking her privilege? Nice character assassination internet warriors.

Last edited:

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Hmmmm, it's almost as if she's completely unqualified to talk about anything more than finger painting with mashed potatoes let alone lecturing people while living a privileged life.

HOW DARE YOU!
She has a developmental issue that makes it specifically difficult for her to react to spontaneous social situations. This is not an indication of lack of intelligence. It is incredibly insulting of you to display her as intellectually deprived.

Reactions: Lamel

KingMoron

Dec 10, 2018
She has a developmental issue that makes it specifically difficult for her to react to spontaneous social situations. This is not an indication of lack of intelligence. It is incredibly insulting of you to display her as intellectually deprived.
She is intellectually deprived, she should be in school on the other side of the ocean...yet she's a high school dropout, not a scientist, no bachelors, no masters, no PhD and lecturing people on junk science that she wouldn't be able to understand even without her issues. Please give me a FUCKING BREAK when it comes to this over privileged under educated cult figure.

SantaC2

Mar 15, 2019
She is intellectually deprived, she should be in school on the other side of the ocean...yet she's a high school dropout, not a scientist, no bachelors, no masters, no PhD and lecturing people on junk science that she wouldn't be able to understand even without her issues. Please give me a FUCKING BREAK when it comes to this over privileged under educated cult figure.
she is a big fraud. She is staying in the US for a whole year, have fun with her, lol.

DanielsM

Feb 11, 2019
So, she is responsible for her Exorcist speech or not? She's so smart but nobody should laugh at her Linda Blair speech as she is just a dumb kid.

DanielsM

Feb 11, 2019
Of course she is responsible for her speeches.
Hence the ridicule.

After seeing some of her newer videos, not only do I think her parents brain washed her... I think she mentality has a disability as well, obviously not a huge one. She seems to not even understand the context of where she is, just my take.

At the end of day she is just a dumb kid, which is why I feel sorry for her.

Last edited:

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
I can't tell which group you're trying to troll anymore, so if anything that means you are doing a good job! :unsure:
🤣

Can't handle anyone with independent thought huh? Can't have a discussion without a dedicated narrative huh? I apologise that I broke your auto-label processor.

Last edited:

Darth

Sep 4, 2012
Of course she is responsible for her speeches.
However she got in the spotlight, you can't cherry pick at this point. Praise or critique is all open game now. Blame it on her parents or whoever put her in the spotlight if you don't want people tearing her down just as others have built her up. This is not ResetEra where people put blinders on and pray their side is always in the right. (Jesse Smollet, Chipotle, and plenty of other examples) and ban people for maybe wanting a bit more truth/facts and not just a sliver of the picture.

Last edited:

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
How do you know that specifically?

Oct 26, 2018
This is going to be the gift that keeps giving. Wow. Nothing coherent at all.

My 8 year old niece in grade 3 can answer questions better.

Just goes to show when she hasn't practiced angry scripts for 72 hours, and being put on the spot to answer basic questions, Greta is a moron plain and simple.

Has nothing to do with her Aspergers demeanor either which leads to quirky communication.

Just the answers themselves seem like she doesn't know what's going on with climate issues to begin with, aside from telling people they have to do better. Even that basic question about why come to Montreal to speak was a clusterfuck of answers.

Unless someone showed her 24/7, I don't think Greta could even recycle trash into paper and plastic bins as well as my niece can. And she's being puppeteered as a global climate expert? lol

Well, good on her and her family for getting flown on planes around the world and racking up Air Mile points.

Last edited:

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
However she got in the spotlight, you can't cherry pick at this point. Praise or critique is all open game now. Blame it on her parents or whoever put her in the spotlight if you don't want people tearing her down just as others have built her up. This is not ResetEra where people put blinders on and pray their side is always in the right. (Jesse Smollet, Chipotle, and plenty of other examples) and ban people for maybe wanting a bit more truth/facts and not just a sliver of the picture.
What does this have to do with Resetera? Just because someone is a public figure does not mean that any sort of ridicule is justified. Yes, she is a public figure, but laughing at her because of having trouble with an unprepared questioning where two questions are posed at the same time is just stupid, because of her known condition which is well-known to have just that effect: Trouble with unprepared situations and in particular multiple non-separated questions at once. Criticising her for her speeches or her positions is not unjustified (of course, many people around here are just factually wrong in terms of climate change, but that does not mean that they are in the wrong to criticise based on their wrong beliefs), laughing at her for a direct consequence of her well-known condition is, however, an indication of being a dipshit.

• LOL
Reactions: Lamel and matt404au
Oct 26, 2018
What does this have to do with Resetera? Just because someone is a public figure does not mean that any sort of ridicule is justified. Yes, she is a public figure, but laughing at her because of having trouble with an unprepared questioning where two questions are posed at the same time is just stupid, because of her known condition which is well-known to have just that effect: Trouble with unprepared situations and in particular multiple non-separated questions at once. Criticising her for her speeches or her positions is not unjustified (of course, many people around here are just factually wrong in terms of climate change, but that does not mean that they are in the wrong to criticise based on their wrong beliefs), laughing at her for a direct consequence of her well-known condition is, however, an indication of being a dipshit.
Regardless of her condition, a 16 year old Aspergers Syndrome teenager being paraded around the world as a climate control expert is pretty dumb.

The only reason she is getting this attention is due to her quirky Autistic demeanor which leads to angry, odd and entertaining responses. When a high schooler looks like she's going to go nuts and pop a vein in her face talking about climate, people will watch for laughs.

If you replaced Greta with a normal teenager, or a boring scientist there would zero publicity.

So good on her parents and climate control zealots for making her the posterboy for climate, but content wise, she's as shallow as it gets with zero knowledge on how to improve anything except telling people an companies to do better.

If someone is going to lecture the public on an issue (like climate), at least have some meaty content to teach all of us peons who all contribute to global heating. Or at least feed her scripts to tell people how to improve factory conditions, utility usage, promote to the world which materials are better to use and whatever other climate helping methods there are.

Or at least use her as a puppet in plain view. Use her for emotional rants, then push her aside as Dr. Smith would like to tell the world there's certain new metals created that dissipate less heat, so anyone in manufacturing eating up globs of energy to bake oatmeal cookies can look into retooling machinery where using these innovative materials can retain more heat, saving the plant utility bill costs.

Fuck, any suggestion. Just anything. I don't even work in the factory side of my company and can probably come up with more energy saving ideas than climate control clowns. So if anyone is going to lecture advice, at least have some nuggets to toss the audience.

I don't think even something extremely basic like suggesting cities cut bus pass prices by 50% to encourage more people to ditch their cars for public transportation is an idea she can even grasp unless someone told her what a bus pass even is.

Last edited:

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Regardless of her condition, a 16 year old Aspergers Syndrome teenager being paraded around the world as a climate control expert is pretty dumb.
Who is calling her an expert? She is an activist, not a scientist and she never claimed to be one, nor have I ever seen anyone claiming she is an expert on the issue. She is demanding people listen to and act according to the positions expressed by experts pertaining to the immediate threat of climate change and human behaviour in that regard. She is protesting and promoting a stronger responsibility for action against climate change because of the positions expressed by other people who are experts.

Reactions: Lamel
Oct 26, 2018
Who is calling her an expert? She is an activist, not a scientist and she never claimed to be one, nor have I ever seen anyone claiming she is an expert on the issue. She is demanding people listen to and act according to the positions expressed by experts pertaining to the immediate threat of climate change and human behaviour in that regard. She is protesting and promoting a stronger responsibility for action against climate change because of the positions expressed by other people who are experts.
Ok,

So where's all the experts telling the world how to improve climate control, use less energy, use more innovative materials, or even recommend inefficient shitty factories do a complete overhaul?

It's easy to tell people climate is hitting the shitter, but what person, company or government is going to give a shit unless you tell them what to do, how to do it and how it benefits them in any meaningful direct way?

It's like a science teacher telling students flunking to do better to get better grades.

If the teacher realizes everyone is failing at telling the difference between a proton, neutron and electron, then help them score better by having remedial classes in that with those cute little circular diagrams to boot.

You don't just tell people "get better".

Last edited:

ruvikx

Jan 12, 2018
These freaks are utterly shameless. They're literally attempting to guilt people into swallowing a narrative hook, line & sinker without question, i.e. like a snake oil salesman's wet dream. Every charlatan throughout history who peddled some bullcrap fairy-tale would have dreamed of a mainstream media "you're embarrassing for not believing this miracle" attack on naysayers.

Greta is a step far too far in the suspension of disbelief territory. I'd also advise serious climate activists to steer clear of such a freakshow because the fate of the planet cannot ever be reduced down to the persona of a ranting privileged Swedish teenager thrust in front of the UN. It's at best a very bad joke & at worst utterly morally bankrupt.

Shameful stuff.

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Ok,

So where's all the experts telling the world how to improve climate control, use less energy, use more innovative materials, or even recommend inefficient shitty factories do a complete overhaul?

It's easy to tell people climate is hitting the shitter, but what person, company or government is going to give a shit unless you tell them what to do, how to do it and how it benefits them in any meaningful direct way?
It is not a climate researcher's object of study what techniques are available to educe carbon emission, they state which levels of carbon emission need to be reached in order to reduce the threat to an acceptable level. There are some pretty obvious steps - increasing the share of renewable energy, reducing the number of flights (e.g. by price) and cars (e.g. by price) - that could be taken outside of technological innovation, but yes, in the long run, technological innovation to be able to restore certain aspects of convenience to today's level without hurting the climate at an irresponsible level, is desirable. That's however, a matter of a different profession: Engineering rather than climate science.

Cravis

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2006
For all those that think the world is going to end in 12 years you can go ahead and just make me beneficiary on all your bank accounts and inheritor of all the real estate you own.

I know you think I’m nuts because we are all gonna be dead in 12 years anyways but you just gotta trust me on this one 😏

DanielsM

Feb 11, 2019
No, she said people(you) stole her childhood, if she can't explain that stupid ass comment, she is of no use to anything or anyone. She's speaking nonsense to collect a buck, and using hyperbole.... because she has been brainwashed. She's crying "wolf", and she doesn't even know what a "wolf" looks like. The whole carbon shit is actually hurting efforts as it pertains to real pollution and environment issues, imo, which I actually support in a general sense. She's not protesting shit, she's collecting money and going across the ocean in a freaking plastic boat, hanging out with Gore who is carbon producing machine.

All she is now is a meme to the world.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
It is not a climate researcher's object of study what techniques are available to educe carbon emission, they state which levels of carbon emission need to be reached in order to reduce the threat to an acceptable level. There are some pretty obvious steps - increasing the share of renewable energy, reducing the number of flights (e.g. by price) and cars (e.g. by price) - that could be taken outside of technological innovation, but yes, in the long run, technological innovation to be able to restore certain aspects of convenience to today's level without hurting the climate at an irresponsible level, is desirable. That's however, a matter of a different profession: Engineering rather than climate science.
Then that's a lazy cop out. No wonder nobody listens.

If I promote to the world I'm a great with money and make a decent living, and you hear me and would like tips how to make some extra cash, I can do two things:

1. Tell you to do better because the avg wages of people increases over time. So you better shape up or you will fall behind.

or

2. I'll do my best and tell you from experience how to make money and cut costs, which is a combo of picking career fields that pay well, how to scope out low interest rate mortgages with low break up fees, which credit cards have low interest and pay dividend cash back, how to find and sell investment properties, including what is needed to reduce Canadian CMHC fees when buying a home etc.....

So out of #1 or #2, which lecture would care to listen to for advice?

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
I'm being obtuse? I usually don't name-call on the forums, but this is the most I've been tested. The only reason I've had to reply to you again is because of how fucking obtuse you're being!

This is the post you replied to...

That was relevant. His judgement is that antifa are bad eggs and a bad influence on the kid. Your response? UUUUHHHHH DEEEER BUT HER PAREnTS DO OPERAAAAA.

Fuck off.
Oprah*

Liljagare

May 8, 2013
Sweden
iirc she and her parents were also seen with pro antifa shirts. Those parents don't seem to be good role models.
Its entirely possible she didnt know what those shirts meant, it was for a band promo.

Its not something that is well coveres at all here in Sweden.

Also worth a read methinks.

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Then that's a lazy cop out. No wonder nobody listens.

If I promote to the world I'm a great with money and make a decent living, and you hear me and would like tips how to make some extra cash, I can do two things:

1. Tell you to do better because the avg wages of people increases over time. So you better shape up or you will fall behind.

or

2. I'll do my best and tell you from experience how to make money and cut costs, which is a combo of picking career fields that pay well, how to scope out low interest rate mortgages with low break up fees, which credit cards have low interest and pay dividend cash back, how to find and sell investment properties, including what is needed to reduce Canadian CMHC fees when buying a home etc.....

So out of #1 or #2, which lecture would care to listen to for advice?
This is not a proper analogy. Climate researchers say you need to cut carbon emission. You can do that in an inconvenient, yet obvious way. You can also invest work to make it more convenient, of course, and work should be done to that extent, but it's not like reducing carbon emissions is the big mystery. Make it super expensive to drive (in particular) wasteful cars, improve public transport a lot, make it super expensive to fly, put financial pressure on companies to innovate in order to reduce emissions. These are the easy solutions that do not necessitate new innovations beforehand. For new innovations in terms of reducing emissions without limitations on convenience, you will need to rely on engineering. Of course, heavily investing into such research is a good idea.

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
Its entirely possible she didnt know what those shirts meant, it was for a band promo.

Its not something that is well coveres at all here in Sweden.

Also worth a read methinks.

Her entire family borrows shirts. I knew she was a hardcore environmentalist but that is a step too far.

Fuck off with snopes already. Notice how this picture doesn't appear in the report they do. They add a bunch of extra shit into a story so they can deem it false. Did greta wear a shirt and fuck soros and is really the zodiac killer. Mostly false.

DanielsM

Feb 11, 2019
I do not know why that matters, but I am a computer science lecturer.
Figured.

Now, if I find "climate researcher" (whatever that may mean) that says the planet would be better off without you on the planet, would you like that plan?

Oct 26, 2018
This is not a proper analogy. Climate researchers say you need to cut carbon emission. You can do that in an inconvenient, yet obvious way. You can also invest work to make it more convenient, of course, and work should be done to that extent, but it's not like reducing carbon emissions is the big mystery. Make it super expensive to drive (in particular) wasteful cars, improve public transport a lot, make it super expensive to fly, put financial pressure on companies to innovate in order to reduce emissions. These are the easy solutions that do not necessitate new innovations beforehand. For new innovations in terms of reducing emissions without limitations on convenience, you will need to rely on engineering. Of course, heavily investing into such research is a good idea.
And considering (if it's true) pollution is rising, temperature seems to be increasing a degree here or there, CO2 emissions are up, it doesn't seem like climate control activists are doing a good job at keep climate killing metrics down.

So as I said, if climate researchers or activists want to be more effective, you got to back it up. You say they aren't engineers. They more like people who post data, in hopes every one else solves it for them. But in life that's not how things work.

If you want action, you got to prove people there's something worth striving for.

If engineering is a totally different expertise, then buddy up as a two pronged attack. Climate control activist does their tearful speech, then engineer boy follows up with how it can be solved with the latest techniques or gear. Make it affordable and easy to install and people will notice.

Every person in charge of high cost, energy using production will listen when it comes to making things more efficient, less wasteful, and cuts down on waste and costs.

A plant manager won't give a shit at Greta crying or a climate guy saying do better because CO2 emissions have increase 1000 parts per billion. But if someone tells him he can still maintain quality production but with lowering waste, cutting costs, cheaper utility bills and reducing inventory space of raw materials, they'll be all ears.

Last edited:
Reactions: hariseldon

MacReady13

Jun 22, 2018
I'm fairly worried about the environment, and really do see climate change as a major issue on this planet. I believe scientist's when they claim the climate is in major trouble and we need to do something now to reverse this trend, especially as I have 4 young kids all under 10 years of age that need to thrive and survive on this planet for hopefully at least the next 80-100 years...

In saying that though, fuck this little shit. Clearly she was put up with a pre-prepared speech to illicit as much emotion as she could. She's doing nothing for the environment. She's just like her parents and every other fucking protester- a whiny sook who will change absolutely NOTHING! You wanna make a change then go out and do it. People have been protesting for years... in fact decades about shit like this. What difference has it made? She clearly has no idea as we can see from her post speech conferences. She is a puppet for whoever wants these issues put forward. Seriously, some kids just need to shut the fuck up with their hyperbole and let the adults do the talking. Once she has experience in life then i'm happy to hear what she has to say.
Might sound harsh, and maybe it is. I agree with her general sentiments about the environment/climate, but the way she spoke was so pathetic it deserves a fucking razzie award.

Reactions: hariseldon