• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Greta Thunberg without a script is stumped when asked what her message is

Saruhashi

Oct 2, 2018
Then why does she have the spotlight?
It's interesting, isn't it?

We are supposed to believe that this is the great issue of our times. The ultimate problem.
Literally, the future of the entire human race is at stake.

So, with the stakes being this high, we're going to put someone with no experience and no qualifications at the forefront.

It would be like you are sitting at work and the company is going to shit.
People aren't getting paid. Folks are talking about not being able to pay rent.
You saw one employee weeping openly at his desk.
It's almost all over.

Buuuuut the CEO has just called a meeting. Is this the end of all our worries or is it another false hope?
The CEO walks into the meeting room with a small girl.
"Hi guys here is my 16 year old niece to tell you how we're going to turn this thing around".

Now, you wouldn't want to say anything bad about a 16 year old girl, would you?

CausticVenom

Apr 27, 2018
let's see... overly dramatic child is product of an opera singing mom, an art designer father, and an actor/director grandfather?

sounds like extreme privilege & nepotism to me.
If she has zero experience then we shouldn't listen to her.

Saruhashi

Oct 2, 2018
If she has zero experience then we shouldn't listen to her.
Well we definitely can listen to her but I think we'd just come to the same conclusions.

Yeah, the planet has finite resources and even with infinite renewable energy we still will need to build things and maintain those things we built.
Yeah, when we go about our lives we produce a certain amount of waste. Nothing new learned there.

She's basically saying "we need action now" but the problem is that nobody really knows which action to take and how to make it work.

The "how dare you" stuff is great and all but it's not like the previous generations deliberately fucked up the world and honestly it ALWAYS comes down to the next generation to try and make things better. That's where she starts to sound like a whiny brat.

I don't really understand how we reconcile certain things like "USA needs to clean up the environment NOW" and "USA needs to open it's borders NOW". So you propose somehow reducing the impact of humans on the environment whilst also increasing the number of humans?

Maybe it's some kind of "testing the water"? The planet is fucked. It's the old people's fault.
So instead of coming to "us young people" for help maybe we cut down the population by "retiring" a couple of billion old people who caused the issues anyway.

It really seems like a problem with potentially no solution and all she is contributing really is saying "there is a big problem" over and over.

I get that we can't just sit there and do nothing but if nobody knows exactly what to do...

Last edited:

CausticVenom

Apr 27, 2018
Well we definitely can listen to her but I think we'd just come to the same conclusions.

Yeah, the planet has finite resources and even with infinite renewable energy we still will need to build things and maintain those things we built.
Yeah, when we go about our lives we produce a certain amount of waste. Nothing new learned there.

She's basically saying "we need action now" but the problem is that nobody really knows which action to take and how to make it work.

The "how dare you" stuff is great and all but it's not like the previous generations deliberately fucked up the world and honestly it ALWAYS comes down to the next generation to try and make things better. That's where she starts to sound like a whiny brat.

I don't really understand how we reconcile certain things like "USA needs to clean up the environment NOW" and "USA needs to open it's borders NOW". So you propose somehow reducing the impact of humans on the environment whilst also increasing the number of humans?

Maybe it's some kind of "testing the water"? The planet is fucked. It's the old people's fault.
So instead of coming to "us young people" for help maybe we cut down the population by "retiring" a couple of billion old people who caused the issues anyway.

It really seems like a problem with potentially no solution and all she is contributing really is saying "there is a big problem" over and over.

I get that we can't just sit there and do nothing but if nobody knows exactly what to do...
She's a leftist puppet. Her solution is nothing but government involvement.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: DeepEnigma
Oct 26, 2018
Except she has way more experience in the spotlight than most people.
True.

But it doesn't show since in front of a mic and camera, she can barely stay focused and answer even basic questions.

In the Montreal visit video. She can barely string together two sentence in a row, and didn't even know why she was in Montreal until she mumbled a semi-coherent response after a minute.

OptimusApex

Formerly 'AfricanKing' ... purposely obtuse
Jul 16, 2017
Man, what a stunningly stupid statement. Every now and then I read a woke poster and I think naah, they can’t possibly think this. You would have to have no exposure to people ever pretty much.
Thinking her family are not successful is daft .. you should do some research

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
of course they are successful. that is why she is in this position. they are of extreme privilege. her family is full of actors and writers and performers, and here she is, becoming famous through performance.

it's not that interesting tbh. it's just basic nepotism at work.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Collins chimes in... He is super liberal.

Makes a good point about the property principal design. But I also don’t think it’s a “19th-20th century” principal. It’s been a principal of human nature for all time, only thing different is the evolution of technology which boomed in the 19th/20th century, for better and for worse.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: MetalAlien

MetalAlien

Formerly 'MetalAlien'
Mar 6, 2005
Makes a good point about the property principal design. But I also don’t think it’s a “19th-20th century” principal. It’s been a principal of human nature for all time, only thing different is the evolution of technology which boomed in the 19th/20th century, for better and for worse.
Yea Collins can be out there sometimes in his views. But despite being bleeding edge liberal he keeps himself agreeably and civil about it... if only more people could.

Silent Duck

Sep 22, 2018
Personally, if I were her and I would have been asked that question.... I would have just started broken into singing "We're Not Going To Take It" (message).

We're right (yeah)
We're free (yeah)
We'll fight (yeah)
You'll see (yeah)

Whoa, whoa, we're not gonna take it
No, we ain't gonna take it
Oh, we're not gonna take it anymore

Awwww... For a response, I was hoping she would turn into Twisted Sister and then go on to turn the other people at the table into her band. :pie_unamused: Once again, reality has failed me.

• LOL
Reactions: DanielsM

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018