• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID: Autosport - Announcement trailer and info

viveks86

6bccaf6361b9aab7256b6206bcaf4fd4e1d8c92f_crop1090x120.jpg

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5RIoJgfQJg

Info - http://blog.codemasters.com/grid/04/introducing-grid-autosport/

Thanks CodiesLoore!

We’re very pleased today to announce GRID Autosport, the next game in the GRID series and descendant of TOCA Touring Cars.

GRID Autosport launches on June 27th on PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

As ever, our handling model has had a lot of effort put into it and you’ll really notice the difference, we think, from GRID 2. For GRID Autosport we’ve gone back to a more authentic handling style. It’s definitely not a full simulation – we want it to be authentic, not clinical – but it’s more towards that end of the spectrum than before. If anything, we believe the handling is actually one or two steps further towards simulation than Race Driver: GRID, to give you an idea.

Disciplines are various types of motorsport, of which there are five within GRID Autosport, each with its own unique style and feeling. There’s a vast difference in the way a Touring Car race unfolds compared to that of an Endurance race. Each discipline requires a different approach, strategy and comes complete with its own style of racing.

The authentic handling model has been shaped by Community feedback but we haven’t just stopped there. Cockpit view makes a return, and with it a dashboard view too, yes, GRID Autosport will ship with two in-car cameras.

UPDATE:

Gamersyde version:
http://www.gamersyde.com/download_grid_autosport_announcement_trailer-31932_en.html

SCREENSHOTS:

e8ef99c9c24fc00ff889fc5b40190fde47b026df_fit1090x0.jpg

d45283fd10ab90905133bdf2bce61e727839319b_fit1090x0.jpg

9dc80c29d284356249a8cc2cf8056223e3fc5ece_fit1090x0.jpg

e701148321faef0f7d399cf173e9c7b23bfc25f6_fit1090x0.jpg

5defe1476ed5883dfa149804d7d29fb9c64eba6a_fit1090x0.jpg

how long until they announce the XB1/PS4 versions? E3?

100% genuinely not on the cards at the moment.

Will there still be split-screen in the PC version?

Customisation - yes, we've improved the livery editor in GRID 2
Upgrades - yes
Tuning - yes

Will there be a demo?
None currently planned, all resource is being piled directly into the game itself.

Some screenshots from the 1080p/60 Gamersyde trailer:

Blimblim delivers!

Jarama Gameplay

DieH@rd

Banned
For GRID Autosport we’ve gone back to a more authentic handling style. It’s definitely not a full simulation – we want it to be authentic, not clinical – but it’s more towards that end of the spectrum than before. If anything, we believe the handling is actually one or two steps further towards simulation than Race Driver: GRID, to give you an idea.

TL:DR – Yes, we have an in-car view, two in fact.

:)

Razyl

Its sounds really nice. A handling more like Race Driver: Grid? Team-Managment? Open career mode? Yeah, i think i'm in.

Hoje0308

Banned
The more they distance themselves from Grid 2, the more promising this sounds. The changes to the handling model seem significant, judging from the way you could really see the suspension working in the trailer.

I'm excited.

The more they distance themselves from Grid 2, the more promising this sounds. The changes to the handling model seem significant, judging from the way you could really see the suspension working in the trailer.

I'm excited.

This is a very different beast to GRID 2.

As a note, if any of you are UK based drop me a PM and we'll get you in to play the game first hand. Playing is believing and all that.

tait269

From YouTube:

GRID is back and it's going back to its roots!

GRID: Autosport aims to move the series back in line as a more authentic racing game. Set to include a more authentic handling model (more Sim than Race Driver: GRID), five distinct disciplines; Touring, Endurance, Open Wheel, Tuner and Street. Race at 22 locations (primarily circuit based) with a combined route list that totals over 100.

This game is, at its heart, inspired by you guys, our core community.

No next gen, son I am disappoint.

Wonder what that means for F1 2014, I'm sure they said they are rebuilding the game for next gen, surely they could use the same engine for this?

Zeknurn

Looks like they have been trying to tell us something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtmH9bldhmE

And some info:
- Offers previous features from the series
- Largest amount of content yet
- Will feel like an authentic experience
- Different styles of driving
- Career mode: become a professional pilot, get a teammate, get a sponsorship, and advance to the top
- Several types of cars ranging from prototypes to super-modified vehicles
- 22 locations
- Over 100 courses
- Online: join racing clubs and participate in weekly challenges
- Share stats and climb to the leaderboards of RaceNet

Link

Yes, PC as lead platform for us (it's not a PC port as some have said).

Next-gen GRID will come in time, we're not going to rush that and get a game that can only run at 720/30 or something similar, next gen has to look and feel like 'next gen' for us.

So,

- classic gameplay
- 100% usability of FFB wheels
- 100 tracks on 22 locations
- proper career mode
- we got a hint of cockpit return?

Okay, I am damn interested.

Here you go:

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5RIoJgfQJg

Info - http://blog.codemasters.com/grid/04/introducing-grid-autosport/

In short...more authentic handling, bucket load of racing circuits, multiple disciplines of racing, some classic cars, racing for a team again, teammates, Ravenwest and more!

I'll be about over the course of the day to answer any questions etc :)

Well I'm cautiously optimistic. They're no doubt making the right choices so far.

oipic

As always the proof will be in the racing, but this announcement makes all the right noises. Very pleased with the general direction this is headed, and with the seemingly very honest self-appraisal that appears to have taken place post-GRID 2.

Wishlisting on Steam the moment that store page goes up. Excited!

fasTRapid

Banned
It sucks there's no PS4/XBO version. The first Grid was my favorite racing game last generation.
Yes and yes. Sad to see the GRID name appear solely again though, after the turd of a Race Driver: GRID sequel that GRID 2 was.

Why don't you just call it Race Driver: GRID 2 and act as if the shame-bringing second son has never existed?

SparkTR

PC lead is interesting, I've got my racing wheel setup to my PC for Assetto Corsa so if it is tailored towards that I'll give it a shot.

MJLord

This is a very different beast to GRID 2.

As a note, if any of you are UK based drop me a PM and we'll get you in to play the game first hand. Playing is believing and all that.

I am incredibly tempted to take you up on that!

This all looks exactly what I liked about codies games as a kid! Roll on summer!

If it's PC lead is interesting, I've got my racing wheel setup to my PC for Assetto Corsa so if it is tailored towards that I'll give it a shot.

A lot of work gone into our PC version, a port it most definitely isn't.

4K Textures are a PC only feature btw.

Damigos

I am officially hyped ! Day 1!

And at last, a developer that chooses to announce a game 2 months before it's available to players. I am tired of announcements happening 1-2 years before releases..

Broritos

I think I played the first Grid for a total of about six minutes. Thought it was alright and was always a bit interested in getting into the series but the mixed user reception on Grid 2
made me a bit weary. Judging by the trailer and blog post, Autosport looks and sounds really cool though. I want to day 1 this on PC so I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it.

BPoole

I love when games are announced close to their release. I'll definitely be buying the PC version.

I am curious why there are no PS4/XB1 versions though. Seems like a missed opportunity considering the racing genre is extremely limited on those platforms

I was increasingly interested the more i read and actually got a bit giggly when i saw the release date is my birthday! Yay!

All my mates will be at Glastonbury so i get to be a sad sack and race against you lot :)
Welcome back, Codies! Let's see what you've got.

Spades

Maybe this means they're just making a new TOCA Touring Cars game based on the BTCC for the next-gen consoles.
Right? :(

MaxiLive

I love when games are announced close to their release. I'll definitely be buying the PC version.

I am curious why there are no PS4/XB1 versions though. Seems like a missed opportunity considering the racing genre is extremely limited on those platforms

Guessing not enough time and resources to get it running on Next-Gen without cutting some significant corners. If this was due out early next year then maybe but I would personally rather have the game in the summer while there is a drought, that would be the PC version though so I might be slightly biased.

The game is sounding great either way from a gameplay and content point of view its only the graphics that wouldn't live up to that next-gen feel. That said from the screenshots and trailer the graphics look pretty great in most cases, the odd rough edge here and there.

Codemasters is in Southam isn't it?

Yes, not far from Leamington Spa.

Hasney

All sounds brilliant. Only thing I think I'll miss from the original GRID is the banger car racing. Was a fun diversion on that figure of 8 racing track smashing into everyone when I didn't fancy some serious racing.

Still, I'll have this and Next Car Game anyway, so best of both worlds!

EDIT: Would probably have checked it out if I still lived in Northamptonshire. Serves me right for becoming northern.

Tibbs-McGee

Neo Member
Just bought Race Driver: GRID and have been having a blast with it, so I'll definitely be getting this. The focus on circuits looks promising, got excited as soon as I saw Sepang in the trailer.

Tankshell

Well, with the return of Cockpit camera, and a focus on PC version, I wonder if they have any plans for supporting the Oculus Rift? Both Dirt 2/3 and Grid 1 worked well with 3rd party drivers...

Codemasters is in Southam isn't it?

Yes.

@Hasney - Demo Derby is in from the start for AUtosport.

Regarding next-gen, ultimately it comes down to a few things.

The first is that we genuinely want our first next gen outing to be something really great, we don't want to have to rush and only put out a handful of tracks. We've got 22 locations in Autosport, the bulk of those are real world circuits, would all those have made it if we were to support next gen? Doubtful.

Secondly, we're working our tech for next-gen now, as such, we're not quite ready. Again, we don't want to rush :)

Thirdly, after GRID 2 we sort of had something to prove, we wanted to leave the 'old gen' with a bit of a bang so to speak.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Looks nice and an improvement over GRID 2 but will probably pass. May have picked it up down the line if it released for current consoles.

Foshy

Yes.

@Hasney - Demo Derby is in from the start for AUtosport.

Regarding next-gen, ultimately it comes down to a few things.

The first is that we genuinely want our first next gen outing to be something really great, we don't want to have to rush and only put out a handful of tracks. We've got 22 locations in Autosport, the bulk of those are real world circuits, would all those have made it if we were to support next gen? Doubtful.

Secondly, we're working our tech for next-gen now, as such, we're not quite ready. Again, we don't want to rush :)

Thirdly, after GRID 2 we sort of had something to prove, we wanted to leave the 'old gen' with a bit of a bang so to speak.

Can we at least expect this years F1 game to come out on PS4/XB1 though?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Y'all hatin on GRID 2 need to admit that it is actually a great game and you just don't prefer the style of racer that it is. Simcade is a burgeoning genre and GRID 2 is the best one. A bad game fails at what it attempts. GRID 2 just had different dreams for itself than what you had for it.

That said, I am very excited about this new game. 22 locations!

Lynq

Banned
If anything, we believe the handling is actually one or two steps further towards simulation than Race Driver: GRID, to give you an idea.

That's enough for me. Even if driving would be exactly like in GRID1, it would be 99999999 times better than in GRID2, which was definitely too arcade'y (or should I say "drifty"?).

I like what I'm hearing. Buying this on PC so I don't really care about lack of next-gen version.

By the way, it would be awesome if more devs announced their games two months before release. Weird feeling... We don't have to wait a year oO

Top Bottom