• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID: Autosport |OT| Zippin' Up My Boots, Goin' Back To My Roots, Yeah

TheBear

I think race length should affect XP modifiers. I like the idea of lengthening races, but with no extra XP as an incentive it's kind of pointless.

amar212

After lot of playtime I really think AI should be made less ramming-aggressive in Hard/Very Hard modes.

There is no purpose in having Mechanical Damage enabled in Street races because there is no way you can get alive out of the carnage.

And without Mechanical Damage the motivation for clean lapping becomes very low.

Still an amazing game.

I went from CSW to G25 and I am having a blast simply because I feel no remorse in killing G25 (smaller rim diameter also benefits the speed of steering).

After trying the game with CSW, CSR Elite and G25 I still do not understand the Rushy's point regarding wheel support. I am using Multiturn, Wheel weight on 50% and altering steering sensitivity from 2-4, depending which type of cars I am driving (all in default 900 mode). Everything is damn good like that IMO

leng jai

After lot of playtime I really think AI should be made less ramming-aggressive in Hard/Very Hard modes.

There is no purpose in having Mechanical Damage enabled in Street races because there is no way you can get alive out of the carnage.

And without Mechanical Damage the motivation for clean lapping becomes very low.

Still an amazing game.

I went from CSW to G25 and I am having a blast simply because I feel no remorse in killing G25 (smaller rim diameter also benefits the speed of steering).

After trying the game with CSW, CSR Elite and G25 I still do not understand the Rushy's point regarding wheel support. I am using Multiturn, Wheel weight on 50% and altering steering sensitivity from 2-4, depending which type of cars I am driving (all in default 900 mode). Everything is damn good like that IMO

Agree so much. Three races in a row in Street where I've had to restart the race 10+ times because of the AI being hyper aggressive. Unless you're way out in front it's simply impossible to avoid being smashed around. Simply infuriating.

I just tried Endurance for the first time and I think I'm close to being done with this game :(

I just tried Endurance for the first time and I think I'm close to being done with this game :(

For the sake of your own sanity, reduce the Difficulty by a notch for Endurance (so if Medium -> Easy).

Ravenwest is even more hax in that discipline for some reason as compared to the other race types.

Do the AI cars suffer from tyre wear in endurance? Very hard to keep ahead on 2x race length while trying not to spin all the time on the last laps.

amar212

Do the AI cars suffer from tyre wear in endurance?

I think they do, at least I think they are getting slower to the end of the race because of that. But what is more important is something else IMO:

Do AI cars suffer from mechanical damage if my car suffers from mechanical damage?

If they would endure mechanical damage in the same way player's car endures it, it wold make much more sense.

Without their mechanical damage - and I am 99,99% sure they do not endure mechanical damage - complete idea of mechanical damage as handicap (challenge) becomes irrelevant, since they can smack me and whatever they want without any consequences and nothing I do can compensate for that.

leng jai

When the AI cars so much as touch me I pretty much spin out 80% of the time while when I full on smash into them they're barely affected.

Foshy

This is hands down the best game Codemasters has put out during the PS360 era for me. The AI is pretty good and the handling of the cars feels nice too.

Hope they keep up this quality with their next titles on PS4/XB1.

RP912

Banned
This game is hell to play. I only do street races and touring car races. Endurance is frustrating to play. Besides those issues....probably the best game out of the series.

leng jai

Does this game feel like a grind to anyone else? I mean it's fun most of the time, but the structure of the game feels pretty tedious at times while having no real sense of progression.

TheBear

I think that is a bug and is supposed to be addressed in a future patch. Loore made a note of it in a previous post iirc.

OK excellent. Do tyres degrade differently over longer races? Can you choose from soft. medium and hard? Do the endurance races incorporate pit stops at all?

TJP

Saw this picture on the Steam forums titled 'Easter Egg':

C2BB010D50AEC9FFC7A6BFDFEB13653CF3F7CDAA

@CodiesLoore - care to explain why the dash reads '80085' ?
When I was at school this was how one spelt boobs

I've also noticed on the PC version the benchmarking tool is not as useful as it could be as the AI is inconsistent as is the players finishing position. I've seen the AI spin, flip and crash in one benchmarking run and then the AI do nothing out of the ordinary in the next. I'm pretty sure the benchmarking in the F1 games runs a set pattern each and every time.

I've also noted that one or more braking marker boards are always smashed at the start of a practice session. Any reason for this?

Lego Boss

For the sake of your own sanity, reduce the Difficulty by a notch for Endurance (so if Medium -> Easy).

Ravenwest is even more hax in that discipline for some reason as compared to the other race types.

Yes. I'm glad I'm not the only one hating on Endurance. It's not fun when your tyres go off and then some MF tips you out from behind while that stupid timer is counting down.

It reminds me of Eliminator events (you can dive up the inside of someone to grab two places, even if you haven't been running there) and, like the inclusion of drift, it just seems like it's there because someone said it had to be.

It's jokez, so take it down to easy and don't worry about it . . . for me it's still difficult even there (and I play on hard with only ABS on the other disciplines).

undu

I think they do, at least I think they are getting slower to the end of the race because of that. But what is more important is something else IMO:

Do AI cars suffer from mechanical damage if my car suffers from mechanical damage?

If they would endure mechanical damage in the same way player's car endures it, it wold make much more sense.

Without their mechanical damage - and I am 99,99% sure they do not endure mechanical damage - complete idea of mechanical damage as handicap (challenge) becomes irrelevant, since they can smack me and whatever they want without any consequences and nothing I do can compensate for that.

I remember totalling AI cars, felt great.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah it seems like damage is something for online racing because the AI cars are invulnerable jackasses who don't care about professionalism or have any need to worry about their own survival. That is one not very "authentic" thing that has come into view over time.

Lach

I still haven't had too much time to play...but I'm really enjoing it. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun racing against AI.

Quick question. I haven't seen any penalties given other than for cutting the track. Are there harsher penalties (for example for raming in higher Touring car seasons)?

DD

You guys wash your mouths! Endurance and Open Wheelers are the best part of this game. Street and tuner sucks. ;D

Megasoum

Banned
You guys wash your mouths! Endurance and Open Wheelers are the best part of this game. Street and tuner sucks. ;D

Open wheel is the best part and yes tuner sucks. Not a big fan of Endurance tho. Street is fine for now while I'm still driving slow cars but I generally don't like street racing with supercars.

Also, I finished a season of touring yesterday and I'm now 100xp short of level 6 and the next grid championship.... /"%$/%"$/%/$%

RP912

Banned
One thing I can say about this game is that multiplayer is fun as hell. I didn't have no issue with rammers and it was pretty chill.

amar212

One thing I can say about this game is that multiplayer is fun as hell. I didn't have no issue with rammers and it was pretty chill.

RaceNet Challenges and correspodnig online carrer are also great, my favorite part of the game design-wise. I like the idea of fully separate online career as well as implementation and logic of permanent detoriation tied with leveling and RaceNet Clubs.

While I get constantly rammed in normal online races, hoppers are really welcomed and so far well saturated (PS3), so I really enjoy them.

GRASP is a great package.

I've also noted that one or more braking marker boards are always smashed at the start of a practice session. Any reason for this?

I've always presumed that was caused by one of the AI cars that start before you entering the corner a bit too wide.

Megasoum

Banned
Some of the weird things I've noticed in the game.

Everytime I start a practice or a qualifications, I will always have a TON of advance on everybody else for every sectors (purple times often -2 or -3 seconds even) but then when I pass the start/finish I will be very close (inside one second). I can't be that bad in the last sector of every single track can I? This is only for the first lap. After that I will be improving (or not lol) on my own time.

Second thing is that in over 80 races I never had one single good start lol. I'm always at least second or third by the first corner.

TheBear

Yeah it seems like damage is something for online racing because the AI cars are invulnerable jackasses who don't care about professionalism or have any need to worry about their own survival. That is one not very "authentic" thing that has come into view over time.

In endurance do the other cars tyres degrade as quickly as your own?

BPoole

I think I'm a bad person because I'm enjoying street and tuner the most
I find both of them very fun as well. The sense of speed when you're going 170+mph down a narrow track on a street race is super intense and can't really be matched in the other disciplines since the courses are much more open.

I honestly love all the disciplines pretty equally except endurance which pissed me off because of the Ravenwest duo

Everytime I start a practice or a qualifications, I will always have a TON of advance on everybody else for every sectors (purple times often -2 or -3 seconds even) but then when I pass the start/finish I will be very close (inside one second). I can't be that bad in the last sector of every single track can I? This is only for the first lap. After that I will be improving (or not lol) on my own time.

Let me explain this with an example:

You start a session, best time so far is 1:30.00

You pass the first sector, split says you were 2 seconds faster.

You pass the second sector, split says you were 3 seconds faster.

Meanwhile, Nathan McKane finishes a lap in 1:27.5

You pass the finish line, your lap is 1:27, split says you were .5 faster.

Megasoum

Banned
Let me explain this with an example:

You start a session, best time so far is 1:30.00

You pass the first sector, split says you were 2 seconds faster.

You pass the second sector, split says you were 3 seconds faster.

Meanwhile, Nathan McKane finishes a lap in 1:27.5

You pass the finish line, your lap is 1:27, split says you were .5 faster.

Sure but that's ridiculous that it's happening every single practice or qualifications.

TJP

Have there been any hints at what's coming up in the expansions?
Have a read of the CM blog: http://blog.codemasters.com/grid/06/launch-day-is-almost-here/

Car Packs:
Car packs are exactly how you’d imagine, they include new cars for the game and we’ve currently got three of these planned. Integration of the car packs is something that we know is hugely important to you, and through the feedback you’ve given us we’re confident that you won’t have any issues with mismatched compatibility. If you have a car pack and a friend doesn’t, you’ll still be able to race together and more importantly, see each other’s cars.

Mini – Expansions:
Again, from the feedback we received we know you don’t like individual tracks being made available for DLC and you also told us that you prefer content that adds to both the single and multiplayer experience, so we’ve done just that for GRID Autosport.

There will be three mini-expansions for GRID Autosport and each will have a specific ‘theme’ surrounding it. The mini-expansions will each include a selection of new locations, some will include new cars and in some cases new game modes entirely.

Each mini-expansion will also bring with it a brand new addition to the single player experience, so while you’ll be able to take your new content online, you’ll also be able to play it offline.

The Steam Store says 8 Content Packs at a cost of $29.99 USD/AUD or £23.99 so they'll want to be pretty damn good additions. For reference I paid £14.96 for the limited black edition..

It's passable at best. It's quite clear that the game's steering is optimised for the short throw of an analogue stick. The steering only feels 'correct' in terms of response if I set my wheel to 270 degrees. If played at 900, I have to fart around with the saturation or linearity sliders, which again only feel right once the steering is responding 1:1 in that 270 degree range. The only benefit of running a higher lock is that you don't get that jarring 'soft lock' at 270, but otherwise it's the same. I hope one day Codemasters make a game with proper 900 degree support.

amar212

It's passable at best. It's quite clear that the game's steering is optimised for the short throw of an analogue stick. The steering only feels 'correct' in terms of response if I set my wheel to 270 degrees. If played at 900, I have to fart around with the saturation or linearity sliders, which again only feel right once the steering is responding 1:1 in that 270 degree range. The only benefit of running a higher lock is that you don't get that jarring 'soft lock' at 270, but otherwise it's the same. I hope one day Codemasters make a game with proper 900 degree support.

I can't comprehend this, sorrry.

Okay, maybe I am crazy to actually want to play game and actually steer the car - not throw it around - but under no circumstances I can't play it with 270 degree (no multiturn).

For me, everything is completely and 100% logically playable at 900 (multiturn ON) and with slight modification of linearity (accessible via pause menu for further convenience):

1 for touring and race cars
2 for street cars
3 for open wheelers

Game has very logical 900-support IMO, I see no big deal.

On related note, I have to use different values for Fanatec CSW (above are for Logitech G25) because of the rim-size and compensation for the "anchor line", so I used +1 values on the above

I find great that game allows for tailoring such details.

But to each his own I guess.

Matush

Sorry, but that's straigh BS.

"Gain a boost of approximately 50% more XP in career mode and around 50% more XP, Vehicle XP and in-game Cash when you race online."

So game was basically altered to make progression slower and now, you can buy "booster" pack to accelerate it? Wut. Release the damn patch instead, so I won't lose my Online/Carrer progress again!

Top Bottom